Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013   #2001
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think the coaching staff wasn't all that thrilled with Quin's development. I think that Wade and Vance sat down with Rick and said, "Hey, listen. Quin's been fine so far but we can do better. Why don't we upgrade the position in the short term by getting a more ball-hawking vet and then draft that guy's replacement for the long term, letting they rook learn from a great."

Sure, we could have had Quin signed and on the team for several years but that's not a "fix". That's a "more of the same."
Correct line of thinking but from the wrong source. This McNair quote tells me he might - MIGHT - just have been the man who put this "Go get Ed Reed" move into motion.
Quote:
As a young team, we had very few veterans for obvious reasons. Now we’re developing those ourselves and then to have the opportunity to bring in somebody like Ed Reed, who has tremendous leadership ability and also bringing a dimension of being a great ball hawk which we have not had. We’ve had some great DBs that are really strong hitters. We haven’t had that guy who is our center fielder though, who can cover all the ground and go after the ball. Ed Reed does that. That’s a dimension that really adds something to our team. It strengthens us greatly. We play the best quarterbacks this year. We’re going to be going up against Manning. We’ll be going up against Brady. We’ll be going up against all these guys and to do that, they’re going to be throwing the ball and we have to be prepared to defend it and go after the ball and get it. It’s ours, isn’t it Ed? That’s his attitude. The ball is in the air, it’s mine. I love it. He’s a solid guy and he’ll be able to help our younger players and strengthen our defense at the same time. Ed, we’re delighted to have you with us.”
I think Uncle Bob stepped in once again.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #2002
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We will need to get another ILB with good run stop and some cover skills and finally a big mean ass 2-gap NT to allow Manning to play back in a more natural position......a situation that would make a QB think even more before he let's a ball go.
True...... that could work too. & if that's the direction Wade wanted to go with his defense, then I can see how they would value Quin less.
Old 03-23-2013   #2003
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quote:
We haven’t had that guy who is our center fielder though, who can cover all the ground and go after the ball. Ed Reed does that. That’s a dimension that really adds something to our team. It strengthens us greatly. We play the best quarterbacks this year. We’re going to be going up against Manning. We’ll be going up against Brady. We’ll be going up against all these guys and to do that, they’re going to be throwing the ball and we have to be prepared to defend it and go after the ball and get it. It’s ours, isn’t it Ed? That’s his attitude. The ball is in the air, it’s mine. I love it. He’s a solid guy and he’ll be able to help our younger players and strengthen our defense at the same time. Ed, we’re delighted to have you with us.”
I think Uncle Bob stepped in once again.
I was kinda thinking along the same lines. Reed told Aj, "Get me to Houston" Aj told coach, Kubiak & Rick had a big laugh about it. Wade walked in, he laughed as well.

Bob walked in, Wade trying to keep a straight face let Bob in on the joke.

He started "three stooging" them & got their minds right.
Old 03-23-2013   #2004
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
My whole point is that playing in the NFL is voluntary employment. If the guys are scared of getting hurt then they need to go get regular jobs making what we make. I know a lot of people who have already lost interest in the NFL over how powder puff it has become. They will only begin to lose more and more fans. And they will either have to go back old school or watch the game disappear.

At my job you have to sign a contract just to work here, stating that if you are hurt on the job or have and long term injuries after employment because of work assignments that the company is not liable. NFL implement the same thing and we can go back to some hard hitting.
That contract you had to sign is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on. I realize after all the TORT reform the enumeration isn't what it used to be but rest assured if anyone who signed that contact gets injured through no fault of his own a good personal injury attorney will shred that document in court.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2005
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

An interesting take on Reed, and some interesting facts about and statements by Reed worth reading .
Quote:

Reed more at risk than are the Texans

By Buck Harvey
Updated 11:29 pm, Saturday, March 23, 2013
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2006
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This isn't about Andre getting in the ear of the front office, TK.

Geez Louise, what are you smoking tonight???

I mean, is it possible that the following happening (rather than AJ telling the front office there's this guy named Ed Reed they need to look at):

1. Glover Quin was due a BIG FAT ASS RAISE by somebody, anybody. He got one. Not form us, though. Because the FO knew what was going to happen...some team flush with a bazillion in cap space was going to take a run at one of Wade Phillips' young safeties who has a lot of tread on the tires.

