Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2013   #41
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shane Lechler to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
We should launch a Twitter campaign like we did for Bodden. Just to confuse the hell out of the guy.
damn, i forgot about those times were we had to reach out to guys like bodden on twitter.

are we a big club now?
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #42
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hartman has since required MULTIPLE knee surgeries..........his career for that reason alone is considered over.
I'm venturing to guess that the Reliant turf was not the root cause of his health issues.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #43
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 50 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

This would be a good pickup. Donnie Jones was horrible in the playoffs.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #44
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
This would be a good pickup. Donnie Jones was horrible in the playoffs.
A lot of people forget that for some reason.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm venturing to guess that the Reliant turf was not the root cause of his health issues.
I don't think it should matter. It's an embarrassment. They should get that field in shape, even if they have to pay out the yin-yang every year. They make enough money & I think the field is an eyesore.

If I were king, I'd have it planned to be swapped out every year at the bye week.
Old 03-21-2013   #46
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pancakes says he expects Lechler to sign here if he passes physical.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #47
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
I expect Lechler to sign with Texans if he checks out physically. They wanted him last time his contract was up.
Old 03-21-2013   #48
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
I expect Lechler to sign with Texans if he checks out physically. They wanted him last time his contract was up.
This should be an OK signing if they don't overpay, but it's still a stop-gap measure to me, and they still need to draft a punter for the long haul IMO. Lechler probably has a couple of good years left in the tank and probably wants to play closer to home, especially since it's a playoff team. So maybe they can get a "hometown" discount. Can't imagine the deal being for more than 2 years.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #49
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114221 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
So maybe they can get a "hometown" discount. Can't imagine the deal being for more than 2 years.
He's been talking about ending his career with the Texans since our franchise started up according to his high school buddy who still sees him occasionally. I think he'll do a discount.
Old 03-21-2013   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to say I'm excited about a punter but I hope we get him signed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #51
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't want to say I'm excited about a punter but I hope we get him signed.
My feelings as well. I don't care much for any kickers, but we have to have them so might as well get the best
Old 03-21-2013   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, the reason the "passing the physical" was mentioned specifically, in the 2012 offseason, Lechler had an "undisclosed" left knee arthroscopy and missed TC on the "non-football injury list." He missed the first 2 preseason games. However subsequently went on to play in the 3rd and 4th and all 16 regular season games quite commendably.

An interesting ESPN piece from August 2012:

Punter Ranks: Shane Lechler No. 1 (the rest of the top rankings are analyzed within the link)
Quote:
Like with kickers, this is not a glamorous position and they are often only noticed when they screw something up. But having a great punter like Shane Lechler or Andy Lee can be a fantastic way to dominate field position with a booming punt or great directional punting to pin the opponent deep in their own end. A great punter can be a defense's best friend. And, for that matter, an offense's too.

Think about it. If you pin an opponent deep with a punt and hold them defensively, you gain field position while your offense sits on the sidelines. Combine a great punter with a big-legged kicker and it can add more than a few field goals to a team's point total by the end of the season.

Unlike with kickers though, punters need to be very good athletes. It can be a huge help with wayward snaps, trick plays and potentially making a game-saving tackle as the last layer of defense. All of those elements figure into the rankings below.
Quote:
Shane Lechler

Lechler is a strong-legged punter who has learned how to be an accurate one as well, trying to hit the coffin corners or getting extra hang time on shorter punts.

He is a right-footed, three-step punter with excellent mechanics and a high follow through. He can speed up his motion when under pressure. He has solid hands and holds for field goals and PAT attempts.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
14/32 in punt average, tied for 13(with 4 others) inside 20. Maybe not below average, but average.

I advocate drafting a punter instead of signing either of them.
Look at the hang time.

That should allow guys to get there a little sooner.

If our guys can get down there a yard or two deeper when the ball is fielded; it should help... Unless they miss the tackle, of course. lOL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #54
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Look at the hang time.

That should allow guys to get there a little sooner.

If our guys can get down there a yard or two deeper when the ball is fielded; it should help... Unless they miss the tackle, of course. lOL
Yep, hang time is important too, and that doesn't really show up in the stats people of have posted.

I also have to say that there is a big difference in the Texans and Oakland offenses. I would imagine that Oakland's offense had Lechler punting from the Oakland half of the field more often than Donnie Jones did, which leads to less chances to down the ball inside the 20. Oaklands offense wasn't as good as the Texans, so I would imagine Lechler had poorer field position in general.

None of these stats take into account the gunners either, who may or may not be quality speedsters that can break out of blocks and make a play on the returnman or the ball. There are a lot of parts to punting that don't show up in those stats, so I have a real hard time saying one is better than the other by simply looking at net yards.

I really really really wish the NFL would make "shanks" an official stat (punts >25 yards), because that is something that doesn't show up in the stat lines. I know Jones only had a couple of these, but I'd like to know how many Lechler had last year.

Anyways, if the price is right, I'm all for bringing in Lechler, I just hope we aren't skipping a 5th round compensatory pick in doing so.
Old 03-22-2013   #55
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Shane Lechler really that much of an upgrade to Donnie Jones?

I think punting was one of our strong spots in the special teams last season.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #56
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post

Donnie Jones was garbage in the playoffs. People have short memories I see.
Old 03-22-2013   #57
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post

It's not even close. The Raiders are my other team and I can assure you Lechler is ridiculously good. HUGE upgrade.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #58
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
It's not even close. The Raiders are my other team and I can assure you Lechler is ridiculously good. HUGE upgrade.
I know Lechler is probably one of the greatest punters of all time. I just hope he doesn't have a drop-off due to his age. Although, some punters, who keep themselves in good shape, have been able to punt into their 40's (Matt Turk) and still do OK. How old is Lechler?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #59
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He sign or is the Reed Watch 2.0?
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #60
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I know Lechler is probably one of the greatest punters of all time. I just hope he doesn't have a drop-off due to his age. Although, some punters, who keep themselves in good shape, have been able to punt into their 40's (Matt Turk) and still do OK. How old is Lechler?
Lechler is 36. Will be 37 in August if I recall correctly. I don't think age is an issue. He could possibly have a good 4-5 yrs left in him as a punter.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read