Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2013   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's discuss Texans ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Reed is staying at OLB(at least according to Pancakes): https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/s...25604630462465

Makes me think it would come down to looking at ILBs in the draft over OLBs; but they could certainly use depth on the outside again.
That coming from "Pancakes" it's almost an absolute that Reed will move inside.
Old 03-31-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Fair enough. But when we go dime (6 db's), who are the two players from our base package coming out? It's typically the NT and one ILB.
Not if Short is the Texans 1st rd pick.

I would be extremely happy if Klein and Knott were the 4-5th rd picks.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That coming from "Pancakes" it's almost an absolute that Reed will move inside.
If Pancakes says they're leaving Brooks at OLB and not moving him to ILB, then they're moving him down to DE.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If Pancakes says they're leaving Brooks at OLB and not moving him to ILB, then they're moving him down to DE.

Sooooo, in other words, "if Pancakes" says it, there is more than a good chance that Reed will be our nickel corner, no??
Old 03-31-2013   #25
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Sooooo, in other words, "if Pancakes" says it, there is more than a good chance that Reed will be our nickel corner, no??
Let me reiterate for you.

If Pancakes says he is going to be our OLB, it means Reed will be our Head Coach next season.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
When discussing ILB, Wade's defense and the way he plays his LB's has to be part of the discussion. Unless they change things up, Cushing plays the strong side ILB position. Wade will typically blitz this LB 20-25% of the time, but he will also cover underneath in the zone. The weak side ILB position will blitz only about 5 - 10% of the time, but he will have more cover responsibility, having responsibility for the middle of the field in zone.

Ideally, and for the team to really improve defensively, we need a weak side ILB who will be a three down player.

Both Bostic and Klein had respectable production in coverage. I'd also add Klein's teammate, Jake Knott, to the shortlist of possibilities who will be available in the mid-rounds. The draft is deep at this position and we should have an excellent opportunity to upgrade.
In 2011, Cushing played WILB about 40% of the time, but he was moved there on a more FT basis in 2012, at least 60% of the time.
It was Wade's plan from the beginning of the season.

The Texans will probably be looking for a MIKE, if they decide to draft one.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am not sold on Reed moving to ILB but either way, Texans will probably draft OLB in top 3 rounds. Last draft it was with pick one (Mercilus). If Reed does not move, tell me what you think we need to replace Bradie James. Will another scrub vet be the direction Phillips goes or will he want a top three round draft selection.

IMO if we draft by round three we could go with a round 4 or after ILB. I like
Klein or Beauharnais in 5th and think he would do well beside Cush and behind Brandon Williams. Also the addition of Ed Reed would make the transition smoother for a late round guy.
Quote:
Ideally, and for the team to really improve defensively, we need a weak side ILB who will be a three down player.

Both Bostic and Klein had respectable production in coverage. I'd also add Klein's teammate, Jake Knott, to the shortlist of possibilities.
Those guys deserve considerations; I like Sio Moore better both on tapes (he also had good weeks at the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl) and at the combine.

This guy really can play at any of the four LB spots.
He can run with TEs and RBs, even with some slots, too.
He was used everywhere at UConn and played well at each and all spots; extremely versatile.

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/03/08/sio...outing-report/
Old 04-01-2013   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I'm on board with reed at ILB. Athletic and can tackle. That will force us to take an OLB with a high pick which I'm always behind. Can never have too many pass rushers and Reed wasn't exactly impressing with his skills at that position.

Braman, Mercilus, and draft pick will make a great rotation IMO.

See QB. Get QB. Do sack dance. Congrats. I just wrote those guys' play book for next season.
Bolded is why I can see a rookie starting across from one season Mercilus. A rookie Nose on this line also could fit in. I think a vet ILB will start but lower round ILB will be drafted.
Old 04-01-2013   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaux View Post
i wouldn't mind bostic and i'd like dobbins and rudd back as well . . .

i've been leaning towards ilb in the 1st and had been eyeing ogletree or minter . . . i just don't see the value in a wr at 27 when we can get the same quality with our 2nd . . . robert wood keeps catching my attention.

we are in a pretty good position to where we can take bpa of need . . . trading out of the 1st for another 2nd+ would be the way to go if we can find a partner . . . i can't figure out what wade likes at nt so i really can't tell you when he might take 1 . . . they are liable to go fast in the 1st, but we could find value in the 3rd . . . and a safety in the 1st 4 picks is needed for depth . . . so my best value draft would be:

s or ilb (although if the right nt fell)
wr
s or ilb
nt

btw, i don't see reed moving inside full time which takes away the need for the starter there.
May take away need for starter but not necessarily picking OLB in first as we did last draft.
Old 04-01-2013   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Those guys deserve considerations; I like Sio Moore better both on tapes (he also had good weeks at the Shrine game and the Senior Bowl) and at the combine.

This guy really can play at any of the four LB spots.
He can run with TEs and RBs, even with some slots, too.
He was used everywhere at UConn and played well at each and all spots; extremely versatile.

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/03/08/sio...outing-report/
Moore is good candidate and would be there @ 57. Three Amigos are discussing him.
Old 04-01-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm worried about Brooks and merci at olb. That duo doesn't excite me. I need to see more from merciless. I didn't see him show the ability to beat blocks last season or in college really. Reed to me rushes like a good pass rushing dt. That's his pass rush style IMO.

I personally don't think merciless, barwin nor reed are hood pass rushers. I think merciless has the most potential there simply because he's quicker than the other two, but meh....

