Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2013   #101
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Has this been confirmed? And not by McLaim! If so this SUCKS!!!!!
Here's where I found my info.
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10918

It's not the great insider McLame, but hopefully it will suffice.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #102
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen years where contracts like James and Jones not counted as qualified free agents. I guess the small bonuses they received kept them from being counted as vet minimum signings. Probably best to sign guys like this after June 1st, when they are no longer counted as free agency period signings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Getting an xtra 3 (even if it's virtually in the beginning of the 4th round), is a valuable pick. For example I think OD was the first pick of the fourth round when we drafted him in 2006 ? But now 6th & 7th round picks are real long shots (OK, please nobody mention Tom Brady).
That's a good point. Your chances of hitting on a UDFA are about as good as a very late 6th rounder. And that's what those picks would have been. The Texans will be fortunate to find 9 rookies in the draft that can make their roster.
Old 03-18-2013   #103
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I read somewhere they counted Shayne Graham against us as well.
Shayne Graham couldn't have counted, because he wasn't on a NFL roster at the end of the 2011 season. Graham was by the Ravens prior to the playoffs and became a street free agent.
Old 03-18-2013   #104
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Read the CBS Sports article about the comp picks....

Listed us losing Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dressen while gaining Bradie James and Donnie Jones. Apparently that's why we only got 2.
James and Jones both played for the vet min which .... according to what Ive read should not count against comp picks.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #105
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Shayne Graham couldn't have counted, because he wasn't on a NFL roster at the end of the 2011 season. Graham was by the Ravens prior to the playoffs and became a street free agent.
You could be right. Honestly, I don't know, but he was listed in the link that I provided & read as a FA signed vs our FA's lost. Regardless, the Texans got screwed. Counting one more player, Graham, doesn't exactly help the sting to me but I guess it makes it look a bit better to some. A Punter & a mediocre LB earning 2 picks means the Texans really took a BIG one.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #106
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Sometimes I hate being right...
Their rules are ambiguous at best.
Dutch and some others thought that neither Jones nor James qualified.
I wasn't sure because I didn't see anything about the signing bonus.

On the other hand, the rules also mentioned playing time, and Allen played squat for the Bengals.

So yeah, it's rather confusing because the NFL never revealed their exact formula.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #107
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

no Reed, not enough picks...probably will not hit in the draft either.
Old 03-18-2013   #108
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A while ago, I ran into an article that mentioned some GMs that were quoted as saying "they give up on predicting comp pick".

I didn't make note of the link but it's out there on the web.
Old 03-18-2013   #109
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Has this been confirmed? And not by McLaim! If so this SUCKS!!!!!
Here's another source confirming:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...2013-nfl-draft
keyser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #110
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
James and Jones both played for the vet min which .... according to what Ive read should not count against comp picks.
They were also starters which may play a role in the committee's decision.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #111
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree with much of what you've said. But the offense has 6 of the 8 largest contracts the Texans have on the books. If that's not "real ammo" then they shouldn't have handed out those contracts.
I think that proves his point even more. These contracts are going to guys who were way below the Radar, Schaub is the only one you can say there was interest for. It'd be a stretch to say there was interest in Arian as 32 teams passed on him 7 times.

We've made some pretty good lemonade by finding the right lemons.

Just imagine if we had been spending first round picks on our offense & not our defense. Bringing Wade in, I was hoping we'd be able to consider offensive players more fairly on the first day, but..... we'll see.

If we can make this offseason as offensive heavy as the past two have been defensively focused, I think we would be in for a really great season.

But seeing as how they may have screwed the Quin/Reed thing up, they'll probably find some way to over compensate.
Old 03-19-2013   #112
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
They were also starters which may play a role in the committee's decision.
My understanding is that the vet minimum guys don't count at all though. They could be Pro Bowlers, but they are not even supposed to be on the table for the equation.
They either were not considered vet minimum contracts or that rule has changed.
Old 03-19-2013   #113
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just happy we got the 3rd. Much better than a bunch of 6's and 7's.

I reckon if Kubiak's really going to be looking at QB, this will be the spot he'll get to get him
Old 03-19-2013   #114
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well damn, guess I owe someone a beer.

