Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-23-2013   #101
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I like Hunter where we pick as well. His injury history and build scares the beejeezus out of me though, but his upside is HUGE! We feel about the same on the draft except I would replace RT with a safety. If, and its a big if, Newton is healthy then I think his improvement will be substantial. You could even see his growth as the season went along. Harris is also a guy we can bring back for depth so I'd rather get a young safety since this is such a good draft for them. Then take a RT in the 4th if we really need one.

I've made no secret that I want Ramses Barden. I can't use stats to back why because he doesn't have the numbers, but is upside is something that'll pay off I believe.
If Newton is healthy then I'll take Jon Bostic and Corey Lemonier in the 3rd .
Old 03-23-2013   #102
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Can't say I'm familiar with those guys. If Hampton signs with us before the draft then I think we can eliminate NT early. Based on what I'm hearing he won't play for the minimum. His friends and family are working on him though.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #103
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't say I'm familiar with those guys. If Hampton signs with us before the draft then I think we can eliminate NT early. Based on what I'm hearing he won't play for the minimum. His friends and family are working on him though.
Hmmm ... Hampton signs then I'm looking at Jesse Williams at NG/DE .
Old 03-23-2013   #104
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be really happy with Bostic and ecstatic with Lemonier in the 3rd.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #105
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmm ... Hampton signs then I'm looking at Jesse Williams at NG/DE .
So Earl Mitchell hits the skids then huh?
Old 03-23-2013   #106
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

It would be a big move, but the market seems to be too soft for John Abraham right now. He'll be 35 years old when the season starts, and it seems that teams are really overlooking him right now. Or he could be asking too much; who knows? But the guy had 10 sacks last year, his tackles were on par with every other year of his career, he had 7 passes deflected, which is a career high for him, and he forced 6 fumbles, which ties his career high. I realize the Texans probably blew their budget on Reed, but it'd be pretty nice to lie in the weeds and snag Abraham when guys like Dumervil and Umenyiora are gone.
Old 03-23-2013   #107
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how high of a draft pick we could get for A Smith? I love Smith but if we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and at the same time free up that big salary of his, we could sign a couple of free agents like Seymour and Hampton to one year deals.

Just thinking out loud!
Old 03-23-2013   #108
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's from Clutchfans so TIFWIW

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=25

Quote:
A coworker of mine just texted me with information. He has a friend who works for Fox Sports Net that said the two most likely destinations for Urlacher are Houston and Miami. Not sure how reliable that information is, though.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #109
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Doesn't make sense on a lot of fronts. I'd rather have Spikes if we're gonna get an older LB.
Old 03-23-2013   #110
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a look at the number of snaps that need to be replaced.
The whole list are FAs the ones in Bold are signed else where.

OFF Total 2256
416 OT Harris
355 OG Caldwell
609 FB Casey
124 RB Forset
752 WR Walter

DEF Total 4360
261 NT Cody
22 DE Nading
1020 OLB Barwin
96 ILB Ruud
655 ILB James
395 ILB Dobbins
411 CB Routt
100 CB Ball
1046 S Quin
354 S Demps

LINK
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #111
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Here is a look at the number of snaps that need to be replaced.
The whole list are FAs the ones in Bold are signed else where.

OFF Total 2256
416 OT Harris
355 OG Caldwell
609 FB Casey
124 RB Forset
752 WR Walter

DEF Total 4360
261 NT Cody
22 DE Nading
1020 OLB Barwin
96 ILB Ruud
655 ILB James
395 ILB Dobbins
411 CB Routt
100 CB Ball
1046 S Quin
354 S Demps

LINK
Routt played 411 snaps? No way that is right.
Old 03-23-2013   #112
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

that must be including with the chiefs for routt (only 2 defensive snaps with the texans), otherwise those numbers are fairly close to what i see from football outsiders. i dont see anyone on the list who hasnt been replaced already, or will be a problem to replace.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yeah, not 411 for us. I find that hard to believe.
Old 03-23-2013   #114
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
edit: nvm

