Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2013   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Compensatory Picks ANNOUNCED tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Dutch, is there any quick way to look at the state of the other 31 teams?
I'm not aware of good source for comp pick projections for the entire NFL. I thought about doing it this year, but when I started to look into it, it was just too much work to get through. You can see someone else's projections that Beerlover linked above, but that one really misses the mark on valuations of contracts. No way Josh Morgan is worth a 3rd, probably a 4th, possibly a 5th.

AdamJT used to project all the picks each year, and he was a good source, but he didn't do it the last two years. So I don't really know where to look for it anymore.
Old 03-18-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Good stuff sand. Maybe i'll stop looking at this from a team pov and approach it from a city standpoint. We've been wandering in the desert for a long time if you include the oilers. Now thats not fair to anyone with the Texans...but goddamned this city is due.
I think every time we have a team that is pegged to go deep into the play-offs at the beginning of the season, we should be happy.

Like last year; if not for the loss of Cushing and then the run of injuries at ILB late in the season, we would have had a better chance at getting HFA, and most probably a better chance at going deeper into the play-offs.

JJo playing hurt didn't help; Cody playing hurt didn't help; Jamison getting hurt didn't help; Wade Smith playing hurt didn't help; Caldwell getting hurt didn't help; Newton getting hurt and playing hurt didn't help.

With just a little better luck in the injury department, I see an extra win easily.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #43
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think every time we have a team that is pegged to go deep into the play-offs at the beginning of the season, we should be happy.

Like last year; if not for the loss of Cushing and then the run of injuries at ILB late in the season, we would have had a better chance at getting HFA, and most probably a better chance at going deeper into the play-offs.

JJo playing hurt didn't help; Cody playing hurt didn't help; Jamison getting hurt didn't help; Wade Smith playing hurt didn't help; Caldwell getting hurt didn't help; Newton getting hurt and playing hurt didn't help.

With just a little better luck in the injury department, I see an extra win easily.
Injuries cannot be used as an excuse. The Texans were down 17-13 at the half at New England, had Schaub just nutted up the Texans could have gone deeper .
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #44
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Last year I wanted 2 playoff victories. More then that was icing. I thought that was reasonable as a fan.

Looking at next years schedule, I wont be surprised if we take a step back.
Old 03-18-2013   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep as long as you make it to the playoffs and get heathy and on a roll at the right time you have a chance. Look at what Baltimore did this year. Mid season there defense was a mash unit and people were calling for Flackos head.
Old 03-18-2013   #46
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Last year I wanted 2 playoff victories. More then that was icing. I thought that was reasonable as a fan.

Looking at next years schedule, I wont be surprised if we take a step back.
The problem with looking at schedules is you have no idea how a team will actually play vs the perception on paper. Lots of teams last year did not meet expectations(such as the Steelers). Who is to say the Texans won't win another 12 games or even get to 13? Each week, the Texans play only 1 opponent: not 31.

A handful of plays throughout the year can result in the difference between a 6-10 year and a 10-6 year.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #47
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
A little sensative about Rick Smith I see.

2 playoff wins in 7 seasons. That's on the entire organization including your boy. They really need to make a bold move this offseason unless they are content with simply filling seats which seems to be the MO these days.
Smith has been building a team. The team was in shambles when he arrived, and although there aren't any rings in Houston yet, he's definately been going the right direction. You don't build a dynasty in a year or two, you just wreck the Cap. Rick isn't perfect, but I think he's batting well over .500 in my opinion.

It may be boring at times, but stability has been good for this franchise. A lot of teams have ADD and run in different direction every year or two, sure some may make a deep playoff run here and there, but the next year they bust and start over.
Old 03-18-2013   #48
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Smith has been building a team. The team was in shambles when he arrived, and although there aren't any rings in Houston yet, he's definately been going the right direction.
The other top 5 teams that were in shambles when Rick Smith came to Houston were, in order of draft pick, the Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and Niners. There are three Super Bowl wins and a couple extra championship games mixed in there. Do with that what you will; just thought I'd offer it up for consideration.
Old 03-18-2013   #49
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The other top 5 teams that were in shambles when Rick Smith came to Houston were, in order of draft pick, the Saints, Titans, Jets, Packers, and Niners. There are three Super Bowl wins and a couple extra championship games mixed in there. Do with that what you will; just thought I'd offer it up for consideration.
ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!
Old 03-18-2013   #50
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Injuries cannot be used as an excuse. The Texans were down 17-13 at the half at New England, had Schaub just nutted up the Texans could have gone deeper .
PATS: First possession of 3rd Quarter, Brady goes 4-5 for 56 yards, Pats go 69 total for a rushing TD. Texans D forces only ONE third down.

TEXANS DOWN 10

TEXANS: First possession of 3rd Quarter, 3-and-Out with Schaub 1-2 on two short passes to OD

PATS: Second possession of 3rd Quarter, 3-and-Out with Brady going 1-3 for 5 yards

TEXANS: Second possession of 3rd Quarter, Schaub goes 4-5 for 56 yards, including two 20+ yard passes. Fumbles but recovers it. Throws INT.

