Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2013   #61
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

Lestar Jean and Keyshawn Martin were never given enough chances to prove themselves.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #62
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Or that Ice is cold??
HA!! Repped!!!
Old 03-21-2013   #63
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Just as an example K.Martin drops a pass we don't see him on the field for 4 games yet when Jacoby goes 1 out of 10 targets in replacement of AJ Kubs stands up for his vet.
I agree. Kubiak doesnt allow his rookies much opportunity if they make a mistake before he puts the hook in them very quickly for long periods of time. Of course, the kubiak fan club will say he's "coaching them up" & teaching them "how to be a pro". I disagree because despite those occasional mistakes, which should be expected from rookies IMO, it removes a potential playmaker from the field & doesn't allow them the opportunity to learn on the field. Kubiak did the same thing to Arian at the end of the 2009 season. Arian showed flashes towards the end of the season, but as soon as he messed up he was benched in favor of the bum C. Brown or fumbling Slaton. The Texans were desperate for any type of running game & instead of giving Arian a true opportunity kubiak benched him quickly & often. When Arian finally got an opportunity at the end of 09 he played well, but the Texans didn't know what they quite had. Ultimately they used a high pick on Tate when it seems they could've used that pick elsewhere if Arian had only been given a better opportunity to prove himself in 09 instead of being benched to be "coached up" or taught "how to be a pro".

You cannot honestly tell if a rookie is capable of playing at high level if they are not given a true opportunity IMO. The opportunities for the young wr's simply hasn't happen that often w/ Walter in the way & Kubiaks quick benching of rookies which goes back to at least Arian. Thank goodness the owner stepped in again to point the HC in the direction in saying a playmaking wr is needed, even if it's rookie.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #64
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Not below 32 degrees F
Shut up, Doc Bar.
Old 03-22-2013   #65
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I want a top draft WR ever trade up if we have to although this is not a very strong WR class imo
Wrong! This is a very good and deep wr class. There will be high quality wrs all the way through round 4. Most of the good wrs were not even high 1st rd picks. The wr corp is more of a collective vs a singular individual. Wheaton,williams,hunter,goodman,patton,and even Rodgers are all 2nd-3rd wr picks who can become very,very good wrs in the nfl.
Old 03-22-2013   #66
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Lestar Jean and Keyshawn Martin were never given enough chances to prove themselves.
Lestar Jean is a #4 WR at best. Let's be real here.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #67
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
From Evan Silva per Mort

@evansilva ESPZn's Chris Mortensen on #Texans: "I assure you they'll add a WR or two in this draft. Somebody that can run & run fast. Highest priority."
2:53pm - 21 Mar 13

Wow, Mortensen is truly an insider, he has an incredible grasp of the obvious.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #68
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
AJ is a borderline HOFer. Pretty rare to find a guy like that, even at the top of the draft, let alone at the bottom of the first. This draft is plenty strong at WR. No AJs or Megatrons, but there is some legit talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Wrong! This is a very good and deep wr class. There will be high quality wrs all the way through round 4. Most of the good wrs were not even high 1st rd picks. The wr corp is more of a collective vs a singular individual. Wheaton,williams,hunter,goodman,patton,and even Rodgers are all 2nd-3rd wr picks who can become very,very good wrs in the nfl.
What rmartin said. Depth is one thing but the top end isn't there. There is a reason AJ, Fitz and CJ were top three picks and that isn't going to happen this year.
Old 03-22-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
As much as I'd love a Tavon Austin or Hunter in the 1st I'm seeing Jarvis Jones falling to us because of his slow 40. I don't care what that guy ran, when I watched him play he was always all over the field. Special talent all around so if he's there I just don't see how we can pass on him. Think he can make a Suggs like impact.
The experts are shocked but none of them believe he'll drop that far.

Casseerly made the connection to Suggs by-the-way.
Old 03-22-2013   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Ive gotta see something in preseason from him...cant wait forever. There's about to be a very brutal competition/numbers game at that position.
I hate to base much off of pre season, since most of the time the (non) starters play with all the back-ups and we all know how sloppy that looks most of the time.
Old 03-22-2013   #71
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Lestar Jean is a #4 WR at best. Let's be real here.
Foster was a 3rd at best one time. You remember that ? Though you might not have said it i dont remember hearing much praise about the guy until he broke out in the last 2 games of the season.
Old 03-22-2013   #72
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Jean makes the 53 this year.

