Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2013   #21
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's the next move for the Texans?

We still need a starting FB, WR, DT, P. We have our starters at both ILB positions and RT coming off major surgeries. On top of that we are one injury away from KEO becoming a starter and that can never happen. We need to address as many of these spots as possible before the draft and hope that we hit a couple out of the park on draft day.

Here is what I would be looking at...

FB - Draft
WR - Draft
DT - Alan Branch, Casey Hampton, and or draft
P - Lechler, Jones, or draft
ILB - Larry Grant, Brad Jones or draft. Also need to sign Dobbins or Ruud.
RT - Ryan Harris and draft
S - Draft
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't know what the final numbers are for Ed Reed....

But if I were to be able to make one more big FA move, I'd bring in Eric Winston. I'd put him on a 2-year deal at about $2.5 million-per and structure it so that we have room for one more middle-of-the-road signing and the rest for rookie salaries and PS guys.

Why Winston?

Because I'd put him at RT and slide Newton inside to RG. I think he fits better at G than T right now. He needs to get things shaped up before manning the edge, IMO, and I like Winston's run blocking more than Newton's. Winston can road-grade on a more consistent basis.

On the left side, I'd have DB at LT, and then Ben Jones at LG, with a platoon of guys working in and out of the G and T positions to spell the starters. Mondek might be a sleeper guy for us in 2013, too.

I think we need a return to 2011 in terms of our right side of the OL.

Winston might be holding out for bigger money than what we could give him. I'm sure his vet minimum is not much less than what we could stand to offer him, which I think he would reject since we dumped him.

BUT...if I were to be able to manageably add another key player to improve this team and know that it's a relatively safe bet...it'd be Winston, if it could happen.

However, more realistically I can see us adding middle of the road talent to keep the cap space healthy enough for us on rookie signings, PS guys, and emergency money at preseason and reg season if we needed it. In other words, vet minimum deals.
Winston is either signed or has agreed to terms with Miami.
Old 03-21-2013   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll be signing several more players. I think we currently only have 50-52 players on the roster. That's a crapload of signings to get that number up going into TC. I reckon a couple few of those might be good enough to stick if we scout worth a darn.
Old 03-21-2013   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
So you are ok with what we currently have at NT?
That list was a minimum expectation based on how I believe the Texans see their needs and reasonable expectations regarding what can be addressed in the draft.

I think they are pretty happy with their DL situation, with 5 returning contributors from last season, including a "co-starter" at DT (Mitchell). They also have some young guys they have hope for... Regardless, I believe they would be comfortable addressing NT depth in the draft (or afterwards).

WR: I just don't believe they want to go into the draft with so little speed and vet... I don't know who they will get, but I'm not suggesting a top tier guy with elite speed... Perhaps someone like D. Henderson or Ted Ginn jr. (not my choices but reasonable possibilities)
Old 03-21-2013   #25
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I'd say it's very likely we bring in a vet WR.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #26
TheGoldenGreek
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the status of Tim Dobbins?
Old 03-21-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenGreek View Post
What's the status of Tim Dobbins?
Unsigned and waiting by the phone, last I heard.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #28
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Perhaps an ILB if they're going cheap as I'm not at all confident that Sharpton will ever contribute meaningful time.

Otherwise, prepare for the draft.
I am not too confident in Sharpton either. If I had to pick one move I would sign Brad Jones. He is a 3 down backer and would allow us to not address ILB in the draft. I would feel really good with Cushing and Jones as our starters and then have Sharpton and either Dobbins or Ruud as our 4th ILB. That would be ideal. We would have two 3 down backers like the 49ers.
Old 03-21-2013   #29
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
I can't wait to see the message board blow up when he is resigned as the "vet WR"!!!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172712 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I am not too confident in Sharpton either. If I had to pick one move I would sign Brad Jones. He is a 3 down backer and would allow us to not address ILB in the draft. I would feel really good with Cushing and Jones as our starters and then have Sharpton and either Dobbins or Ruud as our 4th ILB. That would be ideal. We would have two 3 down backers like the 49ers.
ILBs seem to be the "new RBs" -- value(cost) quickly dropping. Some decent options out there that look better than what we had in '12. Hopefully we can steal one in this buyer's market. May depend on Reed's numbers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I can't wait to see the message board blow up when he is resigned as the "vet WR"!!!
I wouldn't have a problem re-signing KDub. As long as we don't trot him out there as our #2
Old 03-21-2013   #32
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sebastian Vollmer or Brandon Lloyd please!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #33
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ILBs seem to be the "new RBs" -- value(cost) quickly dropping. Some decent options out there that look better than what we had in '12. Hopefully we can steal one in this buyer's market. May depend on Reed's numbers.
Agreed again. At first I thought that that there was no way we could sign Brad Jones. Guy is 27 years old and a proven 3 down backer. Now since the feeding frenzy has subsided I believe that it is a real possibility that we can sign a starter at ILB for a reasonable price. IMO Brad Jones is clearly the cream of the crop but Dansby would also be a massive upgrade. We could probably sign Larry Grant for cheap but I would prefer a proven starter.
Old 03-21-2013   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Winston is either signed or has agreed to terms with Miami.
Ah, thanks.

