Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-28-2013   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
This quote from Frasier Crane sums it up:
That does sum it up .... who cares. They aint botherin me , I aint gonna bother them .... have fun and thanks for leaving the phillies to me.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm talking about the situation where a guy comes out officially and publically and vocally announces he's gay: he's announcing to the whole world what he is and who he is and I'm simply saying there's not an NFL locker room in the league that's ready for that guy at this time nor will there probably be for sometime to come.
Well the president of the players' association disagrees with you:

Quote:
This week’s story that a gay NFL player is considering coming out was met with an interesting reaction from Domonique Foxworth, the former NFL cornerback who is now president of the NFL Players Association.

Foxworth said that not only does he think it’s inevitable that a gay player will come out, but he believes multiple gay players are going to come out. Foxworth said on WNST in Baltimore that there are already multiple gay players in the NFL, and that when one of them comes out, others will see that they have nothing to fear.

“It doesn’t have to be one player,” Foxworth said. “When one player comes out, multiple players will come out, because they are in our league right now.”
From PFT.com

Like I said, they are already known in the locker room and nobody is causing a stink. Your argument makes no logical sense. It doesn't matter if they say it publicly wrt whether the team accepts them. They already do. The team isn't going to suddenly become scared of showering with the same guy they have known is gay for four years just because he becomes openly gay.
Old 03-28-2013   #43
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

over under how many gay players do the Texans have ..????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #44
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Well, Connor Barwin left, so you can take one off of that.....

I kid. I kid.

Mallet: The Texas Hammer!
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I would guess 0-3 per team, but if they wanted to attract more:

Old 03-29-2013   #46
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm reminded of an Eddie Murphy dialogue where he reminds us that gay people can still kick your ass.

Those of us over 40(ish) remember that... "Raw" maybe?
Delirious. The one where he is wearing the orange jumpsuit. Man, I had that whole routine memorized as a kid!
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #47
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well the president of the players' association disagrees with you:

From PFT.com

Like I said, they are already known in the locker room and nobody is causing a stink. Your argument makes no logical sense. It doesn't matter if they say it publicly wrt whether the team accepts them. They already do. The team isn't going to suddenly become scared of showering with the same guy they have known is gay for four years just because he becomes openly gay.
And you are surprised by this kind of statement coming from the top official representative of the players' association, really ? What would surprise me would be if he said anything to the contrary. This guy has probably been told by Goodell to get in line with the gay-rights thing or their advocates in Congress might come after the league for its anti-trust exemption.
BTW, I don't really care that much if half of the NFL rank-and-file come out of the closet this afternoon and all waltz with each other on Ellen's show, my reservations about gays in any kind of organization is pretty much limited to certain units of the military because of the national security considerations. But I still don't expect to see anybody "come out of the closet" in the public sense of the term in the near term. Eventually at some point in time ? Yea sure, eventually.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #48
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you are surprised by this kind of statement coming from the top official representative of the players' association, really ? What would surprise me would be if he said anything to the contrary. This guy has probably been told by Goodell to get in line with the gay-rights thing or their advocates in Congress might come after the league for its anti-trust exemption.
BTW, I don't really care that much if half of the NFL rank-and-file come out of the closet this afternoon and all waltz with each other on Ellen's show, my reservations about gays in any kind of organization is pretty much limited to certain units of the military because of the national security considerations. But I still don't expect to see anybody "come out of the closet" in the public sense of the term in the near term. Eventually at some point in time ? Yea sure, eventually.
I've kind of stayed away from this topic, but I agree with Cak in this situation. I think initially there would be some awkwardness, but at the end of the day I think a locker room of brothers would find a way to make it work. Yeah, you're going to have a few knuckleheads but you're going to have that anyway. The true leaders of the team would make sure that the other guys are accepting of this situation. This person is going to be the Jackie Robinson of gay athletes so the spotlight is going to be bright on everyone. No one will risk looking like the idiot of the group by doing something stupid.

There's money to be made from whatever player that is gay becoming the first one to come out so I think it'll happen within the next year or 2. While football isn't the most accepting environment, I believe that at the end of the day the common goal amongst peers would prevail in this situation. Just my 2 pennies.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #49
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Manti T'eo isn't officially in the league yet. Everybody just needs to be patient.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #50
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I've kind of stayed away from this topic, but I agree with Cak in this situation. I think initially there would be some awkwardness, but at the end of the day I think a locker room of brothers would find a way to make it work. Yeah, you're going to have a few knuckleheads but you're going to have that anyway. The true leaders of the team would make sure that the other guys are accepting of this situation. This person is going to be the Jackie Robinson of gay athletes so the spotlight is going to be bright on everyone. No one will risk looking like the idiot of the group by doing something stupid.

