Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2013   #61
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans cap space, as of March 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
They need to get antonio off that 9.5m. He's not worth that no matter what people try to say. He's a 5m a yea max player. Either they need to extend him for 4 yrs and thin his number out or cut him. 4 yrs 20m with 6m guarantee is what they should offer him. They could get lloyd,seymore,and alan branch for 9.5m
If the Texans cut Smith, they get $6 million in cap relief. Not $9.5 million. And since Smith is already looking at a $6 million salary, why would he agree to a extension that guaranteed $6 million? They would have guarantee more than that to get Smith to extend.
Old 03-30-2013   #62
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not really. There would not have been a market for Schaub. Flacco had leverage. Rodgers would have had leverage. Jerry Jones is completely insane. Schaub is overpayed.
Sure there would have some market for schaub. Not a silly one, but I totally convinced that if the bills would give Fitzpatrick his last contract or Kolb warrented a nice contract or alex smith garners a high 2nd with future mid-rounder that there would somebody looking at Schuab with longing eyes.

Scary as it sounds, we have fogotten, what total QB desparation feels like. The texans have QB mediocrity problem, but enough teams would replace average for awfulness.
Old 03-30-2013   #63
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Sure there would have some market for schaub. Not a silly one, but I totally convinced that if the bills would give Fitzpatrick his last contract or Kolb warrented a nice contract or alex smith garners a high 2nd with future mid-rounder that there would somebody looking at Schuab with longing eyes.
It doesn't happen often, but I strongly disagree. The QBs you mentioned were coming off positive years. Schaub would have been on the market following the worst stretch of his career, with serious questions concerning his long term health.

A good litmus test will be what type of deal Carson Palmer gets after he is released by the Raiders. Similar in age and success to Schaub, without the foot injury. It won't be the $29 million guaranteed like Schaub received from the Texans, that is for certain.
Old 03-30-2013   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A good litmus test will be what type of deal Carson Palmer gets after he is released by the Raiders. Similar in age and success to Schaub, without the foot injury. It won't be the $29 million guaranteed like Schaub received from the Texans, that is for certain.
I agree Schaub coming off injury would have been a huge market factor but I'm sorry Carson Palmer is not a good litmus test now. Carson over the last six seasons hasn't come close to performing like Schaub. You have to go back to 2007 and before to get where it is an argument.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-30-2013 at 07:14 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #65
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It doesn't happen often, but I strongly disagree. The QBs you mentioned were coming off positive years. Schaub would have been on the market following the worst stretch of his career, with serious questions concerning his long term health.

Carson Palmer is a great example. He had not been anything but average, for a couple of years with the bengals, and Raiders sent multiple high picks and a big contract for a plus 30 QB with a history of injury.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PalmCa00.htm

No teams would not be dropping 50 million guaranteed, but acting like 30 million in the NFL phony guarantees would unrealistic is not paying attention to the market.

Hell, I am not even arguing that any of those teams should have given Schaub that type of money. I am arguing that at least one team would have done it.
Old 03-30-2013   #66
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really. There would not have been a market for Schaub. Flacco had leverage. Rodgers would have had leverage. Jerry Jones is completely insane. Schaub is overpayed.
Quote:

Scary as it sounds, we have fogotten, what total QB desparation feels like. The texans have QB mediocrity problem, but enough teams would replace average for awfulness.
I agree with AT here. Let's pretend the Texans had not given Schaub an extension and he was able to hit FA. We know Flacco would not have hit FA, so who else would have been available? Kevin Kolb, Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassell, and Matt Hasselbeck? A strong case could be made that outside of Flacco, Matt Schaub would have been the best FA QB on the market. Now he would not have gotten 6 years 108 million, 55 guaranteed(Romo money), but I think a desperate team with money would have thrown say 80 million, 40 guaranteed at him. Why? Because as much grief as he gets, Schaub is still a top 15 QB in the league. There are about 17 teams in the league that would upgrade their QB to Schaub if they could.

The Texans got him for 25 guaranteed. Not a bad deal all things considered.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #67
Lucky

Quote:
No teams would not be dropping 50 million guaranteed, but acting like 30 million in the NFL phony guarantees would unrealistic is not paying attention to the market.

Hell, I am not even arguing that any of those teams should have given Schaub that type of money. I am arguing that at least one team would have done it.
I think I pay as much attention to the market as any other amatuer GM. And there's nothing phony about Schaub's $29 million guarantee. It was all too real.

