Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013   #1
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Well folks the results are in. Despite many around here hoping for 3-4 compensatory picks, the Texans ended up with 2(3rd round and 6th). So, in honor of that, its time for yet another Doppelmock!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together!!!

TRADE: Texans trade #27 to Philadelphia Eagles for Eagles 2nd and 3rd round selections.

Yes, I know you can't predict trades, but in my Texans universe, the Texans make a trade.
27. Philadelphia Eagles: E.J. Manuel. QB, Florida State, 6'4, 237lbs, 4.61.

Philly is desperate for a QB to run the Chip Kelly offense. The best one to do that may be E.J. Manuel. Manuel has a strong arm and great measurables and looks to be a late first early 2nd selection. Philly jumps back up into the first round to make sure they get their guy and that other teams don't jump in ahead of them and grab him. Giving up their third rounder as well as second may sound high, but if they get the franchise QB they desire, price is reasonable.

2.(Eagles) Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee, 6'4, 196lbs, 4.41
The Texans have needed a big time WR prospect next to AJ for years. This year, there are many good WR options. While most of them look like solid #2 candidates, only a couple of them look like potential #1s. Hunter is one of those who has the potential to be a #1 WR in the NFL. He is a big receiver, has great hands, is a route runner, and as demonstrated in the draft the speed is back. He also comes across as a good guy who would be a great fit in the Texans locker-room. He is the kind of guy who could learn from AJ how to be an elite NFL WR. In 2-3 years, he will be ready to be the #1 receiver as AJ transitions into a #2. The more I see of him, the more I think he is the pick.

2 (Texans) Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut, 6'1, 241lbs, 4.57
High level pass rusher to replace Barwin. 42 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss, 11.5 sacks and 1 fumble in 2012. In 2011 he had 12.5 sacks, 15 tackles for a loss, 43 tackles and two forced fumbles. Initially he starts as a Can play ST and be a situational pass rusher as he gets a little bigger and works on run D. As time goes along he will join in on the pass rush with Reed and WM from the OLB spot.

3(Eagles) Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5, 342lbs, 5.44
A behmouth who will play the traditional load bearing NT role. He would be an excellent run stopper and can help collapse the pocket. Due to his size, he may only be able to go as a part time player for now. But he should be able to start from Day 1 on first/2nd down. He probably will need to slim down to about 325-330lbs or so in order to be a 3 down NT.

3(Texans) Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida, 6'1, 245lbs, 4.61
Sometimes people just overthink things. There are lots of things to ding Bostic for: he didnt live up to hype coming out of school, he was not the next big thing, he is overrated, he is not Brandon Spikes, etc. At the end of the day, he is a very good #2 ILB in a 3-4 defense. In 2012 he had 68 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 forced fumble and 3 sacks. In 2011 he had 94 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble. In 2010 he had 57 tackles with 2.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and three interceptions. He has good lateral speed, can tackle, has hands,

3(Compensatory )Chris Jones, DL, Bowling Green, 6'2, 302lbs, 5.33
A sleeper gap DL that Wade may like. He is a very nice pass rusher who could slot in at NT or3-4 DE. He gives Wade options and can help mix up defensive looks to confuse the offense. A very nice pass rusher from the DL spot. 12.5 sacks, 42 tackles, 19 tackles for a loss, and 2 forced fumbles in 2012. In 2011 he had 47 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 8.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. As a sophomore he had 39 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss, 6 sacks and 1 fumble. For right now, he probably would do best on ST/competing with coming in for Geathers on passing situations. He needs to work on run defense and get bit stronger. In the future he could relieve Watt and/or Smith as a depth player and would be able to play any position on the DL. Having someone who can play DE or NT creates potential mismatches.

4.Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State, 6'0, 207lbs, 4.44

As we learned in Pulp Fiction, you don't argue with or bet against The Wolfe!!! All joking aside, he is a great choice in this spot. A fantastic safety prospect to develop for a year before getting throwing to the...no, I am not going there! He has good hands, speed, and tackling ability. Right now, he needs to work on deep over the middle pass coverage. In time he can develop those skills. If not, slide him over to CB as he has the size, speed, and pass defense to excel there too.

5. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama 6'5, 269lbs, 4.80
The Texans have a plethora of smaller quick pass first TEs. What they don't have is an elite blocking TE. Williams is the kind of player this scheme needs. After a less then ideal combine I think he settles into this spot. He is primarily a blocking TE with solid hands. Blocking TEs don't go high in the NFL, becuase they tend not to be td producers. Williams immediately starts in certain packages as an additional blocker and will pay dividends in the passing and running game. As his hands improve, the can design a play or two for him every other game to keep defenses honest.

6 (Texans) Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia, 6'5, 308lbs, 5.45.
Man did his stock fall. Once thought of as a borderline first/second round selection he has plummeted all the way into the 6th round. He put up a low amount of reps and was rather slow in his 40 time. This suggest weakness and a lack of athletic ability. Still, he played well this past season. He showed good footwork, his pass protection was fantastic, and his run blocking has really come along. I will take a chance on him here. in the 6th round. The guy I saw at Virginia looked to me like a good RT prospect and possible starter. I know he didn't test well, but I think his production on the field of play outweighs what he does in shorts and a tshirt.

6(Compensatory) Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech, 6'2, 215lbs.
The 2 time (2011 and 2012) Ray Guy award winner is just what this team needs. If yall have seen my mocks before, you know what I think of Donnie Jones. Upgrade here offers $ discount and quality upgrade.

7.Zach Boren, FB/LB, Ohio State, 6'0 252lbs, 4.79

With the loss of Casey, the Texans need a FB and I think it would be a better idea to go back to a true old school FB rather than a hybrid. While Kubes likes the versatility of Casey, he doesn't throw him the ball all that often. Having a superior run blocker is better than having a superior athlete. Boren can open up holes for Foster, Tate, or the other RBs. In addition, Boren previously played as a LB and could also be used as a LB. He can step right into the ST and starting FB role right away. He could become an emergency depth LB if needed. Too much upside with him not to grab him here.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #2
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,867
Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

First problem I see is you seem to be rating Manual higher than other evaluators. NFL DraftScout has him #51 which should easily place him there for Eagles high second round. Rantsports.com mock by Langley McGhee has him going to Eagles in third. I like your trade just not for Manual.

Eagles needs seem more to be Nose which hurts Texans, safety and OT only if Winston is not signed. With FA signed they could go BPA in first (CB?) and still get QB in second with no trade up.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #3
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
First problem I see is you seem to be rating Manual higher than other evaluators. NFL DraftScout has him #51 which should easily place him there for Eagles high second round. Rantsports.com mock by Langley McGhee has him going to Eagles in third. I like your trade just not for Manual.

Eagles needs seem more to be Nose which hurts Texans, safety and OT only if Winston is not signed. With FA signed they could go BPA in first (CB?) and still get QB in second with no trade up.
QBs tend to jump up boards even is perceived value is not there. Its a reason Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and Blaine Gabbert go in the top 12 picks in 2011. Maybe I am undervaluing Manuel and maybe he goes in the middle of the first round like Leftwich.

If Manuel is there at the end of the first round and the Eagles covet him, they may need to make the move. While he is not the same type of QB as Kaepernick, SF showed that a spread offense QB can work. As such they may need to trade up to make sure another team doesn't grab him first?
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,251
Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
First problem I see is you seem to be rating Manual higher than other evaluators. NFL DraftScout has him #51 which should easily place him there for Eagles high second round. Rantsports.com mock by Langley McGhee has him going to Eagles in third. I like your trade just not for Manual.

Eagles needs seem more to be Nose which hurts Texans, safety and OT only if Winston is not signed. With FA signed they could go BPA in first (CB?) and still get QB in second with no trade up.
There evaluation isn't gold. I think we have a really good chance of trading back to a team that wants a QB.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #5
Lucky
Moderator
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,322
Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
QBs tend to jump up boards even is perceived value is not there. Its a reason Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and Blaine Gabbert go in the top 12 picks in 2011.
I agree. Not to mention that EJ has been invited to the draft.
__________________
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,847
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

I really like Manuel and would love to snap him up if he was there when we pick. He'd have a chance to watch for a year as the Schaub era plays out. He's a little raw but his size, arm, and mobility are everything you want in a qb.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #7
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor
 
SAMURAITEXAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 3,485
Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

I like an idea of trading down. Should be good players available in 2nd and 3rd.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2013   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,402
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

I like your idea of the trade down and I can see Manuel going in the late 1st since QB's are overvalued and overdrafted.

