Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-25-2013   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Quote:
Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Based on interviews over the past several weeks with current and former players, I'm told that a current gay NFL player is strongly considering coming out publicly within the next few months -- and after doing so, the player would attempt to continue his career.

I'm told this player feels the time is now for someone to take this step -- despite homophobic remarks from San Francisco 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver and the controversy arising recently at the Indianapolis Scouting combine, when prospects were asked questions about their sexuality.

This player's true concern, I'm told, is not the reaction inside an NFL locker room but outside of it. The player fears he will suffer serious harm from homophobic fans, and that is the only thing preventing him from coming out. My sources will not say who this alleged player is.

Full story
Old 03-25-2013   #2
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

Good for Blaine Gabbert, I'm sure he'll get a lot of support.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be a very, very long time before a homosexual comes out in the NFL. JMO and I certainly would never say never, but it's gonna be a long time before it happens.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
It will be a very, very long time before a homosexual comes out in the NFL. JMO and I certainly would never say never, but it's gonna be a long time before it happens.
If you say so. A bunch of NFL players (including the immediate past president of the players' association) have made public statements or signed off on briefs supporting the gay marriage cases which will be heard by the S.Ct. this week. Some of them went so far as to have their own brief written in support.
Old 03-25-2013   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-coming-out/

Quote:
Per Freeman, the player fears the reaction not from within the locker room, but from homophobic fans. And that’s a legitimate concern; the combination of paying for a ticket and supporting a team and consuming a little alcohol (or a lot) turns normal people into loud, classless, profane jerks who will do and say anything to get under the skin of the members of the visiting team. And sometimes the members of the home team.
Old 03-25-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I don't think it's the players as much as the outside influences. I played with guys I suspected were gay..later on after they were done playing the came out...

I didn't feel icky because my locker was stationed next to a gay guy...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #7
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

My money is on Tom Brady, his Justin Bieber haircut along with his head band.

Not that there is anything wrong with it. Being gay that is. There is plenty wrong with the Justin bieber haircut and headband that goes along with it. Plenty wrong.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2013   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

So are unecessary roughness hits on a openly gay NFL player 15 yards, or a hate crime?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I'm just not all that interested in hearing about who likes boys.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Sorry, but I'm just not all that interested in hearing about who likes boys.
Really not a question of your interest level. It's about how they have to live their lives in secrecy.
Old 03-26-2013   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a tough one. There are a lot of homophobic people out there, and I'm pretty sure that football has more than it's fair share of fans that fall into this category.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone's sexual orientation is. It's not my business and who am I to tell them that they're wrong? I have noticed that TV shows have incorporated more gay characters into their shows, so people are not as shocked as they used to be. Having said that, there are people out there who won't watch those shows because of that very reason and this anonymous player's concerns about fans boycotting him or his team are very valid.

I think it really boils down to whether or not the player needs to feel validated for being openly gay. There will be backlash to some degree, the severity will just depend on the market that the player plays in. We all know that some places are more acceptable than others.
Old 03-26-2013   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
This is a tough one. There are a lot of homophobic people out there, and I'm pretty sure that football has more than it's fair share of fans that fall into this category.

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone's sexual orientation is. It's not my business and who am I to tell them that they're wrong? I have noticed that TV shows have incorporated more gay characters into their shows, so people are not as shocked as they used to be. Having said that, there are people out there who won't watch those shows because of that very reason and this anonymous player's concerns about fans boycotting him or his team are very valid.

I think it really boils down to whether or not the player needs to feel validated for being openly gay. There will be backlash to some degree, the severity will just depend on the market that the player plays in. We all know that some places are more acceptable than others.
The severity will also depend on who the player is. I think there would be a much different reaction if Calvin Johnson or Tom Brady came out as gay as opposed to the Vikings backup left guard or the Browns long snapper.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #13
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131013 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you gay? Do you wish you could be a polygamist? Do you worship satan? Cha...I don't CARE if you're a good football player and not hurting anyone or breaking any laws. Some said Earnest Givens was. I don't know if he was or not but it doesn't change my opinion of the fact that he remains my favorite Oiler receiver. Some say Jacoby Jones is. My utter disrespect for Jones wouldn't be altered one bit if he was or wasn't.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, It doesn't bother me either way. Do I believe in same sex relationships? Not really, but I've never been one to demean other peoples beliefs.

That said, I do think they'd be harassed more so by the media and fans than actual teammates
Old 03-26-2013   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...supreme-court/

Ayanbadejo speaks at rally on steps of Supreme Court

On Tuesday, the United State Supreme Court took up the question of whether California’s ban on same-sex marriage violates the Constitution.

Outside, Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo spoke at a rally supporting same-sex marriage.

“First and foremost, I have to say I’m not here as a Baltimore Raven,” Ayanbadejo said, via Erik Brady of USA Today. “I’m actually here as a patriot — as a patriot to uphold the Constitution of the United States. . . .
Old 03-26-2013   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, I wouldn't care if a player is openly gay but it could cause trouble in a locker room. I don't think it's right that a person feels that they cannot be who they want to be, but it's their colleagues that do that to them, not the fans really.
Old 03-26-2013   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Meh, I wouldn't care if a player is openly gay but it could cause trouble in a locker room. I don't think it's right that a person feels that they cannot be who they want to be, but it's their colleagues that do that to them, not the fans really.
Especially if there are hard-core religious types in the locker room. I can just see the media not just bugging the heck out of the gay dude but asking pointed questions of the guys whose faith is strictly opposed to gay tolerance in any form.

Yeah, the mess will come mainly from the media just to keep some crap stirred up. And keep the phone lines filled and their web-sites jumping.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I agree with what Obsi is saying about the fact that the media would try to stir things up. I think the actual workplace stuff is overblown. I have worked in several offices in Houston with openly gay people (including having supervised a few) and other than an initial titillation of "did you hear he or she is gay" it was done. No harassment, essentially no comments behind their backs, they weren't shunned from private parties nor while at business events like the Christmas Party when they brought their partner.
Old 03-26-2013   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Football players can be just as capable of being intolerant hypocritical d-bags as anyone else in this country, so yeah, I can see how it could be a problem for some.

But I think drunk morons in the stands are the ones that will really make it difficult for him. Every city has them, and as long as they are paying customers, NFL teams will continue to have low standards in order to take their money.

Free country and all that jazz, but I would not blame him at all for staying in the closet while being an active player in the NFL.
Old 03-26-2013   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

There's few if any demographics in this country that expresses its machismo beliefs with more bravado on the one hand and on the other maintains a more enduring belief in its Christian faith than young, male African-Americans who also happen to dominate in the NFL both on its playing fields and in its locker rooms. And lots and lots of things are gonna have to change before the intimacy of those locker rooms is extended to a gay member.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read