Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013   #1561
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
Reed just wants the ravens to stroke his ego. He will take less money to return to the ravens when its all said and Done. He has ratbird DNA embedded in him!
yep. This is what I believe, as well. The Texans had the stink of desperation on this one. Reed is playing Houston to sweeten a deal with Baltimore. I won't speculate if he was seriously interested in coming here, but it would not surprise me at all if he never had any intention of being a Houston Texan.
Old 03-20-2013   #1562
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep. This is what I believe, as well. The Texans had the stink of desperation on this one. Reed is playing Houston to sweeten a deal with Baltimore. I won't speculate if he was seriously interested in coming here, but it would not surprise me at all if he never had any intention of being a Houston Texan.
Baltimore is playing Reed too. If they sign Huff, then Reed isnt going back.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1563
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Baltimore is playing Reed too. If they sign Huff, then Reed isnt going back.
They aren't signing Huff until Reed decides. They are just using Huff to lower the price on Reed. Huff would cost what, maybe 2-3m a year? They are going to say to Reed's agent, "we can get Huff for 2.5m a year for 2 years, but we're willing to give you 9m for 2 years." Give him one last chance and force him to decide. Right now, the Ravens haven't shut the door on Reed, so he's still hoping he can get more out of them.
Old 03-20-2013   #1564
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
They aren't signing Huff until Reed decides. They are just using Huff to lower the price on Reed. Huff would cost what, maybe 2-3m a year? They are going to say to Reed's agent, "we can get Huff for 2.5m a year for 2 years, but we're willing to give you 9m for 2 years." Give him one last chance and force him to decide. Right now, the Ravens haven't shut the door on Reed, so he's still hoping he can get more out of them.
I'd like for the Texans to sign somebody before Reed signs with the Ravens. Or at least formally announce that we are no longer interested. Whatever it takes to help the Ravens stick it to him and lowball him.

(Not really as I think he'll be a good addition here)
Old 03-20-2013   #1565
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Then the Texans need to start meeting with other free agents like Baltimore is doing. Reed thinks he holds all the leverage because the Texans havent met with anyone else.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1566
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how the texans are desperate. They are courting a guy they want. They aren't openly bending over backwards and giving in to his every desire...

Do they want reed?

Sure.

But that doesn't mean they're desperate.

When you are going after someone you like and you do nice things for them that doesn't make them desperate. Just means you like them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1567
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not protecting Reed or anything but, football is player's profession right? Just like you and I almost all of us have job (some maybe already retired or some are student and do not have a permanent job) whatever that occupation would be. What I am trying to say is don't we all try to make much income as possible to have a good life? This is what Reed is doing. Trying to maximize his income while he can as he is nearing an end of his career.

Our FO invited him to come to Houston for contract negotiation and Reed came here to see what Texans' FO got to offer and an offer he received wasn't what Reed expected. So naturally, Reed was interested in other option to see if there's better offer out there and at the same time, he can figure out his current value. Once all he sees all the cards, he will choose his preferable team. Especially this would be Reed's last dance and I can understand he wants to make sure to see every available option.

You see, buyers like bargain and sellers like more profits. It is all business.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1568
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't see how the texans are desperate. They are courting a guy they want. They aren't openly bending over backwards and giving in to his every desire...

Do they want reed?

Sure.

But that doesn't mean they're desperate.

When you are going after someone you like and you do nice things for them that doesn't make them desperate. Just means you like them.
I agree. And if the reports of the 3-yr, 12 mil offer are accurate, that's a good deal for us... especially if that 3rd year is optional.

but, personally, I'd just as soon spend the cash on Dumervil....