JMO:

2. Hunter, love this pick. He might take a year to develop for the NFL but I think he has the potential to be special. We'll see.
2. Williams, I honestly don't know much about this guy but he doesn't fit my taste for an NFL OLB with regards to his size. Your replacing 6'04"/268 lbs. (Barwin) with 6'01"/241 lbs. (Williams)? I just don't see him getting the job done at the NFL level. Speed would be his only way of succeeding and there's lots of fast guys in the NFL.
3. Geathers, ehhhh. I think his height will work against him. NT is all about leverage and tall guys have a hard time getting their pads low enough to gain leverage.
3. Bostic, ehhhh. I had him in a mock a long time ago when looking for a run stuffing ILB but now I want a guy that's good sideline to sideline and good in pass coverage. Can he cover a RB out of the backfield or a 6'06" athletic TE?
3. Jones, another guy that I don't know anything about. With his size I can see him being depth at NT but his lack of speed doesn't look good for 3-4 DE. Also I don't think we'd take 2 NT depth players in the same draft.
4. Wolff, nice size and speed for the position but when you say he struggles with pass coverage then I get leery and if he can't handle pass coverage as a Safety then he'll never be a CB.
5. Williams, love this pick if we don't sign Steve Maneri in FA, he fills a definite need.
6. Aboushi, I think he goes alot earlier than this. I know he had a bad Combine but he had a good 2012 season, I think he goes 3rd round at worst.
6. Allen, love this pick as well, he just makes so much sense.
7. Boren, really like this pick as well, a real FB with good hands.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #9
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
There evaluation isn't gold. I think we have a really good chance of trading back to a team that wants a QB.
Agreed. Every year we see prospects overdrafted. Considering we are moving towards a passing league, overreaching on QBs will become more common.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #10
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I really like Manuel and would love to snap him up if he was there when we pick. He'd have a chance to watch for a year as the Schaub era plays out. He's a little raw but his size, arm, and mobility are everything you want in a qb.
I respectfully disagree.

I just don't like the guy as a starting QB. He reminds me too much of a Jason Campebell (at best) or Terrell Pyror (at worst) prospect. He is not a good passer. He makes many poor decision especially when things become quick. He lacks field vision. He tends to lock onto targets rather than work through progressions. He is too quick to run. His accuracy is iffy. He struggled against quality NFL defenses(like Florida).

While he certainly is a big strong powerful guy, he is more an athlete than QB. If you wanted to take him in the 3rd and let him develop that would be one thing. But, like Campebell, if you take him in the first you will likely be disappointed.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #11
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like your idea of the trade down and I can see Manuel going in the late 1st since QB's are overvalued and overdrafted.

JMO:

2. Hunter, love this pick. He might take a year to develop for the NFL but I think he has the potential to be special. We'll see.
2. Williams, I honestly don't know much about this guy but he doesn't fit my taste for an NFL OLB with regards to his size. Your replacing 6'04"/268 lbs. (Barwin) with 6'01"/241 lbs. (Williams)? I just don't see him getting the job done at the NFL level. Speed would be his only way of succeeding and there's lots of fast guys in the NFL.
3. Geathers, ehhhh. I think his height will work against him. NT is all about leverage and tall guys have a hard time getting their pads low enough to gain leverage.
3. Bostic, ehhhh. I had him in a mock a long time ago when looking for a run stuffing ILB but now I want a guy that's good sideline to sideline and good in pass coverage. Can he cover a RB out of the backfield or a 6'06" athletic TE?
3. Jones, another guy that I don't know anything about. With his size I can see him being depth at NT but his lack of speed doesn't look good for 3-4 DE. Also I don't think we'd take 2 NT depth players in the same draft.
4. Wolff, nice size and speed for the position but when you say he struggles with pass coverage then I get leery and if he can't handle pass coverage as a Safety then he'll never be a CB.
5. Williams, love this pick if we don't sign Steve Maneri in FA, he fills a definite need.
6. Aboushi, I think he goes alot earlier than this. I know he had a bad Combine but he had a good 2012 season, I think he goes 3rd round at worst.
6. Allen, love this pick as well, he just makes so much sense.
7. Boren, really like this pick as well, a real FB with good hands.

