Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2013   #81
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
@McClain_on_NFL: Texans received compensatory picks in the 3rd and 6th rounds of next month's draft. They've had 5 n their history, all in 6th and 7th rounds
Picks 95 & 201.

Former 95th picks:

2012 Tony Bergstrom OL
2011 Curtis Brown DB
2010 Jimmy Graham TE
2009 Rashad Johnson DB
2008 Mario Manningham WR
2007 Dante Hughes DB
2006 Willie Reid WR
2005 Darryl Blackstock LB
2004 Guss Scott DB
2003 Billy McMullen WR
2002 Eric Crouch QB

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-18-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

2? boo!
Old 03-18-2013   #83
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
2? boo!
Yeah. I was expecting at the least 4.

Looks like the Bradie James experiment cost us, should have gone with Dobbins from the start.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #84
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If this is true:

Then they left of Shayne Graham, who signed for 925k+65k signing bonus. 925k is the vet minimum deal for a player of 10+ seasons. 825k is the vet minimum for players with 7-9 years, which James and Jones fall into. Here are the minimum salaries:

2012 NFL vet minimum salaries
Rookie - $390,000
1 year - $465,000
2 year - $540,000
3 year - $615,000
4-6 year - $700,000
7-9 year - $825,000
10+ year - $925,000

That 65k bonus is pretty standard for veteran contracts. I'm not aware of it affecting comp picks, but I guess we will see soon enough.
From the outside, I am speculating that the Texans tried to structure the contracts in order to make those guys non-qualifiers. Don't like secret formulas and making teams guess at what it takes to get picks. that said, for these reasons, i don't like my team not sigming useful football players at what appears to be a hope at getting bottom level, late round picks that it can't trade a year later.
Old 03-18-2013   #85
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Minus the saints ofcourse.
Nice ha ha.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #86
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like Texans received another raw deal. Guess wait for next years 4th & 5th. Better not sign Ed Reed either probably lose them as we'll?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #87
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Just 2 huh. I know we lost some FA but we signed some as well. But just 2 huh, less than I expected.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #88
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL sooo the team shouldnt sign FA's because they will lose out on compensatory draft picks?? Is that what this fanbase has be relegated to?

Old 03-18-2013   #89
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
All the big free agents moves and draft were done before he came in 2006. You can say he was in the car but he didn't pick it.

2006 made a good storyline for you but going with Smith's first draft doesn't play out so well.

Oakland - jack
Detroit - 1 wild card loss
Cleveland - jack
Tampa - 1 wild card loss
Arizona - 2 playoffs including SB loss - and let's face it that was considered the fluke SB run of all time.

Paints a little different picture. Circumstances matter. Some teams aren't as good as their record reflects - see 2004 Texans who were nowhere close to on the verge. Some teams aren't near as bad as their record reflects - see the 2005 hobo Saints.
Missing the point entirely. The Texans' low point was the 2005 season, resulting in the 2006 draft. I simply compared the Texans' low point to that of the other teams right there with them at the same time. Rick Smith was in charge for 6.728 of those 7 seasons. That doesn't mean I'm pinning it on Rick Smith; it's just an observation. I didn't bring up the comparison because of Rick Smith directly. I pin more of the Texans woes on Kubiak than anyone else, as anyone who has followed my post history would know.

Either way, the Texans hit their low point with other teams that should serve as examples that it doesn't have to take years and years to rebuild. It can take years and years, if you're the Browns or Raiders, but it doesn't have to.
Old 03-18-2013   #90
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like we got jobbed again. Should have been at least 2 sixes along with the 3rd.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #91
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Read the CBS Sports article about the comp picks....

Listed us losing Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dressen while gaining Bradie James and Donnie Jones. Apparently that's why we only got 2.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #92
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nsatory-picks/
Old 03-18-2013   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Read the CBS Sports article about the comp picks....

Listed us losing Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dressen while gaining Bradie James and Donnie Jones. Apparently that's why we only got 2.
What a let down. They counted both James and Jones.
I think playing timing also plays a part in the formula.
Both of these guys were basically our starters.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #94
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
LOL sooo the team shouldnt sign FA's because they will lose out on compensatory draft picks?? Is that what this fanbase has be relegated to?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #95
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Some added leeway to either move down in a talent-filled round 2, 3 and 4 to get more picks or package some picks to move up.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #96
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I am projecting the texans get 2 compensatory picks. I believe one of the keys in this formula is FAs lost-FAs signed. The Texans lost 4(Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dreesen) and signed 2 (James and Donnie Jones). 4-2=2. To figure out the round, you look at level of play, contract to replace, etc. James and Jones were low contract offers, so they would cancel Allen and Dreesen. That leaves two higher level contracts that were lost without a signed alternative.

Based on Mario's contract that should be a 3rd rounder. Briesel is tougher, so I will say somewhere between 5-7 for him.

So I am projecting a 3rd plus 5,6,or 7th for the Texans.
Sometimes I hate being right...

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #97
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting an xtra 3 (even if it's virtually in the beginning of the 4th round), is a valuable pick. For example I think OD was the first pick of the fourth round when we drafted him in 2006 ? But now 6th & 7th round picks are real long shots (OK, please nobody mention Tom Brady).
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #98
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Has this been confirmed? And not by McLaim! If so this SUCKS!!!!!
Old 03-18-2013   #99
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Getting an xtra 3 (even if it's virtually in the beginning of the 4th round), is a valuable pick. For example I think OD was the first pick of the fourth round when we drafted him in 2006 ? But now 6th & 7th round picks are real long shots (OK, please nobody mention Tom Brady).
more important to me is the comp 3rd allows us to trade our 3rd to move up. Three seconds, comp 3rd and a 4th takes care of our needs. Round two: OLB/NT/WR, Comp: S, round four: ILB
Old 03-18-2013   #100
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What a let down. They counted both James and Jones.
I think playing timing also plays a part in the formula.
Both of these guys were basically our starters.
I read somewhere they counted Shayne Graham against us as well. 2 special teamers & a mediocre LB earned offsetth losses & earned 2 picks. Yeah...the Texans took the root on that one.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read