Have been a bit absence on the Internet the past 48 hours, so I didn't know.

Well, Miami certainly is signing guys up left and right. I think they could be pretty good if Hartline continues his streak of good play. With Mike Wallace added, and a QB a year older, might be pretty good and can challenge Patriots.
Old 03-21-2013   #35
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Ah, thanks.

Have been a bit absence on the Internet the past 48 hours, so I didn't know.

Well, Miami certainly is signing guys up left and right. I think they could be pretty good if Hartline continues his streak of good play. With Mike Wallace added, and a QB a year older, might be pretty good and can challenge Patriots.
I'm not sure if they're ready to challenge the Patriots just yet. Ryan Tannehill had a decent season as a rookie, but he would have to take a big step forward in order for them to even think about winning the AFC East. I would not be surprised if they are a wild card team next season though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #36
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed again. At first I thought that that there was no way we could sign Brad Jones. Guy is 27 years old and a proven 3 down backer. Now since the feeding frenzy has subsided I believe that it is a real possibility that we can sign a starter at ILB for a reasonable price. IMO Brad Jones is clearly the cream of the crop but Dansby would also be a massive upgrade. We could probably sign Larry Grant for cheap but I would prefer a proven starter.
Brad Jones stays with Packers http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ns-to-packers/
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We still need a starting FB, WR, DT, P. We have our starters at both ILB positions and RT coming off major surgeries. On top of that we are one injury away from KEO becoming a starter and that can never happen. We need to address as many of these spots as possible before the draft and hope that we hit a couple out of the park on draft day.

Here is what I would be looking at...

FB - Draft
WR - Draft
DT - Alan Branch, Casey Hampton, and or draft
P - Lechler, Jones, or draft
ILB - Larry Grant, Brad Jones or draft. Also need to sign Dobbins or Ruud.
RT - Ryan Harris and draft
S - Draft
According to my estimation, the Texans should have a couple of MM left (after allowing for Reed, Gardner, and all the draft picks.)

They can sign a mid-level player with that.
They can still sign guys at higher dollar level, since they can always cut another guy later on when they need to reduce the roster to 53.

For example, if they are comfortable with Meyers, Brook, Jones, White (and a rookie) they can cut Wade Smith to have an extra $2M.

However, if they plan to retain W Smith, the Texans would probably be better of signing veterans like Harris and Dobbins to minim veteran deals.

Last year, they didn't sign Demps until the end of March and Dobbins and James until mid April, and Harris was signed after the final cut, so we might not see much if any action for awhile.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Why did he take a one-yr deal?
Will he get a chance to start?
If he doesn't start, how is he going to prove himself for the next contract?
Old 03-21-2013   #39
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
According to my estimation, the Texans should have a couple of MM left (after allowing for Reed, Gardner, and all the draft picks.)

They can sign a mid-level player with that.
They can still sign guys at higher dollar level, since they can always cut another guy later on when they need to reduce the roster to 53.

For example, if they are comfortable with Meyers, Brook, Jones, White (and a rookie) they can cut Wade Smith to have an extra $2M.

However, if they plan to retain W Smith, the Texans would probably be better of signing veterans like Harris and Dobbins to minim veteran deals.

Last year, they didn't sign Demps until the end of March and Dobbins and James until mid April, and Harris was signed after the final cut, so we might not see much if any action for awhile.
Don't they usually leave 4-5 mil in the piggy bank to sign street urchins to replace injured folks?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Don't they usually leave 4-5 mil in the piggy bank to sign street urchins to replace injured folks?
If they don't dole out signing bonus like crazy, all of the contracts are non-guaranteed and can be void at any time. The guys that we currently have on the roster like Hunter, McGee, etc. can be cut any time, so there's no need for additional cap space.

They just need to stay under according to league rules; besides, if the want to they can restructure a contract or two to get more cap space for 2013.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read