Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-24-2013   #21
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

About Bostic, he is one of the few ILBer prospects that I think can help us right away. The one thing I don't like about him is that he seems to be a bit out of control, emotionally. I vaguely remember seeing teammates and coaches trying to calm him down on several different occasions.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #22
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans signing Lechner pretty much nullifies both of our punters but we were right in feeling need to replace Jones.

Hard time grading out WR class, quality to choose from so feel better value with 2nd rd selection. I do like Aaron Dobson a lot or maybe Terrance Williams is still on the board not to mention Patton.

Pass rusher is needed. Really all are projections, still making mine. Applaud you for trying, just don't know enough about him. What I do know is the Texans prefer taller frame to build out 6-4 to 6-7'.

Is Wolfe a good protege for Ed Reed? Discuss
Yup. Punter is now off the board. I have to admit feeling vindicated. You and I were part of the few who kept advocating for getting rid of Jones for a better punter. Lechler is a great punter and should be able to improve the position.

The WRs are really tough to grade out. On one hand I like Justin Hunter. He has size, speed, route running etc. The one drawback(now that he seems to be healing and his speed is returning) is that he sometimes doesn't focus completely and can drop some easy passes. On the other hand, a guy like DeAndre Hopkins has hands, route running, blocking ability, and has a real low drop rate. Justin Hunter is more risk, but potentially more reward. He has a higher potential for bust factor. DeAndre Hopkins has a lower ceiling, but a higher floor. At worst he should be a very nice #2. At worst, Hunter could be a Jacoby Jones: flashes great ability but drops too many passes to be a starter. Its a tough conundrum. Part of me wants to go hunter, but I could see a case being made for the safe route like Hopkins.

Reed is 6'3, Mercilus is 6'4, Bramen is 6'5. Yes, they seem to like the 6'3 and up guys. If they have their heart set on a bigger OLB, they could go with my guy Quanterus Smith. He may need an IR year, but could be a steal in the later rounds. Could be smart since the team has so many draft picks and it will be hard to keep every draft pick on the team. Stashing him on IR may make sense.

I think Wolfe would be a great protege for Ed Reed. Reed was 5'11 201lbs with a 4.57 40 time. Wolfe is 6'0 207 with a 4.44 40 time. Like Reed, Wolfe seems to be around the ball. He had 7 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, and 2 ints. that comes out to 10 passes that he prevented from being completed, or approximately one key play per game. Part of playing as a safety is having good instincts, that cannot be taught and Wolfe has that. One thing he could improve is deep CF coverage. He has the speed, he has the hands, what he lacks his technique. Having a coach like Vance Joseph off the field and a coach like Ed Reed on the field will provide the necessary training Wolfe will need to transition into the Ed Reed spot in a couple of years. For now, he has the chance to compete for the #3 safety spot with Eddie Pleasant(hopefully Keo is kept as far away from it as possible).

Another interesting prospect is Cooper Taylor from Richmond. He is a safety listed at 6'5 and 235 lbs with a 4.69 40 time. He is good at covering WRs down the field and is a tackler. He had 77 tackles with five tackles for a loss, 9 passes broken up, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. He almost screams LB to me. If he can add some weight possibly a 3-4 OLB or a ILB next to Cush.

While I like Wolfe, I just thought of a way to get more value out of Taylor.

----------Watt---Cody---Smith

-----Reed------Cushing----Mercilus
-----------Taylor

------------------Manning

Jackson-------------------------Joseph

------------------Reed

In this Defense, you would use Taylor almost like an extra roaming ILB who would slot in behind Reed/Cush or Cush/Merci. His speed would allow him to attack the QB as another pass rusher, be a run defender, or take on the TEs/slot receivers. He could also always line up on Strongside to the side and back of Cush. He has the speed to keep up with TEs and the size to cause them problems. Having put on a few pounds would make him even tougher without sacrificing the speed. Considering the way the NFL is going with its pass happy offenses and now zone reads, it almost makes sense to play a Safety as a secondary roaming ILB than a pure ILB next to Cush.

