Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2013   #61
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans agree to terms with CB McCain

This deal was a nobrainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #62
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

not a huge brice fan after last yr but a great value signing at that price
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #63
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care for McCain too much. He did stupid **** on the field and had a lot of lapses. Meh. I guess if we can't upgrade, might as well keep him.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
not a huge brice fan after last yr but a great value signing at that price
I hate to be the one dissenting opinion, but that's too much money. A million a year would have been too much. I could see them doing $1M/yr maybe one & a qtr.. But once we start getting close to $2M for a nickel when you've got two really good corners & stable of young'ns waiting to prove themselves......

eh.
Old 03-20-2013   #65
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I'd have let McCain walk. I don't think he's more than a #4 corner and I think you can find a rookie corner in the draft that could compete with Harris for the nickel duties.

I like that McCain is experienced, but I just dont believe he's more than back end depth. Not good on the outside at all and he's a bit below avg in the slot. I think he looked better last season because of the teams we faced and the pressure we got.

I think Brandon Harris is a much better player overall and I imagine he'll get the starting nickel spot over him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I think Brandon Harris is a much better player overall and I imagine he'll get the starting nickel spot over him.
What do you think about cutting Keo?

Harris plays the nickel, when we go to dime, Harris takes Demps/Keo spot, McCain comes in to play the slot?

When Reed finally rides off into the sunset, Harris becomes our Reed?
Old 03-20-2013   #67
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Brice McCain was rated 104 out of 113 CBs overall in 2012 (>25% of team snaps.) His coverage rating is what hurt him, putting him at 107th. His rush, run, and penalty ratings were middle of the pack.

Brice's company down that low in the ratings includes Nnamdi Asomugha and Janoris Jenkins.

Brandon Harris did not meet the >25% of team snaps, so we have a smaller sample size and larger population comparison. He rated 167 out of 217 CBs overall ( no minimum playing time.) Harris was middle of the pack in all areas except penalty, where he rated 211 of 217.

Harris equaled K.J.'s penalties, but K.J. did so in 1030 snaps compared to Harris' 177 snaps.

Ratings courtesy of ProFootballFocus.
What I remember seeing is that Harris' penalties were from being aggressive, where KJax penalties were from getting burnt.
Old 03-20-2013   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What do you think about cutting Keo?

Harris plays the nickel, when we go to dime, Harris takes Demps/Keo spot, McCain comes in to play the slot?

When Reed finally rides off into the sunset, Harris becomes our Reed?
I Think the texans have been wanting to try Harris at safety.

I'm fine with cutting keo...never wanted him to make the team and I think Eddie pleasant is a better player.

I like the idea of trying Harris at safety. I love the way he attacks the ball in the air and I think he would have good range and be physical enough for the position.
Old 03-20-2013   #69
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I Think the texans have been wanting to try Harris at safety.

I'm fine with cutting keo...never wanted him to make the team and I think Eddie pleasant is a better player.

I like the idea of trying Harris at safety. I love the way he attacks the ball in the air and I think he would have good range and be physical enough for the position.
Move Harris to safety and have him learn from Reed. Both from the U. Mold that aggressiveness into skill and he'd be a hell of a replacement for Reed in a few years.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
Move Harris to safety and have him learn from Reed. Both from the U. Mold that aggressiveness into skill and he'd be a hell of a replacement for Reed in a few years.
This is what I think we should do. But the chances of the Texans doing it... slim.

Paying McCain like a salty Vet..... that's a lot of money to sit behind a nickel corner. But, imo, Harris played to well to bury him on the bench, not good enough to trade mind you, but it won't make sense to not play him.
Old 03-20-2013   #71
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is what I think we should do. But the chances of the Texans doing it... slim.
I don't know what the odds of that move would be, but the year before when manning got hurt kubiak specifically mentioned Brandon Harris as a potential safety on gamedays. He said he had been working as a safety in practice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris was the third "safety" with McCain being the nickel corner when/if we still use that look.

From a coverage standpoint I think having Jjo, Kareem, McCain, Harris, reed, and manning on the field with Cushing as the lb trumps anything we put on the field this past year by far.
Old 03-20-2013   #72
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Good news just for the fact that Harris moved down a spot and hopefully is gone, he is terrible.
I dunno about terrible. Not good, certainly BUT at least we know that Kilo Sheo (or whatever) is gone.
Old 03-21-2013   #73
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, a little more guaranteed money than I would've liked but I guess we'll see.
Old 03-21-2013   #74
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Paying McCain like a salty Vet..... that's a lot of money to sit behind a nickel corner. But, imo, Harris played to well to bury him on the bench, not good enough to trade mind you, but it won't make sense to not play him.
It seems that with the higher emphasis on passing throughout the league teams are using their nickels a lot more than they used to. I don't know what they tend to get outside of Houston, but I can see how agents and the players will push to get more even if they are just a nickel. I wouldn't be surprised if our nickel is on the field more than our 2nd ILB.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #75
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

McCain was an important signing. Didn't he start two games last year before his injury? He's way better than Harris. Everybody behind McCain is replaceable if you ask me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #76
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I dunno about terrible. Not good, certainly BUT at least we know that Kilo Sheo (or whatever) is gone.
I'm not so sure he's gone. Right now the Texans have Manning, Reed, Demps, and Keo as their Safeties with Pleasant on the PS. If they draft a Safety, and I expect them to, that will give them 6 on the roster for 4 or possibly 5 spots. That 4th, and possibly 5th, spot could come down to who plays the best Special Teams. Also, Pleasant could be stashed on the PS again. Remember, Keo stuck last year when a lot thought he would be cut, so I'm thinking VJ or Marciano must like him for some reason.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #77
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I'm not so sure he's gone. Right now the Texans have Manning, Reed, Demps, and Keo as their Safeties with Pleasant on the PS. If they draft a Safety, and I expect them to, that will give them 6 on the roster for 4 or possibly 5 spots. That 4th, and possibly 5th, spot could come down to who plays the best Special Teams. Also, Pleasant could be stashed on the PS again. Remember, Keo stuck last year when a lot thought he would be cut, so I'm thinking VJ or Marciano must like him for some reason.
Demps needs to go!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #78
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Demps needs to go!!!
Unless I missed something last I checked Demps is a free agent still and not part of the Texans roster.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #79
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see this is either/or or one is better than the other. Given that so many teams play 3/4 WR sets as much if not more than the classic 2-back `1TE set, the needs need as many guys who have cover skills as possible.

Both McCain and Harris will probably take more snaps than a run stuffing NT and maybe the 2nd ILB. Neither played well enough in 2012.

On McCain specifically, I watch only 6 or 7 Texans games from home, so I can't screen shot this, but i think that teams figured out ways to make McCain attempt to cover guys bigger stronger than him. he is good with smaller pure slot Wrs and guys with average talent, but struggles when having to cover guys with even average size (I think at least) and some Wr skill.
Old 03-21-2013   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
This is supposedly a strong S class....if we start the season with Keo on the roster I'm gonna scream.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read