Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #41
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Player exodus due to lack of leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you have read my posts you would know I expect improvement every yr and a SB. If you dont expect a championship from your team then what the reason for rooting for them. It's why they keep score.

2 in 7 seasons is totally unacceptable.
2 in 2 seasons is. It's not like this team got a playoff berth five years back before last year. We've had two straight. If we don't get one this upcoming season, then yes, we've got cause for worry. But for now, I'm willing to reserve judgment until the draft. I expect improvement too. I want us to at least get to the AFC Championship, but I don't agree with that "2 playoffs in 7 seasons" stuff. I might if we don't make the playoffs this upcoming season.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys lay off Barwin. Sure he could have stepped up as a leader, but how can he do that while wearing blue footy pajamas??? Yeah see, it's not his fault.
Old 03-17-2013   #43
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not a coincidence we started losing once Brian Cushing went down. He was not just our defensive leader, but our leader as a whole.

JJ Watt is getting there too.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Hey guys lay off Barwin. Sure he could have stepped up as a leader, but how can he do that while wearing blue footy pajamas??? Yeah see, it's not his fault.
Uggh!!! Why'd you have to bring THAT up??

Now it's going to take me another two weeks of therapy to get that image out of my head.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #45
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1795 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreeed, I'm not offended either.

Leadership on the field = talent + Inspiration/work ethic and they lost alot when they lost Cushing leadership in the FO =doing what you say you're going to do, Rick said get an offer and bring it to me, Connor did that and Rick didn't respond.

Rick did the same with GQ, atleast that's what GQ said on his twitter. Somehow teams that are playoff teams are making moves left and right. The Texans appear to be sitting on their hands. Just look at the 2 main contenders for the AFC, Broncos/Pats models and then look at the Texans model and tell me loyal Texans fans do you feel closer or farther away from the SB? It's one of the reasons why loyal fans like She Texan have grown to dislike how Rick does business and sees the salary cap excuse for what it is. A mess of Ricks own making.

The Texans could move $$$$ around to sign Reed/Dumervil, they choose not to do this and frankly since the Texans aren't going to win a SB next yr anyway I kind of agree with saving the $$$$ and using it to re-sign Cushing (if healthy and proves it on the field for a full season, unlike Schaub.) and Watt. But remember the time when fans were saying when the Texans become a SB contentder that FA's will want to come to Houston and the Texans wont have to overpay for them? Well I guess that train of thought was a fallacy.

BTW, this draft is the most important draft since the 2006 draft. The Texans need to hit on 5 picks if they want to remain at the top of the AFC south for yrs to come. With 4 picks in the first 3 rds they've got the ammunition to do it. Lets hope Gary/Wade lock Rick in the bathroom for day 1/2 of the draft.
Haha You really do despise Rick Smith and Kubiak. I don't disagree with everything you say, but you are blinded by dislike some of the time as well. In my opinion, Kubiak makes a lot of the offensive draft decisions and has since he got here. And a lot of the defensive picks have been by the different defensive coaches. Richard Smith loved Okoye. Frank Bush loved Cushing (reminded him of Romanowski) and also wanted Kareem. Wade wanted Aldon Smith badly but got another player he wanted badly as well in Watt who has turned out even better than Smith. I also believe the coaches dictate what they want in free agency. I guarantee you Sherman was the one behind Ahman Green. I also guarantee you Wade and Vance Joseph were behind JJo and Manning. Joseph ranked JJo as the best DB of that particular free agent class. I'm not even sure what Rick really does to be honest. He probably just helps gather information, seeks out opinions, and then goes with what the consensus is from the top coaches and scouts. When it comes to the cap, they probably rely on their "cap expert" Olson. They are being stingy now because they know Watt, Cushing, and Kareem are coming up. Good luck signing them if you're constantly after free agents.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #46
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

I put zero stock into what some jackass says on the way out the door.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Good riddance. The Texans defense is better off without that kind of cancerous attitude in the lockeroom. Cushing is the leader of the Texans defense. His infectious attitude is the kind that will make players want to run through walls. He gives everything he has on the field and in the weight room. Leads by example and vocally. So take your whiney attitude on up to Philly Mr. Barwin. The Texans don't need you here.
I agree. I put very little stock into the words of former Texans players. I think the only one that I'd pay any attention to would be Demeco Ryans, and that dude said nothing but positive things about his experiences with the Texans.

Barwin is playing the blame game because he knows Philly fans will eat his lunch if he doesn't produce for them in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Exodus? Really? Barwin and Casey got overpaid, no way we match their offers. And according to GQ, we never even made him an offer.
I'm not seeing an "exodus", either. We have not lost anyone that is irreplaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OR Barwin is just talking out his ass at this point like his excuses on not getting sacks.
That's all I'm hearing, as well. People who wish to criticize the team will be all over his words, but they are empty to me. If this was JJ Watt or Brian Cushing, I'd put more stock into it. But Barwin? Give me a break.

