Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013   #1701
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Who says this FO doesn't do shyte in the offseason?
I don't think this takes safety off our draft board. Now you draft a safety to learn from Ed Reed, and in two years you'll have a strong backfield.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1702
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very happy if this is true. We need a veteran WR damn it. Drafting a rookie will not give us the immediate impact we need now.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1703
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74785 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...brilliant-move

Mike Freeman likes it:

Quote:
know there are people who think safety Ed Reed is done. They think he's slowed. They think he's hanging on to make cash and pad his legacy. There are those who believe all of that. I am not one of them.

Houston won the Reed derby and they won it big time. I know in texting with one Baltimore Ravens official there is genuine sadness that he's gone. The feeling in that organization is that Reed is still highly effective and now the Texans have him.

Houston desperately needed someone like Reed on that defense. Almost every time I've seen that secondary in a big spot, against a good quarterback, it gets absolutely torched. Tom Brady destroys a lot of secondaries, but what he did last season against Houston is considered a misdemeanor in 15 states.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1704
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations to the Texans for signing Reed.

I remember when we signed Jonathan Joesph and Daneal Manning. That was supposed to get us to the AFC Title Game, or to the Super Bowl. Instead, we have continued to fall short because we of weakness at WR and QB.

That hasn't changed.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1705
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Urlacher is slower than Bradie James at this point. Don't want Urlacher anywhere close to this tea.
thats debateable Urlacher took one to the house this year and still shows flashes, but Im not calling on him to cover Gronkowski, we were weak as hell up the middle last year, and Im comfortable saying Urlacher plays the inside run much better than either James or Ruud. Im assuming that Manning is going to be in the box much more (which i feel is a role he will thrive in) i think between he and Cush (assuming he's back to form) that you can cover up Urlacher's deficiencies. He's probably going to go to an inter division rival, but at this time next year I wouldnt be surprised to see him near 100 combined tackles for whoever he plays for.
Old 03-20-2013   #1706
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I am very happy if this is true. We need a veteran WR damn it. Drafting a rookie will not give us the immediate impact we need now.
i disagree, a 1st round WR is actually a good bet. Youthful legs to stretch out a defense and allow Dre to work the middle. We didnt have that deep threat at all last year (i was counting on Jean, but he was underwhelming) a veteran WR with speed will cost too much for this team.
Old 03-20-2013   #1707
jdschmidt03
noob

We need a solid WR
jdschmidt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1708
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Urlacher? URLACHER????

Not no, but EFF NO!!!!
Old 03-20-2013   #1709
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Congratulations to the Texans for signing Reed.

I remember when we signed Jonathan Joesph and Daneal Manning. That was supposed to get us to the AFC Title Game, or to the Super Bowl. Instead, we have continued to fall short because we of weakness at WR and QB.

That hasn't changed.
So what QB are the Texans gonna sign in FA or Draft that is better than MS?

Is next Sunday the first game of the '13 season? Last I checked free agency and the draft is still to come.

Waaaa waaaaaa Debbie Downer.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1710
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Urlacher? URLACHER????

Not no, but EFF NO!!!!
Urlacher/Cushing? No?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1711
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news that we got him, but I won't be jumping for joy until I see the structure of the deal. If its 4m a year as has been speculated, then ill be very happy
Old 03-20-2013   #1712
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we have any reliable source with the value/length/guarantees/etc. on the contract yet?

I'm excited that Reed will be coming here, and hope he's not washed up (sure doesn't seem like he is). I just hope they didn't massively overpay him and that the contract is set so that he can be cut without much penalty if it turns out he is washed up after all.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1713
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen it written that it is $4 mil 3 yrs.........then Barry Warner on 610 reported this evening that it was $4 mil 2 yrs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1714
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Too much money for a brand name. I think this signing makes us more comfortable with safety then we should be hurting us even more in the draft. Somewhere there's a big sharpee that's been used for the name reed. We still need a safety in the top 4 rounds or so. He's a bandaide.
Nobody is saying he is going to be here for ten years!!!!! This defense lacked veteran leadership last year. Someone to calm their asses down when playing the big games in January. Reed is a leader and his experience in those big games will go further than you think. Of course we are going to draft a safety in one of the premium rounds. And that individual will learn under one of if not the greatest safety to ever play the game. His knowledge of the game is priceless.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1715
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

One quote

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2h

While there were reports of Reed getting in the $4 million range, I would not be surprised at all if its closer to $6M per year
Old 03-20-2013   #1716
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Another

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h

Hearing Ed Reed got as much as $7 million total guaranteed on his two-year deal, per a league source.
Old 03-20-2013   #1717
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Now we need to draft a safety in rounds 3, 4, or 5 to develop while Reed is starting. There would be no better mentor than a future HOFer and one of the best ever to play his position.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1718
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans Sux 72 View Post
So what QB are the Texans gonna sign in FA or Draft that is better than MS?

Is next Sunday the first game of the '13 season? Last I checked free agency and the draft is still to come.

Waaaa waaaaaa Debbie Downer.
OK Debbie, who suggested that they were going to sign another QB? Not I.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1719
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Pending the contract details I just want to say I am proud of this front office for going out and signing a notable free agent. Far too often they have been criticized for not taking chances in free agency. Signing Ed Reed is a gamble that can definitely pay off for us. Kudos to the front office for going out and getting their man.
Old 03-20-2013   #1720
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, whatever he's getting this year, 4 mil or 6, I bet it's structured so that Smith can ****can him next season if he wants to with minimum cap hit.

I'm not jumping for joy over it. 35 years old, passed his prime, draws a lot of penalties, and misses a lot of tackles. On second thought, he should fit right in.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read