Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013   #1221
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed to visit Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Ed himself might be saying "Ozzie, baby, you drafted me, I went to pro bowls here, I got a ring here, I got a home here; give me an offer I can't refuse? Help a brother out here"
Ed doesn't wanna relocate...... trust me that does make a difference.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1222
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Ed doesn't wanna relocate...... trust me that does make a difference.
Exactly. If he wanted to relocate he would have visited more teams than just the Texans.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1223
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

The word is that his agents are talking to seveal teams; only Houston gave him the magic carpet ride.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1224
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG you type a ton. Fair warning, I won't be able to keep up.
So if I bail, no offense lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
How is it Rick's fault that Gary hired a guy, Frank Bush, whom Gary waited upon until Frank Bush's contract with the Arizona Cardinals was up???
NONE of that is on Rick Smith. The bad defense was bad because of incompetency on the coaching level,
I think our 2010 secondary was clearly more of a talent issue.

Quote:
Therefore, sure, Rick is helping to stock the roster according to what the coaches say they want. Lists are made, inquiries to agents are made, tryouts are usually held, and then the team makes a decision.
Normally I might agree but I'm not so sure Bush asked for a nickel package consisting of Eugene Wilson, Bernard Pollard, rookie Kareem Jackson, Brice McCain, and Glover Quin with Zach Diles and an overtrained, suspended Cushing at LB.
That was a recipe for disaster. Plus did Bush forget how to coach after 2009? Or did the loss of Meco, Cushing, Robinson etc. make teams decide to keep us in nickel and just throw on every down?

Quote:
But hey, let's talk about the post-2010 decision and how we're "paying for it now." He relishes it you can see it in him when he speaks about his roles with the team. Neither Bob nor Gary want that blood on their hands. They're culpable, but they're insulated and distanced from it.
Now we've got something to honestly maintain and build upon, and people think we've mismanaged the team???????????? I don't get it, I guess.
I am not sure I would say mismanaged, and I'm not talking just about Rick Smith. Their problems are based mainly on poor drafting and personnel movement failures, not the free agent acquisitions that were needed to repair those mistakes. Okoye (1st), Fred Bennet (4th), Antwaun Molden (3rd), Xavier Adibi (4th), Frank Okam (5th), Antoine Caldwell (3rd) were total busts who didn't contribute. As a direct result you had to spend free agent money on Chris Meyers, Antonio Smith, JJo and Manning to cover up those holes you created. Look at the direct correlation between positions of draft busts and free agent cash. When Smith decided to give dunta robinson the boot, he failed to bring in a cheaper guy that could fill that hole with either his picks or a cheaper free agent.

I bring up the Schaub, Foster and Andre contracts as afterthoughts to the main problem. I am not saying paying those guys more than you had to killed the cap. But what is a better formula for winning, having Dre and Foster playing on contracts they don't like or cutting Winston, Barwin, Demeco and Quin? And I give them all kinds of credit for Antonio Smith, Chris Meyers, JJo and Manning. Great signings in places of need. You just had too many places of need.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1225
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
The word is that his agents are talking to seveal teams; only Houston gave him the magic carpet ride.
Talk in free agency only means I'm letting my girlfriend know I can leave her ass if you slip up. Ed knows who he wants to go to.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1226
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
I am not sure I would say mismanaged, and I'm not talking just about Rick Smith. Their problems are based mainly on poor drafting and personnel movement failures, not the free agent acquisitions that were needed to repair those mistakes. Okoye (1st), Fred Bennet (4th), Antwaun Molden (3rd), Xavier Adibi (4th), Frank Okam (5th), Antoine Caldwell (3rd) were total busts who didn't contribute.
You complain about this and neglect the rest of the 2009 draft? Or 2010/2011? That's being a bit disingenuous.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1227
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but even if we did sign Reed I wouldn't think we would get more than 2 decent years out of him. Smith and the FO counldn't get a deal inked while he was here so I am not getting my hopes up on Reed signing here. Just saying I would rather the FO go out and try to sign at least a serviceable safety instead of waiting for Reed when he may not even sign here anyway.
We don't have to get more than two seasons from Reed. We can draft a 2nd or third round in 2014 to train under Reed's last year or a 1st in 2015 to start. that is what would be good about getting a starter in FA, we can ignore safety in this coming draft.
Old 03-17-2013   #1228
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Dude, he isn't about to come here just because AJ is here.
I think playing with Aj clearly is not enough for him to play for a $5M pittance. That much is clear already.

