Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-27-2013   #21
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tyrann Mathieu schd to meet with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That high?

I like him, too, but I give him third round grade.
All in all, I don't like this draft class at the top.

I see a lot of third-seventh round guys.

Maybe I need to go back and re-grade them.

I'm not sure I've seen a guy that I like the same as Tavon Austin who was drafted in the second by the Pats last year.
That's the whole problem with this draft class. There is no star potential like RGIII, Luck, "Megatron," AJ, or anyone else you can think of. That's why you "see a lot of third-seventh round guys." So, a lot of those that some have with a 3rd round grade rise up to the 2nd, or even 1st, because no one is sure where to put them due to most of the players being close talent wise. And, that's why some are saying there's not much difference (in talent) from #1 to #32 in this class, so it's better to be where the Texans are at #27 than to have a top 10 pick in this years draft. It's a tough class to gauge.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #22
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed Reached Out to Mathieu

Quote:
His focus over the next few weeks is to convince teams that he’s trustworthy and worth the investment of a draft pick. Through the pre-draft process, Ravens veteran safety Ed Reed has reached out to his representatives to provide some guidance to the 20-year-old defender.

“He never talked to me personally but he's reached out to my adoptive parents,” Mathieu said Sunday at the NFL Combine. “He's reached out to my agent and [former LSU defensive back and current Arizona Cardinals cornerback] Patrick Peterson."

Reed works with and advises a number of young players around the NFL. Just last year he reached out to South Carolina State safety Christian Thompson, who the Ravens ended up drafting in the fourth round.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
“He never talked to me personally but..."
Honey Badger didn't return his call?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #24
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

That part surprised me as well...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #25
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He needs to get with Reed and stay off the weed!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What draft slot are you guys willing to risk on him?

He does have some skills.
3rd rd, Supp pick.

Great S/slot CB type guy. Most instinctive playmaker in the draft.

Best KR/PR in this draft.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #27
Paul
noob

I would use our 2nd round pick and one of our 3rd rounders to get Mathieu and Hayden. They both have elite potential.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dang, I read on the Pats MB that Hayden is considered 2nd-3rd round talent by some scouts.
Quote:
I got a chance to sit down and have a nice early dinner with a scout for an AFC team following the University of Houston’s Pro Day on Monday. We talked about DJ Hayden, some Texas A&M and Louisiana Tech prospects, pass rushers, and more over some excellent Tex-Mex at The Original Ninfa’s, the birthplace of the fajita.

In close paraphrase and some direct quotes, here are some of the thoughts he shared:

–DJ Hayden was worth the trip to Houston. According to this scout, Hayden “was the second best corner I saw all year” before his freakish injury. The ruptured vein in his chest “is obviously a big concern” but he added that team doctors would worry about that and he was ordered by his GM to evaluate Hayden strictly for his on the field prowess. On that front Hayden “is probably the best ballhawk in this draft. He gets to outside throws better than anyone”. His 40 time at his workout affirmed the speed, as this scout had him at 4.36 and “that’s about what he plays at”. Without the injury Hayden would have been a Senior Bowler and almost certainly would have been a top 50 pick. Now? “I’ll be surprised if he isn’t drafted Friday”, which means before the end of the third round according to the scout. I’ve felt around about Hayden with others and heard much the same, with the constant caveat that the medical evaluation is paramount. This scout was unsure of how his team doctors evaluated him but confirmed they have done so.
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/201...-with-a-scout/
Old 03-28-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Talented; needs to work on technique.
Tough, physical.
Good size and speed to play man.
I liked him the first time I saw him play.

I wouldn't put him in the first, more like a third with upside (without the medical condition).
Quote:
Sounds like about the same projection as mine.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Quote:
As former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu continues to visit with teams in preparation for the NFL Draft, more details of his once-hazy college misdeeds continue to surface.

An NFL assistant coach told USA Today about a conversation a team had with Mathieu during his pre-draft visit.

“During one visit, Mathieu was asked how many drug tests he failed before he was suspended in college,” wrote USA Today. “According to an assistant coach for the team, Mathieu responded: ‘I quit counting at 10. I really don't know.'”

Later in the day, Mathieu responded through LSU's sports information department.

According to the release, "Mathieu said the story does not accurately reflect the discussions that he has had while on official visits to various NFL organizations."
Quote:
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Tyrann Mathieu's final draft slot will tell you what the NFL thinks about smoking weed. It might surprise you.
Old 04-12-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember Hollywood Henderson (long after he became clean) recounting the times he got stoned on the playing field throughout games; and we aren't talking about weeds here. LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #32
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI, for those considering Tyrann Mathieu from LSU, I was just watching NBCSports show Pro Football Talk hosted by Erik Kuselias. He stated that in an interview last week with Tyrann Mathieu he admitted that he failed at least 10 drug tests and actually didn't know how many drug tests that he's failed.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #33
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

After his tweet I wouldn't take him as an UDFA! Guy is a moron.

America… Only thing its good for is making money other than that this a wicked & cruel place to reside… #pray4boston

Read more: http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/0...#ixzz2QftTxZ5t

Last edited by mussop; 04-16-2013 at 08:10 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
FYI, for those considering Tyrann Mathieu from LSU, I was just watching NBCSports show Pro Football Talk hosted by Erik Kuselias. He stated that in an interview last week with Tyrann Mathieu he admitted that he failed at least 10 drug tests and actually didn't know how many drug tests that he's failed.
Yep.

That was posted here like... 4 days ago or something.

But the guy swears he's seen the error of his ways and turned it around. ANd Deion Sanders believes him so...

Oh, wait. This is the same Deion Sanders who thought Shiloh Keo was going to be a real steal...

So... pass.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read