Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013   #81
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

I like how Ravens Fan says to us:

Quote:
Ed Reed won't matter because he's not a QB and you have QB problems
Yet Ravens Fan doesn't realize that his team losing EIGHT starters (not 2nd stringers, by the way, s-t-a-r-t-e-r-s) and signing Elvis Dumervil doesn't help them cope with the loss of EIGHT starters, most of which were on defense at key positions that are now vacant of talent and veteran leadership.

Personally, even though we have a QB problem, our roster is more talented and more solid and experienced than the Ravens' roster is now. What they lost, eight starters, cannot be made up by the signing of Dumervil. I'd rather have our problems than the Ravens' problems.

Might not win a ring, and frankly that the Ravens lucked their way into a SB title and now there's little trolls acting like they are truly "the best" and how Ed Reed is suddenly garbage and is washed up, makes me laugh. I guess when you win a ring you get to point to it and make fun of others...even when that time is gone and a new season is emerging right around the corner.

That's why I hope the Ravens go on a streak of like 6+ seasons of having a middle-of-the-record record, something like 6-10 or 8-8 so that they don't make the playoffs but they also don't get a high draft pick. And then let's see how much money Flacco is worth. And how it hamstrings what they can do for the next few seasons.

Cyclical. Everything comes around.
Old 03-25-2013   #82
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Yet Ravens Fan doesn't realize that his team losing EIGHT starters (not 2nd stringers, by the way, s-t-a-r-t-e-r-s) and signing Elvis Dumervil doesn't help them cope with the loss of EIGHT starters, most of which were on defense at key positions that are now vacant of talent and veteran leadership.

Personally, even though we have a QB problem, our roster is more talented and more solid and experienced than the Ravens' roster is now. What they lost, eight starters, cannot be made up by the signing of Dumervil. I'd rather have our problems than the Ravens' problems.

Might not win a ring, and frankly that the Ravens lucked their way into a SB title and now there's little trolls acting like they are truly "the best" and how Ed Reed is suddenly garbage and is washed up, makes me laugh. I guess when you win a ring you get to point to it and make fun of others...even when that time is gone and a new season is emerging right around the corner.

That's why I hope the Ravens go on a streak of like 6+ seasons of having a middle-of-the-record record, something like 6-10 or 8-8 so that they don't make the playoffs but they also don't get a high draft pick. And then let's see how much money Flacco is worth. And how it hamstrings what they can do for the next few seasons.

This.

Ravens fans are just butthurt right now, after winning the SB they dismatled the team and know they are going to struggle for the next yrs especially with that huge contract they gave Flacco.

Denver, Patriots and Houston are the top teams, followed by Cincy and Colts. Steelers Ravens are teams of the past.
Old 03-25-2013   #83
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
You took an article that was 80% about Matt Schaubs' shortcomings but you only cared about 2 words in it: Ed and Reed. I read every single post in the Ed Reed thread. Your comments were worth looking into and after doing so I came to my own conclusion that you were extremely distraught about losing one of your favorite players and to compensate you have to accentuate any flaws he may or may not have. While I didn't care whether he came to Houston or not because there were pros and cons to either outcome, he will now be playing for the Texans so your petty little vendetta gets on my nerves. We don't need another Ed Reed thread at this time when we have a perfectly suitable one one thread down already.

As for that awful article. No one thinks that Ed Reed joining the Texans will fix what's wrong with the offense. The fact that the author attempts to make a connection between to the two is sad. He is obviously making his deadline by using a somewhat high profile event to open the door for his opinion on the Texans offense so he can file it away and reference it whenever he gets a chance to say "Look I told you so!" So anytime Ed Reed or Matt Schaub have a bad game or get injured you can look forward to another Clark Judge article so you can come back here and once again push your agenda.

Cheers!
I gotta football game to go play

Pretty much explains handswarmer's thinking process on the Ed Reed signing.
Old 03-25-2013   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Pretty much explains handswarmer's thinking process on the Ed Reed signing.
LOL!
Old 03-25-2013   #85
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Donnie Jones just signed a one year deal with the Eagles because he knows Ed Reed will be a cancer in the Texans locker room. - handwarmer
Old 03-25-2013   #86
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...n-over-the-top

[i]I don't know what there is about the guy (Schaub), but something's missing. I just get the feeling that until or unless Houston finds someone else at quarterback the Texans aren't going farther than an early exit from the playoffs.

And last time I checked Ed Reed didn't play quarterback.
I want to see schaub with 2 good wide outs. All those other guys have 2 deep threats we have Andre then Daniels and dumps to foster. That is the entire passing game for the texans. We need a good #2 WR, I don't know why we didn't go after one in FA.
Old 03-25-2013   #87
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 23098 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

The NFL was a completely different animal in 2012 than it was in 2000. DBs could mug a receiver all the way down the field in 2000 and people called it tough, physical football. Now, a receiver runs over a DB and they throw a flag for defensive pass interference.

