Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2013   #121
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have swope. He has a bigger body..Is really quick...has great speed...Runs good routes...Has good hands...Can make people miss in the open field...

Swope can play all the receiver spots....

I really like Tavon as an overall player, but I don't really want to spend a first on him.
I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Personally I'd be pleased if we ended up with either, but I think Austin is going to be a guy you're going to have to devise a game plan around. I think that's worthy of a first.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #122
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Please don't tell me you really believe Swope is a better slot receiver than Austin.
Yes I forgot about Austin,

But Swope is a better fit for the Texans offense than Austin. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #123
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yes I forgot about Austin,

But Swope is a better fit for the Texans offense than Austin. IMHO
The way its currently ran I agree. But I would question Kubiak's offensive guru label though if he couldn't find a way to utilize Austin.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #124
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is swope rated so low?

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Is it because he's white?
Yep

Swopes athletic ability is very uderrated. People just cant believe a big/stocky white WR can run that fast. He's a bigger faster version of Welker. He reminds me of Roddy White/Miles Austin.
Old 03-24-2013   #125
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Personally I'd be pleased if we ended up with either, but I think Austin is going to be a guy you're going to have to devise a game plan around. I think that's worthy of a first.
I don't want the texans to spend a first on him. I didn't say he wasn't worth a first, but I don't believe he fits our offense. I think his best fit would be with a team that runs read option type plays where he could utilize his running ability and there wouldn't be as much emphasis on precise route running.

He'd be able to line up off the line more and get some pee snap movement. You could heavily involve him in the game plan.

If you line him up in a traditional offense he's going to have to beat the press more often and deal with close man coverage. I don't see him being effective in that regard.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #126
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep

Swopes athletic ability is very uderrated. People just cant believe a big/stocky white WR can run that fast. He's a bigger faster version of Welker. He reminds me of Roddy White/Miles Austin.
He went to A&M as a RB . AJ went to Miami as a RB and Miles Austin was a RB .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #127
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is swope rated so low?

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Is it because he's white?
No, nothing to do with color.

One, he doesn't play as fast as he timed.

More importantly, Swope has already been diagnosed with 4 concussions. Teams are much more conscious of concussion history with the league becoming more diligent in testing. No one wants to lose a high pick on another Jahvid Best.

I think he's solidly in the 3rd round.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #128
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It's very important for undersized WR to have great balance, be explosive & flash ability to change direction simultaneously. Austin has that, I feel he would fit just about any offense, Chip Kelly would love to have him & I think Gary Kubiak would as well. Best measure is not really 40 time as much as short shuttle times. Austin ran it 4.01 seconds as did Quinton Patton & Markus Wheaton (both 2nd rd. grades). So if Texans are going to load up with WR's why not use a late round pick 6-7 on a slot guy instead? T.J. Moe, Missouri is a tough buger he ran his short shuttle in 3.96 sec. 5'11" 204 his hands are almost 10" plus he is strong as an ox 26 reps & not afraid whatsoever to cross over the middle. Was Blaine Gabberts top weapon as a sophomore, 92 receptions, 1,045 yards & 6 TD's. I'm not sure how they do it but seems like a better way to address need for a slot receiver. IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #129
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
He went to A&M as a RB . AJ went to Miami as a RB and Miles Austin was a RB .
Huh? AJ was a WR in HS and college. Miles Austin was a WR and DB. Where is this RB stuff coming from?

They were both sprinters.
Old 03-24-2013   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Honestly, I'd rather have swope. He has a bigger body..Is really quick...has great speed...Runs good routes...Has good hands...Can make people miss in the open field...

Swope can play all the receiver spots....

I really like Tavon as an overall player, but I don't really want to spend a first on him.
Would you be upset if the Texans took him in the first?
Old 03-24-2013   #131
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep

Or he may turn out to be a younger version of Walter.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #132
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Would you be upset if the Texans took him in the first?
Swope, or tavon?

I wouldn't be "upset" with either, but I'd rather have Swope and I'm starting to warm up to taking him. Based on what I've seen he seems to be underrated by the mock drafters and talking heads.

Swope seems like an almost perfect match for this offense so I'd actually be pleased with picking him.

I disagree with the not playing to his timed speed stuff. Dude looks damn fast on the field to me.

And he's an a&m guy. You know Gary has looked at this kid pretty closely. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Swope ended up being our first or second round pick. In fact, I might be hoping for that at this point.
Old 03-24-2013   #133
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

so how is Posey doing will he be rdy for week 1 .?????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #134
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
No.

Kubiak said he was a "possibly a middle of the season player." So they're still weighing their options. He'll either be pupped and come back mid-season or he'll be put on IR and miss the whole season.

But I don't think there's any way he's back for week 1.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #135
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
So you can put four question marks in but can't spend the time on an e and a?
Old 03-24-2013   #136
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Or he may turn out to be a younger version of Walter.
Walter has never run a 4.34 40 in his life.

Nor has Walter had the elusiveness in the open field, or ability to break tackles that Swope has. The concussion problems and God'ell is my only concern in picking Swope.
Old 03-24-2013   #137
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So you can put four question marks in but can't spend the time on an e and a?
So that's how you spell ready? LOL
Old 03-25-2013   #138
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Walter has never run a 4.34 40 in his life.

Nor has Walter had the elusiveness in the open field, or ability to break tackles that Swope has. The concussion problems and God'ell is my only concern in picking Swope.

Walter ran a non-slouchy 4.40, though.

You're certainly correct about Walter's ability for yds after catch.

Just happened across this interesting site I've never heard of before. It lists
Yards after the Catch (YAC) - 2012 NFL Season
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #139
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva Mock

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...ncy-mock-draft
Quote:
27. Houston Texans -- Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson

Patterson is a top-ten prospect in terms of upside, but NFL evaluators may envision the JUCO transfer as a raw, boom-or-bust project who must polish up his routes. He's an obvious candidate to be drafted later than expected. Patterson would still be a no-brainer pick for the Texans, who are intent on adding perimeter speed and would use Patterson as a No. 2 wideout, working him in gradually as a short to intermediate threat opposite Andre Johnson. Patterson shouldn't take long to establish himself as a winner versus single coverage and post-catch tackle breaker.
Old 03-25-2013   #140
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The wr prospects in this draft are ridiculous. There are a lot of guys that could be good to really good players. I almost want to trade down and take two of them....

Unless a guy like this is there...Patterson is beastly...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read