Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013   #1441
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My sources continue to say Ed Reed is definitely not signing with the Texans, but might sign with the Texans, or not, and possibly will sign with the Ravens, or the Texans, or retire...and he was spotted skydiving into Lambeau Field where he met with Brett Favre....so, either this means Ed Reed is maybe signing with the Packers OR we're getting Favre as our QB.

Don't blame me. That's what my sources are saying, while tripping balls on rad shrooms in the danky basement of some old lady's house in Pearland.
I think we have the same source. Says something will happen in the next 48 hours.
Old 03-19-2013   #1442
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 3280 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My sources continue to say Ed Reed is definitely not signing with the Texans, but might sign with the Texans, or not, and possibly will sign with the Ravens, or the Texans, or retire...and he was spotted skydiving into Lambeau Field where he met with Brett Favre....so, either this means Ed Reed is maybe signing with the Packers OR we're getting Favre as our QB.

Don't blame me. That's what my sources are saying, while tripping balls on rad shrooms in the danky basement of some old lady's house in Pearland.
Your source has no credibility. I defy you to find a basement in Pearland.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1443
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think we have the same source. Says something will happen in the next 48 hours.
But who cares ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1444
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't see it that way. I think his preference is to get as much money in his last contract as possible. I think he'll take it from anyone.
I don't know. I feel like he would have taken $7M back to the Ravens if that's what we had offered him.

However, I wasn't sitting in the room with him, so my "feel" may be way off base. I'd like to think if Rick Smith thought he would sign for $7M it would be a done deal.

Now, I used to sell cars for a living (that was a long time ago) & I know many times it's not the deal itself that is important, but the perception of it. Like the Barwin deal, I'm sure there is a way to structure this thing so that Reed can walk away saying he's got a $7M/yr deal when only $5.5 is guaranteed this year.

I think I could have closed him. Understand I am talking out of my ass being that I've never talked to anyone about "settling" for $5.5M/yr
Old 03-19-2013   #1445
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
But who cares ?
47 hours
Old 03-19-2013   #1446
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7876431.story
Quote:
As for the Texans, a league source with knowledge of the situation characterized the Texans' initial three-year offer as low enough that a fast deal was unrealistic.
This is the bad part imo, & reason the Texans should have egg on their face.

If you're going to go all, "Moving on up" on him, send out the Jet, roll out the red carpet, wine & dine.... then get all "unrealistic" when it's time to start talking money, then what's the point?
Old 03-19-2013   #1447
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

If you're going to go all, "Moving on up" on him, send out the Jet, roll out the red carpet, wine & dine.... then get all "unrealistic" when it's time to start talking money, then what's the point?

Probably exactly why they took out all the stops. Look at our beautiful facility, look at how good we treat our players, look at our great city and look at how excited the fans are.. now please come play for us on the cheap.

Ive been really busy lately so I havent been able to keep up with the Texans like I usually do.. but from someone who is just reading the headlines.. it appears as though we are dead set on not making the playoffs for a third time.

If things dont improve soon we are gonna be looking at another few years of rebuilding come 2014.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1448
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm Ed reed I'd take a little less money to go back to Baltimore. Really I'd have little interest in joining the texans for several reasons.

This is a dead issue as far as I'm concerned.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1449
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
Smart GM's and well run FO's do that (place a value on a player and not budge from it) on a regular basis- its the only smart way to do business in the NFL these days.

Look at the last few SB champs: they build through the draft, undrafted FA's and signing depth thru Veteran FA aquisitions. Steelers, Giants, Pats, Ravens,Packers, etc....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1450
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

My sources tell me the Texans put on the whole dog & pony show out of respect for A.J.'s desire to have his buddy here -- but it stopped at an exorbitant contract number.

My sources also say Taylor Swift is about to write a song about Matt Turk -- who knew they were dating? -- and that may delay the Texans bringing Turk back into the fold.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1451
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd guess they were taking out all stops for the things they could offer outside of the salary cap, because they are limited with the actual cap.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1452
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I'm not mistaking they offered 5mil per year to Reed, that seems like a fair offer for a player at his stage in his career, no?
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1453
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If Reed isn't liking what the market thinks he's worth, he should retire.

The Texans need to move their ass on to plan B at the position and quit dickin with this guy if he's looking to get overpaid. Personally, I don't think he's even worth what we're currently offering.
Old 03-19-2013   #1454
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

THREE years???? A three year contract???? I hope if that report is accurate, the first 2 years are the only ones that have significant guaranteed money!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1455
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Rumor is that people are seeing him here in Chicago..not talking to the Bears but shopping at the American Girl Doll store on Michigan avenue...he is a doll collector...allegedly. Take that for what its worth.
Old 03-19-2013   #1456
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If Reed isn't liking what the market thinks he's worth, he should retire.

The Texans need to move their ass on to plan B at the position and quit dickin with this guy if he's looking to get overpaid. Personally, I don't think he's even worth what we're currently offering.
If I were Reed, I would stick around for another year or two before retire as there still money to be made. We are talking about at least 4~5 Mil $ x 2 years right? Would you retire and give up that kind of money? After retirement, there's no guaranteed money. I would like to secure with more money before my retirement. Wouldn't you?

Last edited by SAMURAITEXAN; 03-19-2013 at 11:04 AM.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1457
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
If I'm not mistaking they offered 5mil per year to Reed, that seems like a fair offer for a player at his stage in his career, no?
Obviously someone thinks that was "unrealistic" that's what was in the quoted article.

Personally I think $5M is a good number, but I don't know if it's a "need to jump on it right now" good number. Bringing him in as early as we did in the FA period, sending out the Jet & overall making a big deal out of it, if we weren't prepared to throw out a "need to jump on it right now" good number, we shouldn't have wasted our time.
"We'll guarantee you $5.5M in 2013. We'll guarantee you $5.5M in 2014. What are you willing to guarantee for an extra $1.5M?"
Because I'm willing to pay a man of Mr.Reeds stature & reputation $7M but I need some guarantees. Guarantee me 16 games & I'll get you $500K. Guarantee me 5 INts & I'll get you $500K. Guarantee me less than a dozen missed tackles & I'll get you $500K. Guarantee me a touchdown & I'll get you $500K.

I should have been an NFL general manager
Old 03-19-2013   #1458
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans need Ed reed more than Ed reed needs the texans.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1459
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just heard the deal should be final tonight.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1460
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Just heard the deal should be final tonight.
?? ?
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read