Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans cap space, as of March 26

PFT

Bengals: $28.9 million.

Browns: $28.7 million.

Buccaneers: $28.8 million.

Jaguars: $26.6 million.

Eagles: $26.3 million.

Packers: $18.3 million.

Bills: $16.8 million.

Dolphins: $15.7 million.

Cardinals: $14.0 million.

Patriots: $13.4 million.

Jets: $13.0 million.

Colts: $11.7 million.

Titans: $10.7 million.

Broncos: $8.8 million.

Lions: $7.2 million.

Ravens: $7.2 million.

Chargers: $7.0 million.

Seahawks: $6.8 million.

Falcons: $6.2 million.

Bears: $5.3 million.

Vikings: $5.1 million.

Texans: $4.9 million.

Giants: $4.5 million.

49ers: $4.5 million.

Saints: $3.3 million.

Redskins: $3.2 million.

Chiefs: $3.1 million.

Raiders: $2.8 million.

Steelers: $2.5 million.

Rams: $1.0 million.

Panthers: $936,000.

Cowboys: $51,000.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans cap space, as of March 26

that did not include the FB Jones correct?
Old 03-28-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
that did not include the FB Jones correct?
Probably not since Jones signed on the 27th and this number was "as of March 26th"

Basically they have their rookie pool money available.

The good news is that they havent reworked or extended any deals and still have the ability to do so if the need should arise tho I dont think they want to if they can help it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Probably not since Jones signed on the 27th and this number was "as of March 26th"

The good news is that they havent reworked or extended any deals and still have the ability to do so if the need should arise tho I dont think they want to if they can help it.
That confirms my thoughts. I am mildly surprised they did not rework Antonio's last year of his deal. I could see them adding 2 years but maybe they would rather go with Crick or Mitchell or even a draft pick in 2014. Of course, if not going after a high $ FA why do that?

If April goes the way I hope, I see a QB, DE (Smith), OG (Smith), ILB?) and CB
in '14.
Old 03-28-2013   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That confirms my thoughts. I am mildly surprised they did not rework Antonio's last year of his deal. I could see them adding 2 years but maybe they would rather go with Crick or Mitchell or even a draft pick in 2014. Of course, if not going after a high $ FA why do that?

If April goes the way I hope, I see a QB, DE (Smith), OG (Smith), ILB?) and CB
in '14.
I would guess it has more to do with Antonio and his agent wanting to wait for free agency next year to see what he's actually worth. He will be semi-old, but he's been productive and could get a deal like Kyle Vanden Bosch did a couple years ago. Dude was 31 and got 4 years 26m from the Lions.
Old 03-28-2013   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I would guess it has more to do with Antonio and his agent wanting to wait for free agency next year to see what he's actually worth. He will be semi-old, but he's been productive and could get a deal like Kyle Vanden Bosch did a couple years ago. Dude was 31 and got 4 years 26m from the Lions.
I think it has just as much to do with the team not wanting to push money into the cap of future years. That could hinder both future improvement and their ability to resign their own FA's in Watt , KJax and Cushing ....

You look at their cap situation , they have next to no dead money and the cap should increase significantly in the next two years with the new TV deals kicking in. They'll be in prime position cap wise ....

Old 03-28-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it has just as much to do with the team not wanting to push money into the cap of future years. That could hinder both future improvement and their ability to resign their own FA's in Watt , KJax and Cushing ....

You look at their cap situation , they have next to no dead money and the cap should increase significantly in the next two years with the new TV deals kicking in. They'll be in prime position cap wise ....
I've heard that the cap should remain fairly flat at least through 2015.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013   #8
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Although if he and his agent pay attention to today's NFL they'd see that guys on the other side of 30 aren't getting long term high $$ deals. That's reserved for the guys coming off their rookie contracts. The most Antonio would probably get would be 3 years $9 million tops. Well, that's my thought based on how this offseason is going at least.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That may not be the case actually. Robert Kraft thinks the cap will increase gradually instead of a giant increase like many people thought would happen.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/3/2...e-dramatically

Quote:
New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, who spoke last Thursday at an event at Gillette Stadium, appears to not believe the salary cap will dramatically increase in 2014.

