Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013   #161
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Was. Tons of service folks on here. You have some fellow Marines in badboy (Vietnam), Dread-Head, jjezebel, Hou-Tex's son (plus others I am forgetting and I apologize).
Seem to find a lot of service guys on Football message boards- even found a guy I served with once on Veterans Day thread- he lived the next state over and we hadn't seen each other for 15 yrs.

I was combat engineer and telecomm
Old 03-27-2013   #162
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Have we found any uninformed posters who think Ed Reed is going to "put Houston over the top?"

I think we all think he's a good acquisition, he brings something we don't currently have, & he's going to help our team get to the next level, but I don't believe anyone here thinks he is that missing piece we've been needing.

Dumerville would have put us over the top, but since he's playing for the Ravens now, he sucks.
What's the next level? Getting past the divisional round of the playoffs to an AFC Championship game? Right now, wouldn't that be (over the top) ?
Old 03-27-2013   #163
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Soooooo.......

Let me get this thread straight.

RavenFan comes on here with his boring ass drivel, posts someone else's opinion because he doesn't have his own, and admits that Schaub is light years ahead of Dilfer, and the point of this whole thread was to say you have to have a better QB to win the Super Bowl?

And then says WE don't know anything about football?
Old 03-27-2013   #164
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
I hope you do realize that Clar Judge wrote that article- I didn't type a word just for clarity sake.
...true...but you DID post it here. I'm just sayin'. But other than that...how ya been?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 03-27-2013   #165
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Soooooo.......

Let me get this thread straight.

RavenFan comes on here with his boring ass drivel,
Sorry 9 pages bored you

Quote:
posts someone else's opinion because he doesn't have his own,
Clark Judge wrote the blog- I agree with a lot of it, just not all of it.

Quote:
and admits that Schaub is light years ahead of Dilfer,
So was Chad Pennington, Jay Cutler, Donovan McNabb

Quote:
and the point of this whole thread was to say you have to have a better QB to win the Super Bowl?
Does the shoe fit?

Quote:
And then says WE don't know anything about football?
The misperception that Ed Reed will provide some sort of Miracle play making ability in the defensive backfield, while Schaub remains the same, will push the Texans over the top is what you are staring at.
Old 03-27-2013   #166
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
...true...but you DID post it here. I'm just sayin'. But other than that...how ya been?
Sure I did- I saw it and thought that Texans fans would want to read it.

Apparently I was wrong.

I'm good dude- its all good. You?
Old 03-27-2013   #167
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't see that- We have been in the playoffs every year for the last 5 years- even after losing guys every year. The Ravens have been awarded the most compensatory picks since they started giving them out in 94. Why? Because other teams want to sign our guys. Why? Because we are successful.
Love or hate this man, you have to admire his passion for his team. I think the Carrion are as LUCKY as he thinks they are good. He can be a bit of a hemmorhoid(sp) but he's never disrespectful. If we banned people for being a pain in the ass the following people would have been gone a LONG time ago:

Red Zone

Corrosion

Beer & Metal

Porky

Texan Bill

Joe Texan

and

MY BLAGG-AZZ.

We don't agree with the man's opinions, but truthfully we don't always agree with one another's opinions. Take what he says with a grain of salt and move on.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 03-27-2013   #168
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sure I did- I saw it and thought that Texans fans would want to read it.

Apparently I was wrong.

I'm good dude- its all good. You?
Just got an Ibanez bass. The neck is slightly more narrow than my Aria so it's taking a bit of getting used to, but the sound quality and action are utterly kick ass.
Just getting ready for Easter. What's the weather like in Baltimore? You guys getting some of that snow that's plaguing everyone else?
Old 03-27-2013   #169
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's the next level? Getting past the divisional round of the playoffs to an AFC Championship game? Right now, wouldn't that be (over the top) ?
I would think it varies on who you ask but I honstly believe it isn't about where it takes us (like a playoff round) but how the team carries itself. Some players admitted to basically being in awe (for lack of a better term) when they faced the Patriots. That alone spoke about the mental aspect that the Texans were lacking. Heck, I think they use to have that about the Ravens too until they proved to themselves they could play with them.

Reed can bring that factor of leadership. I honestly don't think his physical skills are what they use to be and the defense will have to adjust a bit with the coverage to adapt to what he brings. But more than anything he brings a locker room presence that was lacking especially with Cush hurt. But even with Cush's leadership there is a whole other level of leadership when you're talking about someone who has been there, done that like Reed.

So it is more than just what round they reach. They stunk the place against the Patriots not once, but twice. The defense despite having film after playing them couldn't even line up correctly and seemed unprepared. Leaders on the field help in this area.

Can he put them over the top? Course not. Just one player. P. Manning is argued to be among the best to play his position and did he put the Broncos over the top? Nope. But can Reed put them over the top on a mental aspect so they don't go out stinking it up against elite teams and not rolling into fetal positions when things go off-schedule? Possibly so.
Old 03-27-2013   #170
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't see that- We have been in the playoffs every year for the last 5 years- even after losing guys every year. The Ravens have been awarded the most compensatory picks since they started giving them out in 94. Why? Because other teams want to sign our guys. Why? Because we are successful.

