Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2013   #41
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to go WR heavy in Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I personally am till a big Lestar Jean supportr, and think given a full opportunity he ould become a big time play maker.
Ive gotta see something in preseason from him...cant wait forever. There's about to be a very brutal competition/numbers game at that position.
Old 03-21-2013   #42
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

The major problem with any rookie on offense is that Kubs doesn't trust rookies and will not give them a true chance to play. I can see HOU picking a top WR in the draft and then the kid rides the bench all year and some old vet like Bryant Johnson comes in and gets all the snaps the rookie should have gotten.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #43
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
That 'Ramses' guy from NY is available if im not mistaken. probably cheap, plus dude is really tall and got good hands from what I can remember.

While I completely agree with the idea of selecting a WR in the draft, if an ILB/OLB is rated significantly higher you still go best available in the early rounds. I toyed with the notion of taking the WR in R1, but the team still has holes and cant really get selective like that IMO.

1st rounder gets you Victor Cruz probably. Will there be anything better than him in the 20's? Long shot, but the homerun that could hold down the position for years to come, and you cross that contract bridge when you get there next year, he's locked up for like 3 MILL, while underpaid, if patient and has yet another good year you figure it out in 2014. Not sure what a first round tender is nowadays but im sure its around that ballpark anyways. Lose him get a supplemental the next year, you still draft a project in the later rounds and take a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl for 1 good year, caution to the wind F the future til we get there.

And then I woke up.
There are quite a few guys on the Ramses Barden train. He's relatively young, will come cheap, and is stacked with potential. I can see him making a big impact for us, but I still think we draft a receiver in the first 2 round even with a guy like him on board. I think Jean is the odd man out as much as I had high hopes for him last year. Keyshawn isn't going anywhere until we take Tavon Austin in the 1st. There just really isn't a huge need for him then. That's Jean's only hope if you ask me.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #44
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
There are quite a few guys on the Ramses Barden train. He's relatively young, will come cheap, and is stacked with potential. I can see him making a big impact for us, but I still think we draft a receiver in the first 2 round even with a guy like him on board. I think Jean is the odd man out as much as I had high hopes for him last year. Keyshawn isn't going anywhere until we take Tavon Austin in the 1st. There just really isn't a huge need for him then. That's Jean's only hope if you ask me.
Jean had his shot. Shown he's not really durable, and 1 explosive play every 5 games just isnt enough. If its first round WR or bust, then use the extra 3rd round pick, get creative and get the guy you really want instead of playing catch for whoever's available at the slotted position, that way you're still sending a loud and clear SB message. a 6'6 receiver(Barden-didnt know his last name in first post) would do Matt Schaub some good.
Old 03-21-2013   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think there are as many guys at the very top-end of the draft as in some years but there's a lot of good WRs this year.
Right, I don't see a AJ Green or Julio Jones in this class. But, there are good WRs of all types through 3 or 4 rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm a big fan of Keenan Allen. Produced at Cal despite horrible QB play.
Really hoping Allen slips to the Texans. Maybe there are enough questions about his injury to make WR hungry teams like the Vikings and Rams pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What bro?? Next you're gonna tell me the sky is blue?
FYI, the sun is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I personally am till a big Lestar Jean supportr, and think given a full opportunity he ould become a big time play maker.
Other than a couple of preseasons ago, I haven't seen squat from Jean. JAG, as far as I can tell.
Old 03-21-2013   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
The major problem with any rookie on offense is that Kubs doesn't trust rookies and will not give them a true chance to play. I can see HOU picking a top WR in the draft and then the kid rides the bench all year and some old vet like Bryant Johnson comes in and gets all the snaps the rookie should have gotten.
to be fair we have not had a rookie WR that had a chance to start or force Gary to give him playing time.
Old 03-21-2013   #47
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Jean had his shot. Shown he's not really durable, and 1 explosive play every 5 games just isnt enough. If its first round WR or bust, then use the extra 3rd round pick, get creative and get the guy you really want instead of playing catch for whoever's available at the slotted position, that way you're still sending a loud and clear SB message. a 6'6 receiver(Barden-didnt know his last name in first post) would do Matt Schaub some good.
Ramses Barden 29 catches in 4 years? Has he been injured a lot too?
Old 03-21-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We're going to trade up to get "their" guy.