Now he's going to dance with Baltimore, if there truly are no other suitors, & he will find out that Baltimore either values what he brings more than we do, or less.

If he goes to Baltimore for less than a 2 year $5M deal, we'll know exactly how much his friendship with Aj is worth.
Old 03-17-2013   #1229
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
You complain about this and neglect the rest of the 2009 draft? Or 2010/2011? That's being a bit disingenuous.
I am just showing the correlation between draft failures and cap problems.

From 2006-2009 you drafted 7 defensive backs and spent a 3rd two 4th's, 5th two 6th's and a 7th on them. In 2010 rookies Kareem and Sherrick McManis. For all of those draft picks the only thing you had to show for it was Quin, McCain (sorta) and Kareem(?). So 5 years of drafting and you have nothing for DB's you have to spend big in free agency. (JJo) Big cap hit.

2007 Amobi Okoye busts, 2008 Frank Okam busts, 2009 you have to sign Antonio Smith because Anthony Weaver also didn't pan out. Big Cap hit.

People are talking like we drafted so well we can't keep all of our players, the reality is, we drafted poorly and stole other players. We could still have every player we drafted since 2006 on the roster under the cap plus Dre easily.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1230
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Its going to be Ed Reed, or Charles Woodson.
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1231
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We don't have to get more than two seasons from Reed. We can draft a 2nd or third round in 2014 to train under Reed's last year or a 1st in 2015 to start. that is what would be good about getting a starter in FA, we can ignore safety in this coming draft.

Problem is, these guys have no clue how to draft secondary talent. Way more busts than legit NFL players.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1232
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll sign in baltimore. If he were going to be here he would've signed by now. Stop daydreaming about reed, woodson, or aso and start thing about a guy like sensabaugh. And before you ask, yes someone crapped in my cheerios.
Old 03-17-2013   #1233
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont care where Ed Reed signs but we better some news about houston signing someone significant this up coming week otherwise the texans FO isnt to serious about competeing IMO
Old 03-17-2013   #1234
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I dont care where Ed Reed signs but we better some news about houston signing someone significant this up coming week otherwise the texans FO isnt to serious about competeing IMO
Or maybe we don't have much money and flexibility because we have a bunch of guys to pay because we ARE serious about competing? Hm.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1235
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone needs to post that link about teams that go all-out in FA aren't the ones that end up succeeding as a result; sometimes slow and steady wins championships.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1236
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Or maybe we don't have much money and flexibility because we have a bunch of guys to pay because we ARE serious about competing? Hm.
Dude i dont mean a 20 million dollar a year guy, i mean a vet WR or Safety. Maybe a guy who can produce for cheap like Brandon Lloyd.

And yes i guess they paid Schaub big bucks because they are serious about competing. Your right

All that aside i know they are serious about competing but we dont need to go the route we went last season with the O-line. We dont need to sit back and think hey we will fill all our holes with the draft. Cause we do have enough cap to sign 2 vet guys who can start day 1.
Old 03-17-2013   #1237
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Someone needs to post that link about teams that go all-out in FA aren't the ones that end up succeeding as a result; sometimes slow and steady wins championships.
slow and steady for 10 years and counting...........

But we dont have money to break the bank but we do have holes to fill. So you think we should sign noone and just pull some people from the Practice Squad and fill holes with the draft.

People complain about Rick Sith and Co but after reading some of yalls suggestions we should all be blessed that they are running the show.
Old 03-17-2013   #1238
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW Ed Reed is at Reliant Stadium right now.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #1239
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
FWIW Ed Reed is at Reliant Stadium right now.
a link ??? I'm tired of going off of all these insiders with absolutely 0 insider info...
Old 03-17-2013   #1240
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
a link ??? I'm tired of going off of all these insiders with absolutely 0 insider info...
A friend of mine who works at Reliant saw him there.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read