I find it amusing that anyone believes fan discontent has even the slightest influence on front office decisions and team operations.
Old 03-18-2013   #48
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Barwin.. wow throwing people under the bus... classy move dude.. Good luck and good riddance..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OR Barwin is just talking out his ass at this point like his excuses on not getting sacks.
I really think Barwin was speaking of himself most of all. Really doubt he was throwing darts at anyone in particular. Probably tried to say what he thought was the least harmful to himself & his former team & we made a mountain out of it.
Old 03-18-2013   #50
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I really think Barwin was speaking of himself most of all. Really doubt he was throwing darts at anyone in particular. Probably tried to say what he thought was the least harmful to himself & his former team & we made a mountain out of it.
I think you are correct. Barwin is well aware of the fact that he had a down year & gave a few legit reasons for it IMO. The injury to Reed did have him moving around some & the ILB play was hardly what it was in 2011 after Ryans was traded & Cushing went down w/ injury. Sure, it's a bunch of excuses, but time will tell if those excuses were legit based on his future production in Philly & if he develops into a consistently productive player.

Personally I hated to lose him because I think he has potential, but overpaying for him wasn't an option that the Texans could afford. Good luck to him.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #51
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wondering if anyone could explain lack of leadership on the field...

Does this mean?
1) Players were missing their assignments and the "coach" on the field is supposed to get them playing to their assignment.
2) Players just were taking plays off and not giving all out effort
3) They were not making in-game adjustments as formations changed and the "field general" should put them in the correct spot.
4) They were not working out hard in the weight room?
5) They weren't appropriately preparing for games?

I just wonder if anyone can tell how you know there's no leadership. Which of these apply?
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #52
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

After Cushing went out Barwin and Quin had the longest tenure on the D. I guess we saw what kind of leaders they were.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
Haha You really do despise Rick Smith and Kubiak. I don't disagree with everything you say, but you are blinded by dislike some of the time as well. In my opinion, Kubiak makes a lot of the offensive draft decisions and has since he got here. And a lot of the defensive picks have been by the different defensive coaches. Richard Smith loved Okoye. Frank Bush loved Cushing (reminded him of Romanowski) and also wanted Kareem. Wade wanted Aldon Smith badly but got another player he wanted badly as well in Watt who has turned out even better than Smith. I also believe the coaches dictate what they want in free agency. I guarantee you Sherman was the one behind Ahman Green. I also guarantee you Wade and Vance Joseph were behind JJo and Manning. Joseph ranked JJo as the best DB of that particular free agent class. I'm not even sure what Rick really does to be honest. He probably just helps gather information, seeks out opinions, and then goes with what the consensus is from the top coaches and scouts. When it comes to the cap, they probably rely on their "cap expert" Olson. They are being stingy now because they know Watt, Cushing, and Kareem are coming up. Good luck signing them if you're constantly after free agents.
I dont despise Rick and Gary, I have said that last yr is the best coaching job Gary has had since becoming HC. I just want a team that does everything it can to try to win a Lombardi. So far in 7 yrs it doesn't seem like the Texans as an org are doing that. Since Rick is the GM he must bear the brunt of the blame. It's kinda sad that after 7 yrs nobody knows what Ricks role is. That is the definition of the teflon man. Nothing ever sticks to slick Rick.

Could the Texans have a better HC than Gary sure, but my question is how long do you give this regime to win a championship? They've been here in one form or another for 8 yrs. Do you give them 10? 20? How many? Ithink the avg GM/HC lifespan is 5 yrs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #54
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting how many posts in this thread are lambasting Barwin. A lot of people want to ignore the elephant in the room, which is that what he said was true.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #55
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Interesting how many posts in this thread are lambasting Barwin. A lot of people want to ignore the elephant in the room, which is that what he said was true.
The popular thing to do is bash the ex-Texan. Never been much of a peer pressure follower myself, but it is what is.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #56
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
The popular thing to do is bash the ex-Texan. Never been much of a peer pressure follower myself, but it is what is.
You think there's peer pressure to bash former players? That's kind of silly. I haven't seen posters bashing Quin at all. Barwin was offered a pretty fair contract last season (similar to what he actually signed for this year), turned it down because he wanted more money then went out and had an extremely underwhelming season. Then, he effectively blames a lack of leadership as to why he underperformed. He's a professional athlete in a contract year, how much more motivation do you need? I don't know how you can be on the same field with a guy like Watt and not be inspired to bust your butt. Maybe Connor needs a guy in his face all the time to provide motivation, if he does that's on him not the Texans.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Personally I hated to lose him because I think he has potential, but overpaying for him wasn't an option that the Texans could afford. Good luck to him.
His contract doesn't sound too out of line from what "we" were saying was fair value.
Old 03-19-2013   #58
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot make a comment on the player who made the quote- I do not know his character.

However, as the fan of team that has recieved the most compensatory picks since they started giving them out in 1994 because of the loss of Free Agents, I can honestly tell you it has nothing to do with "losing the lockerroom", "lack of character" o the players part or "lack of leadership" by the coaching staff and FO.

It happens to teams every year in a business driven by Free Agency as a vehicle to promote parity amongst teams.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #59
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin should of went for gold and said Schaub is no leader. They all left because of money, all got more year to their contract. I haven't heard ex-players saying Texans are a bad team to play for, or the coach is an idiot.
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #60
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont care what...Jason Babin...err Connor "Barwinna disapear' in a contract season...how many sacks did he get last year? 2 or three tops..with first one coming in last part of season. Cmon "Mr Bulls on Parade" show some freaking personal responsibility...you sucked cause you spent more time working on lame sack dances and getting schooled by those not double teaming JJ Watt.

Bite Me Babin...errr Barwin..."Kitten on a stroll"
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read