Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2013   #21
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA FB Greg Jones to visit Texans today

I think its unlikely he takes the vet min
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg jones is better than vonta leach.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #23
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping the FO will open the purse strings a little for this guy! This team really misses a Vonta Leach type player!
Old 03-26-2013   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Forearm shiver anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbO3ZOQMbQ
Old 03-26-2013   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see him here.
Old 03-26-2013   #26
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
He looks like a machine and I AM for going after him for the vet minimum but how old is he? Don't FBs wear out pretty fast?
Jones will be 32 in May. Jones is roughly 6 months younger then Leach, so it doesn't seem as if age should be an issue. I do agree vet minimum might not get him, but Clutts would become expendable & his money would be freed up to help sign Jones.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #27
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Jones will be 32 in May. Jones is roughly 6 months younger then Leach, so it doesn't seem as if age should be an issue. I do agree vet minimum might not get him, but Clutts would become expendable & his money would be freed up to help sign Jones.
Jones is actually 6 months older than Vonta, as Leach will turn 32 in November.

Hopefully he's got a year or two left (unless we don't sign him, in which case, hopefully he's totally washed up).
Old 03-26-2013   #28
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Jones is actually 6 months older than Vonta, as Leach will turn 32 in November.

Hopefully he's got a year or two left (unless we don't sign him, in which case, hopefully he's totally washed up).
You are correct. My mistake. I knew Leach was in November, but I misread the year. I think they both have plenty left to be honest.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #29
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

What I wanna know is did Bob send a jet?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #30
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
I think its unlikely he takes the vet min
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Greg jones is better than vonta leach.
Who else is bidding for his services?
Anyone know??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #31
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us. Obviously we won't break the bank but if it takes a little bit more we can find room. We are probably talking hundreds of thousands, not millions. Clutts can stick around as a cheap backup and special teamer but I regret not keeping McManis. That guy is almost as good as Braman on teams.
Old 03-26-2013   #32
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us. Obviously we won't break the bank but if it takes a little bit more we can find room. We are probably talking hundreds of thousands, not millions. Clutts can stick around as a cheap backup and special teamer but I regret not keeping McManis. That guy is almost as good as Braman on teams.
1.2 milly is my prediction.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #33
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans can draft a FB in the 7th or sign a cheaper one as an UDFA. If you can get Jones, you ditch Clutts.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Maurice Jones-Drew ‏@Jones_Drew32
Quote:
Noooooooo!!!!!! “@AdamSchefter: Jaguars FB Greg Jones is visiting the Texans today.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #35
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
yeah, this greg jones..all be it 10 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKknaWEln9w
Looked a little like that Earl Campbell hit at the goal line when he was at Texas, although when Earl hit the guy, he came up off the ground about 3', oh and backwards about 10 yards!
Old 03-26-2013   #36
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Now that's football!!!

I wonder how long the forearm shiver will be legal with all the new liability limitation/player safety rules? If applied to the defender's head, it probably is already illegal. The fullback may become an endangered species in the new "safer" NFL (No-contact Football League). It won't be long before the crown rule is applied to fullbacks as well as running backs (I'm not sure, they may already be included in the new rule).

In my view, the power running game is football...my big uglies versus your big uglies. Old fart that I am, I think the fullback is a fundamental part of the running game. Without it, the game becomes nothing but trickery and deception (screens, counters, play-action passes) or it devolves into the spread or run and shoot where the running play itself becomes a deception.

Third and goal at the two yard line...you know I want to run the ball...and I know you know. I must to be able to run the ball into the end zone. If you know I can't run the ball in from the two, all you have do is set six or eight DBs back in coverage and you've effectively stopped me. We've all watched this happen again and again. Somebody, either my running back or my fullback has to take care of All-Pro inside linebacker filling the gap that is my lane to the end zone.

While I do like the ability to run from a singleback formation, it has limitations when used exclusively (look at the Colts' running game for the last ten years).

Official end of rant...I think he would be a great addition for the team.
Old 03-26-2013   #37
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

would be a VERY strong signing and would considerably improve our offense IMO.
Old 03-26-2013   #38
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen, and read about him, he looks and sounds like what this running game needs. I would love to have a FB back there cracking heads, and blowing defenders up opening some holes for Arian to go to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Damn! Dude is a monster!

I really hope we can sign this beast.

He kinda has that Ed Reed thing going on.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT

Last edited by False Start; 03-26-2013 at 03:25 PM.
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think he needs to sign at the vet minimum for it to be a good deal for us.
I can't remember the details but Jones has enough seniority he can be signed to a vet minimum contract plus a signing bonus (which has some limit on it) and then only counts half as much on the cap.

Either way I think he would be an excellent signing. He is a much better receiver than his stats indicate. The Hags have just been incredibly poor at utilizing him.
Old 03-26-2013   #40
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
Now that's football!!!

I wonder how long the forearm shiver will be legal with all the new liability limitation/player safety rules? If applied to the defender's head, it probably is already illegal. The fullback may become an endangered species in the new "safer" NFL (No-contact Football League). It won't be long before the crown rule is applied to fullbacks as well as running backs (I'm not sure, they may already be included in the new rule).

In my view, the power running game is football...my big uglies versus your big uglies. Old fart that I am, I think the fullback is a fundamental part of the running game. Without it, the game becomes nothing but trickery and deception (screens, counters, play-action passes) or it devolves into the spread or run and shoot where the running play itself becomes a deception.

Third and goal at the two yard line...you know I want to run the ball...and I know you know. I must to be able to run the ball into the end zone. If you know I can't run the ball in from the two, all you have do is set six or eight DBs back in coverage and you've effectively stopped me. We've all watched this happen again and again. Somebody, either my running back or my fullback has to take care of All-Pro inside linebacker filling the gap that is my lane to the end zone.

While I do like the ability to run from a singleback formation, it has limitations when used exclusively (look at the Colts' running game for the last ten years).

Official end of rant...I think he would be a great addition for the team.
Didn't sound like a rant to me. I agree with every word of it. He's a hoss and if that's not the definition of 'cut', then I don't know what is.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read