2. I think Hunter can contribute right away. In addition to good speed, and hands, he also is a good blocker. And we all know what Kubes thinks about a WR's ability to block.

2. Ok. Fair point. I saw a guy who was highly productive as a pressure guy in college. May not have the best size but is a high motor guy. He can still put some weight on. In some ways reminded me of a young Dumervill(5'11 250 when drafted). Who would you rather see drafted in this spot.

3. Agreed. Bostic tends to be more of a run stuffer. I was thinking of all those games were teams ran it down the Texans throat.

3. Yes, he is tall, but he is also going to be a clogging NT. Having the ize to engage and pull in 2 OL will be huge. Height may be an issue, but I think it could work by having a longer reach.

3. One of the things about 40 times is they are somewhat meaningless. Very rarely are DEs running full 40s. He has explosion and power. He also gives Wade options.

4. What I meant is he struggles with deep pass coverage, not pass coverage in general. He has the speed and hands, I think his issue is coaching. He needs to be taught better deep coverage skills. Having a ball hawk FS like Ed Reed or Michael Huff would certainly help along with coaching from Vance Joseph.

5. Thanks. Yep, I think he is the kind of player the Texans have needed for years. They have tried to draft a blocking TE before but injuries derailed his career.

6. You are probably right he doesn't lat this long. He did play well but struggled badly at the combine. Maybe 4th rounder?

6. It saves money and improves the position. Hard to not like that

7. Yep, exactly. Kubes has pretty much shown us that even when he had a fullback who could catch(Casey, Leach) he still will use them almost exclusively as a FB. So, why not get an old school guy like Lorenzo Neal whose strength is what you are actually going to use. Casey is a good player, but was wasted as a FB in Houston.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,504
Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Texans traded with Baltimore, they snagged Flacco who knew Joe would develop into highest paid QB in the NFL so you could be very prophetic & appropriate w/Kubiak track record & QB model.

I know a lot of people here really like Hunter, I really haven't seen enough of him to criticize his selection, others I have but that's beside the point value is pretty much spot on.

Williams was one of those under the radar types, I think he is a little undersized for Texans, but so are a lot of guys in this draft for his position.

Bostic should be serviceable but nothing elite. Need selection.

Like adding depth on front line don't know much about Jones, does seem kinda high? Do you have some inside information, if you do then keep it secret.

I'm glad you added a DB. Will have to wait & see how FA shakes out.

Didn't Texans sign a big blocking TE in free agency? If so Williams is off the board.

Oday dropped this far? Never impressed me but like his athletic ability in ZBS if there heck yeah.

Punter for sure. You've stood by Allen so I applaud your selection. I fear the kicker I like Jeff Locke, UCLA has really impressed, enough in fact to warrant a 4th rd. pick (also deep kick-off specialist which would relieve Randy of stress to his leg accuracy/strength).

Boren would be a great pick in the 7th. Special teams animal & Texans will need several replacements in this capacity.

AS always really enjoy your draft work. Hope to have more time to post soon

BL
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,736
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

First off I like the idea of trading back to get more picks, but if Allen is there at #27, I think the Texans have to get him.

2.(Eagles) Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee, 6'4, 196lbs, 4.41 If they do trade back and this is there pick, I wouldn't be upset, but I don't think Hunter is the right WR for the Texans at this time. He needs time to develop and I don't think they have that time, especially with the loss of Walter. They need a #2 now. Hunter is a project #1 WR. Also, you said he has "great hands." That's not what I've been hearing. I think I've heard/read he had a 12% drop rate while others, like Allen, were around 4-5%.

2 (Texans) Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut, 6'1, 241lbs, 4.57 This might be a little early but he is projected to go between rounds 2-4, so I guess it would be OK. Just don't know too much about him. He did work out well at the Combine. He's not that big for a 3-4 OLB and may be better suited for a 4-3.

3(Eagles) Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia, 6'5, 342lbs, 5.44 OK pick but would rather have Williams from Missouri So. if he was still on the board. Geathers needs to build his stamina and he's not as quick as Williams though they both weigh about the same. Still, a big "space eating" NT is a need IMO. Not sure if Wade agrees.

