Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013   #41
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

Top=time of possession
Old 03-24-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I don't know what TOP means. Is is it some statistic?

I am merely commenting on what I see with own eyes and using my brain to figure out what is going on.

Against Green Bay in the first half, the offense couldn't get a drive going and therefore fell behind quickly because Rogers got hot quickly. Essentially, the same thing happened against the Patriots in the regular season matchup.

Then in the playoffs, the Texans get a great kickoff return and the offense cannot punch it in for a touchdown. I didn't watch the second half of the Patriots playoff game because I was tired of seeing the same thing repeatedly occurring.

Maybe there are statistics, like the TOP you are referring to, that demonstrate that the Texans offense is more productive than what I can explain with my own words. But the key is being the most productive when it counts the most.

The truth is, the Texans offense struggles when it matters the most and I don't think any statistic can capture that.
Truth is a lot of high-powered offense struggled when it mattered the most: usually when they lost the SB. Heck some even struggled in a SB win as well.
Old 03-24-2013   #43
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with a forum troll. For one thing he will always have to have the last word, and for another we already know what he's all about. His posts are going to be 80% tearing down Ed Reed like a vindictive ex-girlfriend who was scorned 10% defending Joe Flacco's contract, and 10% insulting Matt Schaub. C'est la vie
Old 03-24-2013   #44
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Lessor QBs than Schaub have won a Super Bowl, but they certainly weren't the MVP. We can win a Super Bowl with Schaub, but a lot of other pieces have to fit together for it to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Thread would of had a lot more credibilty had it not been started by a Ravens fan. I saw this article a few days ago, but i dont buy it.

Although Schaub is a weak link, you should know that Teams can win the Superbowl with a So So QB. Hence Trent Dilfer and yalls 2000 title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
If Dilfer can win a super bowl. So can Schaub.

Granted the Ravens defense was historically good that year
It just utterly boggles my mind how people keep referring to Trent Dilfer when making arguments about how Matt Schaub is good enough to win the superbowl.

TRENT DILFER IS THE EXCEPTION NOT THE RULE!!!!!!

My god, what do you think gives you a better chance of winning the superbowl?

A Trent Dilfer level qb or a Brady,Peyton, Rogers, Brees level qb? How about the next tier of elite qbs like Big Ben, Eli, Flacco, Romo type of qbs? Schaub IMO is after that second tier. Above average to average.

Is the degree of difficulty harder to win the superbowl with an average qb or elite and above?

Stop referring to Trent Dilfer. That is a sorry argument. That is not the norm. What I dont like from the front office and more importantly from the fanbase is YOU DONT EVEN WANT TO TRY TO LOOK FOR A BETTER QB OPTION.

You guys act all content and act like its so hard to find someone better than schaub. At least start looking and not wait until schaub eventually sucks it up again or gets injured.

With schaub as your qb, you have to have everything almost perfect to compensate for your qb play. You have to have perfect oline, have to have a running game, you have to have defense, you have to have everything. With an elite superstar qb, you dont have to have everything perfect. A great qb can hide some of your weaknesses.

What do you think is easier to accomplish?

Getting a great qb or getting everything else perfect to support your weak link qb?
Old 03-24-2013   #45
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny thing is, handswarmer, your negative commentary/view on Ed Reed (the current version) is akin to what ours is/was on Jacoby Jones. We watched him 50/50 it here and fail to step up when given the chance for a number of years. You have got to watch Reed under perform the past few years, comparatively speaking from his previous astronomically good years. Perhaps Reed does come to Houston and does make difference, and that his tank is not on empty or perhaps it is. We won't know until the season ends. I do not think you will find many that will say that the addition of Reed means a Superbowl for Houston. Schaub cratered the back end of the season last year, we all know he needs to improve if the Texans have any chance of making it to the Superbowl. Not sure if your trying to play the antagonist by posting articles such as this or not. Honestly I wish that the Texans would have held on to Quin, but am not sad that they were able to obtain Reed.
Old 03-24-2013   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jules, it's not that cut-and-dry, man.
You assume too much.

We can go over the history of the SB and you would see that it's far from the "normalcy" you think it's been.

Schaub's performance in the game against the Pats has a decent chance of winning a SB game. Many QBs who won the SB didn't make a name for himself until he won a SB. Many big-time QBs didn't play well. Some relied on the run game; some relied on the defense; some both.
Old 03-24-2013   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
It just utterly boggles my mind how people keep referring to Trent Dilfer when making arguments about how Matt Schaub is good enough to win the superbowl.

A Trent Dilfer level qb or a Brady,Peyton, Rogers, Brees level qb? How about the next tier of elite qbs like Big Ben, Eli, Flacco, Romo type of qbs? Schaub IMO is after that second tier. Above average to average.

Is the degree of difficulty harder to win the superbowl with an average qb or elite and above?

Stop referring to Trent Dilfer. That is a sorry argument. That is not the norm. What I dont like from the front office and more importantly from the fanbase is YOU DONT EVEN WANT TO TRY TO LOOK FOR A BETTER QB OPTION.

You guys act all content and act like its so hard to find someone better than schaub. At least start looking and not wait until schaub eventually sucks it up again or gets injured.

With schaub as your qb, you have to have everything almost perfect to compensate for your qb play. You have to have perfect oline, have to have a running game, you have to have defense, you have to have everything. With an elite superstar qb, you dont have to have everything perfect. A great qb can hide some of your weaknesses.

Getting a great qb or getting everything else perfect to support your weak link qb?
Well if there was a franchise QB , then that...but there isn't so you build around what you have.

