Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013   #1761
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I thought for sure he'd resign with Baltimore. I only hope he's still got something left in the tank and Rick smith didn't just go Ahman green 2.0 on us.
There's still a remote chance. Reed hasn't put pen to contract - our contract - yet. I think he's still hoping Ozzie coughs up a few more bucks to let him come back to the Ravens.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1762
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Hey, what happened to all the talk about firing Smith, Kubes, etc...? I thought Smith was inept! Not a good GM! What happened?
Uh... I think you answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
As for the contract (16 million over 3 years), I hope it doesn't mess up sigining Cush next year or Watt the year after. Anyone know if these figures are right and how much is guaranteed?
Quote:
Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market
You can't be 100% on board with Rick Smith & believe what you stated in the second half of your post. Blind pigs & acorns are what we're talking about here & how this contract is structured is a big part of whether Smith did a good job or not.

he gets an A for effort. I've criticized him for not being able to sell the Houston Texans as a destination for players who want to do something. Connor Barwin (whom Wade "loves") was signed by the Eagles & will only cost $1.3M towards the 2013 cap, $2.1M towards the 2014 cap. That's a good GM on a team that is backsliding.

Casey just signed a deal where I can't remember the numbers, but it's also pretty cap friendly as well, on the same water treading team.

Quin just signed a deal with a perennial loser that wasn't more expensive than what we should have been offering him over the first two years.

Yeah, there may be reasons why the Texans let those guys go. Back ended deals may not be the best thing for us right now. & losing Quin for Reed... yeah I would have done that as well.

If this team gets to the Super Bowl in 2013, 2014.... then without a doubt Rick Smith is the man. If we start backsliding because we can't field a decent team... well, y'know.
Old 03-21-2013   #1763
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Obviously, our FO think highly of Reed than Quin. Perhaps, Reed fits better in what Wade is trying to do with our D?
I don't know if Reed fits better with Wade. I think we just got tired of watching our team look like deer in the headlights when we played "Aaron Rogers" or "Tom Brady" or when things got real in December.
Old 03-21-2013   #1764
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Isn't the impact related to how the contract is structured moreso than the reported max value? We still don't know for sure how much is guaranteed, how much is signing bonus, and how much is incentive-based.

I would hope that the $4 mil/yr for 3 yrs is all that's guaranteed and the rest of the 16 mil is signing bonus and incentives. Even better would be 4-4.5 mil for two yrs with an option for a 3rd year plus the signing bonus/incentives making up the delta.
I certainly hope so.

This news I woke up to has me a little anxious. When I saw "$16 million over 3 years," I was a little taken aback.

Am hopeful that the cap money is around 4.
Old 03-21-2013   #1765
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

ok so where are all y'all getting these numbers? Radio said Reed is getting a 2 yr contract worth 7-7.5 mil, now I see 3 year 16 mil on this board? Saw one say 6 mil per for 3 years...

When will the true number come out?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1766
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I certainly hope so.

This news I woke up to has me a little anxious. When I saw "$16 million over 3 years," I was a little taken aback.

Am hopeful that the cap money is around 4.
He is not worth that kind of money. Hell, no football player is, let alone Reed. Oh well, it's not my money, and other that a few shirts and hats I don't spend any money on the Texans anyways.

Let 'em overpay the bastards if they wish. If it translates into wins maybe it'll keep me from bitching about it. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1767
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

3 years/16 million???
Old 03-21-2013   #1768
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go to the Superbowl, Reed will be sitting on the bench with a brace on his neck. Great player; NO durability.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1769
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know if Reed fits better with Wade. I think we just got tired of watching our team look like deer in the headlights when we played "Aaron Rogers" or "Tom Brady" or when things got real in December.
Hopefully, addition of Reed can provide us extra time for our front 7 to constantly pressure QB this coming season.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1770
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

$7m guaranteed. A little higher than I wanted them to pay but they can get out of it without putting too much pain on the cap if they need to.
Old 03-21-2013   #1771
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
$7m guaranteed. A little higher than I wanted them to pay but they can get out of it without putting too much pain on the cap if they need to.
I feel better about it now. Not too bad.
Old 03-21-2013   #1772
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That's not bad at all. I was expecting it to be much more than that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1773
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
ok so where are all y'all getting these numbers? Radio said Reed is getting a 2 yr contract worth 7-7.5 mil, now I see 3 year 16 mil on this board? Saw one say 6 mil per for 3 years...

When will the true number come out?
Saw this on an earlier post:

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m
Maximum value of Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is $16 million for 3 years. Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market
Maybe the deal is for 2 years with an option for a 3rd. And, if you heard 7 to 7.5 mil, then maybe it's a front loaded contract, which would make sense if you are trying to sign Cush next year and Watt the year after. They can't tie up too much money long term.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1774
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
While Lechler is the arguably the second best punter in history, he would cost more than Donnie Jones (or whoever) who had a really good season. Think about the future. Think about the salary cap...

That said.... "Gig 'em"! Go Shane Lechler!!!

As an aside Joe, when are you going to hook-up another sprinkler system, identical to what you did at my old place?
As bad as the ST's are Lechler would be a major upgrade. Coach Joe needs all of the help he can get. If a PR is having to fair catch most of the time, problem solved. Can Lechler kick KO's out of the end zone?

Ags = K/P, what's the world coming too?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1775
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope you get what you expect ; Get used to a back pedaling Reed, trying to drag a runner/WR down by his shoulder pads- its a look we saw a lot around here.

He is an ICON, perhaps a GOAT at Safety. Wonderful guy and hard worker. Just not sure he is as good as he once was.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1776
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
If we go to the Superbowl, Reed will be sitting on the bench with a brace on his neck. Great player; NO durability.
He has started every game over the past 2 seasons....
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1777
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If we close out with signing Barden and Hampton before the draft I'll consider this off-season a major win.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1778
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
I really hope you get what you expect ; Get used to a back pedaling Reed, trying to drag a runner/WR down by his shoulder pads- its a look we saw a lot around here.

He is an ICON, perhaps a GOAT at Safety. Wonderful guy and hard worker. Just not sure he is as good as he once was.
We all know he is not as great as he once was. In fact, every team, coach, and owner in the NFL knew that. Thats why he didnt get a 6yr/$45mil deal. He got two years and that was his best offer.

With that being said, he is a huge upgrade over Shiloh Keo which was our starting safety the moment Quin left town. I also believe he is better than any safety we draft at the 27th pick. He will offer experience, locker room presence and coaching abilities to our young DB's and that is worth the money paid. On top of being a play maker still.
Old 03-21-2013   #1779
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
As bad as the ST's are Lechler would be a major upgrade. Coach Joe needs all of the help he can get. If a PR is having to fair catch most of the time, problem solved. Can Lechler kick KO's out of the end zone?

Ags = K/P, what's the world coming too?
Punting wasn't the major problem with our ST's last year. Coverage and blocking were the major bugaboos.
Old 03-21-2013   #1780
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post

You've made that very known and everyone here acknowledges that. Find me one post where someone has said we're getting the old Ed Reed. We get it....... he's lost a step and isn't the player he was when he won DPOY. If he was then its doubtful he'd be on the market in the first place.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read