I think Rick is going to try to look like a real GM, but most people here are going to say the guy he went & got would have been available where we were picking originally, so in the end, we'll have invested valuable assets to move up in the draft, just to move up.
Old 03-21-2013   #49
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
DE only due to poor hip swivle and probably not a 3-4 OLB. IMO, we cannot spend a first on DE. Needs to bulk up to play DE.
You guys who post quite a bit in the college board study a lot more of these guys than I do. I watch a ton on college ball, but not really looking at draft prospects and really analyzing them. I just know what the eye test tells me on him when I've watched him. Some team is gonna get a very motivated player. I personally don't see him as a DE, but I'll defer to you on this one.
Old 03-21-2013   #50
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
to be fair we have not had a rookie WR that had a chance to start or force Gary to give him playing time.
Just as an example K.Martin drops a pass we don't see him on the field for 4 games yet when Jacoby goes 1 out of 10 targets in replacement of AJ Kubs stands up for his vet.
Old 03-21-2013   #51
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not very impressive I know. Wonder how many targets? I do remember he had a huge national game and then didnt do much after. He is a 6'6 monster that seems to possess good hands and maybe just got lost in the wash, as it seemed every week some new 'no name' guy was blowing up for the Giants due to injury's and the such.

edit: after a quick "goog" it does appear that he broke his ankle 2 years back. PUP list the follwing and is probably just about to regain form, which may lead me even more to take a shot with him. Rookie year just didnt see the field. He's not a burner, by any means, wasnt even before the injury (4.6 combine 40 time) but having a dude that big on the team to be able to throw it up to on critical downs is a nice element to have.
Old 03-21-2013   #52
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's a small school guy so to be fair to him his first 2 years were throw aways. He's shown flashes at times this past year, but I'm not sure what his deal is there. Change of scenery might be best ala someone we know, but his skill level and potential jump off the screen watching him.

I remember a guy coaching at Texas State told me when they played him in college to watch out for him. He seemed really clumsy and awkward his rookie year, but it looks like he's finally grown into his body and found his stride physically.
Old 03-21-2013   #53
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just as an example K.Martin drops a pass we don't see him on the field for 4 games yet when Jacoby goes 1 out of 10 targets in replacement of AJ Kubs stands up for his vet.
Martin got plenty of chances early and did nothing with them. He got benched after that horrible fumble against Baltimore, and it was only 2 games. But yeah, when a rookie doesn't produce, drops passes, and fumbles the ball, who can blame the coach for not making sure he gets his reps?
Old 03-21-2013   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The new WRs have GOT to be fast in order to catch up to Schaub's consistent over-throws. Am I right, or am I right?
Old 03-21-2013   #55
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The new WRs have GOT to be fast in order to catch up to Schaub's consistent over-throws. Am I right, or am I right?
GP, you are a half right. It is Over and under thrown.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There are 3 guys that are currently graded very low by both cBS Sports and NFL Draft Scouts (6th round to FA).

One of them might even become a number one receiver.
Their potential is huge.
Their measurables are great.
Their tapes are good (but inconsistent).
Their QBs weren't very good.
Their teams were deep at the WR spots.

Mark Harrison (Rutgers), Rodney Smith (Florida St), and Marcus Davis (Va Tech).

I have no idea why they rated them so low.

I know that Mark Harrison had a head injury in 2011.
So there's the medical stuff to check out; otherwise, I think they are all clean.

At least one of these guys should turn into a solid number two.

Check out their size, arm length, hand size, 40 time, 20ss, 3-cone, vertical and broad jump (both at the combine and their pro day).

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013-nf...ide-receivers/

Marcus Davis is a QB convert; he made Bruce Feldman's (CBS Sports) freak list.
Feldman claimed that Davis was timed as fast as 4.37 at Va Tech and holds the school record in the vertical jump (44").

Last edited by 76Texan; 03-21-2013 at 10:35 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #57
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Z has mentioned Ramses Barden either on the radio or on Twitter a time or two. That's why everyone else is mentioning him.
Barden is a poor man's JJ Stokes. And I wouldn't even really want JJ Stokes himself, much less a poor man's version.
Old 03-21-2013   #58
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Lance Z has mentioned Ramses Barden either on the radio or on Twitter a time or two. That's why everyone else is mentioning him.
Barden is a poor man's JJ Stokes. And I wouldn't even really want JJ Stokes himself, much less a poor man's version.
Never listen to Lance on the radio or read his articles. Not saying that I don't respect his football acumen, but I'm not a follower of his and I doubt "everyone else" is just throwing his name out there because one guy supposedly mentioned him. Never knew Lance even knew who the guy was. Could it be a possibility some guys know that we don't have money to go after a tier one guy and fans see potential because they've actually seen his development? Naw, that's just a crazy idea.
Old 03-21-2013   #59
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Mark Harrison (Rutgers), Rodney Smith (Florida St), and Marcus Davis (Va Tech).

I have no idea why they rated them so low.
They're not rated as highely because they haven't produced as much as other prospects. Similar to Dorin Dickerson, the WR/TE the Texans took in 2010. Great measurables, but never really put it together in college. Then, he didn't put it together in the pros.
Old 03-21-2013   #60
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

People say Kubiak doesn't play rookie WRs which is true, but that's so probably because he doesn't invest much in them as I don't think he drafted one higher than the third round ? Now if he uses a first or second round pick on a WR this year, that will be a different situation especially with so little talent & experience after AJ on the current roster.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read