Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013   #1421
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7876431.story

Quote:
As the Houston Texans continue to haggle with the agent for veteran free safety Ed Reed following his free agent visit last Friday, the Super Bowl champion Ravens haven't closed the door on trying to retain the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

To characterize the situation as a true financial competition would be a bit of an overstatement, though.

The Ravens' tight salary-cap situation could preclude them from making Reed a major negotiating priority. Plus, the 34-year's old age, durability concerns and decline in range could work against a reunion with the Ravens.

The Ravens would like to have Reed back, but not for $6 million annually and definitely not for the $7.2 million he made in the final year of his expired six-year, $44.5 million contract.

As for the Texans, a league source with knowledge of the situation characterized the Texans' initial three-year offer as low enough that a fast deal was unrealistic. Talks are ongoing with the Texans and Reed's agent, David Dunn, who has kept Ravens team officials informed of what's going on as both teams and Dunn attend the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix.

And players for both the Ravens and Texans remain hopeful that Reed chooses their team, but it appears that the Texans are willing to commit more money to the nine-time Pro Bowl selection.

"Any team that's fortunate enough to get him is getting a Hall of Fame player," Texans quarterback Matt Schaub told The Baltimore Sun tonight at the Ed Block Courage award banquet at Martin's West. "He's one of the best if not the best safety to ever play the game and still in his prime. If you can add that kind of player, the leadership, the intensity he brings to his job, he's going to make the whole team better. It's the nature of the business. We'll see what happens."

Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith, who attended the event and accepted Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs' award on his behalf, said he has remained in touch with Reed throughout the process.

"That's the business side of it," Smith said. "It's tough for a lot of people to understand, especially the fans. We'll see what happens. I hope he ends up back in Baltimore. I've been texting him, not about what's going on, but just talking to him and seeing how he's doing. W'ell see.

"He always has a positive attitude. Fans are killing him on Twitter, but he's taking it in stride. He's enjoying it."

Former Ravens cornerback Chris Carr, who was in town to accept an award for San Diego Chargers teammate Quentin Jammer, is hopeful that Reed will conclude his career in Baltimore by signing one more contract with the Ravens.

"It's difficult," Carr said. "Once a player starts getting older, organizations don't want to invest in a player that's older. Ed Reed has been such a special player and he means so much, not only on the football field, but as a leader and teaching a lot of the young guys what to do in that secondary. Especially with Bernard Pollard leaving, I think it's really vital for the Ravens to sign him back.

"As a fan and a former Raven, I hope he stays here in Baltimore. It's unfortunate so many players who were part of the success are gone. It's the business and the salary cap doesn't give you too much wiggle room.
"
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1422
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
What makes him a diva?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...is-he-bluffing
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1423
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
So using his only source of leverage to get a new contract makes him a diva? Ok.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1424
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I cant play safety, thats my nephew, he has the moves!

to me it sure sounds like a ringing endorsement from Schaub in that quote. Hmmmm i guess Ed Reed is Texan material after all, I mean if Schaub says it I'm sure some of the dudes on the fence will definitely be all for it now! LOL
Old 03-18-2013   #1425
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So using his only source of leverage to get a new contract makes him a diva? Ok.
I didn't say that- I posted a link to an article that shows how Ed Reed can change his mind and then in the same sentence change it again.

That's all.
Old 03-18-2013   #1426
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't say that- I posted a link to an article that shows how Ed Reed can change his mind and then in the same sentence change it again.

That's all.
So he's human? Cool..... thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-18-2013   #1427
handswarmer
All Pro

"As for the Texans, a league source with knowledge of the situation characterized the Texans' initial three-year offer as low enough that a fast deal was unrealistic. Talks are ongoing with the Texans and Reed's agent, David Dunn, who has kept Ravens team officials informed of what's going on as both teams and Dunn attend the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix."

Low balling....
Old 03-18-2013   #1428
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"As for the Texans, a league source with knowledge of the situation characterized the Texans' initial three-year offer as low enough that a fast deal was unrealistic. Talks are ongoing with the Texans and Reed's agent, David Dunn, who has kept Ravens team officials informed of what's going on as both teams and Dunn attend the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix."

