Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-28-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Sports Illustrated 2013 Mocks

Don Banks>INSIDE THE NFL
2013 NFL Mock Draft 3.0

Quote:
27. Houston Texans WR Keenan Allen Cal Jr. 6-2 206
About 94 percent of mock-dom has the Texans taking a first-round receiver, so of course, it's probably wrong. But the need to add a threat opposite Andre Johnson is painfully obvious, and Allen is the highest-rated receiver left on the board. Sometimes you can't over-think these things.
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2OrNhtaLx

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-28-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling in title
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sports Iluustrated 2013 Mocks

No brainer if there but falling this way is the bigger question!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Yeah, for instance I think Te'o drops into 2nd round.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101434 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You think he is better than Hopkins or even Woods? If so how much? If it fell this way I would rather go Short or Hankins. Its defiantly not a no brainer to go with Allen.
Old 03-28-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You think he is better than Hopkins or even Woods? If so how much? If it fell this way I would rather go Short or Hankins. Its defiantly not a no brainer to go with Allen.
Allen is a #1 WR. Best in class ahead of Patterson. I would call that a no brainer.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-28-2013   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Allen is a #1 WR. Best in class ahead of Patterson. I would call that a no brainer.
I don't know about that to be honest. I also don't think Woods or Hopkins are good enough to be top tier WR1. I don't think any of those 3 has the upside necessary.
Old 03-28-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to wait until Allen works out on early April to see what extent his injury was, but I'm thinking he's the closest among the 3 with the potential to be a #1.

In my eyes, both Hopkins and Woods are more likely #2.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013   #8
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed, I have felt this way for a long time. Patterson is an athletic freak and all but Keenan Allen has a higher floor, and his ceiling isn't really much lower. Best WR in the draft IMO and the best case scenario for us.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101434 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I don't know about that to be honest. I also don't think Woods or Hopkins are good enough to be top tier WR1. I don't think any of those 3 has the upside necessary.
Which was my point.
Old 03-29-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Allen is 100% healthy it is a no brainer.
Old 03-29-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Allen is 100% healthy it is a no brainer.
Meh. IMO y'all are over rating him and under rating others that could be available at that point.
Old 03-29-2013   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Meh. IMO y'all are over rating him and under rating others that could be available at that point.
that's a very vague statement. I mentioned to friends when I saw his injury that it would be blown out of proportion & people will think he could fall to the Texans, so here we are, draft hyperbole. Closest thing to total package in WR class, that's my opinion you obviously have yours. He is not a top 10 pick but at least top 20. Crabtree is looking strong now but took him four years & he was the 10th overall selection & he had a foot fracture I believe so he couldn't run either, similar styles think he ran a 4.55 so that is about what I expect from Allen if he chooses to run. Dez Bryant is another comparable, with exception of his off field antics dude can still ball & is a playmaker he dropped to #24 & ran his forty 4.52. All three receivers have excellent vision & can create yards after the catch. Really hard to rate those three players against each other for various positive & negative attributes but I would say Kennan is the cleanest & most willing to sacrifice whatever it takes for the team.

In regards to rest of group, I also love Austin speed & playmaking ability. Maybe more like a DeSean Jackson or smaller Percy Harvin but because of his less than ideal NFL size he will probably go after Allen. Other teams besides Texans are intrigued with size/speed/strength ratios. Hopkins is a baller, tough, reliable but not a game breaker. Have a hard time differentiating between Hunter & Da'Rick Rodgers must be a Tennessee thing? Rodgers is probably the closest thing to Allen if you can trust him off the field? Great movement skills & game breaking ability, better speed too, just those red flags are hard to ignore, might work out just fine in a place like Cincinnati. Hunter is a first round tweener who reminds me of Lestar Jean, just lacks core strength, beautiful acrobatic frame to make highlight reel catches but how will he hold up? Patterson lets just say is still a raw talent. He is worth selection for his return skills alone but depending on his work ethic & intelligence Teams may be willing to take their time developing that natural ability. I just don't see him as an impact WR anytime soon. Quinton Patton is a personal favorite, plays with passion for the game which can make up for a lot. I think he will develop into a killer #2 for some team & if Texans chose that route I would look forward to immediate results, just wish he had more speed to stretch the field.

Anyway that is pretty much my take on Keenan Allen comparable both in the league now & next to arrive. He is a top tier talent who fits the NFL prototype for position.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-29-2013   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Sports Illustrated 2013 Mocks

Actually when I said " under rating others that could be available at that point.", I wasn't talking about other WR's. I was talking about all positions. There could easily be another player at another position that is rated higher than Allen. In which case it is NOT a no brainer.
Old 03-29-2013   #14
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
3. Keenan Allen, California
4. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
So that's how Banks ranks the WRs this year. OK, what would be your thoughts/observations on that ranking from the Texans' perspectives ?
In other words, maybe not necessarily your personal rankings of WRs, but given the needs of the Texans and their urgency to help AJ and continue their playoff push, what's your thinking about how the Texans have these guys on their Board ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
3. Keenan Allen, California
4. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
So that's how Banks ranks the WRs this year. OK, what would be your thoughts/observations on that ranking from the Texans' perspectives ?
In other words, maybe not necessarily your personal rankings of WRs, but given the needs of the Texans and their urgency to help AJ and continue their playoff push, what's your thinking about how the Texans have these guys on their Board ?
We probably can scratch off Austin since we've already got a slot in KMart.
Old 03-30-2013   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, the highest upside WR in the draft is Da'Rick Rogers IMHO.

In terms of potential, that group of Tennessee-ish WR's is on a whole different level. None of them are what we would call polished by any stretch, but those are the gamebreakers. Gambles for sure, but wow. Patterson is the most ready of this group, then Hunter, then Rogers. Rogers has those off the field issues as well, and Hunter has some unknowns with his injury history. Still.

Guys like Hopkins, Allen, and Patton are guys that can step on the field next year from day one and give you 600 yds and 5 TDs. They are talented and ready to play. The thing with these guys is at the end of their rookie contracts, you'll still be getting 800 yds 6 TDs. Which is nothing to shake our heads at, but it's also not enough to be a WR1 and command attention from the rest of the offense.

That's why I don't want to see us take Allen, Hopkins, or Patton in the first. And no, I don't think Austin even qualifies for discussion for WR1.

Last edited by YoungTexanFan; 03-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Honestly, the highest upside WR in the draft is Da'Rick Rogers IMHO.
I agree with "the highest", anyway.

Forget Rogers pot smoking and Allen's knee for a moment. Allen is the better WR prospect. Allen has better hands, is quicker, is more elusive, has a better understanding of the passing game. They are equal in straight line speed. Rogers is bigger and stronger. That's it. I would gamble on Allen anytime over Rogers.
Old 03-31-2013   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

But see this is my problem with many people's analysis of Allen vs. Hunter. 1 guy was injured in 2011 had a great bounce back season in 2012. the other guy got injured in 2012, and still might have issues going into the draft. but when people are grading both these guys, they significantly knock hunter more, for having been injured in his career than they do Allen.Yes i get it, 1 guys injury was worse than the others, but i think he more than answered questions about the health of that knee this past CFB season.

Both are great prospects, but there is absolutely no way you can look at tape from 2012 of both of these guys and come away thinking that Allen is the better prospect of the 2 or even think that Hunter isn't 1 of if not the top WR prospect in the draft. Allen's projected max (700-850 yds 6 TDs) in the NFL is Hunter's floor.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
But see this is my problem with many people's analysis of Allen vs. Hunter. 1 guy was injured in 2011 had a great bounce back season in 2012. the other guy got injured in 2012, and still might have issues going into the draft. but when people are grading both these guys, they significantly knock hunter more, for having been injured in his career than they do Allen.Yes i get it, 1 guys injury was worse than the others, but i think he more than answered questions about the health of that knee this past CFB season.

Both are great prospects, but there is absolutely no way you can look at tape from 2012 of both of these guys and come away thinking that Allen is the better prospect of the 2 or even think that Hunter isn't 1 of if not the top WR prospect in the draft. Allen's projected max (700-850 yds 6 TDs) in the NFL is Hunter's floor.
Hunter has great upside; I don't ever knock him.

Allen had an ankle injury and missed the entire spring practice.
(The surgery needs to be taken into account.)
He also had a PCL grade 2 tear in the knee and missed a couple of games at the end of the season.
That one doesn't need surgery and has a 4-6 months rehab time-table.
So far, he seems to be on schedule.

Look at his production in his junior year; and let's not forget he accounted for 53 TDs in his Sr yr in high school.

Hunter had Tyler Bray (who benefited from a good O-line) throwing to;
Allen had Zach Maynard (who is rated the #33 QB in this draft class) throwing to.

Allen is solid in every aspect of the passing game.
With Hunter, it's potential, with Allen, he's already there.
Old 03-31-2013   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Who is projecting Allen's max to be 700-850 yds 6 TD's? You say that those numbers are Hunters floor. No, his floor is way lower than that! That's the thing with Patterson, Hunter, and Rodgers, their ceilings are high, but there is a big bust potential with each also. None are as NFL ready as Allen or Hopkins.

So, the question comes down to this; do the Texans want a #2 WR that will replace Walter and is ready to play now, or do they want a #1 WR with a higher ceiling that might be ready to play in a couple of years and replace AJ? My guess is they want the #2 who can play now. We'll see!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read