So, I guess what I am saying is I would draft both Wolfe and Taylor. Taylor would slide into
"ILB/roaming safety" while Wolfe would be groomed to become Ed Reed's replacement.

Thoughts?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #23
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here's a link to a NFL Network discussion on Manuel. Casserly takes the side of Doppelganger & TexansSeminole, that Manuel is not a 1st round QB. Former Bronco GM Ted Sundquist makes Vinny's case that Manuel is a 1st round QB, and has what a team is looking for in a QB in today's NFL.

I can see both sides. I watched every pass and run from Manuel in the 2011 bowl games versus Notre Dame (a good college defense). The cons were that Manuel didn't really feel the rush and made some poor decisions with the ball (that didn't cost him, fortunately). The pros were that he showed he could make every throw and NFL QB needs to make, and kept his poise and led the team to a comeback win.

Right now, I don't think Manuel is as good as Matt Barkley. By 2015, Manuel could very well be better than Barkley. As Sundquist pointed out, Manuel didn't have the weapons around him that QBs like Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and Barkley had. In that Notre Dame bowl game, he had several freshman o-lineman blocking for him. Put Manuel in that West Virginia or USC offense, and maybe he's the one getting top 10 consideration.

BTW, Texan GM Rick Smith tutored under Sundquist in Denver, so it wouldn't be surprising if he (and Kubiak) evaluated Manuel in a similar fashion. And even if the Texans are not considering him with their pick at #27, it would be wise to bring Manuel in for an interview. There aren't an teams behind the Texans in the 1st round that are likely to go QB with their pick. And if the Texans want to generate interest for teams like the Eagles, Cards, or Jets to trade up, showing interest in E.J. would be the smart move.
If Asserly and I are agreeing, I am beginning to second guess myself!!!

Old 03-26-2013   #24
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101434 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Yup. Punter is now off the board. I have to admit feeling vindicated. You and I were part of the few who kept advocating for getting rid of Jones for a better punter. Lechler is a great punter and should be able to improve the position.

The WRs are really tough to grade out. On one hand I like Justin Hunter. He has size, speed, route running etc. The one drawback(now that he seems to be healing and his speed is returning) is that he sometimes doesn't focus completely and can drop some easy passes. On the other hand, a guy like DeAndre Hopkins has hands, route running, blocking ability, and has a real low drop rate. Justin Hunter is more risk, but potentially more reward. He has a higher potential for bust factor. DeAndre Hopkins has a lower ceiling, but a higher floor. At worst he should be a very nice #2. At worst, Hunter could be a Jacoby Jones: flashes great ability but drops too many passes to be a starter. Its a tough conundrum. Part of me wants to go hunter, but I could see a case being made for the safe route like Hopkins.

Reed is 6'3, Mercilus is 6'4, Bramen is 6'5. Yes, they seem to like the 6'3 and up guys. If they have their heart set on a bigger OLB, they could go with my guy Quanterus Smith. He may need an IR year, but could be a steal in the later rounds. Could be smart since the team has so many draft picks and it will be hard to keep every draft pick on the team. Stashing him on IR may make sense.

I think Wolfe would be a great protege for Ed Reed. Reed was 5'11 201lbs with a 4.57 40 time. Wolfe is 6'0 207 with a 4.44 40 time. Like Reed, Wolfe seems to be around the ball. He had 7 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble, and 2 ints. that comes out to 10 passes that he prevented from being completed, or approximately one key play per game. Part of playing as a safety is having good instincts, that cannot be taught and Wolfe has that. One thing he could improve is deep CF coverage. He has the speed, he has the hands, what he lacks his technique. Having a coach like Vance Joseph off the field and a coach like Ed Reed on the field will provide the necessary training Wolfe will need to transition into the Ed Reed spot in a couple of years. For now, he has the chance to compete for the #3 safety spot with Eddie Pleasant(hopefully Keo is kept as far away from it as possible).

