Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2013   #181
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith looks smarter every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post

You didnt actually believe that did you?
Why shouldn't he have believed it? It showed no more ignorance than the rest of that post.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 03-17-2013 at 05:37 PM.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #182
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well I remember in here that it kept getting talked about almost all season long how they were staying in some pace to be the worst defense ever. I didn't remember the exact numbers it was, but it was a talking point for a while.
I think it was worst pass defense ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
But I think we agree that it can't really be argued that Wade wasn't brought in to clean up a mess.
I think he did a good job putting the guys in positions to do what they do. I wouldn't say he cleaned up Rick Smith's mess, because then you're talking from a personnel perspective.

Many of those first & second round draft picks were here way before Wade. The value picks, Quin & McCain.... before Wade. Wade fixed Gary's mess, Rick has done a fairly decent (I'd say pretty good, but I don't like the guy) job getting players for our defense.

Jj Watt & Brooks Reed are similar to other guys Smithiak drafted before Wade.... Cushing, Demeco, Connor, Quin, McCain; they all fit the same mold.

Jjo & Manning are like their other FA signings; Antonio, Wade Smith, Pollard, Myers (trade).... all were fairly young (for FAs) that may have been undervalued.

The coaching improved by leaps & bounds, but the quality of players has been on par.
Old 03-17-2013   #183
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391709 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Nope, for instance the 2005 Niners gave up 11 more yards per game passing. The Texans were the worst that year.
Old 03-17-2013   #184
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I read the title to this thread I can't help but think 2 playoff wins in 7 years. He can't be that smart....
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #185
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Every time I read the title to this thread I can't help but think 2 playoff wins in 7 years. He can't be that smart....
There's definitely a lack of smarts somewhere down at reliant. Or maybe a lot of bad luck.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #186
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I think he did a good job putting the guys in positions to do what they do. I wouldn't say he cleaned up Rick Smith's mess, because then you're talking from a personnel perspective.

Many of those first & second round draft picks were here way before Wade. The value picks, Quin & McCain.... before Wade. Wade fixed Gary's mess, Rick has done a fairly decent (I'd say pretty good, but I don't like the guy) job getting players for our defense.

Jj Watt & Brooks Reed are similar to other guys Smithiak drafted before Wade.... Cushing, Demeco, Connor, Quin, McCain; they all fit the same mold.

Jjo & Manning are like their other FA signings; Antonio, Wade Smith, Pollard, Myers (trade).... all were fairly young (for FAs) that may have been undervalued.

The coaching improved by leaps & bounds, but the quality of players has been on par.
Smith did not draft DeMeco. That would be Casserly w/ Dan Reeves as the special consultant brought in by McNair specifically for that draft who got Ryans.

Cushing was sort of a no brainer considering many predicted it would be Cushing or Clay Mathews, but I guess considering Smith didn't screw it up we should at least give credit where credit is due.

McCain had 1 decent season as did Barwin so we honestly don't know if they will pan out or not. I think allowing them to walk does indicate their worth & value to the Texans & one decent season from each doesn't indicate that either player was a successful pick by Smith. I think both McCain & Barwin have potential, Barwin more so then McCain IMO, but the Texans didn't get too much from them & it remains to be seen if they actually become consistently good players. Hasnt quite earned the notch on Smith's belt IMO.

Quin was a very good pick, IMO, & Smith allowed him to walk. So a once good move could easily turn into a negative IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #187
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391709 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Smith did not draft DeMeco. That would be Casserly w/ Dan Reeves as the special consultant brought in by McNair specifically for that draft who got Ryans.
Oh goody, let's revise history again. You hate Kubiak so much you want to give credit to Casserly for DeMeco. It's laughable. Casserly was on his way out and Kubiak clearly was calling the shots. After the draft Kubiak said he was really glad he let Casserly talk him into picking OD.

Dan Reeves was not brought in for the draft either. He was hired prior to Capers even being fired - heck the season wasn't over. Link His consultant role went to HC and QB.

Quote:
McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,''
Last time I checked, a couple months from mid-December didn't get you to the draft.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-18-2013 at 01:06 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #188
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Oh goody, let's revise history again. You hate Kubiak so much you want to give credit to Casserly for DeMeco. It's laughable. Casserly was on his way out and Kubiak clearly was calling the shots. After the draft Kubiak said he was really glad he let Casserly talk him into picking OD.

Dan Reeves was not brought in for the draft either. He was hired prior to Capers even being fired - heck the season wasn't over. Link His consultant role went to HC and QB.
Lol! Are you serious? Reeves stayed until the draft was over. That's not revising, that's fact. Reeves assisted along the way in different aspects as it was, as you already stated, Casserly & Capers fair well & Kubiak's welcome. In the end, Casserly was the GM, Kubiak was the HC & Reeves was the special consultant hired by McNair heading into the draft. Rick Smith was not in the picture when DeMeco was drafted as it was stated by TK. Oh goody, now we are all clear again & one thing is for sure...Smith had no hand in DeMeco.