I am a robot. I am only programmed to say the same drivel everyday.

We. What position do you play?

Yeah patriot fan says the same thing fallowing the sheep of the FO. and where has that got them in 8 years and i would say they are more succesful in those 15 years than the ravens. Keep on thinking everything is tootie fruitie in Bmore. Then you wake up one day and your team looks like the Titans.

BTW Riddle me this. Why go crying to another forum not raven and pizz and moan about the Texans?

I go raise hell at the titan forums but I don't come here or other forums and ask for a pat on the back or help.

Got something to say to us Texan fan say it to our face don't act like a girl and run. You lost a lot of respect fir that ****** move.
Old 03-27-2013   #171
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Just got an Ibanez bass. The neck is slightly more narrow than my Aria so it's taking a bit of getting used to, but the sound quality and action are utterly kick ass.
Just getting ready for Easter. What's the weather like in Baltimore? You guys getting some of that snow that's plaguing everyone else?
I love music but never learned to play- buddy of mine is a bass guy.

We had a couple inches of snow the other day- 50 degrees today nd its all gone.

Crappiest winter two years in a row- I plow snow in my offseason and haven't made diddly two years in a row....normally I can pull in about $15-20k doing snow removal- made $2k this year....really crappy.
Old 03-27-2013   #172
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The misperception that Ed Reed will provide some sort of Miracle play making ability in the defensive backfield, while Schaub remains the same, will push the Texans over the top is what you are staring at.

Here's my problem; nobody on this board thinks Ed Reed is going to provide any kind of miracle. The majority of us have what I consider to be realistic expectations for what he will bring to the table, which is a guy who can make a solid contribution from a physical standpoint, apply his experience on the field, and show the other defensive backs how he prepares for the game.
I think your assertion that we all expect him to be some kind of miracle is a straw man argument that you perpetuate, but doesn't exist.
In short, I think you insist on arguing a point that nobody really opposes.
Ed Reed is not going to be a miracle for the Texans. Ed reed will not be the thing that puts the Texans "over the top". Ed Reed should be able to make a positive contribution to the success of the Texans in 2013.
Old 03-27-2013   #173
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Have we found any uninformed posters who think Ed Reed is going to "put Houston over the top?"

I think we all think he's a good acquisition, he brings something we don't currently have, & he's going to help our team get to the next level, but I don't believe anyone here thinks he is that missing piece we've been needing.

Dumerville would have put us over the top, but since he's playing for the Ravens now, he sucks.
I just don't get it. But obviously he doesn't.
At the time of Reeds signing our FS was Shiloh Keo. Texans sign Reed to replace Keo. Reed is better than Keo. What's the problem?
Nobody,and he still has not shown proof ,has said Reed is the savior of the franchise.
He was a great plug in a hole in the Texans defense. That's it.
But I guess he would rather the Texans start Keo instead.
Old 03-27-2013   #174
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I would think it varies on who you ask but I honstly believe it isn't about where it takes us (like a playoff round) but how the team carries itself. Some players admitted to basically being in awe (for lack of a better term) when they faced the Patriots. That alone spoke about the mental aspect that the Texans were lacking. Heck, I think they use to have that about the Ravens too until they proved to themselves they could play with them.

Reed can bring that factor of leadership. I honestly don't think his physical skills are what they use to be and the defense will have to adjust a bit with the coverage to adapt to what he brings. But more than anything he brings a locker room presence that was lacking especially with Cush hurt. But even with Cush's leadership there is a whole other level of leadership when you're talking about someone who has been there, done that like Reed.

So it is more than just what round they reach. They stunk the place against the Patriots not once, but twice. The defense despite having film after playing them couldn't even line up correctly and seemed unprepared. Leaders on the field help in this area.

Can he put them over the top? Course not. Just one player. P. Manning is argued to be among the best to play his position and did he put the Broncos over the top? Nope. But can Reed put them over the top on a mental aspect so they don't go out stinking it up against elite teams and not rolling into fetal positions when things go off-schedule? Possibly so.
Ed may bring that. His leadership is quiet. B in fairness, Ed's been used to being a big man on campus in the ravens locker room; he hasn't known a new place since 02. I wonder if he will adapt to the Texans or force the Texans to adapt to him- I say this because he is a strange bird, changes his mind easily and voices his frustration easily and publicly.
Old 03-27-2013   #175
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 311961 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cool- then we can enjoy some good conversations about football.
I ask again: with such a horrible membership that is apparently this forum in your perspective, why do you continue to bless us with your presence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer
RE: TEXANS TALK - What a bunch of low information, stupid, blatantly dis-honest, sniveling little whining *******s. One would gather that the Internet doesn't get out of the Houston area. The ignorance of the rest of the NFL is rampant, even their knowledge of division and conference foes is limited.
WHY ARE YOU HERE?
Old 03-27-2013   #176
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
I am a robot. I am only programmed to say the same drivel everyday.

