Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013   #1
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...n-over-the-top

I don't know what there is about the guy (Schaub), but something's missing. I just get the feeling that until or unless Houston finds someone else at quarterback the Texans aren't going farther than an early exit from the playoffs.

And last time I checked Ed Reed didn't play quarterback.

Schaub just can't make the plays that, say, Joe Flacco did last year or Eli Manning did the year before that. Both were Super Bowl MVPs, and check the list, people: The last four Super Bowl MVPs have been quarterbacks. That's because they're the guys who make the difference; not safeties, and especially not 35-year-old safeties nearing the finish line.

Ed Reed was a difference maker once; he's not a difference maker now. Houston is about to find out.
Old 03-24-2013   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: There's a reason Ed Reed won't put Houston over the top

You spend more time here than on your own board. You've spent 473 posts pushing your anti-Ed-Reed-to-another-team agenda. We get it. Go away. We also know Matt Schaubs limitations, waaaaayyyy better than you do. Leave our mediocre QB alone and go back to your overpayed but good QB.
Old 03-24-2013   #3
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is a good, not great, but good QB. Would I like a better QB? Of course, who wouldn't. But I don't think it was Schaub who gave up 40+ points to Rodgers and Brady last year.
Old 03-24-2013   #4
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
You spend more time here than on your own board. You've spent 473 posts pushing your anti-Ed-Reed-to-another-team agenda. We get it. Go away. We also know Matt Schaubs limitations, waaaaayyyy better than you do. Leave our mediocre QB alone and go back to your overpayed but good QB.
Save it bud- I've got over 15,000 posts on a KC board, over 10,000 on a Ravens board.

I go where I want; Land of the Free and all....
Old 03-24-2013   #5
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Schaub is a good, not great, but good QB. Would I like a better QB? Of course, who wouldn't. But I don't think it was Schaub who gave up 40+ points to Rodgers and Brady last year.
But Schaub couldn't get them back in the game either.
Old 03-24-2013   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

You took an article that was 80% about Matt Schaubs' shortcomings but you only cared about 2 words in it: Ed and Reed. I read every single post in the Ed Reed thread. Your comments were worth looking into and after doing so I came to my own conclusion that you were extremely distraught about losing one of your favorite players and to compensate you have to accentuate any flaws he may or may not have. While I didn't care whether he came to Houston or not because there were pros and cons to either outcome, he will now be playing for the Texans so your petty little vendetta gets on my nerves. We don't need another Ed Reed thread at this time when we have a perfectly suitable one one thread down already.

As for that awful article. No one thinks that Ed Reed joining the Texans will fix what's wrong with the offense. The fact that the author attempts to make a connection between to the two is sad. He is obviously making his deadline by using a somewhat high profile event to open the door for his opinion on the Texans offense so he can file it away and reference it whenever he gets a chance to say "Look I told you so!" So anytime Ed Reed or Matt Schaub have a bad game or get injured you can look forward to another Clark Judge article so you can come back here and once again push your agenda.

Cheers!
I gotta football game to go play
Old 03-24-2013   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Texans and Ravens both scored 28 points against the Patriots.

If the Raven's defense gave up a fortyburger, nobody gives a crap about Joe Flacco today unless they're making articles about how he can't get it done because something is missing.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2013   #8
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, the expectation out of your QB/offense is to score 45+ points to win? That's completely unrealistic unless you do have a Rodgers or a Brady as your QB. Schaub was doing just fine for the first 2/3ds of last season, and then regressed terribly. We'll just have to see what happens next season. They can't just go and find a HOF QB on the street. They have to work with the one they have. But they did go and find a HOF safety, which they believe makes their team better. That article makes very little sense, comparing apples to oranges and offering no solutions. Lazy writing if you ask me.
Old 03-24-2013   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Lessor QBs than Schaub have won a Super Bowl, but they certainly weren't the MVP. We can win a Super Bowl with Schaub, but a lot of other pieces have to fit together for it to happen.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 03-24-2013   #10
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Week 7

People forget how well Schaub did. I think Schaub is a top five QB. Our O - line went to crap.

Passing Leaders
BAL C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
Flacco 21/43 147 3.4 1 2 4-26
HOU C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
Schaub 23/37 256 6.9 2 0 2-17

This is with the ravens defense healthy and the game was at Baltimore
Old 03-24-2013   #11
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Texans and Ravens both scored 28 points against the Patriots.

If the Raven's defense gave up a fortyburger, nobody gives a crap about Joe Flacco today unless they're making articles about how he can't get it done because something is missing.
Ding ding ding! Winner! Thanks for great responses.
Old 03-24-2013   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
If the offense maintains long sustaining drives and scores touchdowns, that makes the job of the defense easier.

The NFL has organized its rules to bring about high scoring games and protecting the QB, that is a fact. Therefore, any offense better perform well in order to limit the opportunities that an opposing marquee QB has in any game.

The main issue I saw regarding the games against the Patriots and the Packers was a poorly designed and conservative offensive game plan that relied on the defense to keep those games low scoring.

In my opinion, the Texans would get more wins with Kubiak being more creative and utilizing the pieces he has more effectively than expecting the defense to keep the scoring of games in the low teens.
Old 03-24-2013   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...n-over-the-top

I don't know what there is about the guy (Schaub), but something's missing. I just get the feeling that until or unless Houston finds someone else at quarterback the Texans aren't going farther than an early exit from the playoffs.