I'm still not sure that James and Jones actually counted against the comp picks we could have received. Either Brisiel or Jason Allen were the player that gave us the 6th, but if the league's formula saw one of them as a 7th and saw Dreessen as a 7th, then we might have simply missed out due to more than 32 picks being awarded. Most years you see only 25-30 picks awarded, and the rest are given to the teams at the top of the draft in order for a total of 32 picks added to the draft. The year Dunta left, the Texans got the last pick in the draft and chose Cheta O. This year, there were no supplemental comp picks awarded, so it's likely that at least a few teams were screwed out of a 7th or two. The Texans may have been one of those teams, but we won't be able to confirm it.

In any case, this whole secret formula bull**** needs to end. It's completely ridiculous that people aren't allowed to know the salary ranges for picks, who contributed to each pick, what stats contribute to higher/lower picks, etc etc.
Old 03-19-2013   #115
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

I'm still not sure that James and Jones actually counted against the comp picks we could have received. Either Brisiel or Jason Allen were the player that gave us the 6th, but if the league's formula saw one of them as a 7th and saw Dreessen as a 7th, then we might have simply missed out due to more than 32 picks being awarded. Most years you see only 25-30 picks awarded, and the rest are given to the teams at the top of the draft in order for a total of 32 picks added to the draft. The year Dunta left, the Texans got the last pick in the draft and chose Cheta O. This year, there were no supplemental comp picks awarded, so it's likely that at least a few teams were screwed out of a 7th or two. The Texans may have been one of those teams, but we won't be able to confirm it.

In any case, this whole secret formula bull**** needs to end. It's completely ridiculous that people aren't allowed to know the salary ranges for picks, who contributed to each pick, what stats contribute to higher/lower picks, etc etc.
"I run this league. If I wanted your opinion or the coaches, GMs or owners..."

signed Roger Goodell
Old 03-19-2013   #116
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Dutch and all, anybody wants to take a look at the Ravens?

According to different articles, the Ravens got 4 comp picks.
At least 2 of them show that they lost 6.
They did not show enough gain to offset the losses; ie. they didn't show enough qualifying signings.

Well, I performed a quick check and found that they signed 5 at the same level as Bradie James or higher:

Bobbie Williams (2 years), Ryan McBean, Corey Graham, Sean Considine, and Billy Bajema.

So what's going on here?
Old 03-19-2013   #117
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Injuries cannot be used as an excuse. The Texans were down 17-13 at the half at New England, had Schaub just nutted up the Texans could have gone deeper .
Or if Casey had caught that gimmie TD pass in the 1st Qtr it would have been 17-17...

Or if Wade's vaunted D had made adjustments and not allowed Brady & Co to run up a forty-burger on them... ...AGAIN.

...or maybe it's all of the above...
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #118
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Dutch and all, anybody wants to take a look at the Ravens?

According to different articles, the Ravens got 4 comp picks.
At least 2 of them show that they lost 6.
They did not show enough gain to offset the losses; ie. they didn't show enough qualifying signings.

Well, I performed a quick check and found that they signed 5 at the same level as Bradie James or higher:

Bobbie Williams (2 years), Ryan McBean, Corey Graham, Sean Considine, and Billy Bajema.

So what's going on here?
First thing I do when looking at this stuff is check the signing date, which can be found on ESPN's transactions by team section: Ravens

Williams was after June 1st, so he doesn't count at all:
Quote:
June 8, 2012 Agree to terms with G Bobbie Williams on a two-year contract.
Quote:
August 2, 2012 Signed TE Billy Bajema. Waived QB John Brantley.
Next thing to do is figure out the status of the players in question, were they cut or released by their previous team? If so, they don't count.

Ryan McBean released by Broncos: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406808

I can't figure out if Sean Considine finished the season on the Cardinals in 2011, but he was cut by the Panthers in the middle of that season. I have no idea if he counts.

Corey Graham expired rookie deal with Bears, signed as a UFA with Ravens. So we would need to see his contract numbers to see if he qualified.

Anyways, there are a lot of variables about it, just have to have some help with the transactions and contract numbers to make a good estimate.
Old 03-19-2013   #119
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do NFL front offices know the "secret formula"? If so, then it's pretty stupid not to let the public know how this process works. If not, then it could be to keep GM's from gaming the system to get extra comp picks with the way they sign FA's.
Old 03-19-2013   #120
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. Transparency is needed. The MLB one is much easier to understand: you sign a FA player in a certain level, you give up your first round pick. Simple. The NFL once again standing for the No Fair League.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read