Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2013   #121
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shane Lechler - Signed Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What's funny is that he could have traded up for RG3 and then build around him this year going forward. I really thought he was crazy for not challenging Washington for that opportunity. RG3 would have been the playmaker that team needs.

Instead, they've got Tony Romo who is the biggest question mark at QB I've ever seen. Playing lights out one game, fumbling and stumbling the next game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What's funny is that we could have traded up for RG3 and then build around him this year going forward. I really thought he was crazy for not challenging Washington for that opportunity. RG3 would have been the playmaker this team needs.

Instead, we've got Matt Schaub who is the biggest question mark at QB I've ever seen. Playing lights out one game, fumbling and stumbling the next game.
Fixed it for you!
Old 03-23-2013   #122
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I would take Swope in a heartbeat.
Not me. He's off my board with a 'multiple concussion' history.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
This is true, but I think the big difference is that despite being almost equal most considered it a good yr for Jones & a somewhat down yr for Lechler. That alone just shows you who has the higher upside. Lechler is the better option of the 2, IMO, & I'm glad he is finally in Houston. Can't say I've ever been happy about signing a punter...1st time for everything.
I think the biggest difference is the situational aspects of the punts. I don't know that the stats accurately reflects that. Lechler could punt from the 48 yard line & have it drop on the 2 a second before his guy could get there to make a play. Jones was just as likely to drop it on the 2 three seconds before our guy got there & it rolled into the endzone.
Old 03-23-2013   #124
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the biggest difference is the situational aspects of the punts. I don't know that the stats accurately reflects that. Lechler could punt from the 48 yard line & have it drop on the 2 a second before his guy could get there to make a play. Jones was just as likely to drop it on the 2 three seconds before our guy got there & it rolled into the endzone.
You mean a 46 yard net punt compared to a 28 yard net punt wouldn't accurately reflect the differences between those two kicks?

There's also a stat for kicks inside the 20 and touchbacks - which would further differentiate the two kicks you describe.
Old 03-23-2013   #125
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

One point I don't remember anyone bringing up when comparing stats for Jones against Lechler is one "small" factor.........the Oakland open-air stadium. For any of you who have never been there for a football game, the stadium is near the water..........the wind is cold, strong and brutal most of football season........and the wind is usually directed in cross-direction and/or swirling........a punter's nightmare. During the winter, forget feeling your feet, hands or face. Since Lechler has played all of his home games every year outdoors, it is safe to say that he has overall played the majority of his games in his 13 year career gathering his extraordinary stats in unprotected environments.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #126
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I would take Swope in a heartbeat. .....
Me too .... I think he's going to be a value pick. First round measurables and will likely end up going in the second.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #127
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
One point I don't remember anyone bringing up when comparing stats for Jones against Lechler is one "small" factor.........the Oakland open-air stadium. For any of you who have never been there for a football game, the stadium is near the water..........the wind is cold, strong and brutal most of football season........and the wind is usually directed in cross-direction and/or swirling........a punter's nightmare. During the winter, forget feeling your feet, hands or face. Since Lechler has played all of his home games every year outdoors, it is safe to say that he has overall played the majority of his games in his 13 year career gathering his extraordinary stats in unprotected environments.
That's a good point. To be able to rack up his type of stats in an environment that is unforgiving to punters and kickers is even more impressive. I just looked at his stats, and his net average away from Oakland has been better every season except for 2007 and 2003.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #128
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That's a good point. To be able to rack up his type of stats in an environment that is unforgiving to punters and kickers is even more impressive. I just looked at his stats, and his net average away from Oakland has been better every season except for 2007 and 2003.
Hi Sam! how have you been?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #129
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Good point, Doc.

Also, I just went back and watched each punt by Lechler and Jones in the first 4 weeks of the season.

A few things that I noticed are:

The Raiders had bad bad blockings on punt.
They also missed their LS in at least one of those games.
Jones had one punt where pressure came close while Lechler had at least five.
Obviously, on these occasions, the punter had to get rid of the ball quicker; therefore, his punt is affected.

Along the same line, the ball leaves Lechler's foot sooner as compared with Jones.
Consistently just after one second after the ball was snapped, it left Lechler's foot where as Jones took longer; and he was still "pressured" more than Jones.
That goes to show how poor the blocking up front is.

Lechler definitely has the stronger leg as evident against the Broncos in Mile High (he boomed 62 and 68 yd punt with no pressure on; quite better than Jones whose Texans played there just a week earlier and didn't do as well as far as distance goes.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #130
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Dont see how you get Gary making this decision. This is Rick Smith's roster to build. He's the GM ..... He makes the personel decisions tho Kubiak and the other coaches have some input , the final decision belongs to the GM.
and yet it was Gary who basically hired Rick Smith, or had a very huge hand in that decision....

Quite sure that if Gary says, "get this guy" Rick says "okey dokey!"...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #131
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have now watched all of Lechler's punts from last year, and I will say that he's still got it.

