Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2013   #101
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Hopefully w/ the 27th overall pick. I like Hopkins. His speed is adequate, but he has shown the ability to create space & has good hands. The comparisons have been along the lines of Boldin & Roddy White & I don't think too many could complain if that is the type of player he becomes. I wouldn't be upset w/ Patton, Patterson, or Hunter just for the record, but Hopkins would be a good pickup IMO.
These are the ones I'm wanting, but I'm hoping Hopkins last till 57.
Old 03-22-2013   #102
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
From Evan Silva per Mort

@evansilva ESPZn's Chris Mortensen on #Texans: "I assure you they'll add a WR or two in this draft. Somebody that can run & run fast. Highest priority."
2:53pm - 21 Mar 13
I hate this kind of ****! And that's what it is, ****! Just throw out random popular opinion and people act like it's some confirmation with inside information. pffff!!!

I bet anything he came to this conclusion from comments McNair made days ago.
Old 03-22-2013   #103
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I think he's still somewhat raw as a route runner in my opinion. Not because he's not capable, but I just don't think he was asked to do much in that offense at La Tech. Granted I didn't watch any Senior Bowl practices and I heard he showed a lot in this aspect there. I'm only judging from what I've seen.
He was one of the receivers who had a good week at Senior Bowl Practice, not great, but pretty good. He's a borderline 2nd-3rd rounder; I might have to put him slightly behind Posey (who was drafted at what low 60s?)
That would probably put Patton in the mid third for me.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #104
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be really happy w/ Hopkins & Dobson. Dobson hasn't gotten much love on here, but he has some really good hands to go along w/ 4.4 speed & good size at 6'3" 210lbs. Getting him later in the draft would be a very nice addition, but I'm not sure that he would last past the 3rd round. 2 WR's in the 1st 3 rounds could happen, but there are needs elsewhere & Im not sure the Texans would pull the trigger after acquiring 2 last season.
Dobson had injury history that might put some off. He did have good senior bowl.
Old 03-22-2013   #105
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I hate this kind of ****! And that's what it is, ****! Just throw out random popular opinion and people act like it's some confirmation with inside information. pffff!!!

I bet anything he came to this conclusion from comments McNair made days ago.
You should be use to this type of reporting. With our local Texan "insider" McLame, he is all to familiar w/ "reporting" the obvious as if he has done an adequate job & we should all be impressed. Pitiful to say the least imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #106
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dobson had injury history that might put some off. He did have good senior bowl.
I haven't seen anything real concerning as far as injuries on Dobson. I still like his potential & can't see him getting past the 3rd. If the Texans got him I would be excited.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #107
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't seen anything real concerning as far as injuries on Dobson. I still like his potential & can't see him getting past the 3rd. If the Texans got him I would be excited.
I'd be stoked with adding Dobson.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #108
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I'd be stoked with adding Dobson.
I would be estatic if the draft fell like this

Rd.1 Hunter, Rd.3 Dobson

or

Rd.2 Swope, Rd.3 Dobson. Both are great blockers which is big in Garys offense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #109
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would be estatic if the draft fell like this

Rd.1 Hunter, Rd.3 Dobson

or

Rd.2 Swope, Rd.3 Dobson. Both are great blockers which is big in Garys offense.
I'd love to grab 2 solid WR prospects. I definitely see why people like Hunter but his non contact ACL injury concerns me. His legs are sooo long he looks almost gangly when making cuts. Don't get me wrong though, he's a stud athletically

I also want a stud pass rusher at OLb and a big fat NT and a young safety prospect (maybe JJ Wilcox).
Old 03-24-2013   #110
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Swope and Dobson would be a disappointment to me. Swope is a slot, and he is not enough of an upgrade over Martin to make me want him in the very next draft.
I like the idea of two receivers, but we also really need two safeties in a sense, because Keo is horrible and who knows what Pleasant is.