2. While the run-up to free agency is occurring, the front office decides to skip the effort to re-sign Quin...and well, hmmm....WHAT IF we went after Ed Reed since we all know (since we in the front office are connected to the NFL world more than fans are) that the Ravens are going to have a fire sale once Flacco's contract hits the news. Hmmm....that just might be a good temporary fix, let's go talk to Gary and Wade about. And we'll keep Bob in the loop on this, too.

3. OK, so we're all on board with wooing Ed Reed to Houston. Sure, other teams are not making a run at him. But then again, we don't have a free safety anymore and we can draft one for the next two years and hopefully get him going for us OR find another one in FA the next two years. Send the jet, oh and by the way.......

4. ...Someone make sure Andre Johnson is staying in close contact with him. Let's leverage that relationship.

I mean, TK, come on man...you really think Ed Reed is here because he's been popping into Rick Smith's office or email inbox...letting them know we should get Ed Reed?

I'm pretty sure they knew AJ and Ed have had that relationship. Pretty sure they didn't need AJ making a sales job to the FO in order to put Ed on the radar.

The planets aligned in a way that got Ed Reed here, and AJ played a cursory role in it. Period.
Other than the part about Flacco's contract causing a fire sale in Baltimore, this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.

Ed showed his loyalty to Baltimore by chasing the money which wasn't even there. 1 team showed interest in Ed- the Texans. He made double last year than what he will get this year. And the ravens paid him every cent of his 6 yr $46million dollar contract- yet he felt 'disrespected' last year.

I for one am glad we Ravens fans don't have to go through the entire off season wondering "Will Ed retire? Will Ed play?" He has become an attention hog with his ambiguous statements.

The Ravens wanted him back, but not at what he got from the Texans.

I hope you get half of what some of you expect out of him.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2007
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Il hope you get half of what some of you expect out of him.
Well, **** you too buddy.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2008
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Other than the part about Flacco's contract causing a fire sale in Baltimore, this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.

Ed showed his loyalty to Baltimore by chasing the money which wasn't even there. 1 team showed interest in Ed- the Texans. He made double last year than what he will get this year. And the ravens paid him every cent of his 6 yr $46million dollar contract- yet he felt 'disrespected' last year.

I for one am glad we Ravens fans don't have to go through the entire off season wondering "Will Ed retire? Will Ed play?" He has become an attention hog with his ambiguous statements.

The Ravens wanted him back, but not at what he got from the Texans.

I hope you get half of what some of you expect out of him.

Reeds coming home party next season in Baltimore will hopefully be memorable.

Im thinking 3 interceptions and a pick 6
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2009
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This isn't about Andre getting in the ear of the front office, TK.

Geez Louise, what are you smoking tonight???

I mean, is it possible that the following happening (rather than AJ telling the front office there's this guy named Ed Reed they need to look at):
...this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.
I wasn't even going to respond... but since our resident ratbird decided to make silly statements... (FYI GP, this is akin to Al Queda wanting Obama in the White House).

I think very little of Rick Smith. If Andre didn't tell Rick (or Gary, or Bob, or whoever he told) that Ed Reed was interested in coming to Houston, I don't think Reed would have been on our radar.
Old 03-24-2013   #2010
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Way off topic. I was going to include this with my previous post, but decided it needed it's own. Probably should be in another thread. But.....

I think highly of Glover Quin. I think Wade thinks highly of Glover Quin. Glover Quin was our best safety last year. They might call him a free safety, but he doesn't play like one. He's in the box more than not. He's manned up on a TE more than not. He rarely plays that "last line of defense" that a FS gives you. When it's just two safeties, Manning is the last line of defense. When it's three safeties, Demps/Keo is the last line of defense (I don't understand it either, but that's the way it was). 14 passes defensed. That means he was in someone's grille when they were trying to catch the ball.

He gave up some TDs, PFF has him ranked very low among safeties. & there are reasons for that. But, when I watched the games, two players stood out to me in our secondary as playing above the bar.... Kj (16 passes defensed) & Quin. Everyone else was reacting to the ball carrier. Kj & Quin weren't allowing the offensive player to become the "ball carrier".
I think Quin is not a Texans, because Reed has something the Texans wanted & they value more than what Quin had to offer. Glover Quin is going to have a long successful career. I don't know that he'll ever be a super star (like Reed) but he's not going to get cut next year because the Lions think his production isn't worth it (ala Winston).
Old 03-24-2013   #2011
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
An interesting take on Reed, and some interesting facts about and statements by Reed worth reading .
Cool picture.

