Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-15-2013   #181
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 NFL Free Agent Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Great move? I think I will have to disagree. They had to cut the loss; that's all they did.

A great move would have been to get all the paperwork to the league office on time. All he had to do is to have one of his guys there to get the signature and do the faxing instead of relying on the agent.

It was an honest mistake, but they still lost nearly $5M in cap space for nothing but wasted time and agony.
I don't agree with that at all right now. It may come out that it was a mistake, but I seriously doubt it. They had 30 minutes to get the contract signed and sent back to the office. It took them 37 minutes. That just doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign a deal with another team in the next day or two with at least 10+ million in 2013 salary + total signing bonus. He's a big name and has a great resume. If Barwin can get 6 a year, Dumerville can get 8 or more easy.

I'm with GP on this, I just don't think that other team the agent was talking to is the Texans.
Old 03-15-2013   #182
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't agree with that at all right now. It may come out that it was a mistake, but I seriously doubt it. They had 30 minutes to get the contract signed and sent back to the office. It took them 37 minutes. That just doesn't sound right to me. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign a deal with another team in the next day or two with at least 10+ million in 2013 salary + total signing bonus. He's a big name and has a great resume. If Barwin can get 6 a year, Dumerville can get 8 or more easy.

I'm with GP on this, I just don't think that other team the agent was talking to is the Texans.
I know I know (about Dumervil's part.)

What I also know is that I have been in similar situation like Elway's and I didn't count on somebody else to get the proper paperwork filed to my advantage.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #183
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Agree. I was posting on my phone so didn't clarify that it could be any number of teams, not just Texans.

But I did say that it would be giving way too much Pimp Cred to Rick Smith to say this was all happening via a Rick and Wade strategy.

I'd pay $8 mill-per for Elvis, restructure our guys to make it fit. He's a LB and we're in need of that as much as a Safety.....though a good Safety might be the better investment due to budget issues.
Old 03-15-2013   #184
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Greg Jennings signs with Minnesota Vikings

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
Greg Jennings reached agreement with...the Vikings.
Quote:
Vikings are giving Greg Jennings a five-year deal.
Going from Aaron Rodgers to Christian Ponder is like going from banging Mila Kunis to banging Roseanne Barr LMAO!!
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #185
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Great move? I think I will have to disagree. They had to cut the loss; that's all they did.

A great move would have been to get all the paperwork to the league office on time. All he had to do is to have one of his guys there to get the signature and do the faxing instead of relying on the agent.

It was an honest mistake, but they still lost nearly $5M in cap space for nothing but wasted time and agony.
What I heard, was the contract had to be signed by 4pm today (yesterday, whatever). Looks like the agent was screwing around & trying to force the Broncos to pay them $12M.

Elway wasn't going to get played & did what he had to do. It didn't matter when the paperwork got to the league office, but a signed fax time stamped 4:04pm pretty much screws the deal.

Our GM didn't balk at paying Mario (who I love) more than 12M/yr not only once, but twice & the guy still walked.

I don't know how you can say Elway has egg on his face for this one. Not in present company anyway.
Old 03-15-2013   #186
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We might be entering an era of NFL where the outrageous contracts for even the best free agent candidates come to a screeching halt.

Is this the beginning of RESTRAINT in terms of spending?

At some point, even the few teams that right now have gobs of cap space are going to eat up that cap space and find themselves in our position within a few seasons. Everyone will eventually be forced to restrain from spending.

This is going to be very interesting. Plus, IIRC, from what dutchrudder has been saying, this is the first year that teams have a MINIMUM threshold they have to meet in terms of cap spending. You can't just roll over savings, you now have to pay a certain amount to players--a certain overall percentage.

So a lot of these free agents might not fit anywhere BUT those less-talented cellar dwellers who are required to spend a minimum amount to meet the new rules.

yeah you may remember me mentioning right after the new CBA was sign that huge contracts for FAs were on way out after this off season. We may have a team or two that dumps players after a SB run but for the most part NFL has put brakes on ridiculous contracts.
Old 03-15-2013   #187
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg Jennings signed for 5 years, $47.5 Million:

Quote:
Vikings agreed to terms with Greg Jennings on a five-year, $47.5 million contract, including $18 million guaranteed.
Link
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #188
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Adrian Wilson signs with Patriots:

Quote:
Patriots agreed to terms with SS Adrian Wilson, formerly of the Cardinals, on a three-year contract.
Link
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #189
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Good safety. Curious no one here ever mentioned him for the texans.
Old 03-15-2013   #190
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Texans need to have an excellent draft. Lot of second rounder I like that can fill needs. Trade doown from #27 and up again into second.
Old 03-15-2013   #191
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What I heard, was the contract had to be signed by 4pm today (yesterday, whatever). Looks like the agent was screwing around & trying to force the Broncos to pay them $12M.

Elway wasn't going to get played & did what he had to do. It didn't matter when the paperwork got to the league office, but a signed fax time stamped 4:04pm pretty much screws the deal.

