Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2013   #41
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans agree to terms with CB McCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Brice McCain was rated 104 out of 113 CBs overall in 2012 (>25% of team snaps.) His coverage rating is what hurt him, putting him at 107th. His rush, run, and penalty ratings were middle of the pack.

Brice's company down that low in the ratings includes Nnamdi Asomugha and Janoris Jenkins.

Brandon Harris did not meet the >25% of team snaps, so we have a smaller sample size and larger population comparison. He rated 167 out of 217 CBs overall ( no minimum playing time.) Harris was middle of the pack in all areas except penalty, where he rated 211 of 217.

Harris equaled K.J.'s penalties, but K.J. did so in 1030 snaps compared to Harris' 177 snaps.

Ratings courtesy of ProFootballFocus.
No surprise on McCain having a bad rating. It was obvious at times this past season that he was struggling even in the slot position & not playing nearly as well as he did in 2011. So somebody's silly assumption that it was just my "THOUGHT" can now see it was FACT. Watching a game or 2 & doing a little research can go a long way. Just a THOUGHT. Lol!

The penalties is the area for concern w/ Harris IMO. He did seem to get untimely penalties that were costly. I believe that is something that can be fixed. Harris played aggressive & made plays on the ball & that is what got him on occasion. With additional playing time I think the penalties improve because he can learn what he can & cannot get away w/ the refs. That type of knowledge is primarily gained by being on the field. Most know that cb's have to get physical, but they have to know the limits or be penalized...that's Harris' problem IMO. I liked how he played physical & was normally in position to make plays on the ball. He showed some decent awareness by normally being in the area to make a play & was effective at times against the likes of Welker & Wayne. Those are some qualities that eluded both McCain & Kareem early in their careers.

As I said before, writing Harris off as a bust after only 2 seasons w/ very limited playing time is shortsighted & foolish IMO. With the "2 seasons & done" thought process, McCain shouldn't even be talked today because according to some of y'all he, & KJ for that matter, should've been deemed busts & gone by now. Once again, a double standard that makes absolutely zero sense IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

If McCain starts over Harris, I'd be surprised.
I was about to post the same thing.

Harris is a better player than Brice McCain, but it doesn't hurt to have McCain as insurance.

Brandon Harris looked good last season. It was his first significant playing time and he made some nice plays. He's more physical than McCain and I think he's got more playmaking ability. He made his fair share of mistakes, but again it was almost like his rookie season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #43
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Im usually a stat guy but im going with what I saw on this one. I agree its way to soon to call harris a bust but I saw him giving up alot of big plays and extending big drives at the end of games towards the end of the season when our D was falling apart.

This is a good signing. Three years is no long term commitment and by the end of that contract we will know what Harris is worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #44
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I was about to post the same thing.

Harris is a better player than Brice McCain, but it doesn't hurt to have McCain as insurance.

Brandon Harris looked good last season. It was his first significant playing time and he made some nice plays. He's more physical than McCain and I think he's got more playmaking ability.
Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes people look at a couple of interference penalties, because it is something easy to latch onto.
Old 03-20-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't have too many decent CBs, especially when they showed potential.

Forget about the rating; a lot of the CBs on the list don't play man anywhere near often as our guys.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #46
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

As cool as it is to take shots at our draft classes (affectionately known on TT as: "The Offseason"), is it cool if we at least wait 3 years to determine if they are "busts" or not? IIRC, Wade wasn't in the draft room until the 2011 draft, so I think we can justifiably rate that 2011 class at the end of this season.

Or you can just be upset that the front office didn't overpay on every FA out there and land our team in the "Casserly" circle of Cap Hell. I know most of you like big splashy names that don't live up their contracts, so I'm going to guess that most of you will take this choice.