Another interesting prospect is Cooper Taylor from Richmond. He is a safety listed at 6'5 and 235 lbs with a 4.69 40 time. He is good at covering WRs down the field and is a tackler. He had 77 tackles with five tackles for a loss, 9 passes broken up, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. He almost screams LB to me. If he can add some weight possibly a 3-4 OLB or a ILB next to Cush.

While I like Wolfe, I just thought of a way to get more value out of Taylor.

----------Watt---Cody---Smith

-----Reed------Cushing----Mercilus
-----------Taylor

------------------Manning

Jackson-------------------------Joseph

------------------Reed

In this Defense, you would use Taylor almost like an extra roaming ILB who would slot in behind Reed/Cush or Cush/Merci. His speed would allow him to attack the QB as another pass rusher, be a run defender, or take on the TEs/slot receivers. He could also always line up on Strongside to the side and back of Cush. He has the speed to keep up with TEs and the size to cause them problems. Having put on a few pounds would make him even tougher without sacrificing the speed. Considering the way the NFL is going with its pass happy offenses and now zone reads, it almost makes sense to play a Safety as a secondary roaming ILB than a pure ILB next to Cush.

So, I guess what I am saying is I would draft both Wolfe and Taylor. Taylor would slide into
"ILB/roaming safety" while Wolfe would be groomed to become Ed Reed's replacement.

Thoughts?
So you think Cody will be back?
Old 03-26-2013   #25
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So you think Cody will be back?
Wouldn't be surprised if Cody is resigned. The team needs depth at NT and Cody would be a cheap vet min signing. At the moment all the Texans have is Earl Mitchell and Ra'Shon "Sunny" Harris(spent the year on IR). A cheap vet like Cody would make sense along with a draft pick.

Old 03-26-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if Cody is resigned. The team needs depth at NT and Cody would be a cheap vet min signing. At the moment all the Texans have is Earl Mitchell and Ra'Shon "Sunny" Harris(spent the year on IR). A cheap vet like Cody would make sense along with a draft pick.
Cody probably won't be cleared medically until early April.
One has to wonder how his back will affect his play.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dopp, at the moment I don't like Wolff very much.
Suspect coverage, bad angles, poor tackling.
But a late fourth round grade is not out of the question.
I would agree to it, but if there are other guys around the same spot, I might go with them instead.
Old 03-26-2013   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I would agree to it, but if there are other guys around the same spot, I might go with them instead.
76 could you support your position on Wolff by submitting 50-75 screen shot so we can evaluate?
Old 03-26-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
76 could you support your position on Wolff by submitting 50-75 screen shot so we can evaluate?
LOL!

The unC and Clemson games are on youtube.
There's also a play where he got dragged into the endzone by a Vt runner (Ryan Williams.)
Good effort to hang on, but poor angle to begin with.
Old 03-26-2013   #30
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. I actually like Amerson as a safety much more than Wolff.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
That's a very good possibility right there.
To be honest, we lack the resources to evaluate players properly; we can only learn about them as much as we can.
Old 03-26-2013   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
But, Amerson plays corner. You'd have to project him in that position to like him more than Wolff. I've never been a big fan of drafting a guy, only to change his position. I'm not saying it doesn't work from time to time, it just seems too much like a project pick to me.
Old 03-26-2013   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
But, Amerson plays corner. You'd have to project him in that position to like him more than Wolff. I've never been a big fan of drafting a guy, only to change his position. I'm not saying it doesn't work from time to time, it just seems too much like a project pick to me.
Carnell Lake, Jairus Byrd, Malcolm Jenkins, Charles Godfrey, Eugene Wilson, Antrel Rolle, Renaldo Hill, Nick Collins, Hiram Eugene, Devin McCourty, Glover Quin...

