Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-26-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rotoworld 2013 Mock Drafts

DR, I get your point but who would have thought they would go after let alone get Reed?
I think McNair is voicing his opinion more. I do think WR will be round two and a defensive player round one but if Patterson or a healthy Keenan Allen there #27, I doubt anyone will faint.
Old 03-26-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm completely ignorant to patterson. what i get from scouting reports is a juco transfer who split time between receiver, runningback, and returner. it seems he's more athlete than receiver, but has merely above average combine stats. watching highlights, i see a guy with ideal size with a high ceiling and exceptional bust potential - half of his tape isnt going to work in the pros. what i dont see is an heir to andre johnson or a #2, what i see is jacoby jones.

what am i missing?
Greg Cosell of NFL Films/Shutdown Corner agrees: "Patterson will be drafted high solely because of his size, and his dynamic movement. I don't think he's anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he's so much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands, as opposed to running routes. Running routes, he's not that dynamic, because he doesn't know how to do it yet. He needs to go to a team with a very good receivers coach, and he needs to be taught how to become a receiver."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You guys are all getting your hopes up over an offensive player in the 1st, when we know that chances are it will be defensive player...
Absent unexpected draft picks ahead of us, this will be an interesting test to see who has Rick Smith's ear. Wade & Gary will both be making a case for their side of the ball with that 27th pick.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Absent unexpected draft picks ahead of us, this will be an interesting test to see who has Rick Smith's ear. Wade & Gary will both be making a case for their side of the ball with that 27th pick.
Should come down to which need position is more highly represented in second round.
Old 03-26-2013   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
DR, I get your point but who would have thought they would go after let alone get Reed?
I think McNair is voicing his opinion more. I do think WR will be round two and a defensive player round one but if Patterson or a healthy Keenan Allen there #27, I doubt anyone will faint.
It's not really surprising that he got Ed Reed, Rick was a safety in college and probably idolizes him. Plus he had Andre Johnson helping him recruit, so there's that. In the drafts since Rick got here, we have gone defense in the first round of all of them but the Duane Brown pick. Rick's a defensive guy by nature, and I'm sure that he would love nothing more than to have a team like the 2000 Ravens who relied on excellent defense, and a solid running game. I think it's been pretty obvious that he focuses on the defense more than the offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Well so far, Gary is 1 for 6, so I would bet on Wade.
Old 03-26-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys are all getting your hopes up over an offensive player in the 1st, when we know that chances are it will be defensive player like ILB Minter or Brown. Then Kubiak will outsmart everyone by drafting a WR in the 2nd like Aaron Dobson, Marquess Wilson or Da'Rick Rogers (small school, big body WR that can block). Then we will spend the 3rds on a blocking TE like Dion Sims, and a smallish NT like Jordan Hill or Chris Jones. Thus helping us continue to tread water rather than take significant risks on players or make changes that might put us over the hump.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you all, but this team has a formula that hasn't really changed in years and I don't expect it to any time soon.
We didn't because we have AJ; but it's getting close to the time when we need to find a guy to tool up; especially without Walter and Posey on the shelf.

I'm not hooked on the Texans having to go WR in the first, but I see it as a BPA at a few positions of need.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Kubiak is a stickler on precise route running. Patterson's known for not running precise routes and relying on pure talent alone. Could he learn? You bet, but Kubiak hasn't really been known to throw a rookie skill player into the fire on day 1. Are we willing to use a 1st round pick on a player that might not see many snaps at all at the WR position in his 1st year? I dunno, man.
Old 03-26-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IIRC, Kubiak is a stickler on precise route running. Patterson's known for not running precise routes and relying on pure talent alone. Could he learn? You bet, but Kubiak hasn't really been known to throw a rookie skill player into the fire on day 1. Are we willing to use a 1st round pick on a player that might not see many snaps at all at the WR position in his 1st year? I dunno, man.
True

Just another difference between the Belichiks/Carrolls of the world and Gary.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True, but Kubiak also said many times that you want playmaker.
Do you think that Jacoby Jones was a good route runner out of college?
No.

Hunter isn't a great route runner either.

So I guess the best bet is Keenan Allen?
Old 03-26-2013   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys are all getting your hopes up over an offensive player in the 1st, when we know that chances are it will be defensive player like ILB Minter or Brown. Then Kubiak will outsmart everyone by drafting a WR in the 2nd like Aaron Dobson, Marquess Wilson or Da'Rick Rogers (small school, big body WR that can block). Then we will spend the 3rds on a blocking TE like Dion Sims, and a smallish NT like Jordan Hill or Chris Jones. Thus helping us continue to tread water rather than take significant risks on players or make changes that might put us over the hump.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you all, but this team has a formula that hasn't really changed in years and I don't expect it to any time soon.
I think if they take any defensive player in the first round it's going to be a pass rusherm but I'm not entirely sold that there's going to be a pass rusher the Texans really want at #27. I'm not entirely sold on your point that they use a formulaic approach that involves always going defensive in the top of the draft, I think the holes in the roster in previous years have just fallen that way come draft time.
Old 03-26-2013   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
True, but Kubiak also said many times that you want playmaker.
Do you think that Jacoby Jones was a good route runner out of college?
No.