Carry on...just passing through...
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #47
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

We can't really call this a good or bad signing until we see the numbers. Have they been released yet?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
The penalties is the area for concern w/ Harris IMO. He did seem to get untimely penalties that were costly. I believe that is something that can be fixed. Harris played aggressive & made plays on the ball & that is what got him on occasion.
I believe that is exactly why he got so many penalties (& I wonder if they counted his special teams penalties as well), but I don't know that they need to be "fixed"

The two that I think were most costly to us was the PI on Welker. They were about 5-6 yards from the LOS, Welker initiated the contact by running into Harris, then tried to turn & run back the other way. Harris didn't allow him to do that. I don't think that call is made 7 out of 10 times. Even though the ball is in the air, anything close to 5 yards usually get's "overlooked"

It sucks that the penalty was called, by letter of the law, he was guilty & they got a 1st down out of it. But had he not done what he did, Welker was just as likely to break that little dump off for a 20 to 40 yard gain & maybe even a TD.

Same thing with the one he got against Reggie Wayne. Reggie got into Harris then tried to get separation by pushing off. Harris didn't let him. We got a penalty, they got a 1st down for a pretty big gain, but again, it could have been a TD on a push off that normally isn't called. We got a raw deal on that one, but it's a penalty I want my guy to take every time. Simply because they rarely call OPI to the letter of the law.

If you remember what Quin looked like when he played CB for us, that's what Harris reminds me of, only more athletic. He's like a bulldog, he won't back down & he's going to be in your face all day. He's going to get his hands on the ball & next year, because he's more comfortable with game speed & all that, he's going to catch a lot of those balls, where that's just not Quin's game. He'll knock a lot of balls down, but he's not going to catch a whole lot of them.

Anyway, I'm very excited to see what we got in Brandon Harris.
Old 03-20-2013   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The two that I think were most costly to us was the PI on Welker. They were about 5-6 yards from the LOS, Welker initiated the contact by running into Harris, then tried to turn & run back the other way. Harris didn't allow him to do that. I don't think that call is made 7 out of 10 times. Even though the ball is in the air, anything close to 5 yards usually get's "overlooked"
Right now Harris' infractions are far too blatant and going to get consistently called. Somebody needs to tuck him into a room with Aaron Glenn footage to learn how you get away with contact. Glenn was a master at minor contact/arm fighting.
Old 03-20-2013   #50
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1758 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news, good player.
Old 03-20-2013   #51
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great under the radar move.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #52
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
As cool as it is to take shots at our draft classes (affectionately known on TT as: "The Offseason"), is it cool if we at least wait 3 years to determine if they are "busts" or not? IIRC, Wade wasn't in the draft room until the 2011 draft, so I think we can justifiably rate that 2011 class at the end of this season.

Or you can just be upset that the front office didn't overpay on every FA out there and land our team in the "Casserly" circle of Cap Hell. I know most of you like big splashy names that don't live up their contracts, so I'm going to guess that most of you will take this choice.

Carry on...just passing through...
That's not the way things are done around here! You should know that by now HoP! If they haven't shown anything after the 1st year, they're a BUST! Kubes, Smith, McNair, etc... don't know what they're doing and should be fired for keeping them any longer!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Per McGobbler

Quote:
John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL1m
Brice McCain 3 year deal: $5.25 million, $2.25 guaranteed.
Old 03-20-2013   #54
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

That looks very reasonable.
Old 03-20-2013   #55
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Way less then what his agent was trying to get.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
That looks very reasonable.
I think so too.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #57
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Per McGobbler
That's a damn good deal especially if he continues to progress.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #58
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Good deal, I bet it's structured so that third year is worth 3 million. 2 years 2.25 million sounds great to me, especially considering this won't affect our compensatory picks for next year.
Old 03-20-2013   #59
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Good deal, I bet it's structured so that third year is worth 3 million. 2 years 2.25 million sounds great to me, especially considering this won't affect our compensatory picks for next year.
I don't think the texans could have done much better then that...
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #60
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very pleased with this deal w/ McCAIN.
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read