Even Jason Allen started out as a CB and made the switch to safety.
When he played safety for the Dolphins (that's where he actually was groomed for by Saban) he played fairly well (better than at CB).
Old 03-26-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Kerry Rhodes was a QB that converted to safety during college.
Williams Moore was a CB that converted to safety in college.
George Wilson played WR in HS and college and was drafted as a WR in 2004;
He made the switch to safety in 2007.
Old 03-26-2013   #35
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Carnell Lake, Jairus Byrd, Malcolm Jenkins, Charles Godfrey, Eugene Wilson, Antrel Rolle, Renaldo Hill, Nick Collins, Hiram Eugene, Devin McCourty, Glover Quin...

Even Jason Allen started out as a CB and made the switch to safety.
When he played safety for the Dolphins (that's where he actually was groomed for by Saban) he played fairly well (better than at CB).
It no doubt works from time to time, I just can't project it so I don't try to.
Old 03-26-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Both T J Ward and Usama Young played CB in college.

I bet you if I go down the list of NFL starters (which I started doing a little while ago,) I'll find more.

There might be different reasons for the conversion, and I'm not saying that I'm a pro to be able to forecast the outcome, but basically, we've been talking about it a little.

Amerson played well when facing the QB.
I was told that he's not too bad in tackling (which I haven't checked out enough to know for sure.)
So that's a start.
Perhaps, I'll go back and watch him some more to see if there's anything I can learn.
Old 03-26-2013   #37
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't think "Sunny" Harris is on the team anymore. He's not listed on their roster on their official website at NFL.com anyways. The NT's that are listed are; Mitchell, Terrell McClain, and David Hunter.

McClain is one of those guys Rick Smith finds on the waiver wire all the time. They picked him up last year about mid season. He's 6'2", 300 lbs and was drafted in the 3rd round by Carolina in 2011. He started 12 games for them, had an injury, and was released by them, I think, before the 2012 season started. Then NE picked him up and he played in 1 game for them, and they cut him in October. The Texans picked him up and he's been on the team since. I don't think he ever recovered from his injury enough last season and that's why he had a tough time sticking with a team. He may be a serviceable NT if he's fully recovered from injury.

Hunter was an UDFA out of U of H last year and I think the Texans were really high on him, but he was injured, I think, in preseason, and put on IR for the whole year.

So, the NT position is pretty thin right now, but I don't think they'll resign Cody due to his bad back and age. My guess is the Texans will draft a NT, possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, to help out.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Hunter got a call up to the big league; and then he got injured (the next day or shortly right after.) What luck, LOL.
Old 03-28-2013   #39
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Don't think "Sunny" Harris is on the team anymore. He's not listed on their roster on their official website at NFL.com anyways. The NT's that are listed are; Mitchell, Terrell McClain, and David Hunter.

McClain is one of those guys Rick Smith finds on the waiver wire all the time. They picked him up last year about mid season. He's 6'2", 300 lbs and was drafted in the 3rd round by Carolina in 2011. He started 12 games for them, had an injury, and was released by them, I think, before the 2012 season started. Then NE picked him up and he played in 1 game for them, and they cut him in October. The Texans picked him up and he's been on the team since. I don't think he ever recovered from his injury enough last season and that's why he had a tough time sticking with a team. He may be a serviceable NT if he's fully recovered from injury.

Hunter was an UDFA out of U of H last year and I think the Texans were really high on him, but he was injured, I think, in preseason, and put on IR for the whole year.

So, the NT position is pretty thin right now, but I don't think they'll resign Cody due to his bad back and age. My guess is the Texans will draft a NT, possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, to help out.
Didn't Sunny go on the IR? I remember seeing him in preseason where he was playing well. Then he was injured and placed on the IR(I thought).

Hunter has potential, but needs to show more. McClain may be a warm camp body. I suspect the Texans will sign a cheap veteran NT after the draft and probably draft one in the mid rounds(say 4-6). Mitchell and FA will battle for the starting spot with the other guy being the depth player. rook, hunter, Harris(if still here), Hunter, and McClain will battle for depth/ST/PS.

Old 03-28-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

To my understanding, Harris was on IR.
He was an ERFA, but since we did not tender him in February, he's now an UFA.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read