I never said Kubiak didn't have a part in the 2006 draft, so that comment & false assumption by you was completely off base & irrelevant. You are correct, I don't care for the job kubiak has done thus far, but that's for another thread.
Old 03-18-2013   #189
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:

Last time I checked, a couple months from mid-December didn't get you to the draft.
McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,'' but that he could remain with the Texans longer.

Since you decided to omit the last portion in your post, I went ahead & added it back in. I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.
Old 03-18-2013   #190
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.
Yeah buddy, let's trust your memory rather than a link. Or maybe he was so involved:

Quote:
"I don't know if they ever asked my advice, but I looked at (Young) and told them that he was a guy they would have to consider even with David Carr there."
Link

He was so involved he can't even remember if they ever asked him about the top pick in the draft.

As to "either way" your assertion regardless of what you were disputing was wrong. The 2006 draft was Kubiak's. I guess if it makes you happy you can say you were both wrong.
Old 03-18-2013   #191
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,'' but that he could remain with the Texans longer.

Since you decided to omit the last portion in your post, I went ahead & added it back in. I remember Reeves sticking around until the draft because many speculated Casserly wouldnt or couldnt be much help to Kubiak since he knew he would be let go. Either way, had nothing to do w/ Smith & that's what I disputed.
Your timeline is wrong. Reeves and Casserly had nothing to do with Ryans. I know that Kubiak said that Casserly pounded the proverbial table for Owen Daniels for the first pick of the second day of the draft (before they changed the format of course). He gets credit for that one for sure. Dan Reeves wanted Vince Young (not that this has anything to do with Ryans...but just relaying that he was way out there in relation to what the other Texans brain-trust were thinking) and said so himself on his Radio show. I have the thread...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/arc...p?t-32579.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #192
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary called the shots on the 2006 draft and did better than any draft in Texans history. IMHO

Rick had nothing to do with the 2006 draft.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #193
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole. Here was what you said:

Quote:
He was not brought in for the draft. "Could be retained longer which might possibly include through the draft" is the exact opposite of "brought in for the draft."
Old 03-18-2013   #194
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole. Here was what you said:

He was not brought in for the draft. "Could be retained longer which might possibly include through the draft" is the exact opposite of "brought in for the draft."
He was brought in to evaluate David Carr, give McNair some general NFL advice, and we later found out that he recommended that the Texans extend Carr and draft Vince Young. I don't know how much McNair paid for that, but holy moley that was some bad advice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #195
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He was brought in to evaluate David Carr, give McNair some general NFL advice, and we later found out that he recommended that the Texans extend Carr and draft Vince Young. I don't know how much McNair paid for that, but holy moley that was some bad advice.
Exactly with the addition I think he also was consulted about HC as well.
Old 03-18-2013   #196
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Smith did not draft DeMeco..
Quote:
As to "either way" your assertion regardless of what you were disputing was wrong. The 2006 draft was Kubiak's. I guess if it makes you happy you can say you were both wrong.
Quote:
Take your large font and stick it up your quote hole.
What part of "Smith did not draft DeMeco" is wrong? Absolutely nothing is the answer since you insist on ignoring the fact that that was what I was disputing from the get go. Granted, I possibly could have overestimated Reeves' involvement in the 2006 draft & I will concede that much, but even by the link you provided it seems that not many are truly sure of how much Reeves was actually involved in. In the end, what I was disputing was not wrong because Smith had nothing to do with DeMeco as the other poster suggested. Hopefully the large font will help you focus on what was actually being disputed & since you seem to appreciate it. Jk! Lol!
Old 03-18-2013   #197
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I agree, but in the link that infantry provided it states that it was unknown on which length of extention Reeves may have suggested for Carr. I don't know if we can hold Reeves solely responsible for that one considering a "QB guru" HC was hired & probably had an opinion on what he could do w/ Carr.

Who knows, but that was one of the best drafts overall for the Texans, but one of the worst IMO to have had the #1 overall pick because none of the top 3 picks have become true game changers that is normally expected of players selected that high.
Old 03-18-2013   #198
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Nope, for instance the 2005 Niners gave up 11 more yards per game passing. The Texans were the worst that year.
Right.... however, throughout the season "they" were saying "we" were on pace for the worst (maybe they said one of the worst) pass defenses in the league.

Quote:
Smith did not draft DeMeco.
My fault, freudian slip. I think of them as one person. You put them together & you've got a half decent GM. Still a little short on the HC end, but y'know. It is what it is.
Old 08-30-2013   #199
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Three -- 3! -- undrafted free agents will make this team's final 53 man roster.

That's ridiculously good. My hat is off to Rick & Co.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #200
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Three -- 3! -- undrafted free agents will make this team's final 53 man roster.

That's ridiculously good. My hat is off to Rick & Co.
On a team that is solidifying and has a lot of veteran players, that is remarkable.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read