Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2013   #141
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
My question was, what can we get for him in a trader?
I believe you still incur some cap penalty if you trade him .... I dont think you have an option to cut Ninja , restructuring is a much better option.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #142
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I believe you still incur some cap penalty if you trade him .... I dont think you have an option to cut Ninja , restructuring is a much better option.
One of the few guys who'll make an impact every week.

I love that guy, hope he's a Texan for a few more years.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #143
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to lose Antonio Smith. He's a hoss. I don't want to cut him, I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't mind restructuring his contract, however.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #144
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't want to lose Antonio Smith. He's a hoss. I don't want to cut him, I don't want to trade him. I wouldn't mind restructuring his contract, however.
My sentiments exactly. I'd like for the Texans to restructure and extend Antonio another 2 yrs. but in such a way as to make him a lower salary cap hit. He's very important to our D-line.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #145
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
My sentiments exactly. I'd like for the Texans to restructure and extend Antonio another 2 yrs. but in such a way as to make him a lower salary cap hit. He's very important to our D-line.
Make that three of us. Not a fan of trading/cutting a quality player for the unknown. Restructuring, however, probably will make sense.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #146
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

hopefully we restructured aj and we will restructure a.smith.
then maybe sign larry grant to ILB. im pretty sure his still available
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #147
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yes, there will be a $3.5M cap hit, but you still save $6M you can use to get other players. If Rick Smith/Greg Olsen can work their magic & get Urlacher & Winston for that $6M, would it be worth it if we also picked up a 2nd or a high Third in the trade?

I think Antonio finally started earning his keep in the last two years. Back to back career years for him. Excellent production from a 3-4 DE, you couldn't ask for more, unless you've got Jj Watt playing like a 4-3 DE in a 3-4.

But this is about tomorrow, the 2013 season. I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.

But just saying, a 2nd (or high 3rd), plus two veteran players for Antonio, it's tempting.
Old 03-24-2013   #148
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes, there will be a $3.5M cap hit, but you still save $6M you can use to get other players. If Rick Smith/Greg Olsen can work their magic & get Urlacher & Winston for that $6M, would it be worth it if we also picked up a 2nd or a high Third in the trade?

I think Antonio finally started earning his keep in the last two years. Back to back career years for him. Excellent production from a 3-4 DE, you couldn't ask for more, unless you've got Jj Watt playing like a 4-3 DE in a 3-4.

But this is about tomorrow, the 2013 season. I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.

But just saying, a 2nd (or high 3rd), plus two veteran players for Antonio, it's tempting.
My solution is to keep Antonio and maybe drafting this guy who can play both the NG and DE . The question is when do you draft him . I would go with a WR in the 1st and wouldn't trade up for him either , so that's about a 15% chance he'll be there .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=DT
Old 03-24-2013   #149
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I have no doubt the Ninja will put out his best effort. If Jj continues to do what he do, Antonio will probably have another very productive season. I'm not advocating that we cut him. A restructure would make more sense; it frees up some money & you'll have him locked up for the next 3-4 years, where I think our window is.
I just want to point out the difference between a restructured contract and an extension. A restructure is taking an existing contract, and manuevering the $$$ around to alter the cap hit in that year. That's what they did with Smith in 2011 when the Texans created cap space to sign Joseph and Manning. An extension is replacing an existing contract with a longer term deal, while still being liable for whatever bonus allocation remains on the existing contract.

Smith is in the final year of his contract. So the only restructuring that could take place would be if he were to accept a salary reduction for his current $6 million. Fat chance. An extension would allow the Texans to reduce Smith's $6 million salary, and replace it with a larger signing bonus that could be amortized over the length of the new contract.

What would it take for Smith to sign an extension in 2013? He's currently looking at $6 million in salary. A bonus of $7.5 million in a 3 year deal, would give Antonio a $2.44 million raise ($7.5 million bonus + $940k vet minimum - ($6 million salary)). It would reduce the 2013 cap hit on Smith by a little more than $2.5 million. Which might be enough space for the Texans to fill a couple holes with low end vet contracts.