3(Texans) Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida, 6'1, 245lbs, 4.61 Good solid pick here. He's nothing flashy, but this ILB class is weak and we need one for depth.

3(Compensatory )Chris Jones, DL, Bowling Green, 6'2, 302lbs, 5.33 Not sure about this pick. Don't really know much about him, but I doubt the Texans will pick 2 DT/NT in the same round.

4.Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State, 6'0, 207lbs, 4.44 Could be a good pick. It's a deep S class and there are some good ones out there, even in later rounds. I wouldn't be upset with this pick.

5. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama 6'5, 269lbs, 4.80 Now we're talking. I like this pick and think he could be a steal. This is another area that's deep and we could pick up Lucas Reed or Sudfeld in the 7th for development. I'm sure the Texans will get a TE somewhere in the Draft. Just don't know where.

6 (Texans) Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia, 6'5, 308lbs, 5.45. Was high on this guy as a zone blocking OT and then he had a bad Combine. Waiting to see how he does at his Pro-Day. With the surgery to Newton and Harris still a FA, the Texans may make this area more of a priority and take one earlier.

6(Compensatory) Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech, 6'2, 215lbs. Not opposed to this pick. Jones was OK, but I wish we could get someone better. Too bad Hartmann messed up his leg. I think he could have been a good one for a long time. If Allen has a leg like Hartmann did that would be great.

7.Zach Boren, FB/LB, Ohio State, 6'0 252lbs, 4.79 Good spot to pick a FB and I guess we'll need one since Casey left for "greener" ($$$) pastures. Not sure where Clutts stands with the Texans as far as him being "the man" at FB. If Boren is any good I'm sure he can make the team. Even as a backup to Clutts and for ST.

Good job overall!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,402
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
2. Ok. Fair point. I saw a guy who was highly productive as a pressure guy in college. May not have the best size but is a high motor guy. He can still put some weight on. In some ways reminded me of a young Dumervill(5'11 250 when drafted). Who would you rather see drafted in this spot.

3. Agreed. Bostic tends to be more of a run stuffer. I was thinking of all those games were teams ran it down the Texans throat.

7. Yep, exactly. Kubes has pretty much shown us that even when he had a fullback who could catch(Casey, Leach) he still will use them almost exclusively as a FB. So, why not get an old school guy like Lorenzo Neal whose strength is what you are actually going to use. Casey is a good player, but was wasted as a FB in Houston.

2. U. Conn. plays in the Big East and success there is alot different than success in the NFL where size matters. I think Williams would be better suited to a 4-3 defense. I like David Amerson-CB/FS in the 2nd round, he offers great size and speed to our secondary that still needs some upgrades at CB and FS depth.

3. Other teams did run it down our throat going up the middle but getting better at NT will lessen our needs at ILB for a run stuffer and in this pass happy NFL we need guys who can cover sideline to sideline. I like Kiko Alonso in the 3rd or A.J. Klein in the 4th.

7. I really hope Casey succeeds at TE in Philly and shows Kubiak what he was really capable of all along.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013   #15
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,864
Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans traded with Baltimore, they snagged Flacco who knew Joe would develop into highest paid QB in the NFL so you could be very prophetic & appropriate w/Kubiak track record & QB model.

I know a lot of people here really like Hunter, I really haven't seen enough of him to criticize his selection, others I have but that's beside the point value is pretty much spot on.

Williams was one of those under the radar types, I think he is a little undersized for Texans, but so are a lot of guys in this draft for his position.

Bostic should be serviceable but nothing elite. Need selection.

Like adding depth on front line don't know much about Jones, does seem kinda high? Do you have some inside information, if you do then keep it secret.

I'm glad you added a DB. Will have to wait & see how FA shakes out.

Didn't Texans sign a big blocking TE in free agency? If so Williams is off the board.

Oday dropped this far? Never impressed me but like his athletic ability in ZBS if there heck yeah.

Punter for sure. You've stood by Allen so I applaud your selection. I fear the kicker I like Jeff Locke, UCLA has really impressed, enough in fact to warrant a 4th rd. pick (also deep kick-off specialist which would relieve Randy of stress to his leg accuracy/strength).

Boren would be a great pick in the 7th. Special teams animal & Texans will need several replacements in this capacity.

