Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Recovering Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Does anyone really know exactly when the surgery took place?

The first thing I saw regarding the surgery was a report dated 3/7 indicating it had happened "In February". That could be anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks after the season was over. 8 weeks would definitely make you question it - 4 weeks not so much.
exactly where I was heading. Of course Newton could have delayed it also.
Old 03-19-2013   #22
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

So tryna sign Eric Winston don't sound all that bad now..
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
From a medical standpoint, is this type of thing a danger to player's career or is it something that if he plays on it, the new damage if any will be correctable by surgery in most cases (not looking at Newton only but all?
Because of the chronicity of the injury, he would have most likely undergone a total graft replacement of the patellar tendon. If he is able to return to play and regain most of his range of motion and strength, there is a very good chance that he could still have a long career. I don't expect that we will know for sure which direction it really takes before mid season.

We don't know for sure if he had any cartilage or other ligament damage/repair, which would make recovery/prognosis that much more unpredictable.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #24
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Disregard.
Old 03-19-2013   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We believe in Newton. If he can progress off what he did last season, he’s on his way to being a good player.”

This is what I have been saying about Derek. Most of our problem came from RG not RT. If Newton had not been injured or was 100% by preseason, I think Gary would go with Gardner as the backup swing. I think Harris is a possible re-sign but he needs to step up if his back allows him. This should allow those mocking an OT in top 3 rounds to go different direction.
Did you not read the first half of that paragraph?

“That’s a concern. If Newton’s going to miss a portion of the offseason. If we started OTAs today (Andrew) Gardner would line up opposite Duane. It’s something we’ve got to continue to look at. Ryan Harris (RT who’s a UFA) played well for us last season, so there’s a possibility we could have him back on our team.
Old 03-19-2013   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Does anyone really know exactly when the surgery took place?

The first thing I saw regarding the surgery was a report dated 3/7 indicating it had happened "In February". That could be anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks after the season was over. 8 weeks would definitely make you question it - 4 weeks not so much.
My best reconstruction of what might have been going on:

If it were closer to 3-4 weeks delay from his last playing time.............it was probably to try to decrease the local inflammation prior to surgery.

If it were closer to 5-8 weeks........you've got to be thinking that they were still trying to conservatively rehab to avoid surgery........found that it wasn't working out well........and rather than continuing to hope misguidedly for a successful outcome, thought we better cease trying that route before he still ends up needing to go to surgery........and it ends up too late to make him a usefull 2013 body.
Old 03-19-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

If it were closer to 3-4 weeks delay from his last playing time.............it was probably to try to decrease the local inflammation prior to surgery.

If it were closer to 5-8 weeks........you've got to be thinking that they were still trying to conservatively rehab to avoid surgery........found that it wasn't working out well........and rather than continuing to hope misguidedly for a successful outcome, thought we better cease trying that route before he still ends up needing to go to surgery........and it ends up too late to make him a usefull 2013 body.
With the Texans medical staffs history, this is entirely possible.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody here how Brooks Reed's surgery went?
Old 03-20-2013   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
So tryna sign Eric Winston don't sound all that bad now..
Absolutely.

Sign him and be done with it, we need the run blocking he provides. Then IF Newton makes it back, he can play G and keep Winston at T. I'd be all over that type of setup, tbh.

LT--Brown
LG--Jones and the rest of the goons
C--Myers
RG--Newton and rest of the goons
RT--Caveman

Done. Cross off OL from the "need" list and address S, LB, and WR in the first three rounds.
Old 03-20-2013   #30
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So Doc, with a successful surgery and no other complications, best guess, how long is a normal recovery for this type of operation? The way you're describing this, he may not see the field for half the season! That could change the Texans draft/FA strategy a bit if they need a good RT.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #31
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Absolutely.

Sign him and be done with it, we need the run blocking he provides. Then IF Newton makes it back, he can play G and keep Winston at T. I'd be all over that type of setup, tbh.

