Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-22-2013   #81
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

yup
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #82
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I have some reservations about Hunter. He's fast but dropped 15lbs before the combine to increase his time, 15lbs is a significant amount of weight. If he adds that back he'll lose a bit of explosiveness. I worked with a young guy trying to make the pro beach volleyball tour. We conducted an experiment where I had him jump with both hands held under his chin to eliminate armswing and his standing jump was 28" then I had him hold a 10lb DB in the same position and his standing jump was 26". That's significant. You can add size and maintain speed, but it can be tricky.

He also has the highest drop amongst the top WR in the draft which is concerning.

I'm also concerned about his non contact ACL injury. I am worried he'll be injury prone.

I want to like him but Im worried.
These are the very reasons I would stay away from Hunter. He has a high ceiling but also a very low floor. As I've stated before in other posts, the Texans don't need a project #1 WR to develop over a year or 2, they need a #2 WR that is ready to play now.

Quote:
I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.
I've mentioned him on a number of posts and think he or Allen, if still there, are the choices the Texans should go for with the 27th pick. They may not have the blazing speed that Hunter does, but both have better hands, are better route runners, and are more physical.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #83
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I also think while speed is awesome there have been numerous WR that weren't blazers that have been very effective.

Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall Jordy Nelson ect....

None of these guys are burners, their 40 times range from the 4.5s to 4.7s but they can all get open and they all have good hands. I'll take a guy that can create separation, run good routes and has great hands over a guy that can fly but has a high drop rate any day.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #84
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Oh, we mentioned about him enough (I think).

Most of us who likes him think he's more of a number 2 receiver though.

He has a good floor, but he doesn't have as high a ceiling as a few others (due to size/speed... you know... the freakish measurables....
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I also think while speed is awesome there have been numerous WR that weren't blazers that have been very effective.

Wes Welker, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall Jordy Nelson ect....

None of these guys are burners, their 40 times range from the 4.5s to 4.7s but they can all get open and they all have good hands. I'll take a guy that can create separation, run good routes and has great hands over a guy that can fly but has a high drop rate any day.
Sounds to me like you're describing Posey to a certain degree. Man, it's a shame he got injured.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #85
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Sounds to me like you're describing Posey to a certain degree. Man, it's a shame he got injured.
It's a shame about Posey, he was improving as the season progressed. Hopefully he can get back to where he was pre injury
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #86
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Patton and Hopkins just fine. I like Hopkins more and I think he'll have a long productive career. I love his game. But he's not a game breaker and I think that's what this offense could use.

I think hunter can help open up the field for all the other receivers and te's. I think talent and physical ability wise he is a top ten type guy. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before our pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #87
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
These are the very reasons I would stay away from Hunter. He has a high ceiling but also a very low floor. As I've stated before in other posts, the Texans don't need a project #1 WR to develop over a year or 2, they need a #2 WR that is ready to play now.

I've mentioned him on a number of posts and think he or Allen, if still there, are the choices the Texans should go for with the 27th pick. They may not have the blazing speed that Hunter does, but both have better hands, are better route runners, and are more physical.

couldn't disagree with you more about hunter. This guy has the talent to be a #1, and a #1 WR to develop is exactly what this team needs largely b/c AJ's only got a few more years left and he's likely not going to be commanding the kind of attention he still recieves now. Plus it's not like he's going to be sitting behind AJ learning. He'll be on the field as the #2 while AJ is here and will instantly be the best #2 we've had opposite AJ....even as a rookie. It'll be just like harrison and wayne; once harrison was let go, Wayne ascended to the #1.

Plus it'll be best for us in the long run once schaub is released in a year or 2.

Hopkins to me is a solid, but i his ceiling is limited to a #2.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #88
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wonder if you can find anyone else to agree with you on that?
It's a deep class but it leaves a lot to be desired at the very tip top of the class. Almost all the prospects have some sort of Flag that makes you think twice about taking them in the top 10.
Old 03-22-2013   #89
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.

