Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2013   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wow, this new CBA is pulling all the second-tier money down.

That's a very good number right there.
That's something we've been discussing the past two weeks: The new CBA is altering today's contracts and will certainly impact things 1 to 2 years from now.

All those teams who were like $20 million or more under the cap, their players they signed this year to get to the minimum cap number (due to new CBA) they better LOVE those decisions now....because a couple years from now, they'll have to be on a level playing field.

I think if Rick can keep the Texans a solid playoff team for the next two seasons, all the great FAs will maybe want to come here since the money will all be pretty much equalized by then. The teams who are still 3 or 4 wins and 13 or 12 losses, they'll be spending the same dollars as us.

This is where a FO is either going to build a great future or really hamstring their team if they've spent poorly just for the sake of being able to NOW.
Old 03-22-2013   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, the stats of Donnie Jones vs Lechler were practically identical, if not leaning in favor of Jones.
Old 03-22-2013   #103
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shane Lechler to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wow, this new CBA is pulling all the second-tier money down.

That's a very good number right there.
That is why the Texans didnt jump into FA with both feet at the opening bell. The big names are going to eat up most of the available money and the second tier guy's become bargins.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #104
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shane Lechler - Signed Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
IIRC, the stats of Donnie Jones vs Lechler were practically identical, if not leaning in favor of Jones.
This is true, but I think the big difference is that despite being almost equal most considered it a good yr for Jones & a somewhat down yr for Lechler. That alone just shows you who has the higher upside. Lechler is the better option of the 2, IMO, & I'm glad he is finally in Houston. Can't say I've ever been happy about signing a punter...1st time for everything.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
This is true, but I think the big difference is that despite being almost equal most considered it a good yr for Jones & a somewhat down yr for Lechler. That alone just shows you who has the higher upside. Lechler is the better option of the 2, IMO, & I'm glad he is finally in Houston. Can't say I've ever been happy about signing a punter...1st time for everything.
Eh, well...maybe. Maybe not.

The moment he starts shanking off a 15-yard wobbler to the third row of the bleachers...the money and the risk of Jones having a down year better be enough to fend off a lot of angry fans' reactions.

I don't know if Jones' year was so decent that he's priced himself out of our range or what, but I'm in a wait and see mode on this one.
Old 03-23-2013   #106
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've heard, Donnie Jones had a better statistical year than Lechler... but he was shanking in the playoffs. Maybe Kubes just wants his Aggie? Aggie kicker, Aggie punter... Aggie long snapper next?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #107
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
You can't KEEP what you don't HAVE. He's a FA.

We have NO punter on our roster.
i know he's a FA but he's an unsigned FA (that will prob take a vet min deal) and as he was a texan last yr he wouldnt have counted in the comp pick calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I will take improving the team over worrying about the effect on comp picks any day. Lechler is still the better punter amongst the 2 & field position is half the battle. Especially when you got Kubiak calling the plays & Schaub running them, give them a 10pt lead & the offense goes into coast mode. the defense needs every advantage possible w/ the multiple 3 & outs by the offense sitting on a lead & pinning the opposition deep will help the defense tremendously. Normally I don't care about a punter being signed, but Lechler can create some advantages for the Texans & I would be happy if he was on board.

thats assuming lechler is an upgrade. donnie played well last year and has the stats to back it up. if the two players are much of a muchness, why shouldnt that potential 5th or 6th rd pick come into the equation?

anyway im not gonna get too bothered about it since we've signed lechler now. he's a name but once he plays well too il have no problem with him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #108
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
From what I've heard, Donnie Jones had a better statistical year than Lechler... but he was shanking in the playoffs. Maybe Kubes just wants his Aggie? Aggie kicker, Aggie punter... Aggie long snapper next?
Dont see how you get Gary making this decision. This is Rick Smith's roster to build. He's the GM ..... He makes the personel decisions tho Kubiak and the other coaches have some input , the final decision belongs to the GM.

Maybe they could avoid being questioned if they didnt sign any aggies .... Cant wait for Johnny Manziel to come out .... Its gonna be VY all over again.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-23-2013   #109
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Dont see how you get Gary making this decision. This is Rick Smith's roster to build. He's the GM ..... He makes the personel decisions tho Kubiak and the other coaches have some input , the final decision belongs to the GM.

Maybe they could avoid being questioned if they didnt sign any aggies .... Cant wait for Johnny Manziel to come out .... Its gonna be VY all over again.
I disagree with the bolded statement. Manziel will not be there at number 32 for us to draft him.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #110
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I disagree with the bolded statement. Manziel will not be there at number 32 for us to draft him.
But we have to trade up!!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-23-2013   #111
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Don't worry, it is going to be Jerry Jones and Dallas who are all over Manziel. I hope for JFF's sake that Jerry doesn't win that battle.
Old 03-23-2013   #112
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Don't worry, it is going to be Jerry Jones and Dallas who are all over Manziel. I hope for JFF's sake that Jerry doesn't win that battle.
Jerry will give his entire draft, Romo, AND Herschel Walker to the team who has the #1 pick, in order to select Manziel.

I really think he'd sell and trade everything for what he thinks is his superstar QB.

What's funny is that he could have traded up for RG3 and then build around him this year going forward. I really thought he was crazy for not challenging Washington for that opportunity. RG3 would have been the playmaker that team needs.

Instead, they've got Tony Romo who is the biggest question mark at QB I've ever seen. Playing lights out one game, fumbling and stumbling the next game.
Old 03-23-2013   #113
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Shane Lechler signs with Texans for 3 years 5.5 mil

https://twitter.com/TexansTalk/statu...91777794699264

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #114
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know; Jerry seems to be in love with Romo still.
I read that they are close in the negotiation to rework his contract, which would terminate this year otherwise.

If there's a deal, it pretty much kills the hope of any Cowboys fan that has Johnny Football on his wish list.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #115
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
think I'd rather re-sign Ryan Harris who should be healthier than Vollmer.
Harris has a bad back too.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #116
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub contract will allow us to release him with minimal cap hit the same year Luck becomes a FA. Andrew coming home!!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #117
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #118
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Get ready for Swope,Micheal,Moore/Porter/Dustin Harris Maybe even Spencer Nealy etc... to be joining the Texans. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #119
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Get ready for Swope,Micheal,Moore/Porter/Dustin Harris Maybe even Spencer Nealy etc... to be joining the Texans. LOL
I would take Swope in a heartbeat. Spencer Nealy would be a great late round pickup.....
Old 03-23-2013   #120
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Another need filled with what appears to be a solid signing. NT next?
Please please please!!!! I want Seymour, Hampton and or Branch. Surely we could get one or two of those guys for a cheap one year contract.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read