Also I guess you conveniently missed the part where I mentioned the Texans just need Schaub to game manage as did the Ravens with Dilfer or even RS Flacco (regular season)
But keep the Schaub hate going, because there isn't going to be a franchise worthy QB late I the first round or in the Texans reach
Old 03-24-2013   #48
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

After reading a lot of your posts, how you got that many rep points rather boggles my mind.
Old 03-24-2013   #49
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care how good your QB is, if all he has to throw to is AJ and a one horse running game in Foster, he isn't going to be a whole let better than Schaub. Yes, we do need a better QB than Schaub, but we also need another WR or two and a few more pieces to the line. And Tate to do his damn job.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 03-24-2013   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
After reading a lot of your posts, how you got that many rep points rather boggles my mind.
And he re-registered from a different account that had even less.
Old 03-24-2013   #51
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Really> Healthy? That's about as an accurate statement as you saying the game was in Baltimore. Didn't know Reliant Stadium was this far north....

'The Ravens (5-2), meanwhile, missed star linebacker Ray Lewis, who was placed on injured reserve this week with a torn triceps. Terrell Suggs, last year's defensive player of the year, saw his first action since undergoing surgery on his right Achilles tendon last May. Suggs sacked Schaub in the first quarter and finished with three solo tackles.

Otherwise, Baltimore's defense seemed overmatched without Lewis and cornerback Lardarius Webb, who were placed on injured reserve this week. Safety Ed Reed, who acknowledged this week that he's been playing with a torn labrum in his right shoulder, left in the fourth quarter with a chest injury. Reed said he felt fine after the game."

Healthy.....
Nice! Going to the injury card.

Ok I'll play.

I'll see your Webb and raise you a Cushing.

As far as ray "the Killa" Lewis. Really is not a loss at that time of the year.

That's all the injuries the ratbirds had.

Suggs played 31 plays that game and as you stated had an sack. So he was a positive.

So don't come in here playing the injury card. Y'all got smoked!
Old 03-24-2013   #52
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Nice! Going to the injury card.

Ok I'll play.

I'll see your Webb and raise you a Cushing.

As far as ray "the Killa" Lewis. Really is not a loss at that time of the year.

That's all the injuries the ratbirds had.

Suggs played 31 plays that game and as you stated had an sack. So he was a positive.

So don't come in here playing the injury card. Y'all got smoked!
They wouldnt accept they beat us last year just cause we had a 3rd string QB. And still barley won. No talking to them either way we are wrong haha
Old 03-24-2013   #53
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...n-over-the-top

I don't know what there is about the guy (Schaub), but something's missing. I just get the feeling that until or unless Houston finds someone else at quarterback the Texans aren't going farther than an early exit from the playoffs.

And last time I checked Ed Reed didn't play quarterback.

Schaub just can't make the plays that, say, Joe Flacco did last year or Eli Manning did the year before that. Both were Super Bowl MVPs, and check the list, people: The last four Super Bowl MVPs have been quarterbacks. That's because they're the guys who make the difference; not safeties, and especially not 35-year-old safeties nearing the finish line.

Ed Reed was a difference maker once; he's not a difference maker now. Houston is about to find out.
Your right Schaub is not lucky enough to have a Denver safety go brain dead and let Jacoby go Lynn swann on the Broncos.

Oh but that was all Flacco. Lol
Old 03-24-2013   #54
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Need I bring up Rices 4 th down run against the Chargers that got you into the play offs.

Look congrats to the Ravens they won it all fair and square but Flacco had nothing to do with both of those 2 pivotal plays.

Luck yes. Talent no.
Old 03-24-2013   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And last time I checked Ed Reed didn't play quarterback...
Dude, you're the quintessential 'crybaby winner' of forum trolls.

A life ... get one.
Old 03-24-2013   #56
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

ummm... every QB you have listed, with the exception of Flacco, won the same number of playoff games or fewer - if they even MADE the PLAYOFFS - as Matt Schaub. If they're so fabulous, why didn't they do better in the playoffs??

And, although it bugs most people around here to say it out loud, Flacco wouldn't have his ring if not for Jacoby Jones. The Ravens won the Super Bowl by 3 pts. Once the SF defense woke up, they shut Flacco & co down, holding them to 6 pts in the second half. Had Jacoby not run back that KO for a TD, they would have lost.

Did I mention Jacoby took an underthrown ball - that he had to fall down to catch - and turned it into a TD? They should have split the MVP between Boldin and Jones. Flacco had no business being MVP of that game.

There, I said it.
Old 03-24-2013   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
Need I bring up Rices 4 th down run against the Chargers that got you into the play offs.
A play call which a lot of fans around here would have called idiotic...except it worked.
Old 03-24-2013   #58
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

The OP sounds like an ex-boyfriend that is bitter that his girlfriend broke up with him, and runs around running her name down.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
Old 03-24-2013   #59
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A play call which a lot of fans around here would have called idiotic...except it worked.
Rather be lucky than good. Signed Joe Flacco.
Old 03-24-2013   #60
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

It's funny that we as Texans fans know that Schaub is limited in his abilities and a national story comes out and a ratbirds fan comes in here to regergitate it. Really? And water is wet.

It is what it is. Gotta roll with what we got.

So hand in pants or author of the article. what should have the Texans have done? Not signed old man Reed and gone out and picked up a QB in FA better than Schaub?

Or draft a rookie QB better than Schaub?

Dude the Texans are fallowing the book written by the Ravens circa 2000. Build a defense that hides the deficiencies of the offense.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read