Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013   #1921
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Ray Lewis called him

Roc: This is Roc!
Ray: My boy Ed wants to wear #20
Roc: But its my number!
Ray: Ill shank you!
Roc: hands over jersey in fear
Heh, a little harsh, but funny stuff
Old 03-22-2013   #1922
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Considering he was an UDFA, thats pretty good that he has still managed to hang around on a roster. There are lots of guys who were drafted in 2009 and are now out of the league.
If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of undrafted free agents are out of the league within a year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1923
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how that worked itself out. Hopefully it was something positive like the Ahman Green/Jason Simmons thing.
Usually, there is money from the vet either to the player directly or a charity (see Green case). as much a goodwill move on the vet's part as anything.
Old 03-22-2013   #1924
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Usually, there is money from the vet either to the player directly or a charity (see Green case). as much a goodwill move on the vet's part as anything.
That's the thing. Reed didn't even know. Ganguli heard what Reed was saying to McNair. So, it was the Texans that took the number. Or Roc offered it up

Quote:
Tania Ganguli‏@taniaganguli16m
"I thought someone else had it. I thought we were gonna have to have a conversation," Reed on this jersey
Old 03-22-2013   #1925
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
At 5 mil guaranteed it tells me if Reed continues his decline HOU can cut him next year with no dead money. I am hoping HOU drafts a S to learn under Reed this year.
Ok so he's only guaranteed $5M but he can earn $6M in the first year.

I'm thinking $5M signing bonus and $1M base.
The $1M base will need to be prorated over the games played; ie. he only earns the full $1M if he play all 16 games.

Or perhaps, there's a bonus for making it to the play-offs?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1926
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Considering he was an UDFA, thats pretty good that he has still managed to hang around on a roster. There are lots of guys who were drafted in 2009 and are now out of the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of undrafted free agents are out of the league within a year.
Yeah, I think Jeremiah Johnson has done pretty well for an UDFA; I remember linking some videos showing his mean stiff arm in his evaluation thread.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1927
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
There's still a remote chance. Reed hasn't put pen to contract - our contract - yet. I think he's still hoping Ozzie coughs up a few more bucks to let him come back to the Ravens.
Ozzie's Philosophy is always "Right player/Right Price".

And he would always rather let a player go 1 year too early than 1 year too late.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1928
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Ozzie's Philosophy is always "Right player/Right Price".

And he would always rather let a player go 1 year too early than 1 year too late.
It's wise to do this right now after a SB win when he pretty much has carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the roster. Nobody is going to howl for Newsome to go because most of the defense left this offseason.
Old 03-22-2013   #1929
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
It's wise to do this right now after a SB win when he pretty much has carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the roster. Nobody is going to howl for Newsome to go because most of the defense left this offseason.
Its more about Harbaugh flexing his muscles than Newsome.
Old 03-22-2013   #1930
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its more about Harbaugh flexing his muscles than Newsome.
They've worked together long enough that I doubt one is doing something without the other really knowing about it.
Old 03-22-2013   #1931
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed to be on NFL Network 6pm central time tonight (March 22).
Old 03-22-2013   #1932
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
3 years. $15 mil. Only 5 million guaranteed. Per Matt Jackson.

If so that is brilliant.

At that price, i always wondered if there were hookers in the private jet, guess i know now.
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1933
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad this is over. Even more relieved at the contract numbers I am hearing. Welcome to Houston Ed!!
Old 03-22-2013   #1934
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
They've worked together long enough that I doubt one is doing something without the other really knowing about it.
Ozzie has been there longer; he would know about it but its still Harbaugh's call.
Old 03-22-2013   #1935
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Ozzie has been there longer; he would know about it but its still Harbaugh's call.
Glad we agree then!
Old 03-22-2013   #1936
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, how can you not be excited as a Texans fan!!

I always sort of dreaded when the Texans played the Ravens because of Ed Reed. I remember the last couple of years telling my buddy how awesome it would be to have a dude of his caliber on the team. News is still sinking in, but wow, this is fantastic.

Last edited by Double Barrel; 03-22-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1937
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reed already worked out with some of his Texan teammates.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1938
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
BTW, he already has the #20. I guess Carmichael just handed it over or something?
They probably just made it for the press conference (that's probably why they were waiting so long to announce it). It's like the Watt or Mario jersey with the #1 on it. Doesn't really mean anything.

OTH, I bet there will be a few days this offseason where Carmichael doesn't have a job if he doesn't agree to relinquish the number.
Old 03-22-2013   #1939
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

"Man, I hope this new guy never runs with the Twos. He'll pick off everything I throw deep. Just like he did in that playoff game."

Signed, T. J. Yates

Seriously, regarding the as-reported contract structure...

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #1940
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I really liked McNair's comments at the press conference. You can tell he's become quite the student of the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read