Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013   #1741
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 116519 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

I thought for sure he'd resign with Baltimore. I only hope he's still got something left in the tank and Rick smith didn't just go Ahman green 2.0 on us.
Old 03-20-2013   #1742
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Ed Reed? Cool.

All this talk about really, really, really needing to draft a safety to learn under Reed, though? Sure, I'd pick one up somewhere in the later rounds, but y'all are forgetting about this cat we have named...

Eddie Pleasant.

A high IQ guy who finds himself around the ball a lot. Believe that.
I think all the talk about drafting a safety is well warranted. This is actually a very rich safety draft. Why not invest in a safety in th3 third or fourth round???

I'm pretty sure that Pleasant won't be around, but they're will be a bunch around, no?

(If I misunderstood your post, please feel free to share)
Old 03-20-2013   #1743
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m
Maximum value of Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is $16 million for 3 years. Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market
From Twitter.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1744
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7521 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I think all the talk about drafting a safety is well warranted. This is actually a very rich safety draft. Why not invest in a safety in th3 third or fourth round???

I'm pretty sure that Pleasant won't be around, but they're will be a bunch around, no?

(If I misunderstood your post, please feel free to share)
Wouldn't hurt to get another one to replace Keo, but Eddie Pleasant is on our PS I believe
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1745
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
All I did was make an observation. I don't have a solution. But it's about time that the Texans hire someone in the front office who does.
You mean a front office that fills in a hole in the defense?

Your the one who brought up the QB.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1746
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

love it. we needed 2 positions on defense IMO - a cover linebacker to pair with cushing, and a centerfielder. reed is that centerfielder. jjo, kareem, and mccain are all man to man corners very fitting for our defense, and manning is better closer to the box ... reed is exactly what we needed roaming over the top and would very much change games like against the pats and packers (our biggest weakness).

question - who are some of the notable safeties to play under wade phillips?
Old 03-20-2013   #1747
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Thanks a lot. It's nice to hear from a fan from an opposing team, especially the Super Bowl champs. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of youse guys for a little while to come.

Drop by anytime.

Shut yer pie-hole. go find a Ravens board ya frig'n troll.

Uh, I mean thank you.
Nice....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1748
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hoping that Reed can stay healthy.

If he can, Reed and Manning are guys that can cause some turnovers.
Old 03-20-2013   #1749
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
reed is exactly what we needed roaming over the top and would very much change games like against the pats and packers (our biggest weakness).
Where is everybody getting the idea that Reed is going to be effective roaming over the top? He was an OLB, and apparently they're converting him. Why? Has he done anything to suggest he knows what he's doing? This is a completely different role and people are just assuming he's going to flourish.

I'm not trying to argue. I legitimately want to know. Did Reed cover a lot more in college?
Old 03-20-2013   #1750
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Where is everybody getting the idea that Reed is going to be effective roaming over the top? He was an OLB, and apparently they're converting him. Why? Has he done anything to suggest he knows what he's doing? This is a completely different role and people are just assuming he's going to flourish.

I'm not trying to argue. I legitimately want to know. Did Reed cover a lot more in college?
I'm sure we're talking about Ed Reed roaming the deep middle.

You're thinking Brooks Reed moving to ILB.
Old 03-20-2013   #1751
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!

Fail!
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1752
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 3m
Quote:
texans reached an agreement in principle tonight on a contract for Ed Reed. Should be official Thursday.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1753
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Old 03-20-2013   #1754
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, what happened to all the talk about firing Smith, Kubes, etc...? I thought Smith was inept! Not a good GM! What happened?

As for the contract (16 million over 3 years), I hope it doesn't mess up sigining Cush next year or Watt the year after. Anyone know if these figures are right and how much is guaranteed?

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 5m
Maximum value of Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is $16 million for 3 years. Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1755
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

That amount of money hurts this signing. I hope the guaranteed money is spent after one year, because I don't trust him to make it through two. Still, it's mind boggling that the front office valued Reed at 5.33m a year for 3 years, yet wouldn't offer Glover Quin the 4.7m a year he got from the Lions.
Old 03-20-2013   #1756
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That amount of money hurts this signing. I hope the guaranteed money is spent after one year, because I don't trust him to make it through two. Still, it's mind boggling that the front office valued Reed at 5.33m a year for 3 years, yet wouldn't offer Glover Quin the 4.7m a year he got from the Lions.
Obviously, our FO think highly of Reed than Quin. Perhaps, Reed fits better in what Wade is trying to do with our D?
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1757
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they highly value him being on a championship team, and the confidence he'll give our players with him being back there.

Quin is the younger guy and is getting better while Reed is declining but i think they think what we're missing is mental not physical.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1758
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what this signing implies to me:

1) Rick Smith is establishing a history of accurately gauging a player's true market value. Many GM's and scouts never develop that sense. Whether he's doing the evaluation or a staff, it is contributing to some shrewd decisions.

2) He will no longer ignore the issue of lacking veteran leadership. He is acknowledging that Andre and Cushing can only do so much.

3) This proves to Andre that the organization is willing to pay an aged, experienced player for his leadership. It makes the case that Andre will one day retire as a Texan.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1759
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't the impact related to how the contract is structured moreso than the reported max value? We still don't know for sure how much is guaranteed, how much is signing bonus, and how much is incentive-based.

I would hope that the $4 mil/yr for 3 yrs is all that's guaranteed and the rest of the 16 mil is signing bonus and incentives. Even better would be 4-4.5 mil for two yrs with an option for a 3rd year plus the signing bonus/incentives making up the delta.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #1760
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Still can't believe Ed freaking Reed is a Texan!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read