Hunter isn't a great route runner either.

So I guess the best bet is Keenan Allen?
Jacoby was chosen in the 3rd round and wasn't expected to come in and start.

Personally, I'd go defense in the 1st and select someone like a Justin Hunter in the 2nd.
Old 03-26-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jacoby was chosen in the 3rd round and wasn't expected to come in and start.

Personally, I'd go defense in the 1st and select someone like a Justin Hunter in the 2nd.
I thought you'd bring up Jones' third round status; and it's a good point.

I would take Patterson with our spot in the first and/or Hunter at our spot in the second if they are there. No question asked.
Old 03-26-2013   #33
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's refreshing to see someone else has as much confidence in Kubiak as I do.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Another reason to draft Patterson is his return abilities.
Old 03-26-2013   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Another reason to draft Patterson is his return abilities.
whomever drafts Tavon Austin in the 1st is gonna be wasting their 1st pick on a returner...pray its not the texans....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #36
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
whomever drafts Tavon Austin in the 1st is gonna be wasting their 1st pick on a returner...pray its not the texans....
I agree.
Old 03-26-2013   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be pissed with tavon Austin, but I think there are better players we could take.

I think Austin can be explosive, but I think he will struggle as a receiver in a traditional offense. I think someone like Brice McCain could get physical with him at the line and take him out of his routes.

Gonna have to put him in the right situation and use him correctly.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #38
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wouldn't be pissed with tavon Austin, but I think there are better players we could take.

I think Austin can be explosive, but I think he will struggle as a receiver in a traditional offense. I think someone like Brice McCain could get physical with him at the line and take him out of his routes.

Gonna have to put him in the right situation and use him correctly.
pretty much. A player chosen in the first shouldn't be relegated to just a package or 2 in the offense which should make him a no-go for most teams except for those with multiple picks in the 1st and the last 2 teams in the 1st.

For him to be as effective as possible he'd need to be in a spread offense of some sort. and all those offenses already have guys who can do what he does and have proven it on the next level.

GB = Randall Cobb
NO = Darren Sproles
NE = Danny Amendola

Aside from that, i think he could work well with Cam in Carolina, but with them needing a true outside threat in the worst way, i doubt they waste a 1st on him if any one of these top WR prospects is within their reach.

he's a helluva an athlete, but he's just too small to really become a consistent force on an offense.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #39
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not really surprising that he got Ed Reed, Rick was a safety in college and probably idolizes him. Plus he had Andre Johnson helping him recruit, so there's that. In the drafts since Rick got here, we have gone defense in the first round of all of them but the Duane Brown pick. Rick's a defensive guy by nature, and I'm sure that he would love nothing more than to have a team like the 2000 Ravens who relied on excellent defense, and a solid running game. I think it's been pretty obvious that he focuses on the defense more than the offense.

Well so far, Gary is 1 for 6, so I would bet on Wade.
I dunno, tough call... Uncle Bob is still maintaining the old BPA mantra

Quote:
After a franchise-best 12-4 season, the Texans have the 27th overall pick in the 2013 draft. McNair was asked if he expects his team to prioritize drafting a wide receiver.
It depends on what’s available when our pick comes up,” he said. “If we had an outstanding wide receiver who was available at that point in time, I don’t doubt we’d take him. If there was a football player that was a better player that was an inside linebacker than the wide receiver that’s available, we’d take him. We’re going to take the best player that’s available. We got a number of positions where we could use the player, so we’re not limited to just one position looking for that player.”
...and if you don't think Uncle Bob hasn't started flexing his football muscles...
LINK
Quote:
(on what his role is in the draft process)
“Well, my role is to meet with (GM) Rick (Smith) and with (COO) Cal (McNair) and with (Head coach) Gary (Kubiak) and the coaches and go through this analysis and make sure that we’re all thinking clearly and not overlooking something. That we have come to a consensus {translation: They UNDERSTAND what *I* want!} as to what it is that we need to do and where we need to make changes. Then Rick and his people go out and work hard to get all the information on the players out there. And the coaches will work with them to try to get the right player at the right position. It’s a group effort and we’ve got good people in place, and they’re gonna do a great job.”
What's that do to your mocks?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #40
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Not necessarily. I think Austin would be a dynamite weapon for a team like San Francisco. They drafted LaMichael James last year though.

It just depends on how you utilize the guy. Philly would probably take a run at him if they weren't currently rebuilding the entire roster from top to bottom.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read