"I don't really see that happening," Kraft stated. "I don't think what happened in 2006 will happen in the future here, because if you understand the labor agreement and the long-term part of this, there will be a smooth growth. Anyone who assumes huge jumps, I hope they're in our division."

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That may not be the case actually. Robert Kraft thinks the cap will increase gradually instead of a giant increase like many people thought would happen.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/3/2...e-dramatically
Either way , this protects them for the future , allowing them to take care of those players that they must ..... If they push more of AJ's money , or Ninja's money into next years cap .... they could be in a position where they are forced to watch a Cushing or Watt walk.

Old 03-28-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Either way , this protects them for the future , allowing them to take care of those players that they must ..... If they push more of AJ's money , or Ninja's money into next years cap .... they could be in a position where they are forced to watch a Cushing or Watt walk.
I repeat; all they need to do is to cut Schaub.
Old 03-28-2013   #12
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before Watt or Cushing walks I think Texans would cut or trade AJ.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's not going to happen, but let's pretend it did. What would his cap hit be? He has a large contract the next few seasons so wouldn't that just kill the Texans cap room taking on that much dead money?

Thanks to Premier
Old 03-28-2013   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
To be completely honest , I think they may cut him after this season if he doesnt do three things - Stay healthy , win the division and take them on a deep run , at least the AFC Championship game.

If he fails to do all of the above , he's not the guy to take this team to a and its time to find that guy.

If he fails to do all of the above , I think the only thing that can save his roster spot is a weak class of QB's in the draft and FA ... or they cant find a guy they like in a trade similar to the one that brought us Schaub.

This team is built to win now .... and in the future. They can afford to move on from Schaub and still have playmakers at every level on both sides of the ball.

With Schaub I give them no more than a two year window of opportunity but I think they have a 3-5 year window if they are forced to move on (and can upgrade).

Old 03-28-2013   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's not going to happen, but let's pretend it did. What would his cap hit be? He has a large contract the next few seasons so wouldn't that just kill the Texans cap room taking on that much dead money?
What did he get ... ~24m guaranteed in the extension ?! How much was up front ?! I cant recall the specifics. I think he has something like a 14m cap figure for next year (maybe more)? That leaves 10m over the life of the deal which would be dead money.

Old 03-28-2013   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What did he get ... ~24m guaranteed in the extension ?! How much was up front ?! I cant recall the specifics. I think he has something like a 14m cap figure for next year (maybe more)? That leaves 10m over the life of the deal which would be dead money.
This site says his cap hit next season would be $14.5 million, $17 million in 2015, and $19 million in 2016. Is that right? We could be stuck with him for 3 more years...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

Thanks to Premier
Old 03-28-2013   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Basically it would mean $10.5M of dead money that will hit us in 2014 (and we'll be done with it.

Using the money alloted to pay his salary and roster bonus, the Texans would be left with 500 grands to pay a QB without incurring additional cost.

Or they can save that money to give Keenum a bonus, hint, hint.
Old 03-28-2013   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This site says his cap hit next season would be $14.5 million, $17 million in 2015, and $19 million in 2016. Is that right? We could be stuck with him for 3 more years...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

Ok , let me see if I can make this simple -

This years cap figure of 14.5m + any other guaranteed money including signing bonus which would be pro rated should he remain on the roster but hits immediately should he be cut , some of which could have been absorbed last season ....

Guaranteed money ~24m - this years salary of ~14.5m = 9.5m + unpaid signing bonus.

Somewhere around 10m to walk away from Schaub after this season.

They aint taking a cap hit of 17m for Schaub in 2015 ... He restructures if they cant find a replacement.

Old 03-28-2013   #19
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So does that mean we do not have anything other than $4.9mil set aside for draft picks/rookies?
Old 03-28-2013   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok , let me see if I can make this simple -

This years cap figure of 14.5m + any other guaranteed money including signing bonus which would be pro rated should he remain on the roster but hits immediately should he be cut , some of which could have been absorbed last season ....

Guaranteed money ~24m - this years salary of ~14.5m = 9.5m + unpaid signing bonus.

Somewhere around 10m to walk away from Schaub after this season.

They aint taking a cap hit of 17m for Schaub in 2015 ... He restructures if they cant find a replacement.
What if Schaub becomes Flacco 2.0 and win the SB?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read