If they can get Wheaton in the second and then Marquess Wilson in the 5th, I think they would have two of the top 5 receivers in this draft.
Old 03-24-2013   #111
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Swope and Dobson would be a disappointment to me. Swope is a slot, and he is not enough of an upgrade over Martin to make me want him in the very next draft.
I like the idea of two receivers, but we also really need two safeties in a sense, because Keo is horrible and who knows what Pleasant is.

If they can get Wheaton in the second and then Marquess Wilson in the 5th, I think they would have two of the top 5 receivers in this draft.
we have a lot of holes to fill with the draft and i'd be disappointed taking a wr with our 1st . . . at 27, we are left with the same quality/value wr that we could get with our 2nd.

with many 3-4 afc teams drafting behind us, we really need to get one of the top 3 ilb's with our 1st or at least one of the top 2 safeties . . .

i think you'll see quite a few of the wr's named on this thread fall into the 2nd or even the 3rd . . . for some reason woods from usc keeps catching my eye . . .
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #112
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaux View Post
we have a lot of holes to fill with the draft and i'd be disappointed taking a wr with our 1st . . . at 27, we are left with the same quality/value wr that we could get with our 2nd.

with many 3-4 afc teams drafting behind us, we really need to get one of the top 3 ilb's with our 1st or at least one of the top 2 safeties . . .

i think you'll see quite a few of the wr's named on this thread fall into the 2nd or even the 3rd . . . for some reason woods from usc keeps catching my eye . . .
I'm a ND fan so it pains me to say this but Woods would be a great pick up. Hes coming off a down year, but he dealt with injuries, spotty QB play and the emergence of Lee. He is a top shelf talent, good size, good hands, runs good routes, and runs well after the catch. He'd be a great pick up, especially if we traded back. I'm not sure he'll last until 54.
Old 03-24-2013   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post

We see Swope differently,

Swope is the best slot guy in this draft. He also can/has played outside. Swope is playmaker and the Texans are severely lacking playmakers. Smae with Dobson, who knows how good/problem child Wilson is? I will tell you Wilson isn't a Gary kind of guy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #114
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
We see Swope differently,

Swope is the best slot guy in this draft. He also can/has played outside. Swope is playmaker and the Texans are severely lacking playmakers. Smae with Dobson, who knows how good/problem child Wilson is? I will tell you Wilson isn't a Gary kind of guy.
Please don't tell me you really believe Swope is a better slot receiver than Austin.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #115
otisbean
All Pro

Quote:
Please don't tell me you really believe Swope is a better slot receiver than Austin.
Austin is a beast. The one thing Swope can do better than Austin is run blocking which is important in our offense. I can't see Austin being available for us, even at 27
Old 03-24-2013   #116
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Austin is a beast. The one thing Swope can do better than Austin is run blocking which is important in our offense. I can't see Austin being available for us, even at 27
No doubt about that...... But I was just asking him if he really thought Swope was better in the slot than Austin or if he just forgot about him. I'm a Swope fan, and think he'll be really good in the league if he's healthy. Austin has the potential to be special.
Old 03-24-2013   #117
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is swope rated so low?

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Is it because he's white?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #118
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Can anyone tell me that?

I just watched some film on him, looked at his measurables, and I think he's worth a first...but CBS has him as a third rounder....

Unfornuately I honestly think so. I was surprised he ran a fast time at the combine. He made a lot of big plays at A&M especially his junior year. I said I would've drafted him in the third last year if he came out. Think he's even a little more polished now. His concussions may be one of the reasons though.
Old 03-24-2013   #119
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No doubt about that...... But I was just asking him if he really thought Swope was better in the slot than Austin or if he just forgot about him. I'm a Swope fan, and think he'll be really good in the league if he's healthy. Austin has the potential to be special.
Honestly, I'd rather have swope. He has a bigger body..Is really quick...has great speed...Runs good routes...Has good hands...Can make people miss in the open field...

Swope can play all the receiver spots....

I really like Tavon as an overall player, but I don't really want to spend a first on him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #120
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Can anyone tell me that?

He's another Don Beebe .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read