Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2013   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans hire Asst Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Buccaneers fire special teams coach Bob Ligashesky

Title ...............................................Team .................Years
Special Teams Coordinator .........Tampa Bay Buccaneers ...2012
Special Teams Assistant Coach ...Oakland Raiders .............2011
Tight Ends Coach Denver ...........Broncos .......................2010
Special Teams Coach ................Pittsburgh Steelers .....2007 - 2009
Special Teams Coach ................St. Louis Rams .......,...2005 - 2006
Special Teams Coach ................Jacksonville Jaguars ........2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Universally disliked everywhere he's been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How did he do at his previous stings before the Bucs?
This is his SEVENTH stop in nine years....
...and we're hiring this nomad, why???

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #22
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
thanks for the heads up...I guess.
Ehh I was just trying to be funny. Guess it didnt work out that way. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 03-26-2013   #23
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is his SEVENTH stop in nine years....
...and we're hiring this nomad, why???

So we can fire him at the end of next year when our special teams still suck.

/not kidding.
Old 03-26-2013   #24
Calface4
inthisforlife

Rep Power: 0 Calface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respected

Two wrongs certainly don't make a right...
Calface4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #25
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not like they can do worse. They were #32 last year. Even if they get to mid 20's it will be a big improvement!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

When it was evident to everyone on the planet that Richard Smith and then Frank Bush weren't getting the job done, Kubiak didn't fire them. He waited. According to reports, he was told he had to fire Frank Bush or be fired. Loyalty can be a good trait, but not when it blinds you to a person's shortcomings.
Old 03-26-2013   #27
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Shane Lechler and Bob Ligashesky overlaped in Oakland for 1 year in 2011.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When it was evident to everyone on the planet that Richard Smith and then Frank Bush weren't getting the job done, Kubiak didn't fire them. He waited. According to reports, he was told he had to fire Frank Bush or be fired. Loyalty can be a good trait, but not when it blinds you to a person's shortcomings.
By all accounts, Joe Marciano is a nice guy and a stand up dude.

You know who else was a nice guy and a stand up dude? Fred Rogers (RIP), of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. And I never saw any NFL team give him a shot as a coach because he was a nice guy and a stand up dude.

There has got to be more to this blind allegiance and loyalty than we see as fans. It just doesn't make sense to not hold the coach of the worst special teams unit in the NFL accountable.
Old 03-26-2013   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There has got to be more to this blind allegiance and loyalty than we see as fans.
There is. I have figured it out.

*drum roll*

Kubiak is just not a good HEAD coach.

If I didn't love my current avatar so much (thank you DB), I'd perma-switch to the pink soap. Yeah, yeah ... 12-4, back to back playoff wins ... save it, folks. Not interested.
Old 03-26-2013   #30
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
By all accounts, Joe Marciano is a nice guy and a stand up dude.

You know who else was a nice guy and a stand up dude? Fred Rogers (RIP), of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. And I never saw any NFL team give him a shot as a coach because he was a nice guy and a stand up dude.

There has got to be more to this blind allegiance and loyalty than we see as fans. It just doesn't make sense to not hold the coach of the worst special teams unit in the NFL accountable.

I agree! However, Mr. Rogers was a SEAL in real life, so we probably could have used him!
Old 03-26-2013   #31
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
I agree! However, Mr. Rogers was a SEAL in real life, so we probably could have used him!
I wish that were true, because it would make him an even bigger badass than he already was (RIP). It's urban legend however.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Home run worked with TE's & former Bronco

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #33
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I wish that were true, because it would make him an even bigger badass than he already was (RIP). It's urban legend however.
My Bad! It is an urban legend! I think I'm getting oldtimers disease.
Old 03-26-2013   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just to add to this: I think the wording Bob McNair used, in regards to the infamous 2010 meltdown and subsequent 2011 hiring of Wade Phillips, is that Bob said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Gary had a choice to make, whether he sticks with his assistants or makes a change. He knows that the loyalty he has for his coaches can sometimes make him go down with the ship in the end. That was something that unfortunately happened with Dom Capers here. Dom was loyal to his guys, too, a great man. But he couldn't part ways with certain coaches and make certain moves, and he ended up going down with the ship."

The conclusion I drew from that interview was this: Gary wasn't told to fire Frank Bush. But Gary WAS told that IF the team continued to slide on defense in 2011, with Frank Bush at the controls, that it would probably be the end of Gary's tenure here as HC.

I do believe that Rick Smith and Bob McNair wanted a change at d-coord. I think Bum Phillips reaching out to Bob was instrumental. I would not put it past Rick Smith to have actually orchestrated the infamous "Bum and Bob and Pastorini lunch" they had where Bum pitched to Bob the idea of Wade as our DC. Look, things were so bad at that time that I can fully envision a bit of collusion among all of them. Get it out in the media, show that a legend like Bum (and Pastorini) were having a lunch about the state of the Texans, and even Gary Kubiak begins to "get it." He knows the game is up. He can read the tea leaves from the media coverage of that lunch.

Bum and Wade figured they knew how to help Houston get back to fighting form very quickly. So they reached out to Bob, or they reached out to Bum and Wade. Every effort was made to make sure everyone in the media AND in the Texans organization knew that Bum was not politicking for his son take over as HC. It was repeated a lot, with Bum saying "Bob, hear us out. Keep Gary as the head coach. But Wade is the man for the defense. We know he is."