Our GM didn't balk at paying Mario (who I love) more than 12M/yr not only once, but twice & the guy still walked.

I don't know how you can say Elway has egg on his face for this one. Not in present company anyway.
What we know:

1. It was not an ultimatum since there were some changes back and forth in the contract language.

2. The Broncos wanted to cut $4M of the total contract (3 years left), but with all the cuts in the first year.

3. The Dumervill camp agreed with the first year cut, but asked for an addl' 500K in the second year, and an amount of $3.5M to be guaranteed.

4. This next part is from the agent; he claimed that the Broncos agreed orally, but then changed the language in the contract to read "$3.5M guaranteed only in case of injury" (meaning the team can cut him to avoid the guarantee portion.) The Broncos so far has not refuted this claim.

Why not push for a deal sooner during the week?
Why not set a deadline for yesterday?

Why add the injury clause into the contract?
It looks like bad faith negotiation.
Kevin Walter for example, agreed to take a paycut in 2012 in hope to stay with the Texans long-term. His agent didn't ask for anything.
Walter got cut this year.

In case of Dumervil, I think the agent did right by informing Dumervil of the situation. It takes time for Dumervil to think about the implication.
Basically, the Broncos didn't help that matter.

Who knows what the real intention of each party is.

What we know that in legal matters when there are negotiations involved and changes to be made back and forth, it's best to set a clear deadline way ahead of time to be sure that everything is transparent (good faith negotiation.) The Broncos organization has their own lawyers. They should know the matter.

By failing to do it sooner, IMO, the Broncos didn't do anybody a favor.

It's quite unclear to me what their real strategy was.
But the bottom line is they didn't achieve the results they desired.
==>> FAIL
Old 03-15-2013   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
What we know:
Elway knew that it didn't make sense to take a $12M cap hit for a DE, when his team could use some new faces.

At the end of the day, the Broncos have more cap space to help their team get past the divisional round. They'll have to deal with a predictable reduction from a pass rush standpoint, but they were already prepared to do that.
Old 03-16-2013   #193
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Who sits around waiting for a fax?!? It's 2013 and they're talking MILLIONS. Do they not have scanners?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #194
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
Of @Rotoworld's original Top 100 Free Agents, only 9 have re-signed with old team. 51 signed elsewhere. 1 retired. 39 still available.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #195
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone hear rumors about Nnamdi Asomugha? Is he visiting any teams, any offers out there to him yet?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #196
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OT Jake Long agreed to terms with Rams
Old 03-18-2013   #197
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Ranking the top-50 #NFL free agents:
Here's how [Adam Caplan] ranks the top-50 NFL free agents (franchise players not included):

Quote:
  1. Victor Cruz/WR (RFA)
  2. Elvis Dumervil/DE-OLB
  3. Andre Smith/RT
  4. Sebastian Vollmer/RT
  5. Brent Grimes/CB
  6. Karlos Dansby/ILB
  7. Dwight Freeney/DE
  8. John Abraham/DE
  9. Stevie Brown/S (RFA)
  10. Ed Reed/FS
  11. Dawan Landry/S
  12. DeAngelo Hall/CB
  13. Ahmad Bradshaw/RB
  14. D.J. Williams/WLB
  15. Brandon Lloyd/WR
  16. Fred Davis/TE
  17. Eric Winston/RT
  18. Bryant McKinnie/LT
  19. Emmanuel Sanders/WR (RFA)
  20. Dennis Pitta/TE (RFA)
  21. Kevin Kolb/QB
  22. Osi Umenyiora/DE
  23. Sione Pou'ha/DT
  24. Ryan Fitzpatrick/QB
  25. Antoine Winfield/CB
  26. Nnamdi Asomugha/CB
  27. James Anderson/OLB
  28. Shane Lechler/P
  29. Charles Woodson/S
  30. Alan Branch/DT
  31. Jammal Brown/RT
  32. Winston Justice/RT
  33. Brandon Moore/G
  34. Lance Louis/G
  35. Ben Watson/TE
  36. Shaun Phillips/OLB
  37. James Harrison/OLB
  38. Kyle Vanden Bosch/DE
  39. Justin Durant/OLB
  40. Tom Zbikowski/S
  41. Darryl Smith/OLB
  42. Michael Huff/FS
  43. Kerry Rhodes/FS
  44. Brian Urlacher/MLB
  45. Michael Turner/RB
  46. Quentin Jammer/CB
  47. Gerald Sensabaugh/S
  48. Quintin Mikell/S
  49. Danario Alexander/WR (RFA)
Old 03-18-2013   #198
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Titans cut Matt Hasselbeck
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #199
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Anyone hear rumors about Nnamdi Asomugha? Is he visiting any teams, any offers out there to him yet?
New Orleans
Old 03-19-2013   #200
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Titans cut Matt Hasselbeck
Didn't take long for him to sign with the Colts.
We might get to face him yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read