There's money to be made from whatever player that is gay becoming the first one to come out so I think it'll happen within the next year or 2. While football isn't the most accepting environment, I believe that at the end of the day the common goal amongst peers would prevail in this situation. Just my 2 pennies.
I congratulated you on becoming a U.S. citizen, now I'll do the same for landing an employment opportunity with Cameron International. It's tough to go wrong these days and in this economy with an Oil Field Services Company.
OK, don't know your religion affiliation (if any), but you should know that many young men in "that locker room of brothers" you refer to are very likely to be Southern Baptists if they have a religous affiliation, and that denomination of Christianity does not take kindly to homosexuality and the idea of gay marriage. And that's putting it mildly. Furthermore, I suspect that many of those brothers might take exception to the very term "Jackie Robinson of gay athletes".
Old 03-29-2013   #51
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I congratulated you on becoming a U.S. citizen, now I'll do the same for landing an employment opportunity with Cameron International. It's tough to go wrong these days and in this economy with an Oil Field Services Company.
OK, don't know your religion affiliation (if any), but you should know that many young men in "that locker room of brothers" you refer to are very likely to be Southern Baptists if they have a religous affiliation, and that denomination of Christianity does not take kindly to homosexuality and the idea of gay marriage. And that's putting it mildly. Furthermore, I suspect that many of those brothers might take exception to the very term "Jackie Robinson of gay athletes".
First of all you have the wrong poster. I've been a U.S. citizen all my life. But I'm Baptist since you brought up religion. I'm straight, but don't care how another man lives his life. Secondly, I've spoken with a couple of NFL players who relayed exactly what I said. Would it be awkward in the beginning? Of course, but these guys aren't angels in the locker room. There's a lot of stuff that goes on that players who are devoutly religious may not approve of, but if a player helps someone win then that stuff is ignored. And as an African American I can say that I haven't talked to another black person that's had a problem with that term "Jackie Robinson of gay athletes". Whoever comes out while they're playing is breaking a barrier. None of "us" are taking that term literally.
Old 03-29-2013   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Based upon the infamous stories about Charles Haley and his penis in the locker rooms, there have been some pretty gay stuff going on well before any gay football player comes out of the closet. I'm not saying Haley is gay, but what he was doing was pretty dang gay by just about anyone's standards.
Old 03-29-2013   #53
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
First of all you have the wrong poster. I've been a U.S. citizen all my life. But I'm Baptist since you brought up religion. I'm straight, but don't care how another man lives his life. Secondly, I've spoken with a couple of NFL players who relayed exactly what I said. Would it be awkward in the beginning? Of course, but these guys aren't angels in the locker room. There's a lot of stuff that goes on that players who are devoutly religious may not approve of, but if a player helps someone win then that stuff is ignored. And as an African American I can say that I haven't talked to another black person that's had a problem with that term "Jackie Robinson of gay athletes". Whoever comes out while they're playing is breaking a barrier. None of "us" are taking that term literally.
I certainly did get the wrong poster, and I apologize for being so really clumsy. And as someone who is neither black nor Christian, your insight on this issue as a black Christian who also has friends now actively playing in the NFL obviously goes far beyond any that I might have. Thanks for your comments, I enjoyed reading them, and again sorry for being so sloppy.
Old 03-29-2013   #54
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I certainly did get the wrong poster, and I apologize for being so really clumsy. And as someone who is neither black nor Christian, your insight on this issue as a black Christian who also has friends now actively playing in the NFL obviously goes far beyond any that I might have. Thanks for your comments, I enjoyed reading them, and again sorry for being so sloppy.
No worries, and no need to apologize. I can see why a lot of people have that view. Most of these guys are all about feeding their families, or in most cases filling their garages with expensive cars. If there is a gay player who can help them do that then that's all that matters. The fans will probably give whoever comes out a harder time than his teammates.
Old 04-05-2013   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I think it will happen sooner than you think,” Ayanbadejo told Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “We’re in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they’re trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out.
Link

This isn't seeming like a "long time" thing and if they are talking to multiple players in a coordinated way then YES the locker rooms already know they have gay members as if that wasn't obvious. The lack of outing by team members is a strong indication they will be accepted rather than egregiously ostracized.
Old 04-05-2013   #56
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

This isn't seeming like a "long time" thing and if they are talking to multiple players in a coordinated way then YES the locker rooms already know they have gay members as if that wasn't obvious. The lack of outing by team members is a strong indication they will be accepted rather than egregiously ostracized.
Ayanbadejo was cut yesterday. You think the "outing" would be postponed due to the possibility the Ravens releasing him had something to do with his involvement in gay rights? I think it will
Old 04-05-2013   #57
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ayanbadejo was cut yesterday. You think the "outing" would be postponed due to the possibility the Ravens releasing him had something to do with his involvement in gay rights? I think it will
I think I smell something in the air that has virtually the same aroma as crap but it's an action that our "friends" in the occupation of lawyering take when they want to generate some revenue. Yep litigation, thought I recognized that smell.
Wow, talk about something that potentially could tear a locker room apart !
Free agent linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo is walking back some of the controversial statements he made following his release from the Baltimore Ravens earlier this week.
Ayanbadejo told Newsday that his release was, in part, prompted by his vocal support for marriage equality.
"My bark is louder than my bite," Ayanbadejo said after being honored at Thursday's Straight for Equality Gala in New York City. "I make a lot of noise and garner a lot of attention for various things off the football field. When that starts happening, why do you have that player around?
"I don't necessarily think that teams want this type of attention."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...8772--nfl.html
Duh !

Last edited by IDEXAN; 04-05-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2013   #58
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow ESPN: 4 NFL Players May Come out of the Closet

Brendon Ayanbadejo, a highly visible defender of gay rights and same-sex marriage, told the Baltimore Sun that four current NFL players are considering coming out as gay.

"I think it will happen sooner than you think. We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together."

-Brendon Ayanbadejo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...ing-coming-gay

Who do you guys think the 4 players trying to come out are?

Last edited by Jules Winnfield; 04-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #59
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN: 4 NFL Players May Come out of the Closet

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99351
Old 04-05-2013   #60
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN: 4 NFL Players May Come out of the Closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
what does that have to do with my thread mr. thread police?
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read