We. What position do you play?

Yeah patriot fan says the same thing fallowing the sheep of the FO. and where has that got them in 8 years and i would say they are more succesful in those 15 years than the ravens. Keep on thinking everything is tootie fruitie in Bmore. Then you wake up one day and your team looks like the Titans.

BTW Riddle me this. Why go crying to another forum not raven and pizz and moan about the Texans?

I go raise hell at the titan forums but I don't come here or other forums and ask for a pat on the back or help.

Got something to say to us Texan fan say it to our face don't act like a girl and run. You lost a lot of respect fir that ****** move.
You seem to think that the Ravens just sprung up over night? Yes I typed "We"- no I don't play. I can find thousands of instances on this board where posters have typed "we" in reference to the Texans. Whatever dude- you'll get over it.

Now, as far as the Ravens, Patriots, I'll even throw in the Steelers go, their FO success is very apparent in the season win loss records, Div Titles (Ravens lack #'s here because of The Steelers), Playoff wins and Super Bowls. Go look up the records since 96- its all there.

As far as what I posted on another board, its more of an appreciation for tm, a fan base that I spar with constantly yet I am friends with- having met some of them and drank beers while talking football. Sure some hate me; I sue that to my advantage but in general they respect me. Maybe I was harsh- do you want an apology? My guess is that if I gave one, you and others would discredit it immediately. Its a no win situation for me. I understand that but it doesn't change who I am or what I write.

And as much as you think the Titans suck, they have enjoyed more success than the Texans have. I know, they used to be our biggest most bitter rivals before re-alignment. Maybe you are a wee bit jealous?
Old 03-27-2013   #177
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I love music but never learned to play- buddy of mine is a bass guy.

We had a couple inches of snow the other day- 50 degrees today nd its all gone.

Crappiest winter two years in a row- I plow snow in my offseason and haven't made diddly two years in a row....normally I can pull in about $15-20k doing snow removal- made $2k this year....really crappy.

My GF was convinced that I was a bass player so she gave me one she mysteriously had lying around. I picked it up and started fooling with it and have been addicted to it ever since.
I played a little trumpet in High school and learning to read in another cleft is taking a bit of adjustment. If you really want to learn an instrument give it a shot. You might find the one that speaks to you.

I would think the lack of snow would be KIND of a good thing. Too much of it is a problem, but next winter MIGHT be a cold one. You never know.
Old 03-27-2013   #178
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Here's my problem; nobody on this board thinks Ed Reed is going to provide any kind of miracle. The majority of us have what I consider to be realistic expectations for what he will bring to the table, which is a guy who can make a solid contribution from a physical standpoint, apply his experience on the field, and show the other defensive backs how he prepares for the game.
I think your assertion that we all expect him to be some kind of miracle is a straw man argument that you perpetuate, but doesn't exist.
In short, I think you insist on arguing a point that nobody really opposes.
Ed Reed is not going to be a miracle for the Texans. Ed reed will not be the thing that puts the Texans "over the top". Ed Reed should be able to make a positive contribution to the success of the Texans in 2013.
It's not like Reed is showing up on a Defense with NO Talent. Some outside of Houston are acting like the Texans are a bunch of no talent rubes and Reed is our defensive messiah. Let's remember than Bill Belecheat had to formulate a special game plan to face J.J. Watt. I think Reed will be a pretty good cog in a machine that needs a fine tuning.
Old 03-27-2013   #179
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You seem to think that the Ravens just sprung up over night? Yes I typed "We"- no I don't play. I can find thousands of instances on this board where posters have typed "we" in reference to the Texans. Whatever dude- you'll get over it.

Now, as far as the Ravens, Patriots, I'll even throw in the Steelers go, their FO success is very apparent in the season win loss records, Div Titles (Ravens lack #'s here because of The Steelers), Playoff wins and Super Bowls. Go look up the records since 96- its all there.

As far as what I posted on another board, its more of an appreciation for tm, a fan base that I spar with constantly yet I am friends with- having met some of them and drank beers while talking football. Sure some hate me; I sue that to my advantage but in general they respect me. Maybe I was harsh- do you want an apology? My guess is that if I gave one, you and others would discredit it immediately. Its a no win situation for me. I understand that but it doesn't change who I am or what I write.

And as much as you think the Titans suck, they have enjoyed more success than the Texans have. I know, they used to be our biggest most bitter rivals before re-alignment. Maybe you are a wee bit jealous?
Lol, the Ravens did spring up overnight, go troll a Browns forum.
Old 03-27-2013   #180
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:

Not jealous. Just don't like em. And now they reap what they sow.
Just like The Pats once Brady retires.
The Steelers are the exception. They have been solid for almost 40 years and have the rings to prove it.

I don't want or need an apology. Just think its chicken bleep. I'm telling you how I see it here not on another forum.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read