Where do y'all see him going in the draft?
Hopefully w/ the 27th overall pick. I like Hopkins. His speed is adequate, but he has shown the ability to create space & has good hands. The comparisons have been along the lines of Boldin & Roddy White & I don't think too many could complain if that is the type of player he becomes. I wouldn't be upset w/ Patton, Patterson, or Hunter just for the record, but Hopkins would be a good pickup IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In our range, I think hunter has the most potential to be that freak #1 receiver. May have to grab him in the first though.
I think we should get used to the idea of trading up in the first.

Signing Ed Reed has Mr. Smith thinking he's wearing his big boy pants.
Old 03-22-2013   #91
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Water is wet ....
In other news, Doppelganger's shoe crushes ant!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #92
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Deandre Hopkins would be awesome next to AJ!

Please draft him, he has #1 WR potential.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Going to need to look really heavily at this guy, for our WR pick:

Quote:
Jaris Danley, WR, SWGU
6' 3" 214 lbs.

Pros: Good height, really knows how to come back to under thrown passes. Led his team in the unique stat of Comebacks To Under-thrown Deep Passes helping his un-draftable QB achieve conference-leading stats in the areas of completions and yardage.

Cons: Doesn't fight off CBs at the line of scrimmage at the snap, tends to catch the difficult passes and drops the easy passes...making him a liability for roughly 80% of passes thrown his way. Questionable football I.Q., has said he wants to someday be a missionary doctor in Uganda, and has served a suspension at SWGU for selling letter jackets to teammates that he designed himself, and often refers to himself as "The Next Dwight Jones."

Conclusion: Won't likely be drafted until around round 6, unless a team decides he's worthy of a 3rd round pick. Most likely a "project pick." There are a few teams in the market for this caliber of WR, though.

Team Likely To Draft Him: Houston Texans

Poster Likely To Believe This: CretorFrigg
Championship.
Old 03-22-2013   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Going to need to look really heavily at this guy, for our WR pick:

Championship.
Hohohoho!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #95
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinton Patton early and Aaron Dobson in the middle rounds would be amazing IMO.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #96
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Quinton Patton early and Aaron Dobson in the middle rounds would be amazing IMO.
I can't lie...... the more I watch Patton the less I'm impressed with him. Against A&M he caught a lot of short passes, made people miss, and abused a true freshman most of the game. It was a great showing but I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL. I was on board with him at the beginning of the process, but not so much now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #97
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I can't lie...... the more I watch Patton the less I'm impressed with him. Against A&M he caught a lot of short passes, made people miss, and abused a true freshman most of the game. It was a great showing but I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL. I was on board with him at the beginning of the process, but not so much now.
Well I feel like his game translates perfectly in Houston's offense. Those short catches that turn into big gains after making the first defender miss is Kubiak's wet dream. He's a great hands catcher, and IMO the best route runner in this WR class. Very precise with his every step, almost Isaac Bruce-like.

Does he have his flaws? Sure. He's not a burner, and could struggle against the press at the next level. Overall I'm still pretty high on Patton. Probably a lot more than most people.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #98
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I feel like his game translates perfectly in Houston's offense. Those short catches that turn into big gains after making the first defender miss is Kubiak's wet dream. He's a great hands catcher, and IMO the best route runner in this WR class. Very precise with his every step, almost Isaac Bruce-like.

Does he have his flaws? Sure. He's not a burner, and could struggle against the press at the next level. Overall I'm still pretty high on Patton. Probably a lot more than most people.
I think he's still somewhat raw as a route runner in my opinion. Not because he's not capable, but I just don't think he was asked to do much in that offense at La Tech. Granted I didn't watch any Senior Bowl practices and I heard he showed a lot in this aspect there. I'm only judging from what I've seen.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #99
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be really happy w/ Hopkins & Dobson. Dobson hasn't gotten much love on here, but he has some really good hands to go along w/ 4.4 speed & good size at 6'3" 210lbs. Getting him later in the draft would be a very nice addition, but I'm not sure that he would last past the 3rd round. 2 WR's in the 1st 3 rounds could happen, but there are needs elsewhere & Im not sure the Texans would pull the trigger after acquiring 2 last season.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #100
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
DE only due to poor hip swivle and probably not a 3-4 OLB. IMO, we cannot spend a first on DE. Needs to bulk up to play DE.
You're putting too much thought into this. The guy was a beast on the field.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read