Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013   #1961
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...3-f55f153a2cb3

I'm not gonna lie i was never really a big fan of the guy but what he says here in the last 2 minutes really made me like Ed Reed. Wow never gained so much respect from someone over something so small.

Yeah i know it might be strande that it took that for me to really like him, but what can i say
Old 03-22-2013   #1962
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Heard of that JJ Watt guy? He was recently drafted. Might even play in the trenches. Last years #1 too.

Are you so negative about everything in life?!? Good lord, enjoy the moment.
I concur. Complete fail.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1963
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...3-f55f153a2cb3

I'm not gonna lie i was never really a big fan of the guy but what he says here in the last 2 minutes really made me like Ed Reed. Wow never gained so much respect from someone over something so small.

Yeah i know it might be strande that it took that for me to really like him, but what can i say
I wouldn't call myself a fan of his either, but I always respected what he does. I'm really excited to have him on our team, finally we have someone with a reputation for making QBs pay. We never had a guy with a reputation for getting interceptions, not like this, not where Bradies or Mannings had to look for a particular person in our secondary.

Yeah, Jjo, Manning & Kjax are going to make it hard on receivers & QBs, but they don't have a reputation like Reed.

I know he's not the same guy he used to be, but we have two very nice corners & a nice safety in Manning, Reed's box just got a lot smaller. Especially with Watt & Antonio up front.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-23-2013 at 07:42 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1964
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Loved how he came across in the presser, it's gonna be cool to see him as a Texan next season.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1965
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

General manager Rick Smith was not surprised when told free safety Ed Reed was working out in the Texans’ weight room about an hour after his introductory news conference.

“Every time I’ve spoken with Ed, whether on the phone or in person, he was either working out or on his way to work out,” Smith said. “That’s the kind of player he is. That’s the kind of dedication he has.”

After Smith got Reed under a three-year, $15 million contract that counts only $3.33 million against the salary cap this year, he turned his attention to punter Shane Lechler.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/

Talk about work ethic!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1966
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait.

$3.33 million against the cap this year?

We could still make some moves without even restructuring.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1967
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wait.

$3.33 million against the cap this year?

We could still make some moves without even restructuring.
One of the guys more familiar with the cap would know better than me, but I think we have to leave some for rookie signings.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1968
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
One of the guys more familiar with the cap would know better than me, but I think we have to leave some for rookie signings.
Yes, we do. But the rookies salaries are pretty much locked in and not very negotiable. Add that to the fact that we're drafting relatively late, the contracts for the rookies aren't going to be that big.

IIRC, we had $11 million of cap space. We were expecting Reed to take about $6 million of that space this year. Along with Lechler's signing, THAT would leave us enough room for nothing but signing the rookies and vet-minimum contracts without someone re-structuring. But if we've got an extra $2.7 million, that means we might still be able to get one of the better free agents still on the market. (And of course, we can always restructure someone.)
Old 03-22-2013   #1969
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, we do. But the rookies salaries are pretty much locked in and not very negotiable. Add that to the fact that we're drafting relatively late, the contracts for the rookies aren't going to be that big.

IIRC, we had $11 million of cap space. We were expecting Reed to take about $6 million of that space this year. Along with Lechler's signing, THAT would leave us enough room for nothing but signing the rookies and vet-minimum contracts without someone re-structuring. But if we've got an extra $2.7 million, that means we might still be able to get one of the better free agents still on the market. (And of course, we can always restructure someone.)
I hope you're right....... It would be nice to plug a couple of more holds heading into the draft so we have more flexibility.
Old 03-23-2013   #1970
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I hope you're right....... It would be nice to plug a couple of more holds heading into the draft so we have more flexibility.
I'm not saying we WILL do that. But Reed isn't going to be as much of a cap hit as we expected so... maybe MAYBE we'll make another move.

Although we'll probably wait a while because the longer we wait, the lower the contracts go.
Old 03-23-2013   #1971
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Sign one more veteran LB, NT or WR would be nice.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #1972
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm not saying we WILL do that. But Reed isn't going to be as much of a cap hit as we expected so... maybe MAYBE we'll make another move.

Although we'll probably wait a while because the longer we wait, the lower the contracts go.
I think an argument can be made for waiting or not waiting. Get best value in the draft, get the players you really love at the positions you need, and then wait until after to fill in the holes. Or, address a few positions before, go BPA in some spots in the draft you wouldn't have possibly been able to, and fill in some needs in the draft as well. There will still be some quality free agents out there after the draft though.
Old 03-23-2013   #1973
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We had less than $11M.
With the signing of McCain, Gardner, Reed, and Lechler plus the rookie (Not all of the guys on the reserve/future list will make it, releasing a little cap space there) my estimation is that the Texans is right up to the limit; maybe with a Mil to spare.

Any more signing will require restructuring a player or a cut.

Looks like Reed got a $4M signing bonus plus $1M base salary in 2013 (and an incentive for playing time of anothe $1M).

The signing bonus is pro-rated for 3 years, such that 1/3 is counted against the cap this year ($1.333+1+1= $3.333M).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #1974
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
We had less than $11M.
With the signing of McCain, Gardner, Reed, and Lechler plus the rookie (Not all of the guys on the reserve/future list will make it, releasing a little cap space there) my estimation is that the Texans is right up to the limit; maybe with a Mil to spare.

Any more signing will require restructuring a player or a cut.

Looks like Reed got a $4M signing bonus plus $1M base salary in 2013 (and an incentive for playing time of anothe $1M).

The signing bonus is pro-rated for 3 years, such that 1/3 is counted against the cap this year ($1.333+1+1= $3.333M).
Ah, well. I'd hoped that extra 2.7 would be able to be used on someone.
Old 03-23-2013   #1975
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post

After Smith got Reed under a three-year, $15 million contract that counts only $3.33 million against the salary cap this year, he turned his attention to punter Shane Lechler.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/

Talk about work ethic!
& we're talking about $5.5M guaranteed..... yup, slowly starting to like Rick Smith (slowerly starting to think Greg Olsen is worth the air he breaths).
Old 03-23-2013   #1976
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed = The Beard part II. I think Harden and Reed should have a beard off.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #1977
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Ed Reed = The Beard part II. I think Harden and Reed should have a beard off.
Well RocketBeard seems to be worth his paycheck. Let's hope TexansBeard will work out too.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #1978
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This FO is completely incompetent.

Signed,

Most of you prior to Friday
Old 03-23-2013   #1979
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This FO is completely incompetent.

Signed,

Most of you prior to Friday
Sitting idly on their hands as we watch every other team get better. Utter incompetence. Off with their heads!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #1980
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The impatience was what ticked me off.

All of us agreed that we should walk away if he wanted $7+...there's not been a beef over that issue.

What was frustrating, to me, was to see the impatience that resulted in posts claiming we were wasting time and going to miss out on other FAs.

Now that we see we landed Ed at a crazy friendly price, considering Glover Quin would have been a much more expensive option, it shows that patience pays off.

I was all for us walking away if he kept dragging his feet, and who knows...we might have told Ed that we had a Plan B and Plan C ready to go with if he didn't sign Friday. Never know.

I'd like us to add a vet minimum FA player or two to end our off-season spending, then re-structure a few guys if a free agent needs signing after the draft, before or during camp.

Then roll with what we got and see what happens in September. Hopefully January goes better this time around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read