AS always really enjoy your draft work. Hope to have more time to post soon

BL
Yup, the Houston-Baltimore trade worked out well for both sides. Htown got their franchise LT and Baltimore got their QB.

The problem I feel with the WR group is that there are so many good ones and I honestly don't know where they are going. I am pretty sure Patterson, Allen, and Austin will for sure be gone by 27 and Hopkins will probably be gone by the early second. Hunter seems like a good size WR with speed and hands. Truth be told, there are several WR options the Texans could choose and still get a good player.

Yes a bit undersized, but he could add weight. Dumervill was also undersized coming out of school and he was able to add weight and still be productive. When I see a lot of production over a long time, it tells me he has the tools to get it done at the next level.

Perhaps I could have done better with this one. Will go back to drawing board.

One big problem the Texans have is the DT/NT spot. A bigger space eating clogger like Geathers enables more opportunities for Watt, Smith, Reed, and Mericlus. He also shuts down the up the middle run forcing the teams to go outside where Watt, Smith, and Reed are very good at limiting big gains. Jones comes across as a potential DE/DT/NT combo. He could play NT like Cody/Sharpton, slide next to Geathers if Wade wants to go into a 4 DL alignment, or spell relief for Watt/Smith at the end.

This draft is full of good DBs. I almost wanted to grab another one, but there are already 9 other DBs on the team (Joseph, Jackson, Manning, Reed, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Keo, and Pleasant). I am not sure the team would have more than 10 altogether.

Huh. I must have missed that one. The only signings I was aware of were Phillip Supernaw, Andrew Gardner, Brice McCain, and Ed Reed. Are you referring to Supernaw? If so, I thought he was a pass catching TE not an elite blocking TE.

Oday is super athletic. Does he drop this far? Who knows. I have seen a ton of negative reviews of him since the combine. Sometimes this whole draft process amazes me. You can play very well for multiple years (or somewhat average for multiple years), have a very good or very bad day or two in shorts/tshirt, and cause your draft stock to rise or plummet. Maybe instead of shorts/shirts they should do drills in full pads!!!

I kinda like Allen. I know you are a big fan of Locke, but I fear he (like Angerer) is going to be gone in the third or 4th. I just cant quite take a punter that high, no matter how good he is.

Boren to me is a no brain type of pick. Team has holes at FB and LB. They like guys who play multiple positions(Casey was a FB/TE, OD was TE/emergency QB, etc). Some people say that in addition to skill, Ed Reed also brings swagger and positive attitude to the team. Boren could also bring that positive attitude swagger.

Thanks a bunch BL! I always look forward to reading your commentary.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,504
Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Yup, the Houston-Baltimore trade worked out well for both sides. Htown got their franchise LT and Baltimore got their QB.

The problem I feel with the WR group is that there are so many good ones and I honestly don't know where they are going. I am pretty sure Patterson, Allen, and Austin will for sure be gone by 27 and Hopkins will probably be gone by the early second. Hunter seems like a good size WR with speed and hands. Truth be told, there are several WR options the Texans could choose and still get a good player.

Yes a bit undersized, but he could add weight. Dumervill was also undersized coming out of school and he was able to add weight and still be productive. When I see a lot of production over a long time, it tells me he has the tools to get it done at the next level.

Perhaps I could have done better with this one. Will go back to drawing board.

One big problem the Texans have is the DT/NT spot. A bigger space eating clogger like Geathers enables more opportunities for Watt, Smith, Reed, and Mericlus. He also shuts down the up the middle run forcing the teams to go outside where Watt, Smith, and Reed are very good at limiting big gains. Jones comes across as a potential DE/DT/NT combo. He could play NT like Cody/Sharpton, slide next to Geathers if Wade wants to go into a 4 DL alignment, or spell relief for Watt/Smith at the end.

This draft is full of good DBs. I almost wanted to grab another one, but there are already 9 other DBs on the team (Joseph, Jackson, Manning, Reed, McCain, Harris, Carmichael, Keo, and Pleasant). I am not sure the team would have more than 10 altogether.

Huh. I must have missed that one. The only signings I was aware of were Phillip Supernaw, Andrew Gardner, Brice McCain, and Ed Reed. Are you referring to Supernaw? If so, I thought he was a pass catching TE not an elite blocking TE.