Low balling....
Do you really blame them for low balling when they have limited cap resources , many holes to fill and nine draft picks four of which are in the top 100 ?!

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1429
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
So he's human? Cool..... thanks for clarifying.
Not sure why you are acting like this; Ed Reed is a strange bird- moves to his own beat.....to say he is normal is less than forthright.
Old 03-18-2013   #1430
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Low balling....
And it sounds like y'all are no balling...... so let me ask you this..... will the Ravens fans be happy if he comes back because y'all have been trashing him.
Old 03-18-2013   #1431
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Do you really blame them for low balling when they have limited cap resources , many holes to fill and nine draft picks four of which are in the top 100 ?!
Then don't send the GM on the owner's plane.
Old 03-18-2013   #1432
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm free balling right now, does that count?
Old 03-18-2013   #1433
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
And it sounds like y'all are no balling...... so let me ask you this..... will the Ravens fans be happy if he comes back because y'all have been trashing him.
I can't or shouldn't speak for the rest of Ravens fandom so I will say this:

My opinion is that I would like to see Ed play out his career in Purple- Ravens purple like Jon Ogden and Ray Lewis; the other two HoF'ers.

I always wish the iconic players would stay with their team and retire rather than chase a paycheck- It broke my heart to see Johnny U in powder Blue for a year...
Old 03-18-2013   #1434
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

My sources continue to say Ed Reed is definitely not signing with the Texans, but might sign with the Texans, or not, and possibly will sign with the Ravens, or the Texans, or retire...and he was spotted skydiving into Lambeau Field where he met with Brett Favre....so, either this means Ed Reed is maybe signing with the Packers OR we're getting Favre as our QB.

Don't blame me. That's what my sources are saying, while tripping balls on rad shrooms in the danky basement of some old lady's house in Pearland.
Old 03-18-2013   #1435
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sources close to the situation believe they sighted Ed Reed at First Colony Mall in Sugar Land.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1436
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't E.Reed just retired?!?!?! If not for his relationship with AJ, these talks should of been over. We are basically holding hostage by Reed, who clearly trying to get top dollars from his first choice the Ravens. If not for his new agent that he just hired, this would of been a done deal for both teams. We will be doing this next season again when he tinkers with retirement again.
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1437
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Ed Reed at the corner store, he was 3 cents short, took a a dime out of the "give a penny take a penny" dish.... waited for the change, and kept it.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #1438
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding is that we had a "strong push" to sign Reed....but turns out it was unrealistic.
Quote:
As for the Texans, a league source with knowledge of the situation characterized the Texans' initial three-year offer as low enough that a fast deal was unrealistic.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7876431.story

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #1439
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457

Also, Quin was better in tackling, while Reed had 4 INTs to Quin's 2. How that translates across systems is anyone's guess, but neither one are a scrub or worthless. Neither one is head and shoulders ahead of Reed. I think Quin was the better player last year, and I think Quin will never be half the player Reed has been over his career. Do with that what you will, I guess.
I understand what you're saying. & I know what the stats are saying. But how do you compare the burn rate of a FS to the burn rate of a SS, especially when they play in completely different schemes.

Ed Reed is normally hanging back, playing centerfield, watching 2 players or more where Quin is normally in some kind of man responsibility whether he's backed up or in the box.

I like Quin. I don't think Reed can play the way Wade used him. I don't think Jarius Byrd or any of the Safeties rated higher than him can play like he does.

If we were talking Byrd vs Reed, those stats would hold more water (with me), or Pollard vs Quin.

If I had my rathers, I'd prefer Quin & Reed, but the Texans weren't going to sign Quin, drop Manning, & sign Reed.
Old 03-19-2013   #1440
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...all-hawk-reed/
Quote:
Obviously, Reed wants more than the Texans are offering, but they’re limited by the salary cap. They place a value on players, and it’s difficult to get them to budge.
I may have to start liking Rick Smith.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read