Wade was hush-hush, you never heard from him much (if any at all) and I think Bob and Rick met with Gary and basically made Gary an offer he couldn't refuse. Either Wade's name was going to be on that d-coordinator's job listing or Gary could face the stark reality that a dismal 2011 with Frank Bush at DC would mean the end of all of them.

It was the most obvious thing in the world. You knew that Gary was having his hand forced on the issue of d-coord, and I think Bob and Rick did it very skillfully to really make it obvious without being rude about it. Pretty genius, actually. Gary wasn't told he HAD to fire Bush, but yet he had to.

And you know what? The guy is being a dumbass about his special teams unit. It must be frustrating for guys like Rick and Bob to sit there and watch how they intervened in Gary's coaching decisions and saved Gary from the fire...and yet Gary cannot cut bait on his ST coach even after all the writing on the wall indicates that it will not get any better on ST.

This is why I am so amazed at how many people think this team would suffer if Gary Kubiak wasn't head coach. Looking at these situations, happening over and over by the way, you get the sense that Gary is the most stubborn man alive. Loyalty is good. Loyalty without limits is bad. And he refuses to learn from history. It's fascinating. The depth of stubbornness that he goes to.
Old 03-26-2013   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

When I watch The Walking Dead, sometimes I look at Daryl's inability to just kill his brother Merle and be done with it....and I think "Daryl is a lot like Gary Kubiak, both of them are too loyal to people who AREN"T HELPING matters. In fact, the problem grows."

Inaction and paralysis is awful. Gary is just unable to really do anything that requires facing a let-down. It's why he can't watch game-deciding field goals. Yeah, yeah, yeah: It's just his silly tradition. Whatever. For all the talk of how he's a genius and all that jazz, the guy cannot stomach tense moments that might end in catastrophe.

He'd rather work with a known commodity (Frank Bush, Matt Schaub, Joe Marciano, David Anderson, Kevin Walter, etc.) than risk having his paradigm shifted half of an inch to the right or left.

This is probably why Jacoby Jones just never could get it together here. Jacoby was a challenge for Gary. Then Jacoby goes to Baltimore, and all of a sudden he's making all these clutch catches in big games when he couldn't even pull down no more than 1 pass in 11 targets in the 2011 Oakland game at Reliant when AJ was out. That's why our offense is dying a slow death, IMO: Gary doesn't know how to adjust and diversify his offense. He's lost David Anderson. Matt Schaub is lesser of a QB now with the foot injury. OD is getting older and slower, less durable, he lost Dreessen to the Broncos, let Winston go and lost Brisiel to free agency a year ago, and now he's lost James Casey and cut Kevin Walter. For a man who doesn't like his cheese moved, he's had his cheese moved a lot the past two off-seasons. And even the things he did to re-load, adding Martin and Posey in the draft, have had severe hiccups in one form or another. Now he doesn't even have Posey, and Martin is a question mark as a reliable every-down WR.

So, things are a little bleak if you ask me. Gary has an uphill climb this year. Even more than he did last year. 2013 will be another season of Wade' guys having to bail Gary out. And roughly halfway through the season, it will take its toll and I don't even know that adding Ed Reed can get us over the hump this time around.

I have low, low expectations this year. Like 9-win expectations type of low expectations. When Kirwan says we're likely a wild card team, I can understand why he thinks that. It's possible. Very possible.

I will go so far as to even say that we probably go deeper into the playoffs if we DO go in as a wild card team. This team cannot handle being the favorite. It melts under the pressure. Might as well pump themselves up with anger at being "just a wildcard team," and then have the old "We'll show them!" attitude rather than winning the division and watching HFA slip away as you piss away each HFA-clutching game the last two weeks of the season. You could just tell after the Patriots game that this team was gassed. Pooped. Done. Finished. They were. It was like watching your dog die slowly over four weeks of time. And then fellow fans telling you that you don't have faith in your team and you're a POS for not believing they'd heal themselves and be normal again. LOL. Yeah, sure. ****ing super fans.
Old 03-26-2013   #36
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

What I don't get is how the team can look at past Texans, such as Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday, doing so well on other teams and not think it is anything but the coaching that is the problem.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit... Changed my mind.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
What I don't get is how the team can look at past Texans, such as Jacoby Jones and Trindon Holliday, doing so well on other teams and not think it is anything but the coaching that is the problem.
While I've never touted Kubiak, I still think it cuts both ways.

You look at how many players that have found jobs after the Texans, there must be something there.

Many QBs didn't make a name for themselves until they won the big ones.
The same thing goes with HCs.
Heck, even Wade Phillips was questioned about his failure as a HC; and as a DC, he still has that sophomore stigma with him.
Somehow, his defense always end up regressing in the second year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #39
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In this case 1+1 may equal 0. Adding one of the worst ST coaches in the league to help one of the worst ST coaches in the league doesn't seem like a very smart means to an end.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #40
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hired a guy who got fired for being a crappy special teams coach to help our crappy special teams coach. Makes perfect sense.

He's going to help our crappy special teams coach get fired. Obviously Joe can't quite get it done on his own so they're getting him some help. Just imagine what kind of special teams play is in store for us in 2013!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read