Oday is super athletic. Does he drop this far? Who knows. I have seen a ton of negative reviews of him since the combine. Sometimes this whole draft process amazes me. You can play very well for multiple years (or somewhat average for multiple years), have a very good or very bad day or two in shorts/tshirt, and cause your draft stock to rise or plummet. Maybe instead of shorts/shirts they should do drills in full pads!!!

I kinda like Allen. I know you are a big fan of Locke, but I fear he (like Angerer) is going to be gone in the third or 4th. I just cant quite take a punter that high, no matter how good he is.

Boren to me is a no brain type of pick. Team has holes at FB and LB. They like guys who play multiple positions(Casey was a FB/TE, OD was TE/emergency QB, etc). Some people say that in addition to skill, Ed Reed also brings swagger and positive attitude to the team. Boren could also bring that positive attitude swagger.

Thanks a bunch BL! I always look forward to reading your commentary.
Texans signing Lechner pretty much nullifies both of our punters but we were right in feeling need to replace Jones.

Hard time grading out WR class, quality to choose from so feel better value with 2nd rd selection. I do like Aaron Dobson a lot or maybe Terrance Williams is still on the board not to mention Patton.

Pass rusher is needed. Really all are projections, still making mine. Applaud you for trying, just don't know enough about him. What I do know is the Texans prefer taller frame to build out 6-4 to 6-7'.

Is Wolfe a good protege for Ed Reed? Discuss
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,719
Rep Power: 321290 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Didn't Texans sign a big blocking TE in free agency? If so Williams is off the board.
I think you're thinking about Maneri?

We showed some interest but he went with the Bears.

Unless you're thinking about Supernaw but he's a fringe guy at this point, at best.
__________________
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,582
Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0:Post Comepnsatory Pick Annoucment Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I really like Manuel and would love to snap him up if he was there when we pick. He'd have a chance to watch for a year as the Schaub era plays out. He's a little raw but his size, arm, and mobility are everything you want in a qb.
I don't get why anyone would like him outside of his physical ability. I was very excited for him to start for the Noles, but then reality crept in. Reality showed that Manuel couldn't make reads fast enough and was essentially afraid to make decisions. Take off and run? Throw to the post? The out? Dump off to the RB? Too many options for Manuel. He can't decide consistently enough and he can't read a defense to help him make a decision. Sure he has mobility, mobility that he was also afraid to use. We ran the option with Christian Ponder. Guess what happened when Manuel came in? We ran it for 3 games until it became obvious that Manuel didn't want to run, he didn't like it AND he got injured. He doesn't make a decision to scramble fast enough either. His ability to scramble is basically moot when his mind becomes involved. He has size. He has strength, too. He's also a nice guy that can run fast and throw far as well. The problem is that his mind doesn't understand that. His mind does not allow him to tap his full physical ability. We've seen it 100 times. This is just another example.

As much as I would have LOVED for this kid to have been legit, he just wasn't. I saw too much of him to be wrong. So, I guess this is me saying that I can't be wrong about this, even though that's ridiculous. I've just seen too much of him to ever put my faith in him even for one more down.

BTW, Wolfe from NC State is a good player. I remember watching him over the years and him jumping out at me for making key plays. I couldn't really give you a breakdown of the guy, because most of those memories are limited, but I remember liking him for some time now.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 03-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #19
Lucky
Moderator
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,322
Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I really like Manuel and would love to snap him up if he was there when we pick. He'd have a chance to watch for a year as the Schaub era plays out. He's a little raw but his size, arm, and mobility are everything you want in a qb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I just don't like the guy as a starting QB. He reminds me too much of a Jason Campebell (at best) or Terrell Pyror (at worst) prospect. He is not a good passer. He makes many poor decision especially when things become quick. He lacks field vision. He tends to lock onto targets rather than work through progressions. He is too quick to run. His accuracy is iffy. He struggled against quality NFL defenses(like Florida).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't get why anyone would like him outside of his physical ability. I was very excited for him to start for the Noles, but then reality crept in. Reality showed that Manuel couldn't make reads fast enough and was essentially afraid to make decisions. Take off and run? Throw to the post? The out? Dump off to the RB? Too many options for Manuel. He can't decide consistently enough and he can't read a defense to help him make a decision.
Here's a link to a NFL Network discussion on Manuel. Casserly takes the side of Doppelganger & TexansSeminole, that Manuel is not a 1st round QB. Former Bronco GM Ted Sundquist makes Vinny's case that Manuel is a 1st round QB, and has what a team is looking for in a QB in today's NFL.