I would like to know who these teams (or team) are that would have forked over that kind of $$$ to Schaub. Please do not include the Raiders, who have a legitimate management team, now.
Old 03-31-2013   #68
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
I think I pay as much attention to the market as any other amatuer GM. And there's nothing phony about Schaub's $29 million guarantee. It was all too real.

I would like to know who these teams (or team) are that would have forked over that kind of $$$ to Schaub. Please do not include the Raiders, who have a legitimate management team, now.
I have already listed multiple teams willingness to hand out bad money to QBs who have done less than Schuab, why I do have specualte on the exact one that would do it with Schuab? I have recent history on my side, not wasting bandwith trying to read the mind of a specific organization over the bigger picture.

The more important question for the Texans is if schuab goes to market (ie giving leverage) what would Texans being doing at QB today?
Sending a 1st and something more for Alex Smith?
Waiting around to the draft and reaching for Ryan Nassib or EJ Manuel?
Sorting through Fitzpatrick, Kolb, and Flynn, hoping you figure which one sucks least?

The Texans thought (and still think) this is a team ready for a deep run and the best chance for that run over next handful of years was to keep the known product Schuab in place instead of guessing at whether some desparate team would money whip him and the Texans waking-up looking at that terrible QB market.

bottonline is that the Texans were not going to re-sign schuab for the prove-it-to-me contract that Kolb got. They had to offer him starting QB money either in season or out.
Old 03-31-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
They need to get antonio off that 9.5m. He's not worth that no matter what people try to say. He's a 5m a yea max player. Either they need to extend him for 4 yrs and thin his number out or cut him. 4 yrs 20m with 6m guarantee is what they should offer him. They could get lloyd,seymore,and alan branch for 9.5m
I'm sure if they need the money, they'll do it. But he's getting older. If they can get one more year out of him, they can be free & clear of him next year. This gives Crick & Jamison a year to earn that spot.

Of course, if they are comfy with Crick & Jamison already, they can trade Antonio now, for whatever they can get. They'll free up $6M & eat $3M... I like Antonio, but that's awful tempting.

He's had back-to-back career years, putting up very good numbers for an undersized 3-4 DE/4-3 DT... & I assume he's the kind of pro the F.O. wants to keep around.

If they do restructure, I'd like to see something with a low $3M-$5M cap number for the next 3 years & little dead money in years 4 & 5

Quote:
Who knows. He is a starting QB. He's getting half of what those other guys are getting. After the Flacco deal, after the Romo deal (who has not done any more than Schaub), and based on the speculation of what Rodgers is going to get, Schaub was a steal.

He's not the QB we want, but he's not as hopeless as we say he is either. He's got just as much a shot at winning the next Super Bowl as Flacco, Romo, or even Rogers.
Old 03-31-2013   #70
TexanCR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respected

I came to read about the Texans cap and all I see is another I hate Schaub/ Lets cut Schaub thread...oh well.
TexanCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #71
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
I came to read about the Texans cap and all I see is another I hate Schaub/ Lets cut Schaub thread...oh well.
Welcome to every thread on any texans board.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #72
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget that Antonio's cap space is high because the Texans wanted him to restructure (in 2011 I think), and not because his contract is "out of whack".
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kinda in the middle regarding Schaub's contract.
All I wished for was that the Texans put some form of "roster" bonus for "games start" and not guaranteeing that amount of money.
Old 04-02-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Because as much grief as he gets, Schaub is still a top 15 QB in the league. There are about 17 teams in the league that would upgrade their QB to Schaub if they could.
Top 15.

Schaub had a bad year.

Schaub threw for 4000 yards.

We were top 5 in scoring.

We led the league in T.O.P.

We won 12 games.

We signed him for almost half of what Tony Romo got. Tony freak'n Romo. Substantially less money than Flacco got.

4 months ago, December 1st, 2012 Matt Schaub was hands down the better QB, of the three. That's just 4 months ago. I may be in denial, but I do not believe his foot is of any concern. He struggled late last year, but I don't believe it was because of his foot. Nothing he's said, or anyone has said hints to a problem with his foot. Nothing he's done since hints at any kind of a problem with his foot.
Old 04-02-2013   #75
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I may be in denial, but I do not believe his foot is of any concern. He struggled late last year, but I don't believe it was because of his foot. Nothing he's said, or anyone has said hints to a problem with his foot. Nothing he's done since hints at any kind of a problem with his foot.
Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair
Matt has all the ability in the world. We haven’t said that he was quote “the best quarterback in the league,” he’s certainly one of the top ten. We’ve said that all along and we feel that way, and he can be one of the top five. I think he has the ability to do that. He hasn’t quite gotten there yet but that’s not to say that he won’t get there. I think that the injury he had did slow him down some. He was probably in the back of his mind a little concerned about reinjuring his foot and we certainly didn’t want to see that happen.
Someone thinks Schaub had a problem with his foot.
Old 04-02-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair

I think that the injury he had did slow him down some. He was probably in the back of his mind a little concerned about reinjuring his foot and we certainly didn’t want to see that happen.
Someone thinks Schaub had a problem with his foot.
Maybe I read it differently, or maybe I misunderstood your (generic) implications about his injury. Seems that many believe the injury limited him physically, that he wasn't able to plant, push, or generally move around because the foot was causing him some pain. Or that he was compensating for it in some way. That physically he is less mobile than he already was before the injury.

What McNair is saying there (or at least the way I interpret it) is maybe he didn't play "full speed" (Matt's full speed) because he was thinking about the foot. Kinda like many players are thinking about re-tearing their ACL when they come back from surgery, so they play slower, they're more cautious. But physically, they aren't impaired in any way from doing what they've done in the past.

& if that's the case, then there is actually reason to believe he'll play up to his full speed come next season.

I'll say it right now. If the Texans draft a QB on the first day, I'll stop denying what "we" already know. If they don't, I hope this anti-Schaub stuff will stop. Had we traded for a Colt McCoy, or an Alex Smith, or a Matt Flynn (is that his name?) then I would believe the Texans know more than what they've been letting on. But picking up a Stephen McGee from A&M makes me think "we" are overstating Matt's problems.
Old 04-02-2013   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

We didn't overstate his problem.
Schaub's problem has always been the fact that he's not very good!
Old 04-02-2013   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree. I'm not a Schaub fan, but the guy I saw last year, was the same guy I always saw.

Schaub had a lot of fans before December, but it seems with RG3, Russel Wilson, Andrew Luck, & Colin Kaepernick having amazing seasons, Schaub all of a sudden isn't any good anymore.... even to his fans, which is just blowing my mind.

His stats are the same, he looks the same... he chokes just like he always has. That's what we saw & the LisFranc had nothing to do with that. I could understand if people were saying, "I was wrong, he's a choker & won't ever win a Super Bowl."

But they're saying, "He's no good now after his LisFranc & will never be the same again." But the guy I saw in December & January was the same guy.

We said, before the play-offs, that if we're going to beat New England (we said the same thing in the regular season too) then the run game was going to have to show up. We needed Arian Foster (since Kubiak didn't want to use any other RB) to put on a show. We needed Duane Brown to be the "Baddest man on the planet" & neither happened. We said we needed the defense to show up. We needed to see the Jj Watt show, we needed Barwin to show up.... & that didn't happen either.

No one expected Schaub to beat the Patriots, but when he didn't.... it was like, "Schaub sucks, he couldn't beat the Patriots."

But we knew that. We knew that before 2012. We knew that in 2011, We knew that in 2010. The Matt Schaub we saw in 2009... that guy could probably stand a chance (even though it was Arian Foster & the defense that beat the Patriots at home).... probably, but that guy is long gone & is proving to be the exception to the rule.
Old 04-02-2013   #79
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Guys who "aren't very good" don't throw for 4700 yards. You've got to be pretty good just to throw for 4000 yards in a season.

He's not very athletic. He doesn't have a cannon arm. He's not a great passer on the run. But he's smart, he's reasonably accurate, and he'll stand in and take the shot (sometimes to his detriment.)

His lack of arm strength is a problem in the red zone and when guys are streaking down the field. But even with that, he's pretty good at picking up chunks of yardage between the 20's.

He's a good enough QB to manage a team to the Super Bowl but he's not a good enough QB to consistently put the team on his back to get them there. There aren't very many QBs who are that good and even the ones that are, that's not good enough to win a SB.

By the end of last season, he didn't look as mobile or as strong as he did at the beginning of the season. I don't know if that was injury, or being worn down by a long season, or something else. I personally had the feeling his foot was bothering him.

I like Schaub. I think he can win a SB with this team. But if we can upgrade the position, then let's do it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013   #80
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Link to multiple daily cap figure updates courtesy of NFLPA:

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 15h
Quote:
#Texans with $3.81M available RT @georgeatallah: Link to every NFL team’s salary cap figures, per NFLPA calculations http://www.nflplayers.com/cap
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read