The guy is a beast!
Very consistent.

There's just one "negative" thing, and I'm not sure if it's truly is negative.

Some of the punts from his own end zone or inside the 10, are among the shortest (36, 40, 40 something.)
Perhaps he was concerned about the rush and wanted to get the ball out of there.
So even when the rush wasn't coming, he might have hurried the punts a little.

It's hard to blame him though, because the Raiders were pretty poor in blocking for him as opposed to what the Texans did for Jones.
Old 03-24-2013   #132
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

I was really hoping he would join a team in the NFC so our Punter, Sam Koch could get some Pro Bowl recognition....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #133
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
and yet it was Gary who basically hired Rick Smith, or had a very huge hand in that decision....

Quite sure that if Gary says, "get this guy" Rick says "okey dokey!"...
Wrong.

In an interview a couple of years ago, during training camp, a reporter asked Kubiak something about how the contract talks are going with a RB we were supposedly trying out to see if he'd be signed to the team.....

....Kubiak said something to the effect of "I wouldn't know. Rick and his guys go out and find the guys and then they tell me who's signed with us."

It was a terse reply, really didn't sound like Gary is in his office making calls to players and spending his time updating the chalk board list of these guys we're signing.

Furthermore, last off-season there were very candid interviews with Rick Smith and Bob McNair that shed new light into how much Rick and his staff of scouts play a role in the signing of players. Rick and the scouts have a huge say in who gets signed here.

Kubiak has more sway over coaching staff choices than he does players.
Old 03-24-2013   #134
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
I was really hoping he would join a team in the NFC so our Punter, Sam Koch could get some Pro Bowl recognition....
Don't worry your boy Koch will have plenty of opportunities to punt his foot off. With out Boldens clutch receptions and Jacoby filling his spot your Offense is definitely not as good as last year. And if you think Jacoby is gonna fill that void your kidding yourself. Lol
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #135
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I have now watched all of Lechler's punts from last year, and I will say that he's still got it.

The guy is a beast!
Very consistent.

There's just one "negative" thing, and I'm not sure if it's truly is negative.

Some of the punts from his own end zone or inside the 10, are among the shortest (36, 40, 40 something.)
Perhaps he was concerned about the rush and wanted to get the ball out of there.
So even when the rush wasn't coming, he might have hurried the punts a little.

It's hard to blame him though, because the Raiders were pretty poor in blocking for him as opposed to what the Texans did for Jones.
Does He have pretty good hangtime?

I honestly haven't paid attention between him and jones over the years

Just been paying attention to Texan players
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #136
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Does He have pretty good hangtime?

I honestly haven't paid attention between him and jones over the years

Just been paying attention to Texan players
In post #28 of this thread, Playoffs posted some stats.

And I noted the maximum hang time of 5.50, which is exceptional for a punter.

I wanted to check it out myself, but it's just too cumbersome to go through all the punts again.
Besides, punting is a combination of things.
There are occasions when you want hangtime; there are occasions when you want to outkick the return man (if you see him coming up much closer than your deepest range), etc.
Sometimes you trade hang time for distance, and vice-versa.

One way to answer that question is to quote the following:

... Funny thing, after Shane Lechler boomed that 80-yard punt 10 days ago against Chicago to set a franchise record.
The Raiders' punter said he hit the ball "perfect" ...
and that it was "probably one of his top 10 punts."
Wait. He hit others more perfectly?
In fact, yes.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article...#ixzz2OWQltfJS

He is routinely compared to former Raiders punter Ray Guy,
a seven-time Pro Bowler and hang-time king who played from 1973 to 1986
and was named to the NFL's 75th-anniversary team in 1994.
Except that ...

"There is no comparison," former Raiders head coach and current broadcaster Tom Flores said.

Flores clearly believes Lechler is better...

Here's a video of his longest NFL punt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkp82TgP46U

The hang time was roughly 5 secs (from the moment the ball left his foot until it hit the ground.)
Here, he outkicked the return man, sacrificing a little hang time in the process.
Old 03-25-2013   #137
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Here's a video of his longest NFL punt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkp82TgP46U

The hang time was roughly 5 secs (from the moment the ball left his foot until it hit the ground.)
Here, he outkicked the return man, sacrificing a little hang time in the process.
Priceless comment below the video:
Quote:
I think the real surprise here is that the Raiders have a lead in the 4th quarter.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #138
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Priceless comment below the video:
LOL; I didn't catch that.
Old 03-25-2013   #139
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of Punters, Eagles just signed Donnie Jones.

Barwin, Casey, Ryans and now DJones are Eagles. LOL what's next?
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #140
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Speaking of Punters, Eagles just signed Donnie Jones.

Barwin, Casey, Ryans and now DJones are Eagles. LOL what's next?
Kevin Walter at this rate.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read