There are also a lot more quality QBs now than there were back then.

You don't have to go very deep into the 2000 list before you're talking about journeymen.
For the record, I did not bring up the 2000 defense and Dilfer- someone else did. I merely responded to it.
Old 03-25-2013   #88
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 23098 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Nice! Going to the injury card.

Ok I'll play.

I'll see your Webb and raise you a Cushing.

As far as ray "the Killa" Lewis. Really is not a loss at that time of the year.

That's all the injuries the ratbirds had.

Suggs played 31 plays that game and as you stated had an sack. So he was a positive.

So don't come in here playing the injury card. Y'all got smoked!
The poster I was answering went to the injury card by stating "You were healthy and the game was in Baltimore"

We weren't healthy. Period.

And the game was not in Baltimore.

And I never said we didn't get our asses kicked. It was a butt whupping.
Old 03-25-2013   #89
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Need I bring up Rices 4 th down run against the Chargers that got you into the play offs.

Look congrats to the Ravens they won it all fair and square but Flacco had nothing to do with both of those 2 pivotal plays.

Luck yes. Talent no.
You need to watch more than ESPN
Old 03-25-2013   #90
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dude, you're the quintessential 'crybaby winner' of forum trolls.

A life ... get one.
I hope you realize that I did not write that line- it was in the article?

But whatever, dude- been called worse. You got me. Really you did. The emoticon set me over the edge and I cannot go on....
Old 03-25-2013   #91
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Agreed.

Handswarmer, you've gone too far. Thanks for visiting, and even though you COULD be potentially correct in your assertions and statements, there's a level of dooshery that you've now accomplished.

We get it, your team is smart and our team is dumb. Personally, I hope your team goes 6-10 the next decade.

I had positive rep'd you a few weeks back. But you've turned into a bit of an asshat all of a sudden, particularly since the news that we were interested in Ed Reed began a few weeks ago. I think everyone makes the easy connection here.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Positive Rep is be all end all?

Wow.
Old 03-25-2013   #92
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 14806 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Arrow Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

My take on this. I did not read every reply, so if all of this has already been covered earlier in this thread then my apologies:

I do believe that if Trent Dilfer or Joe Flacco can lead a team to the Super Bowl, than it is definitely possible for Matt Schaub to do so also, but everyone else on the team from the front office all the way down to the waterboy had better be on their A game in order to get it done!

Matt Schaub is a good QB, but he is not a great QB. He can lead the team to a point, but don't expect him to always be the one to do the heavy lifting! Other players (not just blaming a Jacoby Jones or a Kevin Walter) HAVE to step up!!!!

Having said all that, it wasn't all luck that helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl. Teams have to play the game for 60 minutes, and the Broncos and Pats did NOT! The Ravens had the heart and the determination to win it more so than the Broncos or the Patriots did! If we are gonna bring luck into this, a valid point could be made that it was because of bad luck that the Ravens weren't in the Super Bowl last year as well!

It wasn't all skill, though, that got the Ravens in. Things might have been different for the Ravens had they faced the Pats in Foxboro for the divisional playoff game as opposed to the AFC title game. The Pats had more time to prepare for the Texans than they did against the Ravens. The luck of timing probably did play into the Ravens' hands a bit.
Old 03-25-2013   #93
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Positive Rep is be all end all?

Wow.
Back on topic, I can say I understand where you're coming from regarding Reed's diminished athleticism, but I still think for at least next season, it is a net positive for the Texans.
Let me emphasize that I do not believe the Reed acquisition puts the team over the hump to getting a trophy.
I would've been happy if the deal didn't happen, providing that they used the money for a legit improvement, but I still think Reed can bring some positives to the team on and off the field.
I honestly think this acquisition was more about building a culture of winning than anything. Bob wants to emulate a few different franchises, and Baltimore is one of them for good reason.
I think the FO wanted to bring someone into the locker room who has a history of winning, of playing big in big games, and making clutch plays.
The Texans are a talented team, but when the chips were down, they wilted. They seriously withered when the lights were brightest, and Reed has a reputation for doing the exact opposite pretty much, right?
Old 03-25-2013   #94
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:

You don't get it. Now you act like a 13 yr old on a team that has never won anything and you want to put the voodoo curse on a successful team. This is almost laugh out loud stuff.

Not a whole lot of you do get it in this forum. This has to contain some of the more lower information fans I have come across. a lot of you simply do not pay attention to anything outside of your own micro-cosm there in Texan-land.