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #115
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

From RotoWorld; the predicted pre-draft Texans' starters. The article (LINK) ranked every team's predicted lineups and we were ranked at #11. The top five were:

1. Seattle
2. Denver
3. San Francisco
4. New England
5. Green Bay
-----------------------------------

11. Houston Texans

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Arian Foster
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Lestar Jean
TE: Owen Daniels
TE: Garrett Graham
LT: Duane Brown
LG: Wade Smith
C: Chris Myers
RG: Ben Jones
RT: Derek Newton

Offensive Overview: The Texans have a plethora of concerns on offense. The right side of the line was a major 2012 liability, run blocking particularly poorly. There is no viable No. 2 wide receiver. Now 32, Schaub's on-field performance is slipping. By the end of last season, he was Houston's single biggest problem. The Texans were low on cap space in free agency and lacked funds to upgrade. It will be interesting to see whether Foster begins to decline. He's averaged a league-most 372 touches the past three seasons and his YPC average has dipped each year.

LE: J.J. Watt
RE: Antonio Smith
NT: Earl Mitchell
ILB: Brian Cushing
ILB: Darryl Sharpton
OLB: Brooks Reed
OLB: Whitney Mercilus
RCB: Kareem Jackson
LCB: Johnathan Joseph
FS: Ed Reed
SS: Danieal Manning

Defensive Overview: Defense is the Texans' strength, but this unit is not without flaws. All of Houston's free-agent efforts were poured into Reed, who may or may not be worth it going on age 35. Inside linebacker next to Cushing, nose tackle, and outside 'backer all face concerning turnover. Watt, Cushing, Smith, Joseph, and Manning give the Texans five beastly defenders -- and Mercilus has the potential to join them -- but GM Rick Smith must emerge from the draft with two or three defensive starters while also selecting a No. 2 receiver. Smith has nine draft picks this year, including four in the top 95.

While it's possible, I don't see Smithiak completely pulling off the bolded. Free agents will have to fill some holes or Brooks Reed and Mercilus will have to step up big time on D and on offense someone (Newton?) will have to step up and claim the RT spot as their own.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #116
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
For What It's Worth???

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Worth = 0
Old 03-23-2013   #117
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
GM Rick Smith must emerge from the draft with two or three defensive starters while also selecting a No. 2 receiver. Smith has nine draft picks this year, including four in the top 95

While it's possible, I don't see Smithiak completely pulling off the bolded. Free agents will have to fill some holes or Brooks Reed and Mercilus will have to step up big time on D and on offense someone (Newton?) will have to step up and claim the RT spot as their own.
Under this regime, their MO has always been to fill holes with free agents so there is no glaring position of need going into the draft. IMO, that has been one if their strongest, most consistent tendencies.
I think there is little chance they roll into the draft without shoring up the weak spots so they can go BPA on draft day.
And absolutely zero chance that they will need a draftee to step in as WR2.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #118
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75474 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Under this regime, their MO has always been to fill holes with free agents so there is no glaring position of need going into the draft. IMO, that has been one if their strongest, most consistent tendencies.
I think there is little chance they roll into the draft without shoring up the weak spots so they can go BPA on draft day.
And absolutely zero chance that they will need a draftee to step in as WR2.
I just looked the FA list of WR's that are left and lets just say.....not impressed

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/n...ver/available/

I would sign Zeke Markshausen just for the name though.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #119
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I just looked the FA list of WR's that are left and lets just say.....not impressed

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/n...ver/available/
well, that's what you get on the cheap. It's like buying onions when the good ones are already picked over.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #120
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
well, that's what you get on the cheap. It's like buying onions when the good ones are already picked over.
I wouldn't be upset if they made an offer to RFA Denario Alexander. SD tendered him at the lowest level, and I think he's worth a look, although I admittedly don't know a lot about his knee issues, which have been somewhat numerous, IIRC.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read