We need another guy out there, or we need to seriously consider letting braman get some real pass rushing attempts. If we roll reed and merciless out there, our pass rush is going to be about the same as last year. Maybe a little better, nothing to write home about.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm worried about Brooks and merci at olb. That duo doesn't excite me. I need to see more from merciless. I didn't see him show the ability to beat blocks last season or in college really. Reed to me rushes like a good pass rushing dt. That's his pass rush style IMO.

I personally don't think merciless, barwin nor reed are hood pass rushers. I think merciless has the most potential there simply because he's quicker than the other two, but meh....

We need another guy out there, or we need to seriously consider letting braman get some real pass rushing attempts. If we roll reed and merciless out there, our pass rush is going to be about the same as last year. Maybe a little better, nothing to write home about.
Is Shaun Phillips still available?
Would you consider him?
If so, for how long and how much ?
Old 04-01-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you consider him?
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't seen him play in a while tbh.

But if he's got anything left I'd consider a two year deal, but not really sure on the money...

Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice a couple years ago to package Mario and whatever else to acquire denvers pick and grab Von miller while keeping our own pick and still having watt.

I know, I know....unrealistic but it's fun to think about..
Old 04-01-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Would you consider him?
Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. I haven't seen him play in a while tbh.

But if he's got anything left I'd consider a two year deal, but not really sure on the money...

Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice a couple years ago to package Mario and whatever else to acquire denvers pick and grab Von miller while keeping our own pick and still having watt.

I know, I know....unrealistic but it's fun to think about..
9.5 sacks last year.

Probably his last contract; perhaps 3.5-4M per for 2-3 years, just my guess.
Old 04-01-2013   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
9.5 sacks last year.

Probably his last contract; perhaps 3.5-4M per for 2-3 years, just my guess.
Off of production alone...yes...I'd bring him in.

Seems like he'd be a really good addition for multiple reasons...
Old 04-01-2013   #36
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Why do you say this? Both Demeco & Bradie was the guy replaced when we went nickel or dime. Are you suggesting Wade change up his defense on passing downs?
Last season we were beaten up by the new breed of large & quick TE coming across into the shallow middle zone. We were also taken advantage of by the faster paced teams when we were just a bit slow with our substitutions. By having a larger LB ( say 6'-2", 250 lbs, running in the 4.6 range ) we match up better against these TE's, while giving Wade more flexibility in his defensive calls. I get a feeling that Wade hasn't quite had the personnel to fully execute his defense and this would be improved by a three down ILB.

A large ,strong, fast SS who could play in the box and who could help seal the middle against the run would also help.

All defenses have a weak spot which can be attacked. Wade's 1-gap 34 defense has it's weak spot right up the middle and this is where we need the most improvement.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #37
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In 2011, Cushing played WILB about 40% of the time, but he was moved there on a more FT basis in 2012, at least 60% of the time.
It was Wade's plan from the beginning of the season.

The Texans will probably be looking for a MIKE, if they decide to draft one.
Thanks for clearing this up. I did read that DeMeco played the weakside because he was not a strong pass rusher; and Cushing was on the strongside. Of course Wade will change things up, but I would love to have Cushing rushing up the middle.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am not sold on Reed moving to ILB but either way, Texans will probably draft OLB in top 3 rounds. Last draft it was with pick one (Mercilus). If Reed does not move, tell me what you think we need to replace Bradie James. Will another scrub vet be the direction Phillips goes or will he want a top three round draft selection.

IMO if we draft by round three we could go with a round 4 or after ILB. I like
Klein or Beauharnais in 5th and think he would do well beside Cush and behind Brandon Williams. Also the addition of Ed Reed would make the transition smoother for a late round guy.
IMO, we need to find a place where Reed can shine. He's a second round pick. He is not a pass rusher, so we really don't need him taking the majority of his snaps on the line.

Move him back, next to Cushing & give him an opportunity to make more plays. Like Cuhsing, he was the Strongside LB. In a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, but they play pretty much the same. Moving Reed would be like moving Cushing. But since he's not scraping at the line with TEs or slot receivers, he should fare a little better.

On passing downs, we can put him back on the line like a 4-3 DE if his replacement isn't up to snuff. But we need to find another pass rusher, just in case we've already seen the best of Whitney Merciless.

Heck, I'd probably rather see Mr. Alexander or Sharpton play the SOLB position on 1st & 2nd downs than Reed, along with drafting an outside pass rusher, because Reed ain't an outside pass rusher.
Old 04-02-2013   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Totally agree with this post.... well except that Merci, Barwin, or Reed aren't hood pass rushers... I don't know what they did in the hood.

But we definitely need to find an outside pass rusher. I want a WR or even a OG (LG specifically) so badly, but if we get a pass rusher in the first, I won't be mad.
Old 04-02-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Last season we were beaten up by the new breed of large & quick TE coming across into the shallow middle zone. We were also taken advantage of by the faster paced teams when we were just a bit slow with our substitutions. By having a larger LB ( say 6'-2", 250 lbs, running in the 4.6 range ) we match up better against these TE's, while giving Wade more flexibility in his defensive calls. I get a feeling that Wade hasn't quite had the personnel to fully execute his defense and this would be improved by a three down ILB.

A large ,strong, fast SS who could play in the box and who could help seal the middle against the run would also help.

All defenses have a weak spot which can be attacked. Wade's 1-gap 34 defense has it's weak spot right up the middle and this is where we need the most improvement.
Glover Quin is 6'0" 207 lbs.... probably runs in the 4.6-4.5 range. I think a 6-2 220lb linebacker that runs a 4.6 would be ideal. If he can turn his hips like a DB that is. He'll have to turn & run with these TEs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read