I can see both sides. I watched every pass and run from Manuel in the 2011 bowl games versus Notre Dame (a good college defense). The cons were that Manuel didn't really feel the rush and made some poor decisions with the ball (that didn't cost him, fortunately). The pros were that he showed he could make every throw and NFL QB needs to make, and kept his poise and led the team to a comeback win.

Right now, I don't think Manuel is as good as Matt Barkley. By 2015, Manuel could very well be better than Barkley. As Sundquist pointed out, Manuel didn't have the weapons around him that QBs like Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and Barkley had. In that Notre Dame bowl game, he had several freshman o-lineman blocking for him. Put Manuel in that West Virginia or USC offense, and maybe he's the one getting top 10 consideration.

BTW, Texan GM Rick Smith tutored under Sundquist in Denver, so it wouldn't be surprising if he (and Kubiak) evaluated Manuel in a similar fashion. And even if the Texans are not considering him with their pick at #27, it would be wise to bring Manuel in for an interview. There aren't an teams behind the Texans in the 1st round that are likely to go QB with their pick. And if the Texans want to generate interest for teams like the Eagles, Cards, or Jets to trade up, showing interest in E.J. would be the smart move.
__________________
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,582
Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock Version 6.0: Post Compensatory Pick Announcement Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here's a link to a NFL Network discussion on Manuel. Casserly takes the side of Doppelganger & TexansSeminole, that Manuel is not a 1st round QB. Former Bronco GM Ted Sundquist makes Vinny's case that Manuel is a 1st round QB, and has what a team is looking for in a QB in today's NFL.

I can see both sides. I watched every pass and run from Manuel in the 2011 bowl games versus Notre Dame (a good college defense). The cons were that Manuel didn't really feel the rush and made some poor decisions with the ball (that didn't cost him, fortunately). The pros were that he showed he could make every throw and NFL QB needs to make, and kept his poise and led the team to a comeback win.

Right now, I don't think Manuel is as good as Matt Barkley. By 2015, Manuel could very well be better than Barkley. As Sundquist pointed out, Manuel didn't have the weapons around him that QBs like Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and Barkley had. In that Notre Dame bowl game, he had several freshman o-lineman blocking for him. Put Manuel in that West Virginia or USC offense, and maybe he's the one getting top 10 consideration.

BTW, Texan GM Rick Smith tutored under Sundquist in Denver, so it wouldn't be surprising if he (and Kubiak) evaluated Manuel in a similar fashion. And even if the Texans are not considering him with their pick at #27, it would be wise to bring Manuel in for an interview. There aren't an teams behind the Texans in the 1st round that are likely to go QB with their pick. And if the Texans want to generate interest for teams like the Eagles, Cards, or Jets to trade up, showing interest in E.J. would be the smart move.
E.J. can certainly make all the throws, he has a tremendous arm.

I'd disagree with you about weapons though. Maybe not disagree, because the teams you listed did have some elite talent, but I would argue that E.J. also had some great talent to work with. Rodney Smith has been touted as a late round prospect around here and I can't tell you how many times that guy was running down field, wide open, only to be ignored. Rashad Greene is a heck of a receiver and depending on what happens with this stupid assault he just committed (edit: never mind, he did not commit assault, wrong guy), has the talent to be a top 5 receiver in a draft. Christian Greene is another good receiver that you will see more of this year. Kelvin Benjamin is another huge weapon. Kenny Shaw is a good receiver. Prior to that, he also had Burt Reed and others. At TE, he has one of the top TEs coming out of high school in O'Leary. Backs galore, 3 or 4 that have NFL quality talent.

Your definitely right about the OLine. Even in 2012, the OLine was inexperienced. Menelik Watson is getting alot of hype but people may not know that he only played for the Noles in 2012. He was a JUCO transfer with little overall football experience. He played RT for us but honestly, he barely won the job in the spring. Our LT is a converted DT with excellent potential but again inexperienced. 2012 was his first year to play the position or us.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 03-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger