Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2013   #141
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans (signed march 27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
It'll be nice to see Arian get over 4.5 ypc with ease again. It was tough to watch him struggle to get a handful of yards every game. Hope he feels refreshed for a new year.
Arian's past struggles can't solely be blamed on the FB position & Casey. The right side of the o-line needs to progress because it seemed the Texans early on favored running to the left side due to the right sides struggles. Doesn't take much to defend the run if you can only run to one side effectively. If the right continues to struggle then a bruising FB may help a little, but can't completely offset poor o-line play. Just for the record, I believe they will get better on the right side as they are all young & have gained valuable experience this past season.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #142
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Arian's past struggles can't solely be blamed on the FB position & Casey. The right side of the o-line needs to progress because it seemed the Texans early on favored running to the left side due to the right sides struggles. Doesn't take much to defend the run if you can only run to one side effectively. If the right continues to struggle then a bruising FB may help a little, but can't completely offset poor o-line play. Just for the record, I believe they will get better on the right side as they are all young & have gained valuable experience this past season.
I meant as a whole with development from Jones/Newton(hopefully he's healthy)/Harris(if they bring him back) + fa/draft.Can't underestimate the line becoming more cohesive having played next to each other for a while now.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #143
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
That's all you can do as a fan, watch and enjoy. The moves from the ex-GM Gene Smith caused the Jags to be in this situation. We have to clean house, which is why Jones come to ya. Texans took the right approach and built for the long run. Now it's paying off. Enjoy being a strong competive team.
Sometimes it requires a major break down.
It's all up and up now for the Jags; just take your time... the longer the better for the Texans, LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #144
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I woundn't be surprised if MJD is the next to go from the Jags?
A shame, that dude is a straight up class act & competitor.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #145
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FB Jones wants title shot.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...#ixzz2OqJ6wot2

Quote:
For Greg Jones, things were equal in the contract proposals made by the Jaguars and Houston Texans since the start of free agency two weeks ago, but with one big difference.

The Jaguars are building to win. The Texans are built to win.

A chance to compete for a Super Bowl title this year was the main reason Jones, a Jaguars fullback for nine seasons, signed a one-year contract with Houston on Wednesday.

“Just the direction that Houston is going in right now and where I’m at in my career because I’ve only got so much time left,” Jones said in a phone interview. “The money was pretty much the same.”
Pretty good read. Glad Free agents see they have a shot if they come here, and who said houston wasnt attractive to Free Agents
Old 03-30-2013   #146
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Knew his strength was always considered unreal........this lends some re-inforcement to his brutal point of attack.

LAWRENCE VICKERS.............6-0 / 250

VONTA LEACH.......................6-0 / 260

GREG JONES.........................6-1 / 266
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #147
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Knew his strength was always considered unreal........this lends some re-inforcement to his brutal point of attack.

LAWRENCE VICKERS.............6-0 / 250

VONTA LEACH.......................6-0 / 260

GREG JONES.........................6-1 / 266
...And chiseled out of stone. Just ask MJD what he thinks about this. I think the FO has hit one outta the park on this move. Can't wait to see him do what James Casey just wasn't capable of doing. No knock on J.C. but he was admittedly a hybrid. Not a true snot locker clean the hole kind of a guy. I like this signing big time.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #148
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
...And chiseled out of stone. Just ask MJD what he thinks about this. I think the FO has hit one outta the park on this move. Can't wait to see him do what James Casey just wasn't capable of doing. No knock on J.C. but he was admittedly a hybrid. Not a true snot locker clean the hole kind of a guy. I like this signing big time.
I agree i think this was a true value signing, and i wouldnt be surprised to see them give him a 3-4 year deal after next season. This guy can open some holes.
Old 12-19-2013   #149
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but figured it'd be better than starting a new one.

Imo, after seeing many All-22 cut ups from several people throughout the season I've come to the conclusion this was a bad FA signing. Probably not very expensive, but Jones has been the worst FB we've had in a long time. Heck, Casey even performed better while playing out of position.

Admittedly, I was high on this signing. But, like everything else this season, it was fail
Old 12-19-2013   #150
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I havent seen the all 22 videos, but what did he do that was bad?

Do you think he can turn things around next season, or are you writing him off and cutting him?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #151
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I havent seen the all 22 videos, but what did he do that was bad?

Do you think he can turn things around next season, or are you writing him off and cutting him?
He signed a one-year deal if I'm not mistaken. He's an UFA next year.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #152
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He signed a one-year deal if I'm not mistaken. He's an UFA next year.
My mistake. I forgot that. So then the question turns into, who do we target, or do we try to get Greg for another year? I would ask Foster who he wants.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #153
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it really depends on the next coach and scheme. FB's aren't as prominent in a lot of offenses as it was Kubiaks.

Being that I'd like to see more of a power scheme, I'm all for a good thumper for a FB. I thought Jones was a thumper, but obviously those days are behind him.

I assume the Watt brother is staying in College? He's decent and can catch out of the backfield
Old 12-19-2013   #154
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PFF rates Greg Jones 12th/27 FBs (>25% snaps) so far in 2013.

Anthony Sherman KC is 1st & Vonta Leach is rated 27th/27.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #155
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll have a totally new offense next season. We might not even have a FB on the squad.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013   #156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Next to his normal badasery, I think we missed Arians pass blocking/blitz pick ups more than anything.

Ben Tate & Greg Jones looked, to me, like they wanted no part in chipping a defensive lineman or anyone blitzing.
Old 12-19-2013   #157
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Seems about right from jones. He certainly hasn't done anything to impress me.

Shocked about Sherman. Didn't even know who he was.

Jaw dropped about leach. When you look at ray rice's drop off this season it makes sense.
Old 12-19-2013   #158
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Heh, good get by KC. Sherman was acquired by KC this offseason in exchange for CB Javier Arenas. Sherman was a 5th round pick, Arenas was a 2nd.
Old 12-19-2013   #159
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

knowing us since next year is rebuilding year that prob means Greg Jones see ya later .........
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013   #160
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow. Guess the knoggin' got sore.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read