Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-21-2013   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Urlacher - does he have anything left for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Urlacher used to be one of the best, if not the best coverage LBs in the league.

For those that struggle with key words, the key phrase in the passage was "used to be."

I'll pass.
Just like the opposing team when they burn him!
Old 03-21-2013   #22
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Just like the opposing team when they burn him!

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #23
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh, you guys are exaggerating. He was not bad in coverage. In fact...not even freaking close. He was graded 3rd best ILB in coverage, had the 5th lowest QB rating against him and had the 11th lowest catch%. So in regards to coverage he blew our guys out the water and was easily above average last year.

It's the run where he was horrid and that would make him a poor fit since those are the downs he would actually be on the field more times than not with the return of Cush.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #24
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Urlacher is solid in zone coverage, he's a space player. He'd be a better fit for Cushing's spot then the other ilb spot. Not gonna happen anyway.
Old 03-21-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Granted. Does not have to be a rookie. Just saying that if all we're looking for is "Mr. Right-Now" then we already have a better option that we're more familiar who we could be trying to bring back.
I'm not talking about a "Mr. Right now" I'm talking about 4 year guys that aren't signing with their original team, for whatever reason. Might be a guy like Wade Smith, might be a guy like Antonio Smith (five years with Arizona). Maybe we'll get lucky & find a Jonathan Vilma.

If we found Darryl Sharpton in the 4th round & he's "good enough" for that position if he could stay healthy, I'd imagine there are several guys out there in FA that fit that bill.

I want someone who is good, but can't break the starting line-up because he's playing behind AJ Hawk, or Jarrod Mayo, or Patrick Willis.
Old 03-22-2013   #26
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
You guys really don't think he'd be better than what we trotted out there last year?
Yeah, I think a gritty vet. like Urlacher could realize that this would likely be he last go around and go all "Deer Antler Extract" Mode for us. I think that Urlacher has enough to the tank to help the Texans Win. I'd be favor of it for a one year deal with him if we could.
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Jarvis View Post
Yeah, I think a gritty vet. like Urlacher could realize that this would likely be he last go around and go all "Deer Antler Extract" Mode for us. I think that Urlacher has enough to the tank to help the Texans Win. I'd be favor of it for a one year deal with him if we could.
Ed Reed plays so far from the LOS, that losing a step doesn't hurt so bad.

But a linebacker, who has to instinctually attack the LOS..... 1st & 2nd down, it's about stopping the run, on third down & passing situations, it's about pass defense or getting after the QB.

Brian Urlacher is an asset in coverage, dropping into a zone, trailing TEs..... but attacking the LOS, possibly filling in for Cushing if he has to miss some time? I'm sorry but there are better options out there.
Old 03-22-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't buy the urlacher sucks against the run stuff. They were top 10 against the run. You aren't top ten stopping the run with a MLB who sucks against the run.

Urlacher shouldn't be anyone's main guy anymore, but I think he's more than capable of playing second fiddle to Cushing. I think our run defense would be fine, and he'd help our pass defense when we are in our base defense. Teams do pass on first and second down and from base formations ya know...

Plus, you can still draft a guy or pick up a free agent. If you have a chance to add Ed reed and Brian urlacher to your defense while they can still play, you do it. Even if they've lost a step...or several steps...you do it...the collective iq of the defense would go waaaaay up, and when you are playing Brady or manning in the play offs it's not as much the physical errors that get you but rather the mental.

If the price is feasible, we need to sign urlacher. Sign or draft another younger guy as well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #29
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
You guys really don't think he'd be better than what we trotted out there last year?

Depends on how much of a cap hit he is, and no he is not better than Brian Cushing.
Old 03-23-2013   #30
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

no we need MLB who can pass cover in the flat ... so yeah
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #31
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not talking about a "Mr. Right now" I'm talking about 4 year guys that aren't signing with their original team, for whatever reason. Might be a guy like Wade Smith, might be a guy like Antonio Smith (five years with Arizona). Maybe we'll get lucky & find a Jonathan Vilma.

If we found Darryl Sharpton in the 4th round & he's "good enough" for that position if he could stay healthy, I'd imagine there are several guys out there in FA that fit that bill.

I want someone who is good, but can't break the starting line-up because he's playing behind AJ Hawk, or Jarrod Mayo, or Patrick Willis.
All I'm saying is if they feel that they need a "Mr. Right-Now" then there are better options available than Urlacher. I get what you're saying and there might be a guy out there who isn't just a stop-gap just waiting to be uncovered. That works too. Better in fact if he exists.

If their plan is to draft a guy and they want insurance in case he's not ready to hit the field on day one then there are a lot of ways to address that which don't involve big, slow, guys with great name recognition. On that we both agree.
Old 03-24-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
All I'm saying is if they feel that they need a "Mr. Right-Now" then there are better options available than Urlacher.
Agree
Old 03-24-2013   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Do none of you remember the Texans-Bears MNF game???

He looked a step behind. All night.

This is a situation that unfortunately happens every year, a guy is done and he doesn't think he's done. He says that he is stronger and has better range right now...due to how last year he was strictly rehabbing and now he's had a chance to really get back to form (but still, who takes a gamble on that for what he's asking???).

The Texans better really draft right. We need ILB, S, and WR. First three rounds, and they better get the right guys at the right spots in the right rounds. Period. This will be the most crucial drafty we've had in awhile.
Old 03-24-2013   #34
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I second this. Ruud played well with the Bucs and I don't see why he can't replicate his successes with the Bucs to the Texans. I would much rather develop what we have and possibly draft one than bring in Urlacher.
i like ruud too . . . he's better in a 4-3, but should be solid next too cushing and hopefully dobbins is back.

personally, i'd go for dansby before urlacher, but there's not a whole lot out there.
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read