And I was one of his biggest supporters the past two seasons. He would have to produce an amazing preseason to be here.

It's time this head coach got very serious about TE and WR. Schaub can't make up time when the pressure is on him, so he has to have WRs and TEs that can separate at the LOS and lose their man at the snap (like OD used to be able to do).
Old 03-22-2013   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

In our range, I think hunter has the most potential to be that freak #1 receiver. May have to grab him in the first though.

I think there are other guys that can come in and be really good, really productive receivers....maybe even #1 type guys...

But hunter has top ten talent, but just doesn't have the resume. I'm telling you, this guy is legit. He's going to make some team very happy provided they have a halfway decent qb...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #74
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In our range, I think hunter has the most potential to be that freak #1 receiver. May have to grab him in the first though.

I think there are other guys that can come in and be really good, really productive receivers....maybe even #1 type guys...

But hunter has top ten talent, but just doesn't have the resume. I'm telling you, this guy is legit. He's going to make some team very happy provided they have a halfway decent qb...
I have some reservations about Hunter. He's fast but dropped 15lbs before the combine to increase his time, 15lbs is a significant amount of weight. If he adds that back he'll lose a bit of explosiveness. I worked with a young guy trying to make the pro beach volleyball tour. We conducted an experiment where I had him jump with both hands held under his chin to eliminate armswing and his standing jump was 28" then I had him hold a 10lb DB in the same position and his standing jump was 26". That's significant. You can add size and maintain speed, but it can be tricky.

He also has the highest drop amongst the top WR in the draft which is concerning.

I'm also concerned about his non contact ACL injury. I am worried he'll be injury prone.

I want to like him but Im worried.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #75
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I hate to base much off of pre season, since most of the time the (non) starters play with all the back-ups and we all know how sloppy that looks most of the time.
I hear ya, I do to. Problem is when the regular season starts he may not be on the roster anymore.
Old 03-22-2013   #76
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I've seen from Quinton Patton from LA Tech. Definitely wouldn't be disappointed if Houston got him. Though I think I'd be happy with any of the WRs that are grading in the Top 10 in the position this year.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I have some reservations about Hunter. He's fast but dropped 15lbs before the combine to increase his time, 15lbs is a significant amount of weight. If he adds that back he'll lose a bit of explosiveness. I worked with a young guy trying to make the pro beach volleyball tour. We conducted an experiment where I had him jump with both hands held under his chin to eliminate armswing and his standing jump was 28" then I had him hold a 10lb DB in the same position and his standing jump was 26". That's significant. You can add size and maintain speed, but it can be tricky.

He also has the highest drop amongst the top WR in the draft which is concerning.

I'm also concerned about his non contact ACL injury. I am worried he'll be injury prone.

I want to like him but Im worried.
I don't know exactly how much weigh he dropped to run at the combine, but yes, I do have some reservation about Hunter such that I'm hesitant to put him in the first round category.

If I'm a GM, I will have to check out all of those issues (which I'm sure the teams will do, unless you're Al Davis reincarnated, or Jerry Jones... guys like that .)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #78
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.

Where do y'all see him going in the draft?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I don't think I've seen anyone mention DeAndre Hopkins. I know he ran a pretty pedestrian 4.57 at the combine, but followed that up with a 4.41 at his pro day.

Where do y'all see him going in the draft?
Oh, we mentioned about him enough (I think).

Most of us who likes him think he's more of a number 2 receiver though.

He has a good floor, but he doesn't have as high a ceiling as a few others (due to size/speed... you know... the freakish measurables....
Old 03-22-2013   #80
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
I like what I've seen from Quinton Patton from LA Tech. Definitely wouldn't be disappointed if Houston got him. Though I think I'd be happy with any of the WRs that are grading in the Top 10 in the position this year.
Patton is another one with good floor.
He can get separation with a combination of physicality and quickness, but doesn't have the top end speed nor overpowering presence.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read