I met some Texans fans at the playoff game last year in Baltimore; really cool people who understand the game. I asked them about this site and they said they didn't post on any message board. Guess that should have told me.
Old 03-25-2013   #95
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
My take on this. I did not read every reply, so if all of this has already been covered earlier in this thread then my apologies:

I do believe that if Trent Dilfer or Joe Flacco can lead a team to the Super Bowl, than it is definitely possible for Matt Schaub to do so also, but everyone else on the team from the front office all the way down to the waterboy had better be on their A game in order to get it done!

Matt Schaub is a good QB, but he is not a great QB. He can lead the team to a point, but don't expect him to always be the one to do the heavy lifting! Other players (not just blaming a Jacoby Jones or a Kevin Walter) HAVE to step up!!!!

Having said all that, it wasn't all luck that helped the Ravens win the Super Bowl. Teams have to play the game for 60 minutes, and the Broncos and Pats did NOT! The Ravens had the heart and the determination to win it more so than the Broncos or the Patriots did! If we are gonna bring luck into this, a valid point could be made that it was because of bad luck that the Ravens weren't in the Super Bowl last year as well!

It wasn't all skill, though, that got the Ravens in. Things might have been different for the Ravens had they faced the Pats in Foxboro for the divisional playoff game as opposed to the AFC title game. The Pats had more time to prepare for the Texans than they did against the Ravens. The luck of timing probably did play into the Ravens' hands a bit.
I will say this: to compare Schaub to Dilfer as a QB and equate their chances of winning a SB is a worn out cliché- the game has changed.
Old 03-25-2013   #96
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Back on topic, I can say I understand where you're coming from regarding Reed's diminished athleticism, but I still think for at least next season, it is a net positive for the Texans.
Let me emphasize that I do not believe the Reed acquisition puts the team over the hump to getting a trophy.
I would've been happy if the deal didn't happen, providing that they used the money for a legit improvement, but I still think Reed can bring some positives to the team on and off the field.
I honestly think this acquisition was more about building a culture of winning than anything. Bob wants to emulate a few different franchises, and Baltimore is one of them for good reason.
I think the FO wanted to bring someone into the locker room who has a history of winning, of playing big in big games, and making clutch plays.
The Texans are a talented team, but when the chips were down, they wilted. They seriously withered when the lights were brightest, and Reed has a reputation for doing the exact opposite pretty much, right?
All I did was post an article from a national writer- a blog.

I have been saying for the last 3 years around my friends that Ed is declining- I have watched too many times where Ed #1- is running backwards trying to tackle a guy by his shoulder pads or goes for a big hit instead of wrapping up and whiffs and #2- is caught guessing and leaves the CB on an island....

His leaving is nowhere near to personal for me. I root for the team, I do not wear another man's name across my back.
Old 03-25-2013   #97
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Donnie Jones just signed a one year deal with the Eagles because he knows Ed Reed will be a cancer in the Texans locker room. - handwarmer
Now you are writing untruths. You should stop now.
Old 03-25-2013   #98
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the teams that were rumored to try to get Reed with 49ers, Patriots and Colts. We may not go over the top, but we have a better chance with him than without. Every starter for the secondary idolizes him, it is almost like they got a renewed sense of playing in Houston. Andre will look forward to spending days with him, he also will have a resurgence by playing longer with Texans. Don't forget that Barry Sanders and Robert Smith quit their team because of dealing with the SOS. If Reed had stayed with Ravens, he probaly would not play more than 1 season. Here, he will be working with new system, new teammates, importantly gaining new fans. Reed will be energize like an incoming freshman, but with skills and respect. We got better this offseason.
Old 03-25-2013   #99
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I did was post an article from a national writer- a blog.

I have been saying for the last 3 years around my friends that Ed is declining- I have watched too many times where Ed #1- is running backwards trying to tackle a guy by his shoulder pads or goes for a big hit instead of wrapping up and whiffs and #2- is caught guessing and leaves the CB on an island....

His leaving is nowhere near to personal for me. I root for the team, I do not wear another man's name across my back.
That's cool, and I don't debate any of that, but I'm not one of the people questioning your motives. I just wanted to give you my perspective regarding the acquisition, and get your thoughts. Your response didn't really address anything I said, though.
Old 03-25-2013   #100
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 14806 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will say this: to compare Schaub to Dilfer as a QB and equate their chances of winning a SB is a worn out cliché- the game has changed.
Not trying to make a comparison except to say that like Schaub, Dilfer was nothing too special.

Schaub is by no means perfect, but he can help the Texans win the Super Bowl if (yes a big IF) he has the right group of players around him and some luck.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read