...or maybe Brandon Lloyd...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1569
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Then the Texans need to start meeting with other free agents like Baltimore is doing. Reed thinks he holds all the leverage because the Texans havent met with anyone else.
I agree 100%. This will at least allow the Texans an opportunity to show others they are interested & take the ball out of Reed's court some. It seems he's holding up the process in hopes of getting something better & the Texans seem to be allowing it as other options are being signed away. Baltimore seems to be doing the smart thing by having other options ready while the Texans FO is...well...being the Texans.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1570
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I agree 100%. This will at least allow the Texans an opportunity to show others they are interested & take the ball out of Reed's court some. It seems he's holding up the process in hopes of getting something better & the Texans seem to be allowing it as other options are being signed away. Baltimore seems to be doing the smart thing by having other options ready while the Texans FO is...well...being the Texans.
The Texans did the very thing you're criticizing them for not doing with Namdi, whose to say they're not doing it again right now with Reed? Many fans complained they were putting all their eggs in one basket with Namdi then out of the blue we signed JJoseph and Manning. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happened here. Despite what many here think Smith isn't stupid
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1571
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be happy when this thread drops off the first page...

michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1572
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
The Texans did the very thing you're criticizing them for not doing with Namdi, whose to say they're not doing it again right now with Reed? Many fans complained they were putting all their eggs in one basket with Namdi then out of the blue we signed JJoseph and Manning. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happened here. Despite what many here think Smith isn't stupid
I think it's only normal to be impatient.
After all, people just want to see their team get better.

A GM is going to be criticized no matter what; it goes with the territory.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1573
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I agree. And if the reports of the 3-yr, 12 mil offer are accurate, that's a good deal for us... especially if that 3rd year is optional.

but, personally, I'd just as soon spend the cash on Dumervil....

...or maybe Brandon Lloyd...
They are all optional for us, but not for Reed. The only thing that's not optional for us is the guaranteed coin, and don't know how much of that 12 M is guaranteed ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1574
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Agreed. Hell, I want us to pick up some players to fill some needs as well. I just think fans should wait until the process is over to criticize the FO
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1575
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I'm hoping you are right, but have you read anywhere that another FA has been contacted or on a visit here. I know I haven't. FA visits or contact w/ them is hardly top secret. Its normally reported on who is talking to whom & that simply isn't happening much w/ the Texans. It could be happening again & time will tell, but I don't think missing on Reed while other quality safeties are signed away & going to a fallback option such as Sensabaugh is a grand master plan that falls in line w/ the JJo Manning signings.
Old 03-20-2013   #1576
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I'm still upset that I had to learn to spell Nnamdi Asomugha....
But it brings you one step closer to being a citizen of the world.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #1577
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wished we could sign a couple FA at other positions like ILB and Nose.
Old 03-20-2013   #1578
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wished we could sign a couple FA at other positions like ILB and Nose.
I don't think they consider NT a need as far as a starter. I think they believe Mitchell can be just as effective as Cody & they were satisfied w/ Cody for the last few seasons. Not saying I agree, but I do think Mitchell can at least equal Cody's production if not produce slightly more.

I also believe that they believe a healthy Sharpton could be a decent option at ILB. I like Sharpton when he is healthy, but he seems to be bit by the injury bug quite often. I dont trust his health & wish they would look at other options as well, but this is the same group that thought James was a worthy starter so going in w/ an injury prone Sharpton wouldn't surprise me.
Old 03-20-2013   #1579
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I agree 100%. This will at least allow the Texans an opportunity to show others they are interested & take the ball out of Reed's court some.
I really find it odd that Woodson hasn't come in yet. I thought he was scheduled for Friday (thought I heard/read that somewhere).

We should at least announce that Woodson is scheduled to come in this week & Bob is fueling up the jet.

Tell Reed to sh1t, or get off the pot.
Old 03-20-2013   #1580
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

No, I think the big difference here, is that Reed is not the top rated safety available, Nnamdi was the top CB.

No one was signing the other top CBs before Nnamdi, Ike Taylor was still out there, Jjoseph was still out there, & there was someone else.

As soon as we signed Jjoseph, it seemed the dominoes started to fall & the other corners started signing.

This time, the fans aren't even expecting the top safety, they'd have been happy with Huff, Landry and a few others who were already signed.... Quin. We're giving Reed, & even Woodson if it comes to that, the benefit of the doubt, even though they're older than dirt (apparently there's a bunch of 34 year old dirt out there).

So, I don't think it's impatient, all the decent talent is being signed while we wait.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read