LT--Brown
LG--Jones and the rest of the goons
C--Myers
RG--Newton and rest of the goons
RT--Caveman

Done. Cross off OL from the "need" list and address S, LB, and WR in the first three rounds.
If they are going to sign him it's going to take some luck and they will have to "wait out the market" so to speak. Texans can't sign him for the big $$$ he wants, and is probably looking for right now, so they will have to wait and hope no one else offers him a big deal. I don't think they would want a long term deal either since they are trying to free up money for signing Cush and Watt in the next couple of years. If, and it's a big IF, they can get him cheap for a year or 2, then I think they will do it. Otherwise, I think they look somewhere else.
Old 03-20-2013   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
If they are going to sign him it's going to take some luck and they will have to "wait out the market" so to speak. Texans can't sign him for the big $$$ he wants, and is probably looking for right now, so they will have to wait and hope no one else offers him a big deal. I don't think they would want a long term deal either since they are trying to free up money for signing Cush and Watt in the next couple of years. If, and it's a big IF, they can get him cheap for a year or 2, then I think they will do it. Otherwise, I think they look somewhere else.
Does anbody else get the feeling that football isn't all that important to Winston, in addition to him being a bit of a clubhouse lawyer. I think it's time to move on from Winston. The draft is full of up and coming OT's, re-sign Harris, hopefully Newton will make it back. This is the cheaper way to go also.
Old 03-20-2013   #33
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 6952 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Does anbody else get the feeling that football isn't all that important to Winston, in addition to him being a bit of a clubhouse lawyer. I think it's time to move on from Winston. The draft is full of up and coming OT's, re-sign Harris, hopefully Newton will make it back. This is the cheaper way to go also.
Unless Winston is a one-year stop-gap signing, I completely agree with you. Everyone has a tendency to look back on Winston's time here and forget he had his issues in pass protection. Now, the line has worsened (IMO with Wade Smith's rotting corpse on the left side) and Winston isn't getting any younger.

Winston is not the long term answer on the right side of the line, but he's better than anything we have at the moment.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
So Doc, with a successful surgery and no other complications, best guess, how long is a normal recovery for this type of operation? The way you're describing this, he may not see the field for half the season! That could change the Texans draft/FA strategy a bit if they need a good RT.

You might remember Cushing had patellar tendon surgery in Jan of 2011 and was not ready for the field until August. Return to play for isolated patellar tendon rupture is usually around 6 months. As is common sense, it takes more time than that for return to "close to" preinjury performance if it is going to be attainable. Recovery for "big men" like Newton would tend to be more difficult.
Remember in the study I quoted, 19 of 24 returned to play in the NFL. Also remember that 1 of the those 19 returned only for ONE game........so you could technically say that 1 out of 4 players never came back to play. Like I said before, the Texans better not let themselves be blind-sided by taking anything for granted re. Newton's presence in 2013.
Old 03-20-2013   #35
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You might remember Cushing had patellar tendon surgery in Jan of 2011 and was not ready for the field until August. Return to play for isolated patellar tendon rupture is usually around 6 months. As is common sense, it takes more time than that for return to "close to" preinjury performance if it is going to be attainable. Recovery for "big men" like Newton would tend to be more difficult.
Remember in the study I quoted, 19 of 24 returned to play in the NFL. Also remember that 1 of the those 19 returned only for ONE game........so you could technically say that 1 out of 4 players never came back to play. Like I said before, the Texans better not let themselves be blind-sided by taking anything for granted re. Newton's presence in 2013.
We have both our starting ILB coming off season ending injury and it does not seem that we are too interested in signing a FA ILB. I would be really surprised if we don't draft an ILB in the first two rounds. Will also be interesting to see what we do at RT because of Newton's surgery, especially if we don't resign Harris. We have take care of 2 of these positions in FA because as of now we have too many holes...S, ILB, RT, NT, WR.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 03-20-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: grammar, every time...damn.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #36
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
We have both our starting ILB coming off season ending injury and it does not seem that we are too interested in signing a FA ILB. I would be really surprised if we don't draft an ILB in the first two rounds. Will also be interesting to see what we do at RT because of Newton's surgery, especially if we don't resign Harris. We have take care of 2 of these positions in FA because as of now we have too many holes...S, ILB, RT, NT, WR.
Well, scratch Safety from the list. They just signed Ed Reed! Although, I do think they will still draft one in the mid rounds to learn under Reed and Manning. That leaves ILB, RT, NT, and WR. I think they will cover these in the Draft. Out of those positions I think WR is needed most, then either RT or ILB. But, with the injuries at both positions, we will have to get at least 1 at each spot for depth. Another major injury at any of those 4 positions could be the end of the season if they don't cover these in the Draft early. And, it just so happens the Texans have 4 picks in the top 100!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read