And last time I checked Ed Reed didn't play quarterback.

Schaub just can't make the plays that, say, Joe Flacco did last year or Eli Manning did the year before that. Both were Super Bowl MVPs, and check the list, people: The last four Super Bowl MVPs have been quarterbacks. That's because they're the guys who make the difference; not safeties, and especially not 35-year-old safeties nearing the finish line.

Ed Reed was a difference maker once; he's not a difference maker now. Houston is about to find out.
Thread would of had a lot more credibilty had it not been started by a Ravens fan. I saw this article a few days ago, but i dont buy it.

Although Schaub is a weak link, you should know that Teams can win the Superbowl with a So So QB. Hence Trent Dilfer and yalls 2000 title.
Old 03-24-2013   #14
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
You took an article that was 80% about Matt Schaubs' shortcomings but you only cared about 2 words in it: Ed and Reed. I read every single post in the Ed Reed thread. Your comments were worth looking into and after doing so I came to my own conclusion that you were extremely distraught about losing one of your favorite players and to compensate you have to accentuate any flaws he may or may not have. While I didn't care whether he came to Houston or not because there were pros and cons to either outcome, he will now be playing for the Texans so your petty little vendetta gets on my nerves. We don't need another Ed Reed thread at this time when we have a perfectly suitable one one thread down already.

As for that awful article. No one thinks that Ed Reed joining the Texans will fix what's wrong with the offense. The fact that the author attempts to make a connection between to the two is sad. He is obviously making his deadline by using a somewhat high profile event to open the door for his opinion on the Texans offense so he can file it away and reference it whenever he gets a chance to say "Look I told you so!" So anytime Ed Reed or Matt Schaub have a bad game or get injured you can look forward to another Clark Judge article so you can come back here and once again push your agenda.

Cheers!
I gotta football game to go play
Hey, they have medication for that itch you have whenever you read one of my posts.
Old 03-24-2013   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

this. matt schaub certainly has his shortcomings, but it wasn't schaub that couldnt keep pace with the patriots and packers - it was our defense. most notably on defense was the lack of a roaming (and reliable) centerfielder to make quarterbacks second guess that deep ball. the same position also takes a lot of blame for the colts loss. cushing and ed reed against the patriots means possible advancement more than a minor upgrade at quarterback would.
Old 03-24-2013   #16
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouSportsWriter View Post
Week 7

People forget how well Schaub did. I think Schaub is a top five QB. Our O - line went to crap.

Passing Leaders
BAL C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
Flacco 21/43 147 3.4 1 2 4-26
HOU C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS
Schaub 23/37 256 6.9 2 0 2-17

This is with the ravens defense healthy and the game was at Baltimore
Really> Healthy? That's about as an accurate statement as you saying the game was in Baltimore. Didn't know Reliant Stadium was this far north....

'The Ravens (5-2), meanwhile, missed star linebacker Ray Lewis, who was placed on injured reserve this week with a torn triceps. Terrell Suggs, last year's defensive player of the year, saw his first action since undergoing surgery on his right Achilles tendon last May. Suggs sacked Schaub in the first quarter and finished with three solo tackles.

Otherwise, Baltimore's defense seemed overmatched without Lewis and cornerback Lardarius Webb, who were placed on injured reserve this week. Safety Ed Reed, who acknowledged this week that he's been playing with a torn labrum in his right shoulder, left in the fourth quarter with a chest injury. Reed said he felt fine after the game."

Healthy.....
Old 03-24-2013   #17
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Thread would of had a lot more credibilty had it not been started by a Ravens fan. I saw this article a few days ago, but i dont buy it.

Although Schaub is a weak link, you should know that Teams can win the Superbowl with a So So QB. Hence Trent Dilfer and yalls 2000 title.
Credibility based on a fans allegiance? LOL Sure.

Your defense is no where in the same solar system as the Ravens of 2000- so you can forget about that approach.

Wait, the Bears tried that with Rex Grossman a few years ago and you see how that worked out for them....
Old 03-24-2013   #18
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
If the offense maintains long sustaining drives and scores touchdowns, that makes the job of the defense easier.

The NFL has organized its rules to bring about high scoring games and protecting the QB, that is a fact. Therefore, any offense better perform well in order to limit the opportunities that an opposing marquee QB has in any game.

The main issue I saw regarding the games against the Patriots and the Packers was a poorly designed and conservative offensive game plan that relied on the defense to keep those games low scoring.

In my opinion, the Texans would get more wins with Kubiak being more creative and utilizing the pieces he has more effectively than expecting the defense to keep the scoring of games in the low teens.
This.

Kubiak wore out the defense by calling conservative plays that led to consistent 3 and outs.
Old 03-24-2013   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Lessor QBs than Schaub have won a Super Bowl, but they certainly weren't the MVP. We can win a Super Bowl with Schaub, but a lot of other pieces have to fit together for it to happen.
Putting Schaub aside I don't think lots of QB's should have gotten all those MVP's. Boldin was clearly the MVP IMO for instance. You could even make an argument for Jacoby (that hurt to type).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
The Texans O had a better TOP than the Ravens O to get the same number of points. You're just making excuses for the D with good sounding generalizations.
Old 03-24-2013   #20
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed may not put the Texans over the top, but we know with certainty that he won't be puting the Ravens over the top anymore either.

That article is awful. We are all fully aware that Reed doesn't improve us at the QB position.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read