Extending Smith would be a tough call, because it would make him a tough cut in 2014. The question is, what are the Texans willing to do to win in 2013? Really, I don't see a lot of alternatives.
Old 03-24-2013   #150
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1758 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Re-sign Dobbins
Old 03-24-2013   #151
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Free Agent WRs per RotoWorld
not much high quality left to choose from

Dwayne Bowe (Signed five-year, $56M deal with KC)
Mike Wallace (Signed five-year, $60M deal with MIA)
Greg Jennings (Signed five-year, $47.5M deal with MIN)
Wes Welker (Signed two-year, $12M deal with DEN)
Danny Amendola (Signed five-year, $27.7M deal with NE)
Brian Hartline (Signed five-year, $30.775M deal with MIA)
Brandon Lloyd
Julian Edelman
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Laurent Robinson
Donnie Avery (Signed three-year, $8.55M deal with KC)
Jerome Simpson (Signed one-year, $2.1M deal with MIN)
Kevin Ogletree (Signed two-year, $2.6M deal with TB)
Randy Moss
Braylon Edwards
Austin Collie
Donald Jones (Signed three-year, $4.155M deal with NE)
Josh Cribbs
Domenik Hixon
Ramses Barden
Jabar Gaffney
Brandon Stokley
Brandon Gibson (Signed three-year, $9.755M deal with MIA)
Steve Breaston
Titus Young
Mohamed Massaquoi
David Nelson
Kevin Walter
Mark Clayton
Donte' Stallworth
Brandon Tate
Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #152
TXAg14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respectedTXAg14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Off of that list, Give me, one of these guys should be available for the vet min

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie
I like Collie, but the dude is Mr. Concussion. I think he gets an automatic concussion just from putting his helmet on every game.
TXAg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #153
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I want the Texans to take Justin Hunter in the 1st . In the 2nd a NG or RT in the 3rd the one you didn't pick and an ILB unless a safety is there .

A guy like Nelson is just for depth .
This would be my draft plan.

The Texans needs should fall in line with BPA. The draft is deep at WR,NT,S,RT, ILB/OLB
Old 03-24-2013   #154
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAg14 View Post
I like Collie, but the dude is Mr. Concussion. I think he gets an automatic concussion just from putting his helmet on every game.
Yep,

But if Hunter were drafted and you got 10-12 games out of Collie, plus drafted another WR late the WR corps would be solidified.

AJ/Hunter with Collie in the slot would give the Texans the best WR corps they'had since their inception.
Old 03-24-2013   #155
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Counting on Crick and Mitchell to play the NT the whole season?! Yikes! Good luck stopping the run up the middle. Texans absolutely need to find someone better than these two either through the FA or draft.
Old 03-24-2013   #156
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I just want to point out the difference between a restructured contract and an extension. A restructure is taking an existing contract, and manuevering the $$$ around to alter the cap hit in that year. That's what they did with Smith in 2011 when the Texans created cap space to sign Joseph and Manning. An extension is replacing an existing contract with a longer term deal, while still being liable for whatever bonus allocation remains on the existing contract.

Smith is in the final year of his contract. So the only restructuring that could take place would be if he were to accept a salary reduction for his current $6 million. Fat chance. An extension would allow the Texans to reduce Smith's $6 million salary, and replace it with a larger signing bonus that could be amortized over the length of the new contract.

What would it take for Smith to sign an extension in 2013? He's currently looking at $6 million in salary. A bonus of $7.5 million in a 3 year deal, would give Antonio a $2.44 million raise ($7.5 million bonus + $940k vet minimum - ($6 million salary)). It would reduce the 2013 cap hit on Smith by a little more than $2.5 million. Which might be enough space for the Texans to fill a couple holes with low end vet contracts.

Extending Smith would be a tough call, because it would make him a tough cut in 2014. The question is, what are the Texans willing to do to win in 2013? Really, I don't see a lot of alternatives.
Good point. Then I wouldn't mind extending him. I don't see him being cut in 2014.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #157
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

1. Heyward-Bey
2. Hixon
3.Laurent Robinson
4. Edelmann
5. Ramses-Barden
6. Collie
collie is definitely worth a look . . . teams will shy away because of the concussions, but the way the game is played today, they can't hit him anymore anyway . . . he's cleared to play and wants to play . . . could be a steal even on a 1 yr deal.

i think hixon is solid . . . i'd also give bey, edwards, robinson, breaston and barden a tryout.
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #158
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good point. Then I wouldn't mind extending him. I don't see him being cut in 2014.
yep . . . can't see a cut at all.
Old 03-24-2013   #159
bobbeaux
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Counting on Crick and Mitchell to play the NT the whole season?! Yikes! Good luck stopping the run up the middle. Texans absolutely need to find someone better than these two either through the FA or draft.
i believe they can find a solid rotation player to platoon with mitchell w/ 1 of our 3rd's . . . crick should stay in the de rotation.
Old 03-24-2013   #160
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hixon has a track record of injury: 2 ACL, a hamstring, a high- ankle sprain, at least one concussion that I know of.

Big question mark for me.

Add that to the fact the Giants kept drafting receivers (3rd and 2nd rd the last two years), I think it's best to look for another option.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read