TEXANS STILL DOWN 10

PATS: Third possession of 3rd Quarter, Brady goes 3-3 for 26 yards and TD, Ridley rushes three times for 37 yards. Texans D forces NO third downs.

TEXANS DOWN 17

TEXANS: Third possession of 3rd Quarter/Start of 4th, Schaub goes 2-4 for 16 yards, Foster rushes three times for 2 yards. Went for it on 4th down, incomplete.

PATS: First possession of 4th Quarter, Brady one play for TD.

TEXANS DOWN 24

In these series, Schaub was 7-11 for 73 yards and an INT. Not a good quarter, but not an "OMG this was the worst quarter of football ever played!" thing either.

Brady on the other hand, along with the entire NE offense, pretty much made the Texans D toss his salad. They racked up 170 yards and 21 points on 19 total plays from scrimmage. Through FOUR possessions they only had TWO third downs.

Sorry, but one INT by Schaub doesn't come near the lack of nut-up that the defense had in that quarter.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #51
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

@McClain_on_NFL
I'm thinking Texans should get third round pick for Mario Williams and maybe one more.

Guess we shall see who is right in a short while...
Old 03-18-2013   #52
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

This is tomorrow, right?
Old 03-18-2013   #53
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
This is tomorrow, right?
Yeah, it was a premature thread start from yesterday.
Old 03-18-2013   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's an interesting topic.

The only one of those teams I'd have considered a shambles was the Niners. They went 8 straight years without a winning season. The others all had some success before a bad season and had bases to work from.

Other teams that I would have considered shambles at that time were the Browns, Lions, and Rams. Not many playoff wins or... just wins PERIOD... since 2006 for those guys.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #55
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Premature thread is premature.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #56
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Saints - Had a winning record from 2000 to 2005, and reached playoffs once. Had one bad year in 2006 going 3-13. Have a winning record and gone to playoffs four times since 2006 with one Super Bowl. NOT SHAMBLES

Titans - Averaged 11 wins per season from 1999 to 2003, made playoffs 4 out of 5 years and went to Super Bowl. Had two poor seasons in 2004 and 2005. They rebounded with four years above .500 and two playoff appearances. NOT SHAMBLES

Jets - Had one losing season between 1997 to 2004 with four playoff appearances. Had one bad year in 2005. Posted winning record and 3 playoff appearances since. NOT SHAMBLES

Packers - 13 straight winning seasons from 1992 to 2004 with 10 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl win. One bad year in 2005. Have made playoffs 5 out of 7 years since. NOT SHAMBLES

Niners - Possibly the only "shambles" team in your list, because they had four straight losing seasons before 2006. Of course, the four losing seasons from 2007-2010 before becoming good the last two years looks an awful lot like Rick Smith's career trajectory.

So four of the five teams you mentioned were historically good and even playoff teams before having one bad season, quickly rebounding to their winning ways.

The Texans, on the other hand, were an expansion team that was 18-46 through four years, coming off of one of the worst seasons in NFL history with HWSNBN holding all of their career passing records, before bringing Kubiak and Smith on board. Big, big difference.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #57
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
@McClain_on_NFL
I'm thinking Texans should get third round pick for Mario Williams and maybe one more.

Guess we shall see who is right in a short while...
I am projecting the texans get 2 compensatory picks. I believe one of the keys in this formula is FAs lost-FAs signed. The Texans lost 4(Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dreesen) and signed 2 (James and Donnie Jones). 4-2=2. To figure out the round, you look at level of play, contract to replace, etc. James and Jones were low contract offers, so they would cancel Allen and Dreesen. That leaves two higher level contracts that were lost without a signed alternative.

Based on Mario's contract that should be a 3rd rounder. Briesel is tougher, so I will say somewhere between 5-7 for him.

So I am projecting a 3rd plus 5,6,or 7th for the Texans.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Awww, man .... I've been scanning the wires.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I am projecting the texans get 2 compensatory picks. I believe one of the keys in this formula is FAs lost-FAs signed. The Texans lost 4(Mario, Brisiel, Allen, and Dreesen) and signed 2 (James and Donnie Jones). 4-2=2. To figure out the round, you look at level of play, contract to replace, etc. James and Jones were low contract offers, so they would cancel Allen and Dreesen. That leaves two higher level contracts that were lost without a signed alternative.

Based on Mario's contract that should be a 3rd rounder. Briesel is tougher, so I will say somewhere between 5-7 for him.

So I am projecting a 3rd plus 5,6,or 7th for the Texans.
Both James and Jones signed vet minimum deals and do not count at all in the compensatory pick equation.
Old 03-18-2013   #60
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is tomorrow, right?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Awww, man .... I've been scanning the wires.
It actually IS today

Quote:
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider
Compensatory selections to be announced later today by the NFL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read