Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2013   #121
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agents we should look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
Where does PFF rank Earl Mitchell at DT? Do they have him as awful against the run?
47 out of 85 overall, 27 run grade & 57 pass rush grade. Without J'ville games his run grade would be nearly equal to his pass rush grade.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #122
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
47 out of 85 overall, 27 run grade & 57 pass rush grade. Without J'ville games his run grade would be nearly equal to his pass rush grade.
Thank you. I thought he'd be a better pass rusher when they drafted him.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Brad Jones ILB from the Packers?
He played every snap when he got the chance to start as a 3-down LB, with Hawk leaving the field.

That must mean he played very well.
It should be a low cost signing that provide value and more flexibility in the draft.

ProFootball Focusb grades him a value-performer for the Packers as he had a small salary due to being a 7th rd draft pick in 2009.

He played OLB early on but made a smooth transition to ILB.

Looking at the brief analysis on him and his measurable a pre-draft; I was surprised he wasn't drafted a little higher; probably because he only weighed 232 at the time. Now he's listed at 242.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #124
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He played every snap when he got the chance to start as a 3-down LB, with Hawk leaving the field.

It should be a low cost signing that provide value and more flexibility in the draft.

ProFootball Focusb grades him a value-performer for the Packers as he had a small salary due to being a 7th rd draft pick in 2009.

Looking at the brief analysis on him and his measurable a pre-draft; I was surprised he wasn't drafted a little higher; probably because he only weighed 232 at the time. Now he's listed at 242.
He'd be a great pick up
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #125
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[IMG]Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP[/IMG]

[IMG]6 ft 3 in 232 lb. 4.49 s 1.59s 2.56s 4.21 s 6.75 s 33 in 9 ft 11 in 19 reps[/IMG]

He averaged 8.5 tackles in his starts, with 2 sacks and 5 PDs.

His draft report shows that he was good in coverage from the college day, where he played all over the place, including DE.
Old 03-19-2013   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jones would be a great addition, really good player, he would fit in well next to Cushing. I wonder what his price tag will be?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #127
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rated overall 10th out of 53 ILBs, very good against the run & decent vs. pass.

I wonder what kind of money he'll command?
Old 03-19-2013   #128
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Rated overall 10th out of 53 ILBs, very good against the run & decent vs. pass.

I wonder what kind of money he'll command?
Shouldn't be as much of a jump as Quin since he didn't start as many games as Quin.
Old 03-19-2013   #129
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Shouldn't be as much of a jump as Quin since he didn't start as many games as Quin.
Cool, put a call into Rick and tell him we're both on board with bringing him in.

He can catch the Aero Mexico from Milwaukee to Mexico City -- the landing might be a little dicey.

Old 03-19-2013   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cool, put a call into Rick and tell him we're both on board with bringing him in.

He can catch the Aero Mexico from Milwaukee to Mexico City -- the landing might be a little dicey.

LOL!

Eight teams have shown interest, reportedly.
Jones did visit the Titans last week.
I don't think they can offer him much since they just sign a LB whose name escape me at the moment.
They probably plan to use him at OLB instead.
Old 03-19-2013   #131
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
what about Urlacher? Could he really be worse than James?

I understand he's lost a step in defending the pass, but he's still very stout around the line of scrimmage and up the middle. would allow Cush to roam and make plays instead of sticking to gap responsibilites. Just an idea, Bears giving that man a raw deal IMO, maybe we could swoop in and give him a nice 1 year deal and hope he would be an asset.
urlacher was not much, if any better than Brady james last year. classic better name than player at this point.
Old 03-19-2013   #132
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hadn't considered Jones, but I would consider him to be one of the more attractive-slash-realistic possibilities for the Texans. Seems very much within the free agent MO of the organization.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #133
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone brought up Daryl Smith yet? I think he'd look nice next to Cush.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #134
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
urlacher was not much, if any better than Brady james last year. classic better name than player at this point.
God I'm so afraid that is what is going to happen with Reed. It's going to really hurt us if this turns into another Ahmad Green or Eric moulds situation.
Old 03-19-2013   #135
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I must admit. I think this is the most boring Texans FA season I've witnessed so far. We definitely haven't gotten better. I sure hope they have some sort of plan in mind
Old 03-19-2013   #136
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I must admit. I think this is the most boring Texans FA season I've witnessed so far. We definitely haven't gotten better. I sure hope they have some sort of plan in mind
What about when we only signed Wade Smith?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #137
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Lets just sign Hampton and Harrison in FA they should be fairly inexpensive for a yr or 2 and draft a couple of S. This appears to be a good class for S.
I know Casey Hampton would make a lot of folks really happy but it seems to me, still, that Wade is stuck on his smallish NT who can penetrate (whether it actually happens on the field or not) than the traditional big space eater. Don't see it happening.

In reference to Harrison I really don't see that happening. Read on CBS Sports.com yesterday that his was the "coldest name in FA". According to GMs interviewed in Phoenix that he asking/wanting way too much money for LB who's lost a step and can't effectively rush the passer anymore though is still stout against the run. Wants too much money for a 2 down player. Don't see this happening either.

I'm kinda surprised at the push for Ed Reed. This goes completely against the grain of what McNair said just a few off seasons ago about learning to not chase players on their downslide looking for one last payday. I guess he either changed his mind or he really does stay out of it and let his football people do what they're paid for. Thoughts on this?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #138
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I know Casey Hampton would make a lot of folks really happy but it seems to me, still, that Wade is stuck on his smallish NT who can penetrate (whether it actually happens on the field or not) than the traditional big space eater. Don't see it happening.

In reference to Harrison I really don't see that happening. Read on CBS Sports.com yesterday that his was the "coldest name in FA". According to GMs interviewed in Phoenix that he asking/wanting way too much money for LB who's lost a step and can't effectively rush the passer anymore though is still stout against the run. Wants too much money for a 2 down player. Don't see this happening either.

I'm kinda surprised at the push for Ed Reed. This goes completely against the grain of what McNair said just a few off seasons ago about learning to not chase players on their downslide looking for one last payday. I guess he either changed his mind or he really does stay out of it and let his football people do what they're paid for. Thoughts on this?
There are always exception.

A few guys are able to maintain their body and their mind longer than others.
Reed is one of them.
Old 03-19-2013   #139
Rufus Jarvis
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Rufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respectedRufus Jarvis is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahmard Hall might be a cheap FB.
Rufus Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #140
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rolando McClain is rumored to be shopped around.

Any chances the Texans go after him? Could he be had for cheap? We need some LB depth and he's only 23 years old.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read