I liked this snippet.
Quote:
He wasn't worth that price to the Ravens, not in the salary-cap era of the NFL. Baltimore is rebuilding, and a 34-year-old who has dropped off doesn't fit the model.
Old 03-24-2013   #2012
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Quin is not a Texans, because Reed has something the Texans wanted & they value more than what Quin had to offer. Glover Quin is going to have a long successful career. I don't know that he'll ever be a super star (like Reed) but he's not going to get cut next year because the Lions think his production isn't worth it (ala Winston).
Yep, and these PFF ratings highlight the difference:

Ed Reed rated 17th out of 88 Safeties in pass coverage,
Glover Quin rated 66th out of 88 in pass coverage.

Glover Quin rated 9th out of 88 Safeties in run defense,
Ed Reed rated 70th out of 88 in run defense.

What it also highlights is the Texans are going to have to get much better up the middle against the run with Reed in there. NT, ILB need upgrades.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2013
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CnD,

Thanks for the link. Good article, but I didn't really like his take away that Reed isn't as smart as people think. As an athlete and someone who spent 25 years in the military (probably shows I'm not too smart either), if you love what you do or play, most of us keep doing it until we truly can't do it any longer. Call it the heart of a warrior or stupidity; I don't really care what the media puppets say.

This Teddy Roosevelt quote is something I've recalled frequently through my life and one that I think embodies guys like Ed Reed and Mr. Harvey (The Critic)...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2014
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2015
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wasn't even going to respond... but since our resident ratbird decided to make silly statements... (FYI GP, this is akin to Al Queda wanting Obama in the White House).

I think very little of Rick Smith. If Andre didn't tell Rick (or Gary, or Bob, or whoever he told) that Ed Reed was interested in coming to Houston, I don't think Reed would have been on our radar.
That's a dumb statement- you act all important and then post this? Shame on you.

Smith got to be the GM by knowing something; but of course, you know better.

I understand now. Its all about the "U" and the relationships made there.
Old 03-24-2013   #2016
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Well, **** you too buddy.
informative and lively!
Old 03-24-2013   #2017
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nice.

MSR.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2018
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
informative and lively!
Sounds like you're butthurt your boy reed left. Your boy flake-o holds the key to the basement your ratbirds are going to be in for the next 5 years. Have fun looking up at the Bengals and Steelers bro.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2019
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, and these PFF ratings highlight the difference:

Ed Reed rated 17th out of 88 Safeties in pass coverage,
Glover Quin rated 66th out of 88 in pass coverage.

Glover Quin rated 9th out of 88 Safeties in run defense,
Ed Reed rated 70th out of 88 in run defense.

What it also highlights is the Texans are going to have to get much better up the middle against the run with Reed in there. NT, ILB need upgrades.
Reed played mostly CF where as Quin came down to run with the TEs a lot; so they have different roles really.

Reed missed an awful lot tackles.
I didn't watch every game, but I think PFF or some site keeps track of those things.

I watched the Ravens play-offs games and a few others, and the pattern holds.

Granted, I think our guys are more disciplined in run support, and that should help Reed. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the number of misses by Reed would have been less with the Texans; at least, I hope so.

But the fact is that Reed did miss a lot of tackles (I think it was something like 1.5 per reg season game, a number that he cut down to about 1 in the play-offs.)

Some of the misses were because he "kinda" go for it all, instead of playing it safe by breaking down and wait for the play to come to him.

If you complain about Keo, you would be horrified watching those misses, at least 2 of them resulting in TDs (even though I wouldn't hold it solely against him.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #2020
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
Sounds like you're butthurt your boy reed left. Your boy flake-o holds the key to the basement your ratbirds are going to be in for the next 5 years. Have fun looking up at the Bengals and Steelers bro.
Not butt hurt at all- I liked Ed, but Ed Reed isn't Ed Reed anymore. Gambles too much, is wrong a lot, cannot wrap up and leaves CB's stranded a lot. Other than that, he is a fine addition to the Texans.

Ravens lose more FA's than anyone else in the league, year after year. Since the inception of the Compensatory Pick in 1994 (2 years before the Ravens existed), the Ravens have been awarded the most picks for FA leaving because we are successful and win on a consistent basis.

Better to let a player go a year too early, than a year too late....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read