Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2013   #181
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
With such little if not no interest from other teams I still think Eric Winston will end up back here 1 or 2 year deal after June 1st.
Thought I heard he was in for a visit with the fins. Can anyone verify this or know what happened?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #182
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Thought I heard he was in for a visit with the fins. Can anyone verify this or know what happened?
I've read that he's asking too much money. Which means the odds of him coming back here are slim. Unless he drastically lowers his price
Old 03-27-2013   #183
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)
Quote:
Texans will sign more veteran FAs who they can get with affordable deals. I expect an OT, ILB, WR and perhaps a NT.

I don't think this will happen, but if NT Casey Hampton would do a deal close 2 minimum 2 stay home, I think Texans should check him out.

Hampton would have to be in good shape and agree to be part of the rotation with Earl Mitchell. He's worth considering with his resume.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #184
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)
I'd like him better if he got more than 2 combine tackles per game.
Old 03-27-2013   #185
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
McClain can tackle any combination of food you throw at him, LOL.

(I'm just having fun.).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #186
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hampton's impact isn't about tackles. It never was. He demands double teams to free up the linebackers. If he can do that to let Cushing and our other LB do their thing while still getting 2 tackles a game then I'd say he's worth it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #187
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59115 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Hampton's impact isn't about tackles. It never was. He demands double teams to free up the linebackers. If he can do that to let Cushing and our other LB do their thing while still getting 2 tackles a game then I'd say he's worth it.
Well worth it. Ask ray Lewis how much difference a guy like that makes.
Old 03-28-2013   #188
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Daryl Smith is someone I like and since he was injured last season and is over 30 & he isn't getting a ton of interest (it seems). He's another player at the end of his career but he is a hell of a player when healthy. One of the best linebackers in the NFL a few years ago, can play all over the field. He isn't a pass rusher but he is very instinctive and covers a ton of ground. He missed almost all of last season with a groin injury but I think he played the last couple of games for them. He'd be another short term fix, but another proven veteran who could really help Cushing inside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #189
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping they're looking for a decent OT. I doubt that Caveman comes back, he seems to be looking for another sizeable payday and we can't afford that. Ryan Harris looks like the best fit for the scheme and the remaining budget.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #190
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Daryl Smith is someone I like and since he was injured last season and is over 30 & he isn't getting a ton of interest (it seems). He's another player at the end of his career but he is a hell of a player when healthy. One of the best linebackers in the NFL a few years ago, can play all over the field. He isn't a pass rusher but he is very instinctive and covers a ton of ground. He missed almost all of last season with a groin injury but I think he played the last couple of games for them. He'd be another short term fix, but another proven veteran who could really help Cushing inside.
You talking about the ILB from Jville right? If that's who I think you are talking about, yes I would have to agree with you. He also has been somewhat of a thorn in the Texans side when we play Jville, seems to have decent to very good games against us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #191
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie
Man .... Im not impressed with the remaining FA's at the WR spot .... most of them did next to nothing in terms of production and those that did were system guy's.

I think you might be better off just drafting two in the early rounds and save your $$$ for depth at both ILB abd OLB when the June cuts roll around.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #192
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I've read that he's asking too much money. Which means the odds of him coming back here are slim. Unless he drastically lowers his price
Somebody on a fins board said that Winston was asking for $6m-$8m a year. He's out of his mind. Andre Smith (Bengals RT) is also an UFA, and he wants in upwards of $9m a year as well.
Old 03-28-2013   #193
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously we can't afford Winston if he's deluded enough to be asking for $6 Mill but I do know that if we stay with the status quo, we won't be very good on O.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #194
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

we won a championship & that was with trying to figure out who our right guard is. That should not be issue.
Old 03-28-2013   #195
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
Obviously we can't afford Winston if he's deluded enough to be asking for $6 Mill but I do know that if we stay with the status quo, we won't be very good on O.
The Texans probably wont be able to afford him even if he comes down off that high horse to a reasonable price ... We'll likely be looking at Vet Min or close to it guy's from here on.

I get the idea that the team didnt want to push money off into future years caps ... Not reworking AJ or Ninja's deals to free up a few $$$ .... as they have some big decisions to make on Cushing , Watt and KJax. coming up. Pushing money to future years doesnt help them with that ....

Draft picks and bargin FA's .... thats what I expect.

Old 03-28-2013   #196
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Man .... Im not impressed with the remaining FA's at the WR spot .... most of them did next to nothing in terms of production and those that did were system guy's.

I think you might be better off just drafting two in the early rounds and save your $$$ for depth at both ILB abd OLB when the June cuts roll around.
By no means am I a fan of Heyward-bey, but from that list, I might choose him just for his ability to take the top off a defense.
He might not be all that good, but his speed has to be respected, and that alone has some value, both opening up the passing game underneath, and keeping safeties honest so they can't cheat on the running game.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #197
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
By no means am I a fan of Heyward-bey, but from that list, I might choose him just for his ability to take the top off a defense.
He might not be all that good, but his speed has to be respected, and that alone has some value, both opening up the passing game underneath, and keeping safeties honest so they can't cheat on the running game.
Call me crazy but of the list of FA's .... I think I might go with Steve Breaston or Braylon Edwards at the right price. (the fact that I even spoke the name Braylon Edwards says a lot about how piss poor the FA WR's are).

Old 03-28-2013   #198
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is ever a time to dig through the bargain bin, it looks like this is the year.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #199
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
If there is ever a time to dig through the bargain bin, it looks like this is the year.
There will be a lot of guy's playing for peanuts .... there just isnt a lot of cap space to go around.

Old 03-28-2013   #200
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect the next serious "shopping flurry" won't happen until after the draft is over and OTAs start. And maybe not until the June 1st cuts happen. We might see onesies and twosies between now and then but nothing more.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read